I Love BB and have used them for many years but like many of you was disappointed with the PB and lack of updates for so long.

Does anybody (Kevin) have any insight they can share as to what Blackberry's commitment to updating the OS on an ongoing basis is? Also will the updates be through carriers or straight from BB like the PB?

I am willing to go out and pay money to get out of my contract and by the BB Z10 but I would like to know that BB is in our corner working there butts of to fix the "little" issues some are reporting in a quick manner?

Thanks
    02-04-13 01:44 PM
    Updates will be from BB and not carriers, they have moved to a single set of updates rather than hundreds of different carrier firmwares.

How committed are they.. well considering the companies future depends on it, I would think it is safe to say and based on my own conversations with BlackBerry they are totally committed to it.
    Scooter68 likes this.
    02-04-13 02:55 PM
    I would think that they are aiming for a patch a week or so before they go on sale in the US. At least they should be. If they want US consumers to take them seriously they need to show a commitment to frequent updates to address real concerns.
    02-04-13 04:02 PM
    I agree too they will be patching every issue as soon as they fix it.... i guess it would be a couple of patches/updates before launching on USA, Mexico and the rest of America...
    02-04-13 05:14 PM
    The voices in my head tell me that there will be at most one update before the US release.

Place your bets.
    02-04-13 05:45 PM
    As can be seen by the playbook's with 3g/4g, the idea that bb10 is disconnected from the carriers when it comes to updates simply doesn't add up at all and as such I would not expect to see overly frequent updates, the odds are that we will see something before the devices launch in the US, but it is most likely going to be updates to fix carrier-specific issues rather than being the same software as the american devices since changes to that would probably delay their launch further.

After that, the logical next time for an update would seem to be alongside the launch of the q10 when hopefully we will see some extra features and not just fixes.
    02-04-13 06:54 PM
    Carriers give support to its clients, so they have to approve and test any update. Recalling the delays in BB10 launch I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for updates.
    Although, the phone launched in USA could use a newer version of the OS.
    02-04-13 07:07 PM
    I guess it depends on your perspective. It seems to me that BB has continued to support the PB and even promised BB10 for a 2 year old tablet. By contrast, Android per agreement is supposed to support devices for a minimum of 18 months but I don't think they all hold up that part of the agreement.
    02-04-13 08:19 PM
    Updates every week? Every time they fix a bug? Eeekkkkk! This is not how development of software works. Maybe on a 1337 web app, but not on a integrated device like a smartphone. If we do get an update for the US launch it's because Verizon found something they did not like related to interacting with their network. They care more about their network and less about user experience when the carriers test it. If we happen to get a update any fixes will be from before the launch. The UK being the first "beta testers" will not yield any different software for the US Z10 launch. Software development in these areas do not move that fast. And you can bet your button that Verizon has the final say on any update. That's not to say we won't see updates. But anything significant is several months out after the US Z10 release!
    02-04-13 08:29 PM