I have searched and have not really found an answer, can someone please explain what an api is? And why it is so important to having apps run in the background. I like most people that don't have the knowledge don't understand why some of these apps seam to suck because they need to be running unlike our old blackberries that did eveyrthing in the background. .
    04-14-13 09:34 AM
    I have searched and have not really found an answer, can someone please explain what an api is? And why it is so important to having apps run in the background. I like most people that don't have the knowledge don't understand why some of these apps seam to suck because they need to be running unlike our old blackberries that did eveyrthing in the background. .
    Is a legit question. Hope this helps : Application programming interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Essentially API is tool a company like BlackBerry gives developers access to for use in program design.
    04-14-13 09:41 AM
    04-14-13 09:43 AM
    IMHO, when it comes to memory, I don't think there is a significant difference between an app like BeBuzz running as an active frame versus in the future when it will be able to be in the background when there is an api for it. It will still use the same listener code, etc.

Now as for a usability stand point, I would rather have BeBuzz in the background so I don't mistakenly close the active frame by mistake or something.

Posted via CB10
    Spawn12 and pfluger like this.
    04-14-13 09:50 AM
    a group of related code is called a library, a group of libraries is an api. phones have a limited amount of resources so it would be great if we could run apps in a state where they require less
    04-14-13 10:09 AM
    IMHO, when it comes to memory, I don't think there is a significant difference between an app like BeBuzz running as an active frame versus in the future when it will be able to be in the background when there is an api for it. It will still use the same listener code, etc.

Now as for a usability stand point, I would rather have BeBuzz in the background so I don't mistakenly close the active frame by mistake or something.

Posted via CB10
    There's the not closing it, but not entirely the point.

The point is so a user won't even have to open it to use, after initial setup of course.
    So these so-called headless apps will have persistent settings that survive device restarts / resets. "Set it and forget it," if you will.

This is how you CB10, son!
    04-17-13 11:16 AM