Basically, it's 80% when I say "call *****" then it asks "do you want to call now?" I say "yes" and it's either it gets it or it doesn't.

This is my one and only gripe with BlackBerry 10 OS. Please BlackBerry...FIX VOICE COMMAND!

Heck my Motorola Razr had better reliability and results when using voice command.

BlackBerry Z10 smartphone on Telus
    06-20-14 12:34 PM
    If you got 80% you are doing good....

Maybe it's my southern accent, but I've found voice commands to be useless on my Z10. Not that I know many people that bother with voice commands - even if they are using a system as good a SIRI is.
    06-20-14 12:54 PM
    If you got 80% you are doing good....

Maybe it's my southern accent, but I've found voice commands to be useless on my Z10. Not that I know many people that bother with voice commands - even if they are using a system as good a SIRI is.
    I pretty much use my voice commands when I use our second car (doesn't have infotainment /blutooth) and use my blueant visor speaker and my old school motorola blutooth ear piece in the company car.

Both using the visor speakerphone and earpiece come across issues as stated above.

When my Z10 is linked to our '13 Escape Ford SYNC MyTouch infotainment...that system has no problem understanding my voice commands since the contacts are downloaded first onto the system after its been paired initially.

But when I use the visor in our second car and earpiece in company car...Man does voice command suck.

Heck my Motorola Razr, BlackBerry Pearl, Storm, Storm 2, Torch 9800 and 9900 was dead on in reliability in comparison to BB10's voice command.

06-20-14 01:42 PM
    80%. I wish I got that! That is something that definitely needs to improve. For a professional oriented device BlackBerry REALLY needs to make that feature more easily used.
    06-20-14 02:07 PM
    80%. I wish I got that! That is something that definitely needs to improve. For a professional oriented device BlackBerry REALLY needs to make that feature more easily used.
    Agreed! For my needs...I'm not looking for a Siri or Cortana (Upcoming Windows Phone) to ask "What is the meaning of life?"

I just want it to do what a business phone is designed to do when I ask "Call Mike or what ever name I have on my contact list" when I'm driving.

"Send text" or "Read last message" is OK but still has some issues but for the love of god...at least make the "call so and so" or "dial ***-***-***" reliable like your older BlackBerry models.

That's what voice command if for correct? For hands free operation...

06-20-14 02:32 PM
    I just want it to do what a business phone is designed to do when I ask "Call Mike or what ever name I have on my contact list" when I'm driving.

...at least make the "call so and so" or "dial ***-***-***"
    I just pressed and held the "play/pause" button on the side of the phone and held it for a moment, the phone beeped, and up popped a little microphone icon, so I said "call Lauren" and up popped a list of 3 names from my Contacts app, Lauren, Laura & Lorne. The phone lady voice asked "who would you like to call?" and she read out all three names. I said "Lauren" as clearly as I could and it placed the call immediately.

I tried this with 2 other names and it found them and called them immediately. What's not business-like about that?

Posted via CB10
    06-20-14 06:18 PM
    I just pressed and held the "play/pause" button on the side of the phone and held it for a moment, the phone beeped, and up popped a little microphone icon, so I said "call Lauren" and up popped a list of 3 names from my Contacts app, Lauren, Laura & Lorne. The phone lady voice asked "who would you like to call?" and she read out all three names. I said "Lauren" as clearly as I could and it placed the call immediately.

I tried this with 2 other names and it found them and called them immediately. What's not business-like about that?

Posted via CB10
    tuned for a canadian accent, ah
    06-20-14 06:51 PM

Posted via CB10
    When I ask it to call John for example (can't get any more simpler than that) it then says "which number for john do you want to call, home, work or mobile? " I say work...it then sometimes says "the voice command wasn't understood" and repeats the same question.

If it gets it right and I say "yes", every now and then it says "the voice command wasn't understood" even though I've said YES pretty damn clear.

Also...if I don't have a contact and ask to dial the 7 digit number...holy crap, at least it's about 95 percent correct. But honestly WTF...I don't have an accent, my accent is like any other English speaking born and raised in North America, typical run of the mill American/Canadian sitcoms, CNN, BNN, ABC, NBC, CBC, and Hockey Night in Canada announcers etc...

I don't use the side button because it's on the center console when I drive. I just tap the button on my Motorola blutooth earpiece to activate voice command or when in the other vehicle. I just say "BluAnt speak to me" which accesses the Z10's blutooth. Then I say phone commands...then the Z10 voice command comes out

As I said, in terms of the most basic call this and that...my old school Motorola Razr and older BBs right up to the 9900 had no issues with these basic commands.

BlackBerry 10 voice commands is around 80 to 90 percent and the delay when asking it to call...that's another story.

Last edited by qphone; 06-21-14 at 08:06 AM.
    06-20-14 07:58 PM
    Ensure that the wifi is not turned on when using voice control! That results in the unable to connect to server error message! Even I, one of the staunchest blackberry champions around will admit, voice control on both of my z10's suck a$$ in a major way.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-14 09:28 PM
    Ensure that the wifi is not turned on when using voice control! That results in the unable to connect to server error message! Even I, one of the staunchest blackberry champions around will admit, voice control on both of my z10's suck a$$ in a major way.

Posted via CB10
    My wifi is always off unless I need it. Thank you for confirming that Voice Command on BB10 needs to be addressed and that it sucks donkey balls. LOL

On a side note...I too get that "Unable to connect to the server" response as well every now and then and when I have a quick look, I have full bars of LTE coverage.

To resolve the issue, I continue to drive and try again in a few minutes or pull over, dial the number myself and continue on with the drive using the visor or earpiece to talk. One thing I have noticed, is that that server issue intermittently happens when I'm connected to my blutooth earpiece or blutooth visor speakerphone.

Using the Ford MyTouch Infotainment which also uses complete Voice Commands (obviously paired with the Z10) has never had an issue with "Unable to connect to the server" let alone calling a contact or dialing a number all through voice.

Both the Ford MyTouch and the BluAnt Visor downloads all the contacts first during the initial pairing process. The Motorola blutooth earpiece, does not.

So to recap...Ford MyTouch that does not use BB10'S voice (uses its own which actually sounds more human/less robotic), no issues

Both Visor and Earpiece...intermittent issues because BB10'S voice comes through the visor speakerphone/blutooth earpiece in addition to pressing the Z10's middle side button to access voice command to go directly to the visor/earpiece or the phone itself.

Last edited by qphone; 06-21-14 at 08:32 AM.
    06-21-14 01:42 AM
    Speak the Queens English and you'll be right... otherwise you're poked!!

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.3175
    06-21-14 06:00 AM
    Oh, didn't you know you have to speak your best BBC English to get any proper response from voice command.

Now repeat after me......the rain in Spain stays............hehe! ; )

Careful! Z10....er..... BlackDroid in action!
    FF22 likes this.
    06-21-14 06:05 AM
    Oh, didn't you know you have to speak your best BBC English to get any proper response from voice command.

Now repeat after me......the rain in Spain stays............hehe! ; )

Careful! Z10....er..... BlackDroid in action!
    Or an Aussie or Kiwi accent...G'Day Mate!

Or...

Last edited by qphone; 06-21-14 at 08:46 AM.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    06-21-14 08:22 AM
    I pretty much use my voice commands when I use our second car (doesn't have infotainment /blutooth) and use my blueant visor speaker and my old school motorola blutooth ear piece in the company car.

Both using the visor speakerphone and earpiece come across issues as stated above.

When my Z10 is linked to our '13 Escape Ford SYNC MyTouch infotainment...that system has no problem understanding my voice commands since the contacts are downloaded first onto the system after its been paired initially.

But when I use the visor in our second car and earpiece in company car...Man does voice command suck.

Heck my Motorola Razr, BlackBerry Pearl, Storm, Storm 2, Torch 9800 and 9900 was dead on in reliability in comparison to BB10's voice command.

They must have improved it lol. In my 08 it gets it right sometimes. I'll say call Butch. And it'll say calling work? Or calling Laura? How the heck it gets those out of Butch I'll never figure out.
    06-21-14 08:41 AM
    Yes...so far so good in the '13 Ford MyTouch Voice Command powered by Microsoft.

Can't wait to how it works when Ford switches over to QNX And to have that small badge saying "Powered by BlackBerry QNX".

kbz1960 likes this.
    06-21-14 08:50 AM
    Ensure that the wifi is not turned on when using voice control! That results in the unable to connect to server error message!
    I use voice command all the time with voice command and it works perfectly.

Maybe your wifi signal is significantly slower than your mobile connection?

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 10:19 AM
    ... I'll say call Butch. And it'll say calling work? Or calling Laura? How the heck it gets those out of Butch I'll never figure out.
    It gets it every time when I say "call Butch", and I do have a couple of Laura's in my contacts and it never calls them when I say "call Butch".

Check out my video as "proof"!!!:

Maybe it's "how" you're saying it LOL
    06-21-14 11:06 AM
    It gets it every time when I say "call Butch", and I do have a couple of Laura's in my contacts and it never calls them when I say "call Butch".

Check out my video as "proof"!!!:

Maybe it's "how" you're saying it LOL
    Touche!

Here's my proof. I'm calling my Mother in-law in West Vancouver (she has two profiles on my contact list... her MagicJack Number and her Mobile number). Don't want to say Mom because that's my own mother.

After it gives me the two options...I very clearly say "Mom West Van".

And what does Voice Command ask me? "Which number for MagicJack Mom West Van do you want to call home or work?"

How did MagicJack Mom West Van get selected when I clearly and concisely said "MOM WEST VAN" ???????

Last edited by qphone; 06-21-14 at 12:24 PM.
    06-21-14 12:07 PM
    From experience, in-car microphones are much less susceptible to road noise whereas the microphone on your phone may be picking up road noise. Some cars are noisier than others too. Just saying, don't forget that. Road noise does sometimes make it harder for voice commands to pick up a command clearly. It may work better in a quiet room and not as well when driving. Can it be improved? Perhaps. And maybe we will see a big improvement with their Intelligent Assistant on 10.3. I hope so anyway.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 12:21 PM
    From experience, in-car microphones are much less susceptible to road noise whereas the microphone on your phone may be picking up road noise. Some cars are noisier than others too. Just saying, don't forget that. Road noise does sometimes make it harder for voice commands to pick up a command clearly. It may work better in a quiet room and not as well when driving. Can it be improved? Perhaps. And maybe we will see a big improvement with their Intelligent Assistant on 10.3. I hope so anyway.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed that road noise can be a factor but as you can see from my youtube video above...Voice Command is still having an issue even in a quiet room.

Hoping Intelligent Assistant in 10.3 will be day and night in comparison to the current version of Voice Command.

Oh well...when all else fails, I use the old way by manually dialing the number. Mind you when I'm driving and had to do that, I actually pull over. Once I'm connected I proceed while conversing on the visor or earpiece.

06-21-14 12:34 PM
    ... I'm calling my Mother in-law in West Vancouver (she has two profiles on my contact list... her MagicJack Number and her Mobile number). Don't want to say Mom because that's my own mother.

After it gives me the two options...I very clearly say "Mom West Van".

And what does Voice Command ask me? "Which number for MagicJack Mom West Van do you want to call home or work?"

How did MagicJack Mom West Van get selected when I clearly and concisely said "MOM WEST VAN" ???????
    Well... I'm not sure how your contacts are organized, but I have a suggestion. It sounds to me that you have your mother-in-law entered into your contacts list twice, once as "West Van Mom" and a second listing as "Magic Jack West Van Mom". Seems to me this is begging the system to screw it up.

Instead, maybe you should just have one contact listing for one person, "West Van Mom". Put her Magic Jack # as the home phone #, and her cell # as her mobile phone #. Then it should work like this:

"Call West Van Mom"
    "Which number would you like to call, home or mobile"

Try that.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 01:52 PM
    Well... I'm not sure how your contacts are organized, but I have a suggestion. It sounds to me that you have your mother-in-law entered into your contacts list twice, once as "West Van Mom" and a second listing as "Magic Jack West Van Mom". Seems to me this is begging the system to screw it up.

Instead, maybe you should just have one contact listing for one person, "West Van Mom". Put her Magic Jack # as the home phone #, and her cell # as her mobile phone #. Then it should work like this:

"Call West Van Mom"
    "Which number would you like to call, home or mobile"

Try that.

Posted via CB10
    What's weird is that using my Ford Infotainment Voice command and say "Call Mom West Van", "Call Mom", "Call MagicJack Mom West Van" has no issue and will call the name and the associated number that I entered into my Z10's contacts list.

I will however try your suggestion. Thx

Going back to the Z10's Voice Command...I've already tried "Call Mom". All it does is go to my own mother's contact info and associated numbers. It did not bring up Mom West Van nor MagicJack Mom West Van as options. I wanted to differentiate the command "MOM" to help separate between my own mom and my mother in-law.

Again...you can't get any simpler than a straight forward command "MOM" and "MOM West Van" or even "MagicJack MOM West Van" which the phone doesn't have a problem reading back to me. But...when I say yes to MOM West Van and says to me "Do you want to call MagicJack Mom West Van"...that, I don't understand.

If I ask it to "DIAL 604 blah, blah, blah..." It then says, "Do you want to call "Mom West Van now?" I guess you win some you lose some. Also...I'm quite tech savvy as I run my own I.T. Services Business. So as I tell many of my own customers, "Man made machines are not perfect."

Just slightly perturbed that simple calling works flawlessly on older BB models that I've owned including my old school Motorola Razr/Krzr/Razr2 and going to an advanced QNX RTOS...not so flawless. Oh well...life goes on...
    06-21-14 02:11 PM
    What's weird is that using my Ford Infotainment Voice command and say "Call Mom West Van", "Call Mom", "Call MagicJack Mom West Van" has no issue and will call the name and the associated number that I entered into my Z10's contacts list.

I will however try your suggestion. Thx

Going back to the Z10's Voice Command...I've already tried "Call Mom". All it does is go to my own mother's contact info and associated numbers. It did not bring up Mom West Van nor MagicJack Mom West Van as options. I wanted to differentiate the command "MOM" to help separate between my own mom and my mother in-law...

...I'm quite tech savvy as I run my own I.T. Services Business.
    From what I read of your issue, which seems unusual, (when voice command recognizes "mom" and what it picks up when it does), it probably comes down to what contact fields it searches & in which priority (such as first name, last name, etc.) versus the way you have entered those names in the contact database. Just hazarding a guess is all.

But if you go back to basic database design, it is important to know which relationships are unique ("one-to-one") and which are not ("one-to-many" or "many-to-one"). An individual person only has one name (albeit comprised of separate elements such as first name, middle name, last name, suffix). That is a unique relationship. But one person can have many phone numbers. You have entered your data in the opposite way. You have set up 2 contact names for the same person. And you have one phone for each of those contacts. You are certainly free to organize your data that way. But I'm not terribly surprised to hear that a Contacts app and associated voice command system (which have been designed to handle one contact for one individual person (and with perhaps more than one phone number for each contact) doesn't work very well when the information is fed in differently... namely each individual can have more than one contact and each contact has one phone number.

How did it work when you tried my suggestion?

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 05:05 PM
    Here's Ford MyTouch Infotainment having no issues when I ask to call "Mom West Van."

It didn't ask if I wanted "MagicJack Mom West Van" or "Mom West Van" like the BlackBerry 10 Voice Command does as per my earlier youtube post ...the Ford MyTouch called exactly what I told it to do.

06-21-14 05:06 PM
    Mine all work wonderful, even with complicated tasks like navigation.

06-21-14 05:10 PM
29 12