So? That has no bearing on you performing an unauthorized sideload to a platform not yet supported. Whether you pay or not isn't the principal. The problem lies where you are performing a sideload that the developr has not authorized of an application written for another platform. I'm sure this is not the case for Netflix but, its likely some developers do not appreciate unauthorized use of their applications. It isn't warranted even if the reason behind that is simply because they don't like the bb10 platform.
    Sue me, or report me. You think Netflix isn't aware of it by now? And if they don't take steps to shut it down, it will become a de facto easement. They're not losing a thing, in fact they're probably keeping a handful of customers who might have cancelled otherwise. If it weren't for the new Arrested Development, I'd have cancelled out of principle. I really don't use it that much, and no skin off their nose that I'm using it on a device in a way they'll never have to lift a finger to support.

Posted from my Z10
    05-11-13 09:26 AM
    You're cutting BlackBerry too much slack. Every time I use the Remember, Phone, texting, email, or contact apps, I am reminded of how many things on this phone were not ready for prime time.

The third party apps have been a source of pain on BlackBerry for a long time. Now we're finally getting a few that have the same feature set as the apps on other platforms, so it is looking up.

The "Brand new OS" excuse doesn't carry a lot of weight when they've taken years to bring it to market.

Posted via CB10
    It's actually taken them less time than it took the other 2 major OS platforms to be developed. And even if it took 10 years, there will always be bugs and issues that need to be worked out especially for the early adopters. That's the reality of the industry so I'm not cutting them slack rather just being a realist.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-13 09:40 AM
    Maybe it's time for BlackBerry to limit sideloading to registered developers, as it was meant to be in the first place.

Posted via CB10
    I understand where you are coming from, but I think the ability to side load apps that are deemed important to many customers, but not yet available in BB World is actually keeping a lot of BB customers from moving to other platforms.
    05-11-13 10:45 AM
    There's a Pandora app called apollo

And those others are right a round the corner.

But the salesman in all honesty sounded like he was trying to be helpful.

Posted via CB10
    TenceRiker likes this.
    05-11-13 10:56 AM
    Sue me, or report me. You think Netflix isn't aware of it by now? And if they don't take steps to shut it down, it will become a de facto easement. They're not losing a thing, in fact they're probably keeping a handful of customers who might have cancelled otherwise. If it weren't for the new Arrested Development, I'd have cancelled out of principle. I really don't use it that much, and no skin off their nose that I'm using it on a device in a way they'll never have to lift a finger to support.

Posted from my Z10
    I guess your not really getting my point being that it's completely hypothetical. Either that our I'm properly communicating it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    05-11-13 10:58 AM
    If BlackBerry want to convert the so call sheeple mindset, which there are millions upon millions out there, it has to offer the essential apps that these sheeple mindset people are looking for. No matter how good or how superior Z10 or Q10 can be, you can't get these sheeple mindset people to convert without luring them with the main apps. That's a first and most significant barrier to change that sheeple mindset whether you like it or not.
    Sad but true unfortunately.

CB10- BlackBerry Z10
    05-11-13 11:25 AM
    Its very simple if u ask me. The idea of bb10 was to captivate the masses and restore the blackberry stamp. No apps will definitely keep those that dont know away.

From my Z10 A.K.A knight Rider.
    05-11-13 11:30 AM
    Here's the deal: when you look at iOS or Android you are looking at platforms that now have hundreds of millions of users. Many developers decided to build for Windows Phone because they figured that between Microsoft and Nokia that surely they could gain some traction in the market.

As for BB10, there's now maybe 5 million users, tops, and that's still a marginal platform. I think many developers are looking very closely at BB10 sales; if it's doing as well as early results seem to indicate then many will be jumping off the fence soon.

Posted via CB10
    The thing with Windows Phone is that interest from a development standpoint seems to have cooled off a bit for the Platform as the rate of growth appears to be slowing. The most recent estimate has Windows Phone currently at around 145000 apps.

I would bet we hear BlackBerry 10 has the same or greater number of apps next week at BlackBerry Live. But you're right that allot of Developers are taking a wait and see approach towards the Platform. But if BlackBerry can secure the number 3 position in the market, then you will see BlackBerry world explode with apps due to the ease of developing for the platform as well as the ease of porting apps from Android and iOS over to the platform.
    05-11-13 11:34 AM
    Have no idea what the 145,000 widows apps are. But if you remove all the RSS Feeds, Web Shortcuts, free ebooks that have been converted to apps and ported android apps that don't work there isn't much left.

I know there is a bunch of junk in the other platforms, it just seems like BlackBerry World has more junk and less usable content.

Posted via CB10
    niss63 likes this.
    05-11-13 12:14 PM
    Its very simple if u ask me. The idea of bb10 was to captivate the masses and restore the blackberry stamp. No apps will definitely keep those that dont know away.

Nice $400 headphones
    05-11-13 12:21 PM
    My Z10 playlist sounds good in them..

05-11-13 12:46 PM
    And I mean the part where people love the phone but bring it back because of some nonessential apps.

Posted via CB10
    In this day and age when one purchases a "smart phone" they expect what they have been using on smart phones to be there....
    ...Much in the same way a person who buys a new stove expects it's going to have the ability to roast something.
    ...Side loading Apps that were developed for another platform is akin to begging for scraps off a table better than yours.

Frankly, RIM / BBRY is going to have to spend some serious cash to get the good apps.....
    ...They put themselves in this mess & they can get themselves out of it.
    ....It's foolish to expect "it's the developers fault" - BBRY needs to get off it's high horse and pay to get some apps developed.
    mikewpg1ca likes this.
    05-11-13 01:16 PM
    In this day and age when one purchases a "smart phone" they expect what they have been using on smart phones to be there....
    ...Much in the same way a person who buys a new stove expects it's going to have the ability to roast something.
    ...Side loading Apps that were developed for another platform is akin to begging for scraps off a table better than yours.

Frankly, RIM / BBRY is going to have to spend some serious cash to get the good apps.....
    ...They put themselves in this mess & they can get themselves out of it.
    ....It's foolish to expect "it's the developers fault" - BBRY needs to get off it's high horse and pay to get some apps developed.
    It's not that simple...If it was WP would have as big of an app store as Apple and Android given the money Microsoft can throw around.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-13 01:19 PM
    Skype is coming soon. Don't know what Pandora is and don't use instagram but it will likely come as well. People have been spoiled so much that the thought of not having something whether they use it or not is a disaster. Can't imagine what would happen if instagram was down for a few days? Some might jump off a bridge if they can't see people's cat and food pictures.

Posted via CB10
    Pandora is an admittedly sick radio application.
    05-11-13 01:23 PM
    What are you doing to solve this problem?
    Apparently the same thing you are. Nothing...

Posted via CB10
    05-11-13 01:38 PM
    Weird, I have Skype and Instagram sideloaded. Work well, and I prefer Songza over Pandora.
    Verizon: Z10 lack of Instagram, Skype, Pandora - "it's a shame"-img_00000328.png

Sent from my Z10!
    05-11-13 01:45 PM
    But do the apps work if you sideload them? 80% of times yes but slow. Yes they look great in screen shot of the phone. But does not mean they work. But better then nothing.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-13 02:00 PM
    It's not that simple...If it was WP would have as big of an app store as Apple and Android given the money Microsoft can throw around.

Posted via CB10
    If BBRY had the same Apps that WP had no one would be ******** about an App gap.

http://www.slashgear.com/hulu-plus-c...ne-8-06280741/

12Danny123 likes this.
    05-11-13 02:46 PM
    If BBRY had the same Apps that WP had no one would be ******** about an App gap.
    Which apps are you speaking about?

Posted via CB10
    05-11-13 02:54 PM
    Side loading apps is not an option for the majority of users. Most people want to be able to log into their app store find what they want, download it and start using it right away and that's it. They don't want to mess around with hooking up their phone to their computer, using some obscure application they've never heard of, and then messing with the whole pain in the *** of finding side load apps that actually work, don't operate at a snail's pace, lock up their phone, etc. Why do all that when u can get an iphone or android and get the apps you want without any such issues?

The "Sheep" want these apps (no matter what people think of the quality and need) and they want it to be easy and further they all have friends who have iphones and androids and see how simple it can be and they expect the same if they are spending $500-700 on a phone. The sheep are the masses and they have the money that drives this industry and if BlackBerry wants to survive they have to keep and ideally win over some sheep, and not just try to appease people who think side loading is a simple solution to the app issues, because we are the minority of users I'm sure.

I really like my Z10. I have a few caveats to that, but the core of useability and UI, mail, BBM, calendar, and browser are all great. But it is still very weak in the app department, both in terms of apps I had on my old Torch, apps I'd like that are presently on iphone and android, and even having some apps with the same level of functionality as some of the old ones on my torch, like Facebook and Twitter, in my opinion.

When I got this Z10 I decided I would give BlackBerry a final shot with the hope that in a realitively short period (3-4) months I'd be able to get the apps I wanted. I knew it was new and some of these things take time, so I was prepared to wait and see
    But a good friend on mine, and previous BlackBerry user, also needed to get a new phone. I tried selling her on the Z10, but I was honest about the pros and cons, and she was like why should I wait for..... when I get a iphone right now. So she got the iphone and has all the apps she can dream of and loves it. She is not a geek in any way she just wanted something that works and it works now and does what she wants now, not maybe in six months if the developer for X company feels there is a demand.

I'm a little more patient, but if by the end of summer (with the Q10 being out by then), the BlackBerry 10 platform doesn't have several of the big apps available in BlackBerry world for download, I will figure BlackBerry is certainly on the down swing and my decision to stay with BlackBerry was iffy. The big reason I went with the Z10 was based on the reviews etc. and my Torch died (whole other issue) and I had no other choice to go with the Z10. I had planned on waiting for the Q10 because I was apprehensive to leave the physical keyboard of my Torch and to gage the app situation with the new platform. There was an adjustment period, but now that I've used a touch keyboard I'm used to it, and wouldn't hesitate to go with one again. So my phone cycle is a new one every one to two years, and I hope BlackBerry improves on the app front and that developers stop saying they're not going to develop period (Audible for ex.). But somewhat ironically if things don't improve on the app front for BlackBerry, my Z10 experience has broken my attachment to a physical keyboard and now I wouldn't blink to move to Android, probably not iphone as I can't stand apple as a matter of principle.

I hope BlackBerry starts making some serious leaps and getting where they need to be, otherwise they'll keep losing market share and it's a downward spiral. Less users, less apps; less apps, less users. I'm sure I'm not the only one, but my list of BBM contacts is getting shorter and shorter.

Posted via CB10
    m1a1mg likes this.
    05-11-13 03:21 PM

Posted via CB10
    I'm speaking of those apps that WP has that i.o.s. and Droid also have.....
    ...Contrasted with those same apps that BB lacks.
    05-11-13 03:26 PM
    The thing with Windows Phone is that interest from a development standpoint seems to have cooled off a bit for the Platform as the rate of growth appears to be slowing. The most recent estimate has Windows Phone currently at around 145000 apps.

I would bet we hear BlackBerry 10 has the same or greater number of apps next week at BlackBerry Live. But you're right that allot of Developers are taking a wait and see approach towards the Platform. But if BlackBerry can secure the number 3 position in the market, then you will see BlackBerry world explode with apps due to the ease of developing for the platform as well as the ease of porting apps from Android and iOS over to the platform.
    Right now for bb10 and wp its not about quantity its about getting official apps first then focus on quantity. what I said is true. But unfortunately to say WP is gaining tones of official apps lately . They even got an official full fledged YouTube app recently. That is why people are developing for WP than BB10. BB need to step it up a notch and pay developers to make them.

Sent using my Z10
    05-11-13 03:41 PM

Posted via CB10
    Pandora
    YouTube (official app)
    Hulu plus
    Netflix
    Camera360
    Skype (right now)
    Tumblr
    Chase mobile
    Flixster
    HDFC bank
    Amazon mobile
    LinkedIn
    Fancy
    Kik messenger
    Viper
    Possibly instagram (based on latest rumours for going to wp)
    Etc.

There are tones missing from BB world that Wp, iOS and android have

Sent using my Z10
    Last edited by 12Danny123; 05-11-13 at 04:30 PM.
    robitaille93 likes this.
    05-11-13 04:13 PM
    Flixster and linked in are out....

Posted via CB10
    05-11-13 04:21 PM
    Flixster and linked in are out....

Posted via CB10
    Oops. Fair enough. :-)
    05-11-13 04:28 PM
311 ... 10111213