my mobile notification experience

a bit about my previous phone experience. I started in the early 90's using a very tiny "beeper". My beeper would be hanging on my belt (women had it on many places even wristbands and neclaces) . If someone sent me message, i would hear a beep or a vibration. I just had to look down towards my belt to see the screen and determine if the message was important (no need to pull the device from my belt).

if the message was long and important, I would take the device out of my belt and read it or phone the sender if the message was just a number to call back, using a phone of course.

then i added a tiny phone. it was a motorola startac. it had a light at the top, I could see if i missed a call, out of service area, incoming calls etc (no need to pull my phone out my belt unless i want to read a message or make a call).

not having to grab these devices every time i had a notification was great. the devices were rarely away from my belt. Unless, I was charging my battery. Meaning, I could be in class or in a meeting and avoid looking "antisocial" or "not interested" by having these devices on my hands.

after these devices, I move to another country and since I did not need mobile comunication. I spent some years without mobile devices.

then in 2008, the first phone i got was the bb curve. I was amazed by all the stuff i could do now but something I realized is that the phone cannot be kept on my belt as my previous devices as i had to constantly look at the device for any minor thing as the notification light is at the front rather than the top and no small screen to read messages like my beeper. so i kept my phone on my shirt pocket. then I added a playbook. great how these two devices team up. I could get my phone notifications on my playbook and text, email from phone using my playbook.

come blackberry z10. I got this phone recently. I lost a lot of the team work capabilities with my playbook but still is ok.

i'm able to use different vibrations , led colors, sounds (thanks to apps like bebuzz, hub ++, etc) to determine who is messaging me but I STILL have to grab the phone to read what is the message about.....my phone spends most of its time on the desk, table, etc. How come in 2014 you have to grab the phone constantly? this was not an issue decades ago.

after some research, i see people are using smartwatches for this to determine if a notification is worth to grab the phone but these devices are more expensive than my phone lol.
    how come having a device that receives messages from your phone is so expensive and so geeky looking?

i find while we can send lots of information with phones these days. We are going backwards in the notifications aspect of things.
    01-06-14 05:54 PM
    my mobile notification experience

a bit about my previous phone experience. I started in the early 90's using a very tiny "beeper". My beeper would be hanging on my belt (women had it on many places even wristbands and neclaces) . If someone sent me message, i would hear a beep or a vibration. I just had to look down towards my belt to see the screen and determine if the message was important (no need to pull the device from my belt).

if the message was long and important, I would take the device out of my belt and read it or phone the sender if the message was just a number to call back, using a phone of course.

then i added a tiny phone. it was a motorola startac. it had a light at the top, I could see if i missed a call, out of service area, incoming calls etc (no need to pull my phone out my belt unless i want to read a message or make a call).

not having to grab these devices every time i had a notification was great. the devices were rarely away from my belt. Unless, I was charging my battery. Meaning, I could be in class or in a meeting and avoid looking "antisocial" or "not interested" by having these devices on my hands.

after these devices, I move to another country and since I did not need mobile comunication. I spent some years without mobile devices.

then in 2008, the first phone i got was the bb curve. I was amazed by all the stuff i could do now but something I realized is that the phone cannot be kept on my belt as my previous devices as i had to constantly look at the device for any minor thing as the notification light is at the front rather than the top and no small screen to read messages like my beeper. so i kept my phone on my shirt pocket. then I added a playbook. great how these two devices team up. I could get my phone notifications on my playbook and text, email from phone using my playbook.

come blackberry z10. I got this phone recently. I lost a lot of the team work capabilities with my playbook but still is ok.

i'm able to use different vibrations , led colors, sounds (thanks to apps like bebuzz, hub ++, etc) to determine who is messaging me but I STILL have to grab the phone to read what is the message about.....my phone spends most of its time on the desk, table, etc. How come in 2014 you have to grab the phone constantly? this was not an issue decades ago.

after some research, i see people are using smartwatches for this to determine if a notification is worth to grab the phone but these devices are more expensive than my phone lol.
    how come having a device that receives messages from your phone is so expensive and so geeky looking?

i find while we can send lots of information with phones these days. We are going backwards in the notifications aspect of things.
    This is relatively new tech. Design aesthetics are likely to improve. At this point I think that I would personally enjoy the functionality enough to not be bothered by the aesthetics. I haven't bought one yet, but my birthday is later this month.
    01-07-14 09:08 AM
    I guess I'll buy the smartwatch lol. At I can ge it for $15.00 off in best buy Canada lol

Posted via CB10
    01-07-14 01:49 PM
    Before you only had text messages on the beeper.
    Then you moved up to the Star-tac phone where missed calls and message notifications were prevalent.

Now you've move up to the smart phones, where you have multiple email addresses (personal/work), you get text messages, BBM messages, calendar notifications, alarms, Internet notifications, app updates, app notifications, everything rolled into one convenient phone.
    You'll never know what notification you have until you look at the screen.
    Technology is ever changing... things that are supposed to make our lives easier, really control us more.

Post via my ? Z10!
    01-07-14 05:57 PM