So after doing some research and countless phone calls regarding my dropped signal, draining battery, and the H symbol instead of LTE it all boiled down to one problem.

Virgin blocks LTE from prepaid accounts.
    So every time my Z10 would switch to LTE it would be blocked thus dropping signal and repeating this over and over killing my battery.

They obviously don't tell you this. So with that in mind I switched my radio setting to H only and that solved all my problems.

Question remaining though.... why am I paying for something and only receiving half of what I'm paying for?!

Does this sound fair?

Posted via CB10
    02-21-13 03:06 PM
    Nope. Virgin are being douches. I had to scream at them for about 10 hours because they misinformed me about a change I wanted and couldn't give me the promised discount. They once used to be a great company. Now, I'm just waiting for other companies to get good plans that compare to my OLD PLAN that they do not offer anymore.

300 minutes
    unlimited incoming
    unlimited after 6pm
    top 10 across Canada
    unlimited international texting
    6GB of data
    call display and voicemail
    I pay 56$ taxes included
    02-21-13 03:13 PM
    Would I ever recommend Virgin Mobile as they are now? NO.
    02-21-13 03:15 PM
    They're part of Bell, so why would they ever be a great company??

I got a plan from Koodo during boxing week that looks like this:

unlimited calling across Canada
    2GB of data
    call display and voicemail/ and all the rest of the call services
    I pay 56$ plus tax

Fido and Virgin both had the identical deal the same week. Koodo/ Virgin and Bell are all on the same network -- and I like their coverage.

Koodo has LTE on my Z10, but my plan is not prepaid. It is month to month with no contract and no exit or signup fees.
    02-21-13 03:26 PM
    Not to defend Virgin Mobile, but I had a similar problem until I swapped out the SIM card. Apparently I wasn't given an LTE SIM card. Check your SIM card and it should have LTE labeled on it.
    02-21-13 03:29 PM
    Koodo is on the bell network? That's news to me. I thought they were on the telus network... telus and bell are sharing too?

Posted via CB10
    02-21-13 03:41 PM
    Yes my sim is labeled LTE and also switched to new one. I called and talked to customer service when the dude told me that prepaid customers don't get LTE.

I pay one hundred bucks a month and bought my z10 full price.

I should not have a lesser experience than " Tom" just because my pay cycle is reversed.

Infuriates me.

Thanks for all your input.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-13 03:42 PM
    Koodo is on the bell network? That's news to me. I thought they were on the telus network... telus and bell are sharing too?

Posted via CB10
    Don't Bell & Telus share the LTE/HSPA network? Telus does western Canada and Bell does eastern Canada...
    02-21-13 03:44 PM
    Nope. Virgin are being douches. I had to scream at them for about 10 hours because they misinformed me about a change I wanted and couldn't give me the promised discount. They once used to be a great company. Now, I'm just waiting for other companies to get good plans that compare to my OLD PLAN that they do not offer anymore.

300 minutes
    unlimited incoming
    unlimited after 6pm
    top 10 across Canada
    6GB of data
    call display and voicemail
    I pay 56$ taxes included

Wow are you kidding me? You got all that for $56 and have the nuts to complain about the company?!

Nobody is going to match that plan. I'm a 12 year Telus user and I pay $83 for FAR less than that.

Don't let that plan go!

-Chris-
    02-21-13 03:44 PM
    Sorry but what do you mean by prepaid?

Posted via CB10
    02-21-13 03:49 PM
    Wow are you kidding me? You got all that for $56 and have the nuts to complain about the company?!

Nobody is going to match that plan. I'm a 12 year Telus user and I pay $83 for FAR less than that.

Don't let that plan go!

-Chris-
    I think you should try to renegotiate your deal.
    I get the following:
    - Unlimited incoming/outgoing/roaming across Canada (no restrictions)
    - Unlimited international MMS/Texting
    - 6GB Data
    - Caller ID, Visual Voicemail and 2500 forwarding minutes
    for $60 + taxes. This is with Fido.
    02-21-13 04:29 PM
    Telus and Bell do share network access across the country, that's why they're often referred to as Bellus. Sure they have their own towers, but where one is weak, the other grants access. (not a bad system if the customer is served)

The only true non big 3 player out there is Wind.(I'm speaking nationally) They are not sharing any lines and have their own network. They do however rent space from the incumbents towers.

I'm not surprised by a prepaid account not being on the top tier line access. Not uncommon for prepaids to be shuntted to the lower end (2G networks)
    Rogers used to be BRUTAL for not permitting their 'pay as you go' on all towers, thus limiting the access(signal strength). I'm sure they've stopped this practice (least I hope)
    02-21-13 05:02 PM
    Switch to another provider that does. Seriously, just dump them. If enough people do it, they'll get the message soon enough.
    02-21-13 05:42 PM
    I think you should try to renegotiate your deal.
    I get the following:
    - Unlimited incoming/outgoing/roaming across Canada (no restrictions)
    - Unlimited international MMS/Texting
    - 6GB Data
    - Caller ID, Visual Voicemail and 2500 forwarding minutes
    for $60 + taxes. This is with Fido.
    What carrier are you using? I have everything you have (except for the 6Gb of data...I only have 3Gb) and I pay $80/month.
    I've not heard of this re-negotiating your deal you speak of. Since when do carriers allow you to re-negotiate your deal when you're locked into a contract?
    What carrier gives you 6Gb of data in their plan...especially at that price? I've checked Virgin (which I'm on now), Telus, Bell, and Rogers and none of them even offer 6Gb of data in any of their plans. The highest data in any advertised plan is 5Gb with $10/Gb thereafter. These plans with 5Gb included, are in the $100 category.
    02-21-13 06:05 PM
    What carrier are you using? I have everything you have (except for the 6Gb of data...I only have 3Gb) and I pay $80/month.
    I've not heard of this re-negotiating your deal you speak of. Since when do carriers allow you to re-negotiate your deal when you're locked into a contract?
    What carrier gives you 6Gb of data in their plan...especially at that price? I've checked Virgin (which I'm on now), Telus, Bell, and Rogers and none of them even offer 6Gb of data in any of their plans. The highest data in any advertised plan is 5Gb with $10/Gb thereafter. These plans with 5Gb included, are in the $100 category.
    This is with Fido. Many carriers have "unadvertised" data plans - this is one of Fido's. As for renegotiating contracts, these days the cancellation charges on contracts are the handset subsidy (and in Fido/Roger's case an additional $12.50) - so it's pretty easy to break your contract and leave.
    02-21-13 06:58 PM
    I have the same problem, though in my case it's Bell and they are denying me LTE service because I am on a contract still with an older data plan that does not have a 6GB cap. Yes...they are blocking me from using LTE while I am on a contract with them...WTF?
    02-21-13 07:19 PM