My Z10 is now eligible for an upgrade. Got an email from Verizon expecting something like the T-Mobile debacle, but was pleasantly surprised!

Verizon phone upgrade email!-img_20140220_205000.png
    02-20-14 08:52 PM
    Hmm, wonder if that is in response to the T-Mobile mess?

Trying to catch all the scurrying t-mobile BlackBerry fans?
    02-20-14 08:55 PM
    Notice that it only has 60 some odd ratings but is a solid 5 stars... only phone that is!

Now I have a problem... $99 for a Z30 is very tempting, but I love my Z10! I'm not sure I'd like the larger size (I'm a holster guy) and I've heard that the screen doesn't look as good as the Z10. I don't feel like I'm lacking anything on the Z10 (if I want a radio I can get a radio! not impressed by that!) I guess better speed would be nice. I'm ok with the Z10 battery life even though I'm a heavy user... I have a charging pod in each of my two offices. and I carry a spare battery that I rarely have to swap.

So... help me? Should I switch?
    Last edited by hbelkin; 02-21-14 at 01:58 AM.
    Chase_Manley likes this.
    02-20-14 09:02 PM
    Don't do it! Lol wait for the next flagship like I'm doing. Especially if you're happy with your Z10

Posted via CB10
    02-20-14 09:06 PM
    Yes! For $99, you have to experience BlackBerry's flagship device!!

Keith H. Posted by CB10 from my Z10.
    02-20-14 09:07 PM
    I got the exact same email today. Glad to see them sending this out.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-14 09:19 PM
    I wouldn't be surprised if Verizon is now taking a jab at T-Mobile just like AT&T did. Hell, I'd do it.

Posted via BlackBerry Z10 Smartphone
    02-20-14 09:50 PM
    Oh wow what a surprise they're recommending the Z30 instead of iPhone 5s like T-Mobile!

Posted via CB10
    02-20-14 09:57 PM
    The timing is a bit suspect...

On the other hand, they also have a trade in promo that will pay "at least $100 and up to $300" for "any smartphone"... but when I used their appraisal process for my pristine Z10 it offered me $57!!
    02-20-14 10:30 PM
    You can get a better deal selling it on eBay or craigslist lol

The timing is a bit suspect...

On the other hand, they also have a trade in promo that will pay "at least $100 and up to $300" for "any smartphone"... but when I used their appraisal process for my pristine Z10 it offered me $57!!

Posted via CB10
    02-20-14 11:05 PM
    I have both, screen resolution is undetectable in difference. The real estate in screen size is beyond stellar. But the battery wins it for me. Heavy heavy user and still end the day - 6am to 12am - with at least 20% battery. Do it!
    02-20-14 11:12 PM

I talked to them about the same thing and my conclusion is that the left (customer service) hand doesn't seem to know what the right (marketing) hand is doing.

They send you to a page to get the valuation of the device but that page doesn't seem to be anything directly related to their "At least $100" trade-in offer.

I ended up talking to some other people (because they cut me off after a long call while on hold and never called me back) and I think because I was focusing more on asking questions about their "Early Edge" program and not re-upping a contracted line I didn't really get the full details on the trade-in thing.

Still not entirely sure what the deal actually is. As you noted, their trade-in value page doesn't bear any relation to the promo they emailed us about.
    02-21-14 04:48 AM
    I got some kind of POINTS (14,000 or so) for some reason but no other deal. Not sure what that's about.
    02-21-14 11:12 AM
    Typical. In any case I'd never trade in my Z10. I have almost every BlackBerry I've ever used, right from those original pagers! Only ones missing are a couple that I gave to friends.
    02-21-14 01:03 PM
    Is there a TV show for cellphone hoarders? We have someone here whom we could nominate for the BlackBerry community!

Typical. In any case I'd never trade in my Z10. I have almost every BlackBerry I've ever used, right from those original pagers! Only ones missing are a couple that I gave to friends.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-14 01:59 PM
    I got the same email too.

Z10 Black.
    02-21-14 03:00 PM
    OK, so today I spent some time in a Verizon store... First I was pleasantly surprised to find the Bold, Z10 , Q10, and Z30 all on display and actually powered up and working. That quickly faded when I asked a sales rep about them and he said they don't sell, no one wants BlackBerry. I politely told him that I was sorry that Verizon didn't provide proper BlackBerry training so he could appreciate what the phone could do. I mentioned a few real basics, like answering a social message from the hub without opening an app, and it was clear that he had no idea.

Buy I digress. This thread is about upgrading my Z10 to the Z30. This was my first hands on with the Z30. My impressions? A beautiful phone, but somehow I still think I prefer my Z10.

Here are my first impressions:

Size... looks a lot bigger, feels a lot bigger, but when I placed my Z10 on top I was surprised that it is not physically that much larger. Since screen size hasn't been an issue for, this isn't (for me) a plus. But it's also not the big negative I thought I might be because I don't like huge phones.

Screen... the screen looked a bit "soft" to me, like it was missing some sharpness or "pop" to it. Checking it against by Z10 on the same web site, the Z10 did look better. I even cranked both to full brightness to be fair (I'd say the Z10 looked better at about 80% than the Z30 at 100%). However that's not to say it looked bad! I think it looked as good or better than all the android models I saw. I'm just spoiled by the incredible screen on the Z10 I guess!

OS... I would not consider the Z30 until it's on 10.2.1 officially. Yes. I've installed leaks before, I'm just tired of that. I have 10.2.1 official on the Z10. I suspect it's coming soon.

Battery: obviously better but I only used the phone for about 20 minutes. Battery life has never been a concern for me. I keep charging pods on my desk, I have a windshield holder in my car. And I carry a spare battery that I rarely need. I use the BlackBerry holster that puts the phone to sleep. And I am a very heavy user.

I found myself trying to pry off the back of the phone. My BlackBerry devices always had remove able batteries and easy access to the sd card.... I wasn't able to figure out how to access the SD card...

Soooo, at this point I'm thinking of staying with the Z10.... open to convincing though. )
    02-24-14 03:44 PM
    Soooo, at this point I'm thinking of staying with the Z10.... open to convincing though. )

There are a significant number of people who are waiting for the next flagship device, where the specs should make a much more noticeable leap from the Z10 than the Z30 does.

Especially since if you're like me and bought the Z10 the day it was released in the US, it's still too early to get the best deal on a replacement on contract. All of these "early upgrade" deals (esp VZW) are kind of a ripoff.

For me, the larger screen might be nicer but the tradeoff in "carryability" and one-handedness etc might not be worth it. USB OTG might be useful, but personally I'd much rather have USB 3.0 - tired of how long it takes to do a backup, sync or OS upgrade. And the Z10 actually has a higher resolution screen than the Z30.
    02-24-14 05:16 PM
    Just got this text from the pricks at Tmobile
    Verizon phone upgrade email!-img_00001182.png

Posted via CB10
    02-24-14 06:36 PM
    For me, the larger screen might be nicer but the tradeoff in "carryability" and one-handedness etc might not be worth it. USB OTG might be useful, but personally I'd much rather have USB 3.0 - tired of how long it takes to do a backup, sync or OS upgrade. And the Z10 actually has a higher resolution screen than the Z30.
    I totally agree with the slow backup issue, but I'm not convinced that it isn't just poorly written code in the Link software. Of course usb 3 would be nice

On the other hand, I've totally blown some minds by casually opening the file manager and browsing files on my desktop from across the city. Similarly, without the benefit of Link, wirelessly grabbing photos that I just shot on my Z10 from my laptop just using windows explorer.

I love when I try convincing my iPhone-toting kids by showing them all this stuff and they reply with "why would I have a file manager, this isn't a computer, it's a phone!" -- BlackBerry's point exactly, just horribly marketed. My Z10 is my main computing platform. I use it for 90% of all communications, news, weather, scanning documents to pdf, banking, taking credit card payments, managing my business, shopping, tracking shipments, music, videos, and even a couple of games for relaxation. I rarely even use my desktop or laptop for web browsing and more!
    Last edited by hbelkin; 02-24-14 at 11:05 PM.
    02-24-14 08:36 PM
    Notice that it only has 60 some odd ratings but is a solid 5 stars... only phone that is!

Now I have a problem... $99 for a Z30 is very tempting, but I love my Z10! I'm not sure I'd like the larger size (I'm a holster guy) and I've heard that the screen doesn't look as good as the Z10. I don't feel like I'm lacking anything on the Z10 (if I want a radio I can get a radio! not impressed by that!) I guess better speed would be nice. I'm ok with the Z10 battery life even though I'm a heavy user... I have a charging pod in each of my two offices. and I carry a spare battery that I rarely have to swap.

So... help me? Should I switch?
    In reference to the holster issue, the OEM BlackBerry Leather Holster for the Z30 is much better than the same Z10 hoster cause of where the stiching is. The Z10 tends to cave in when the phone is out of it. For the Z30, the stiching is down the middle of the sides and is more firm. While the Z30 is larger as is the holster, it's not noticeably thicker at all.

Posted via my BlackBerry Q10 or Z30 on VZW from Philly
    02-24-14 08:43 PM
    In reference to the holster issue, the OEM BlackBerry Leather Holster for the Z30 is much better than the same Z10 hoster cause of where the stiching is. The Z10 tends to cave in when the phone is out of it. For the Z30, the stiching is down the middle of the sides and is more firm. While the Z30 is larger as is the holster, it's not noticeably thicker at all.

I've been using holsters for smartphones for years. But with something the size of the Z30 it seems like it would be not only hard to walk with something that big on my belt, seems like it might look kinda silly too.

Maybe I just need to be one of those giant Canadian lumberjacks to pull that off.
    02-25-14 12:19 AM
    Your kids are a bit behind the curve when it comes to technology compared to their old man

You should show them how many things you can do on your Z10 & how powerful the web browser is.

I totally agree with the slow backup issue, but I'm not convinced that it isn't just poorly written code in the Link software. Of course usb 3 would be nice

On the other hand, I've totally blown some minds by casually opening the file manager and browsing files on my desktop from across the city. Similarly, without the benefit of Link, wirelessly grabbing photos that I just shot on my Z10 from my laptop just using windows explorer.

I love when I try convincing my iPhone-toting kids by showing them all this stuff and they reply with "why would I have a file manager, this isn't a computer, it's a phone!" -- BlackBerry's point exactly, just horribly marketed. My Z10 is my main computing platform. I use it for 90% of all communications, news, weather, scanning documents to pdf, banking, taking credit card payments, managing my business, shopping, tracking shipments, music, videos, and even a couple of games for relaxation. I rarely even use my desktop or laptop for web browsing and more!

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 12:42 AM

My daughter recently moved from Android platform to the BB10 with the Z10. She fully appreciates the BB10 experience. We used to be an Apple family, so she is well versed with the whole IOS experience. So, after experiencing other ecosystems, she is very happy with her Z10 . She does have an Asus Memo pad tablet, that replaced her Samsung Galaxy tablet.

Zed 10 with 1925 leak
    02-25-14 10:00 AM
    If it were me, this post would have been in the past tense. I would have the phone on its way already.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 11:58 AM