Wife's z10 got dropped in a puddle (sat there for 30 minutes) and the sim card was done. Two corporate VZW stores told me even if the phone read a new card (which it wouldn't) their "system" would not let them activate it due to it being as old as it was. When I got home I took the card they'd programmed for her number and put it in MY old z10.
    Activated no problem. I also found it activated my old Z30 on her number (which she did not want :0 )
    So don't believe the bull****. Get them to program the card and put it in yourself.
    12-22-18 01:28 PM
    Wife's z10 got dropped in a puddle (sat there for 30 minutes) and the sim card was done. Two corporate VZW stores told me even if the phone read a new card (which it wouldn't) their "system" would not let them activate it due to it being as old as it was. When I got home I took the card they'd programmed for her number and put it in MY old z10.
    Activated no problem. I also found it activated my old Z30 on her number (which she did not want :0 )
    So don't believe the bull****. Get them to program the card and put it in yourself.
    Soon, it won’t matter as they refarm the old network. You’ll have to buy newer phones just to make calls.
    12-22-18 02:16 PM
    I am willing to bet 4g lte equipped phones will work just fine for a couple more years. I was more incensed at the utter bs that VZW front-line employees are slinging.
    12-22-18 03:27 PM
    I am willing to bet 4g lte equipped phones will work just fine for a couple more years. I was more incensed at the utter bs that VZW front-line employees are slinging.
    If the device you’re using is BB10, that won’t necessarily be the case as you won’t necessarily replace your CDMA frequencies with LTE frequencies that your LTE can access. I’ve had similar problems as AT&T refarms it’s GSM network and older devices. I expect it could be even worse regarding VZW because it’s VZW and reasonable excuse to force upgrade.

If you’re able to continue, great!!! I just know my past experience on VZW devices with past network changeovers rendered new problems where none existed.
    12-22-18 03:34 PM
    This is correct mundo. While purely CDMA devices may be in trouble, any device running 4G LTE (so all BB10 phones) will still work technologically with VZW for some time to come based on their current roadmap.

Now, Chuck is right and they could change that roadmap...but currently we have no reason to be concerned.
    01-10-19 02:10 PM
    Test post.
    01-10-19 02:32 PM
    This is correct mundo. While purely CDMA devices may be in trouble, any device running 4G LTE (so all BB10 phones) will still work technologically with VZW for some time to come based on their current roadmap.

Now, Chuck is right and they could change that roadmap...but currently we have no reason to be concerned.
    Good to know, I did not know BB10 has Verizon VoLTE support.
    01-16-19 12:54 AM
    Good to know, I did not know BB10 has Verizon VoLTE support.
    I should clarify here eshrop that my comments applied specifically to LTE frequencies, which are not always the same as VoLTE. With that said most of not all BB10 phones have the ability to support VoLTE, but in any event since the shutdown applies only to CDMA-based devices (those that cannot support LTE in any form) BB10 devices should keep working for a while.
    01-16-19 11:32 AM
    I should clarify here eshrop that my comments applied specifically to LTE frequencies, which are not always the same as VoLTE. With that said most of not all BB10 phones have the ability to support VoLTE, but in any event since the shutdown applies only to CDMA-based devices (those that cannot support LTE in any form) BB10 devices should keep working for a while.
    How do you enable HD voice on a Verizon BB10 phone? Verizon LTE should work for data, but after the CDMA network is turned off this year my understanding is that you need Verizon VoLTE support which is part of their adanced calling features to make voice calls. I have not see this menu option on the Verizon BB10 phones I have used.
    01-17-19 05:23 PM
    How do you enable HD voice on a Verizon BB10 phone? Verizon LTE should work for data, but after the CDMA network is turned off this year my understanding is that you need Verizon VoLTE support which is part of their adanced calling features to make voice calls. I have not see this menu option on the Verizon BB10 phones I have used.
    I think it's important to distinguish here between VoLTE, which is a technology that has been used by many phones including BB10 devices for years automatically, and Verizon's "HD Voice" or "Advanced Calling" feature, which is their spin on utilizing VoLTE for theoretically enhanced call quality.

VoLTE should continue to work as it always has, assuming that the phone was compatible in the first place. HD Voice would not be compatible, but it is also not necessary to make calls on the network after CDMA shuts down.

VoLTE, assuming your phone is already active on the Verizon network, should kick over automatically when CDMA bites the dust. HD Voice would not be available for non-iOS and Android devices just like before.
    01-17-19 05:42 PM
    I think it's important to distinguish here between VoLTE, which is a technology that has been used by many phones including BB10 devices for years automatically, and Verizon's "HD Voice" or "Advanced Calling" feature, which is their spin on utilizing VoLTE for theoretically enhanced call quality.

VoLTE should continue to work as it always has, assuming that the phone was compatible in the first place. HD Voice would not be compatible, but it is also not necessary to make calls on the network after CDMA shuts down.

VoLTE, assuming your phone is already active on the Verizon network, should kick over automatically when CDMA bites the dust. HD Voice would not be available for non-iOS and Android devices just like before.
    After the way that VZW has treated Key2 compared to LE and then how Key2 and LE are treated compared to primary OEM partners, do you think VZW really cares about the old phones? This isn’t about BB10, simply VZW can use shutting down CDMA to “encourage” new device sales to ALL holdouts of every older phone.....
    ppeters914 likes this.
    01-17-19 07:00 PM