When will we ever be able to back up our Z10's on the fly like a Curve 9320? Seriously, with all these updates, one would think this feature would be offered to us Z10 users by now! I mean, come on! This feature is available to the Curve series phones!

Posted Via Z10 or Q5, depending on my mood
    FF22 and 00stryder like this.
    12-08-13 04:01 PM
    Are you referring to BB protect where you can backup OTA?
    12-08-13 04:42 PM
    Yup.

Posted via CB10
    12-08-13 04:44 PM
    You hit one of my pet peeves. I was severely disappointed when BB Protect was included in BB 10 without the OTA backup/restore capability. I can't say what I really feel, or I'd have to give myself an infraction for inappropriate language. Requests to return BB Protect to it's former glory are in the BetaZone forum, and I hope to see it return.
    FF22 and 00stryder like this.
    12-08-13 08:12 PM
    Well, for supposedly being a more "premium " device, one would think this would come standard. They really need to stop making the BlackBerry Curve 9320 look better than the Z10 in this area. It is to laugh...

Posted via CB10
    12-08-13 08:38 PM
    Yup.

Posted via CB10
    then I'm with you. I was disappointed to see (on the wife's Q10) that this feature is gone. I believe with BB10 they are forcing you to use BB Link, however I believe I also read somewhere here that the reason why that feature was removed because the BB10 device backs- up a lot of uncompressed data unlike the legacy devices on BIS
    12-08-13 09:49 PM
    It appears that the Curve 9320 has BB10 beat in this aspect. Shameful, to say the least.

Posted via CB10
    12-08-13 10:56 PM
    When will we ever be able to back up our Z10's on the fly like a Curve 9320? Seriously, with all these updates, one would think this feature would be offered to us Z10 users by now! I mean, come on! This feature is available to the Curve series phones!

Posted Via Z10 or Q5, depending on my mood
    Go get Fire Chest Backup. It's free in BB World.

Checkout 'Fire Chest Dot Com' too. You're gonna love what's coming. Will post some screen shots of new version in official app thread on CrackBerry.
    MiSsY_ likes this.
    12-15-13 08:05 AM
    There are a bunch of apps in BlackBerry World that are able to let you backup your device. But I do agree, I was really disappointed when BlackBerry Protect didn't have a feature to backup your device over the air. Although I can live with having to plug it into a computer then backing up, I would still love it if they added that feature back.
    12-15-13 08:08 AM
    Maybe backing up settings would be good, as far as apps, well they get pretty huge so backing them up to the web would not be feasible and don't even start to think of media. I just did a 3 GB backup, that would screw me totally if OTA. As for most media, there is Box, Dropbox, and so on. Apps, those are done already, BlackBerry world. Contacts and calender data are done through the email account itself unless for some reason you decide that only local data is entered.
    12-15-13 08:44 AM
    I don't know about the Curve but there are a ton of ways to back up and sync with the z10. Mine syncs to my home computer -- from anywhere in the world -- which is a feature I adore.
    12-15-13 08:53 AM
    Go get Fire Chest Backup. It's free in BB World.

Checkout 'Fire Chest Dot Com' too. You're gonna love what's coming. Will post some screen shots of new version in official app thread on CrackBerry.
    +10000000
    Exactly what I was going to suggest

Give it a try OP it really works brilliantly, just used it to transfer everything from the Remember App on my Z10 to my Z30, it brought everything over perfectly and kept notes as they were

Posted via CB10 from my Z30
    FireChestApps likes this.
    12-15-13 11:44 AM
    Maybe backing up settings would be good, as far as apps, well they get pretty huge so backing them up to the web would not be feasible and don't even start to think of media. I just did a 3 GB backup, that would screw me totally if OTA. As for most media, there is Box, Dropbox, and so on. Apps, those are done already, BlackBerry world. Contacts and calender data are done through the email account itself unless for some reason you decide that only local data is entered.
    They could make it user-selective like BBOS, and restrict it to data included in the Settings partition (which is rarely above 100 mb, if that, unless you have a lot of information for some reason) since most people are really just looking for contacts, calendar, SMS/text and app tray layouts backed up. Certainly that won't require large amounts of data uploads/downloads (or, like with Dropbox/Box/BlackBerry World, the device can allow the user to designate whether syncing occurs on wifi-only or via cellular data as well). It's not a matter of whether you can restore contacts/calendar via email account sign-in, which is what I use, but rather having a central place to store everything and having the option to store it in that manner if so desired.

The SD card support allows users to store media on external memory, which I think most of us choose to do, so there's little that needs to be backed up there. Plus, Link allows media folder syncing with your desktop machine anyway, via USB or wifi.

As for apps, yes BlackBerry World stores which apps you have associated with your BBID account, but what it doesn't do is let you store/backup app data/save states in games, which I think is much more important for people (at least for me it is). With the now obvious decision to integrate Android into the OS as much as possible, BlackBerry should allow Android apps/games to also backup, though possibly separate from native files to maintain security and the integrity of the OS. Why the "Games" app doesn't store save states for at least games that support Scoreloop is beyond me. Regardless, when first signing in with your BBID on a fresh OS install, for example, the system should be allowed to check to see if you have any save data stored in the cloud and let you select which data point to restore from. There are individual apps that do this for themselves (e.g. Real Racing 3, Candy Crush sideload via Facebook) but this is not a feature that is available globally. This is one of many areas where I believe that iOS has BB10 beat, unfortunately.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 12:11 PM