BBRY Sold 1 million Z10 Quarter ending March 2, 2013

A comparison of smartphone and tablet shipments by Research in Motion Ltd. and Apple Inc. - The Washington Post

Research In Motion Ltd. said Thursday that it sold a million BlackBerry 10 phones, out of a total of about 6 million BlackBerrys. BlackBerry devices have been losing market share to rivals, such as Apple Inc.�s iPhone, and the new phone is part of the Canadian company�s comeback efforts. Here are details on the number of devices RIM and Apple shipped in recent quarters, with percentage change from the same period a year earlier.

� Quarter ending March 2, 2013: 6 million BlackBerry smartphones (down 56 percent), 370,000 PlayBook tablets (down 26 percent)

� Quarter ending Dec. 1, 2012: 6.9 million BlackBerry smartphones (down 51 percent), 255,000 PlayBook tablets (up 70 percent)

� Quarter ending Sept. 1, 2012: 7.4 million BlackBerry smartphones (down 30 percent), 130,000 PlayBook tablets (down 35 percent)

� Quarter ending June 2, 2012: 7.8 million BlackBerry smartphones (down 41 percent), 260,000 PlayBook tablets (down 48 percent)

� Quarter ending March 3, 2012: 11.1 million BlackBerry smartphones (down 26 percent), 500,000 PlayBook tablets (not on sale previous year)

APPLE:

� Quarter ending Dec. 29, 2012: 47.8 million iPhones (up 29 percent), 22.9 million iPads (up 49 percent)

� Quarter ending Sept. 29, 2012: 26.9 million iPhones (up 58 percent), 14.0 million iPads (up 26 percent)

� Quarter ending June 30, 2012: 26.0 million iPhones (up 28 percent), 17.0 million iPads (up 84 percent)

� Quarter ending March 31, 2012: 35.1 million iPhones (up 88 percent), 11.8 million iPads (increase of about 2.5 times)

� Quarter ending Dec. 31, 2011: 37 million iPhones (more than double), 15.4 million iPads (more than double)

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    03-28-13 08:58 AM
    Wow, I'm selling my Z10 and buying an iPhone. The number of other people using the same platform as me is a crucial factor in my decision to use one OS over another, as I'm sure is the case for every person. In fact, I feel stupid for not asking the store for sales figures when I purchased my phone.
    03-28-13 09:23 AM
    It will be interesting to see apples number s this coming quarter. I think they will be way down. Then let's see the comparison. Course there will probably be some excuse for Apple, probably by blaming BlackBerry somehow!! LOL!!

Posted via CB10
    beamolite likes this.
    03-28-13 09:25 AM
    Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    I lol`d
    eldricho, ErinnM and eninrebmun like this.
    03-28-13 09:28 AM
    Yes apple continues to cannibalized their own product lines by flooding the market with "Newer" products. Ie larger screen, a letter after a model number and even more storage space!

Ifatigue may not have set in fully yet but it's bound to happen.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 Oreo
    03-28-13 09:28 AM
    I lol`d
    Lol didn't notice that before. Ha!

03-28-13 09:29 AM
    I went to the article expecting there to be some point in posting these stats. There didn't appear to be a point except the obvious...Apple sells more devices than BlackBerry......no sh#t einstein!

What a waste of column inches.
    03-28-13 09:30 AM
    So if all your friends jump off a cliff you are going to follow them? Well good riddance, SEE YA!!!!!!!
    03-28-13 09:31 AM
    Also notice that blackberry didn't even release a new product in 2012???
    03-28-13 09:32 AM
    Despite the numbers, BlackBerry isn't gunning for the #1 spot... at least for now!
    03-28-13 09:37 AM
    Where are they getting there "down X percent" number from for phones or up for Apple for phones? The numbers displayed Apple should have had a down percent number for June 30, 2012, and BlackBerry's numbers are way out of whack too. Is this over the previous years numbers, or previous Quarters?
    03-28-13 09:57 AM
    Where are they getting there "down X percent" number from for phones or up for Apple for phones? The numbers displayed Apple should have had a down percent number for June 30, 2012, and BlackBerry's numbers are way out of whack too. Is this over the previous years numbers, or previous Quarters?
    year over year. it states it in the body of the post
    lnichols likes this.
    03-28-13 10:02 AM
    So what? Why would I care about this? Nobody ever questioned that apple is selling well. Good for them. They have a product that alot of people like. Blackberry just released a new product. They made a profit. They sold a million units with limited release. New phones coming out throughout the year. I don't really care to see a comparison between the 2 companies. All I care about is knowing I have the best phone on the market, hands down (z10!), Blackberry is a company that is rising out of the ashes, and I'm very proud to be part of it. I'm looking foward to being with BB for years to come. Good for apple.....hope they continue to do well, because all that will do is will force more inovation by everyone, and that just means great phones for all us consumers. But right now....Blackberry has the best phone on the market, and I'm sticking with them.
    bintheredundat, RECOOL and ErinnM like this.
    03-28-13 10:15 AM
    Wow, Apple sells alot of phones... Jesus...
    03-28-13 10:40 AM
    Sounds legit.

Epic fail!
    03-28-13 11:38 AM
    I lol`d
    Should've read a bit more
    03-28-13 11:39 AM
    Yes apple continues to cannibalized their own product lines by flooding the market with "Newer" products. Ie larger screen, a letter after a model number and even more storage space!

This makes no sense. You might say Apple is cannabalizing its own products with newer and different models. Not sure though if Apple cares if somebody is not going to buy the new iPad because instead they are buying the new iPad mini. Did you actually see how many iDevices apple sold last quarter?
    03-28-13 11:46 AM

A letter after a model number. LOL
    03-28-13 12:01 PM
    This makes no sense. You might say Apple is cannabalizing its own products with newer and different models. Not sure though if Apple cares if somebody is not going to buy the new iPad because instead they are buying the new iPad mini. Did you actually see how many iDevices apple sold last quarter?
    I do say they are cannibalizing their own products. And so do the execs at Apple. And no, they don't care that people are buying iDevice after iDevice, that's their objective. And that's my point. The model is working now and has for the last few years. But how much longer until people get tired of the same 'ol? Eventually Ifatigue will set in.

http://www.zdnet.com/apples-brave-ol...on-7000010250/

03-28-13 02:23 PM

What will you say when BlackBerry does the same thing?
    03-28-13 02:34 PM
    every company does it. Samsung is doing the same with the galaxy line up. Google has been doing it with the nexus line. Also the smartphone world is growing still. Every person with a flip phone or no mobile phone is a potential smartphone buyer. The more choices you have the better. In todays time you have to have a new phone every year. How well you think the z10 is going to sell this time next year when the competition has their new lineup coming. The sales people will say "that phone is a year old and for the same price you can have this brand new HTC/samsung/etc" I doubt they will be charging the same price in a year but you get the point. I dont see a time when what apple or samsung is not going to be beneficial to them. Even if they dont sell record numbers every quarter both those companies sell close to the same number of devices that RIM sold all of last year.
    03-28-13 04:19 PM
    This shows a good reason why the sales person at a carrier store would focus on i-products. The probability of a sale and commission is simply greater than for something selling 1/25th as many units.
    03-29-13 08:40 AM