I use vpnexpress on my iphone5. The same (vpnexpress) is not available for the z10. Is there an alternative?
    05-05-13 12:47 AM
    Go to Settings \ Network, there is a VPN option there. It probably just needs to be configured, etc.

Also, welcome to the World of CrackBerry...

PS: moving this thread
    05-05-13 08:05 AM
    There are quite a few vpn options for z10 check www.witopia.com, it's an easy setup. Pptp,lttp wont work.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-13 08:10 AM
    Hi guys. Thanks for the replies and I really appreciate the help. But I am a true novice as far as tinkering with the inner sanctums of things go (only machines hehehe). Could someone provide a step by step guide to set up VPN? it's been posted before I get lost the moment it gets to "pptp/lptp...etc".
    05-05-13 08:31 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=770558

Check out this thread it is pretty self explanatory. Hope this helps.

Posted via CB10
    braty likes this.
    05-05-13 09:29 AM
    Theres nothing free??

Posted via CB10
    05-11-13 02:42 AM
    There are quite a few vpn options for z10 check www.witopia.com, it's an easy setup. Pptp,lttp wont work.

Posted via CB10
    Well, that explains why I couldn't get my VPN to work. Is there any plans to have PPTP/L2TP work in the future or BlackBerry has never supported PPTP/L2TP?

Any chance SSTP is supported though?
    05-11-13 03:00 AM
    If you knew the details about encryption and VPN you wouldn't even bother with L2TP or PPTP. They are so weak and transparent they are a joke. Microsoft, being both lazy and in league with various agencies, popularised these useless standards. A basic packet sniffer can exploit these standards, you don't even need to replicate the data for brute force crunching.

The IPSEC standard IKEv2 is much more secure and if 256-bit certificate keys are used then most pro hackers will be slowed down. They need to replicate the data and it will take some time for them to piece together your communications. Also man-in-the-middle itself is much harder to achieve under this protocol.

OpenVPN at greater than 256-bit will give you genuine privacy from ALL traffic thieves and intercepts. Sorry you had to learn this way that your iPhone "solution" is a placebo fraud.

Posted via CB10
    05-12-13 10:44 AM
    If you knew the details about encryption and VPN you wouldn't even bother with L2TP or PPTP. They are so weak and transparent they are a joke. Microsoft, being both lazy and in league with various agencies, popularised these useless standards. A basic packet sniffer can exploit these standards, you don't even need to replicate the data for brute force crunching.

The IPSEC standard IKEv2 is much more secure and if 256-bit certificate keys are used then most pro hackers will be slowed down. They need to replicate the data and it will take some time for them to piece together your communications. Also man-in-the-middle itself is much harder to achieve under this protocol.

OpenVPN at greater than 256-bit will give you genuine privacy from ALL traffic thieves and intercepts. Sorry you had to learn this way that your iPhone "solution" is a placebo fraud.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, but this is just to get me recognized as a US ip so I can get us content for Netflix, Pandora, etc.

Posted via CB10
    05-12-13 11:23 AM
    Nothing is free dude...n problem with free vpns are the limited bandwidth you get. To stream Netflix and Pandora you will need a better vpn service. Hence paid. And yes the security on Pptp and lttp are a joke.

Posted via CB10
    Mohammed Salam likes this.
    05-12-13 10:00 PM
    IPSEC/IKEv2 is not that hard to set up on your own; I have it running here on my infrastructure. Works great.

Not only is LT2P and PPTP quite insecure they're slow on top of it and do not handle moving Ip addresses (which phones have a habit of doing) without being torn down and reset. IKEv2 supports (and so does the Zed) MOBIKE which permits essentially-transparent renegotiation when this occurs so your link stays up as you move.

OpenVPN (which the Zed does not support) is quite secure but slow. Its advantage is that it can run in user space where IPSEC typically requires kernel support. If you can choose between IPSEC and OpenVPN, IPSEC is the better option, especially with IKEv2 for key exchange. (IKEv1 is reasonably secure with machine certificates but has a known potential attack vector when used with "shared secrets" -- in other words, passwords.)
    05-12-13 10:08 PM
    Nothing is free dude...n problem with free vpns are the limited bandwidth you get. To stream Netflix and Pandora you will need a better vpn service. Hence paid. And yes the security on Pptp and lttp are a joke.

Posted via CB10
    I know nothing is free, that's why I pay $60 a year. So far it's been great on the home device, I get netflix HD, just wanting to see if I can configure it on the Z10.
    05-12-13 10:11 PM
    Nadaa.... the ones you used are probably Pptp and lttp and they for sure don't work on z10.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-13 01:51 PM