Long story short... I was invited to a BBRY-sponsored private forum on the Z10 but was promptly "kicked off" because I know too much. The moderators thanked for my willingness to participate but made the very valid point that the target audience would be highly influenced by my strong voice and the results of the forum would be skewed. Naturally, I protested and here is the response that I received:
    -----------------------------------------
    Hi Maurice,

Thanks for getting back to me.

It's more that the "super user" perspective isn't quite right for this particular forum - I'm sure that BlackBerry are very keen to get your perspective outside of the group context. I'll forward over some questions to your tomorrow that we can run through over email, which we'll take into account in our analysis, but not have as part of the group discussion

Thanks [moderator]
    ---------------------------------------------------
    And here is the challenge that I received
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Imagine that the CEO of BlackBerry has asked you for your feedback on what is going really well for the Z10 and what needs improvement. Write your feedback in the form of a letter, sharing with them what you think they have done well or not so well lately, and tell them from your perspective what they should be focusing on in the future.

Now its your turn. If you are so inclined, please help me write a response. I am suggesting the following three guidelines (with an emphasis on the third one):
    1. I do not want this to be repository for negativity. If you do not have any comments in the spirit of "what-have-they-done-well-lately-but-nevertheless-can-be-improved" I would like you to keep your thoughts to yourselves. I am hereby asking CB moderators to remove any trash that might detract from the intent of this thread.
    2. Please be as brief as possible Focus, people, focus. Rambling rants are not what I am looking for. I am going to be providing the moderator with a link to this thread and I don't want him to regret asking me for my feedback.
    3. Please re-read the first two guidelines.
    04-29-13 07:10 AM
    Needs improvement:
    Marketing approach and perceived product image for USA, at least,
    US Carrier approach and attitude to the BB brand needs improving/mentoring/massaging

More Rapid bug fix communication (I think better communication from BB to its customer base, ref bugs, would help)
    (Copy bug list from CB Z10 Forum here)

Going Well:
    Great new platform (sans minor growing pains)
    Nice quantum leap in hardware/OS from previous generation or devices

Just my $0.05
    04-29-13 07:18 AM
    Needs improvement:
    Marketing approach and perceived product image for USA, at least,
    US Carrier approach and attitude to the BB brand needs improving/mentoring/massaging

More Rapid bug fix communication (I think better communication from BB to its customer base, ref bugs, would help)
    (Copy bug list from CB Z10 Forum here)

Going Well:
    Great new platform (sans minor growing pains)
    Nice quantum leap in hardware/OS from previous generation or devices

Just my $0.05
    I agree with GrumpyAeroGuy.

Posted via CB10
    trynacu2 likes this.
    04-29-13 07:22 AM
    fix the link to Outlook (tasks, notes)
    04-29-13 07:32 AM
    fix the link to Outlook (tasks, notes)
    Tasks and notes are somewhat covered in the Remember app but I do not use these much. How does the implementation compare with OS6 and 7? Would someone care to comment on general problems with the Remember app and (multiple) alarms? Evernote integration? Other things that affected your smooth transition to Z10?
    04-29-13 08:00 AM
    I want my z10 to be able to beam images from the hubble space craft when ever I want to and then beam them around the world in less then 20 secs.

Other then that the z10 pretty much fits perfectly with my expectations and needs nothing further.
    bbfan1040 and husnain1 like this.
    04-29-13 08:12 AM
    Fix the contacts app please!

Posted vai CB10 - STL 100-01
    04-29-13 08:15 AM

Second that...Please fix it.

Posted via CB10
    shivaji likes this.
    04-29-13 08:18 AM

I need some details around this. What are the two or three main problems with the Contacts app from your perspective? If possible compare with legacy BBs.
    04-29-13 08:18 AM
    I am starting to write my official response and this is my first point. Setting up email was the only "problem" that I encountered on day one with my z!0. Some of you have had other pet peeves and I was hoping that you could help me communicate these issues. The following is the kind of thing that I am looking for, not a shopping list fof one-liners with no context. Thanks.
    --------------------------------------
    The BB Bridge needs some work to restore useful functionality that seems to have been lost in the transition to BB10. I was disappointed with the initial implementation of BB Bridge in BB10. Given the easy of switching devices in the legacy BlackBerry smartphones, I really didn't expect to have to set up email on my brand new device and once again on my PlayBook.

I don't know exactly what Thor envisions when he touts a new age of "Mobile Computing" but I don't think that he is imagining that we should be saddled with disconnected devices that function in silos and store identical data that needs to be synchronized manually from time to time. More likely, he is thinking of small devices with processing power and data that plug into and/or connect with other devices. Connections will be made automatically and data will be transferred in the background; only when required: efficiently, transparently and without the user needing to worry about security. This sounds like the "old" bridge to me and I hope it is restored in BB10.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-29-13 08:49 AM
    Produce a higher capacity battery

Posted via CB10
    04-29-13 08:58 AM
    I think they need to handle pushing out updates better. I understand the different carriers have their own procedures but to for so many to have to used a "leaked" version to get the latest updates is not acceptable (specifically Verizon customers). Not sure if they can't do anything about it though.

I've heard they are looking inot Emoji support but I think it would be a minor addition that will go a long way.

I also agree with the contacts fix. I have way too many duplicate contacts in my phone. It doesn't bother me that much, I deal with it but it should be fixed.
    04-29-13 09:06 AM
    Produce a higher capacity battery

Posted via CB10
    Please elaborate just a bit. Mileage seems to vary on the topic of juice and some people report no problems. What is you usage pattern and how exactly does the current battery limit your ability to fully enjoy using your Z10.? What steps are you being forced to take in order to work around the problem? I am thinking of things like having to darken your screen to the point of not being able to see what's on it, carrying a spare battery - stuff like that.
    04-29-13 09:06 AM
    Restore legacy functionality of BBDM, i.e. ability to do one way/ two way sunch beteeen Outlook and Device..

Ability to delete e-mails on device only/device AND server...

(thought of these after the fact)
    husnain1 likes this.
    04-29-13 09:08 AM
    I think they need to handle pushing out updates better..
    Thanks for the reminder. The need to get carrier approval for what should be "emergency" fixes is a real killer for developers. There are one or two glaring (but intermittent) faults with the BB Worlk installation process that break our apps. BBRY says they have found the problems and fixed them. Trouble is, after weeks of waiting, I am not aware that the carriers have pushed any updates out to users.
    04-29-13 09:13 AM
    The good: slick messaging and UI

The bad: contacts app, needs some work.

Posted via CB10
    04-29-13 09:15 AM
    - Bridge: While I am actually ok with the current format of bridge, it is very clear that most are not. Bringing back the functionality of the legacy bridge app would satisfy a lit of end users. If BlackBerry wants proof, just check BBWorld.

- Battery: Whatever optimizations are possible, should be explored. There seems to be some pretty big inconsistencies between devices.

- Bug fixes: We all appreciate that this is a young operating system (to an extent), but as much as everyone wants to move forward, it's important to keep the things that we already have, running smoothly.

- Apps: Continuing the crusade for devs should be a priority for BB. Quality over quantity. Big names draw more users.

- Marketing: Make it easy and cheap... Walk down any street in the US, go to the mall, go to a college campus, just go anywhere and ask random people what their honest opinion of BlackBerry is. This should be a good indicator of the hurdles that the company still has to overcome.

My opinion: For a first gen os, I think BlackBerry hit a home run. The ui is gorgeous and the functionality of the overall device is wonderful. I personally can't seem to put mine down, which tells me everything I need to know.

Small tweaks, such as the recent one allowing pic editing inside the pictures app, as opposed to opening a new frame, and changing the text selector to move characters by tapping, tell me that BlackBerry has the right idea and is working on building a strong os.

Using upgraded hardware is a huge factor in how the new devices are perceived and how they function. My recommendation to BlackBerry is this, do not hold back on hardware based on cost. You are better off taking a hit on profit now, then risking losing it all together. If you can reposition yourself as a powerhouse device maker, with security, mobility and functionality, users will come back and your long term profitability will be much greater.

Please don't become complacent based on your larger international user base. Offer a range of devices so alk markets can be tapped.
    BuzzStarField, cman5 and husnain1 like this.
    04-29-13 09:18 AM
    The Z10 is an amazing device. It has an awesome camera (that doesn't always take high quality pictures - but my purchase was not for a camera, rather a phone), my email comes to me without incident, and it keeps me organized (at least, it tries).

The calendar - I do love the updates, the new look is definitely more appealing and I like how the dates get bigger the busier I am; however, not having the option to set alarms through the calendar is driving me crazy! As a full time student and full time employee who also has other obligations, missing multiple alarms is most definitely a feature I miss the most coming from BBOS7.

* OREO Z10 *
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    04-29-13 09:32 AM
    Make the phone faster and when you press on an app make the app apear straight away don't make it go left then open

Posted via CB10
    The counter-argument is that the animations make it clear that the app opens on the active frame screen. This makes navigation a bit clearer than if the app suddenly popped up on the screen. Another argument is that these animations are critical to the BB10 look & feel and the experience woulkd suffer without them. Perhaps the animations should be configurable - if you like 'em, keep 'em otherwise shut 'em off.
    04-29-13 09:33 AM
    Make the phone faster and when you press on an app make the app apear straight away don't make it go left then open
    It is probably loading and preparing the app for launch while the animation is running. Getting rid of the animation would probably not significantly speed up launch.
    04-29-13 09:40 AM
    The good: slick messaging and UI

The bad: contacts app, needs some work.

Posted via CB10
    Is this the "duplicates" problem? Does this arise after importing contacts from GMail or other providers? Since I don't have this problem, I would much appreciate a short summary of specific symptoms.

thanks
    04-29-13 09:41 AM
    Is this the "duplicates" problem? Does this arise after importing contacts from GMail or other providers? Since I don't have this problem, I would much appreciate a short summary of specific symptoms.

thanks
    I'm not exactly sure the reason for my duplicates. I've read about the GMail issue but I haven't synced GMail to my phone. Accounts I have linked are Facebook and Twitter. Most of the duplicates are from my initial load of all my old contacts and along with duplicates, it seems to duplicate last names too on some contacts with no rhyme or reason. For example, "John Smith" is listed as "John Smith Smith" in my phone. I'm not sure if that's EVERYONE'S issue but overall, there seems to be a good amount of issues with the contacts app.
    04-29-13 10:26 AM
    As a user, I'm pretty content with my Z10. Sure, there could be some more apps, tweaks and improvements, but I wouldn't dream of going back to the android device I was using before. Battery life is excellent (>24hrs), no excessive data usage, no spontaneous reboots or double contacts here. For now, focus on fixing bugs.

As a developer, I do have some frustrations:

1. fragmentation of the platform is already problematic:
      1. OS version differences between Z10, Q10, Dev Alpha's, LE's
      2. OS version differences between carriers
      3. performance and functionality differences between the Z10, Q10 models (STL100-1 etc)
      4. form factor & resolution differences (obviously)
      5. dependencies between NDK, SDK, Qt, OS versions
      6. gap between BB10.0 and BB10.1 and limited versioning makes single-source problematic for anything but trivial apps
      7. vast gap between BB10 and PlayBook - virtually impossible to build apps from a single source for BB10 and PB
      8. BB10 stuck on Qt 4, while the rest of the world is already using Qt 5

2. carrier approval requirement for OS releases is delaying fixes, causing further fragmentation and encouraging users to run leaks, making app support difficult
    3. Many API's exist (e.g. mountable file systems, background services) but are reserved for "partners". We need a level playing field.
    4. Cascades is incomplete
      1. ​no true custom controls, only composition
      2. ​no access to scene graph
      3. no subclassing & overriding existing controls
      4. no 3D framework
      5. no vector library or painter
      6. no access to source code to fix bugs or figure out mechanics when documentation is lacking
      7. no debug symbols
      8. no clean builds - even "Hello World" projects emit dozens of build/runtime warnings & errors

5. AIR is being left behind:
      1. no up-to-date AIR runtimes (should be weeks after Adobe release, not years)
      2. no Stage3D
      3. no support for Scout
      4. no worker threads
      5. no proper support for FlashBuilder 4.7+, only monkey patching

6. PlayBook is being left behind:
      1. no Cascades
      2. no Invocation Framework
      3. no Qt preinstalled, little Qt support
      4. no PIM API's
      5. older, less performant WebGL

7. ​WebWorks...
      1. too dependent on Ripple & Chrome. I refuse to use a browser as my IDE.
      2. Ripple is too buggy for serious production use
      3. library architecture prevents WebWorks/bbui app from running without Ripple, even if app has no need for Ripple's features
      4. dependency on ancient JDK is unacceptable

Each development platform seems to have major drawbacks. We have multiple projects on-hold waiting for the platforms to mature.

I appreciate the vast amount of work that BB has done, but when compared to other platforms there is still a vast amount of work to be done.
    04-29-13 10:29 AM

Posted via CB10
    That animation lets you know where the app is running on the multitasking screen. It also lets you know if the the app you just opened was already running.
    04-29-13 10:35 AM
    It is probably loading and preparing the app for launch while the animation is running. Getting rid of the animation would probably not significantly speed up launch.
    They could do like apple and give you a screen shot of the app giving the appearance of opened fast.
    04-29-13 10:42 AM
83 123 ...