Friends
    1) I got a Z10 sometime ago and updated the OS two weeks ago. I became a crackhead in early 2000 so this is hard to say. The *only* thing I like about this phone is the keyboard. Either I am dumb or the phone is dumber, help me as follows
    2) I get a call from someone but I can't take it so I want to text them. (or email them); In the last 5 blackberries I have had. I could click/rollerball/right click whatever and intuitely send an email or text to this person saying, " I will call you back"or " email me" or "running late". In the Z10, I can't find such a function. I have to search for this person in contacts or in text messages. How silly. Last week I looked at the $20 Motorola phone I got 8 years ago while travelling once. Even that phone supported this function.
    3) The plane lands on the runway. Three of us in the row whip out different phones to check messages/call cabs/etc. The Samsung and the iPhone guys go from cold boot to making calls, mutltiple calls. Me, I am waiting. Waiting. Waiting. Looking at Verizon and blackberry logos. Finally there is life. But then it has to setup the blackberry hub. More waiting. This is sill
    4) I get out and my phone is fully charged. Get into the rental car. I have gotten rid of LinkedIn FaceBook, don't use maps etc. Trying to devote my battery only to calls and emails. after a 30 minute call I see that my battery is down to 50%. This driving in the heart of Silicon Valley, with strong signal all the way. Three or four short calls after my first appt. The battery is gone before lunch time. Sucks
    5) My family can install a google search app and talk to it. Google did not make an app for the Z10. I had a great google search app 2 blackberries ago.
    6) The voice recognition on this phone is a joke. It can't recognize anything I say. My family has great fun at my expense . Also it takes over a minute to figure out that it does not understand what to do. Once you get into voice mode. it seems that the only way to get out is to turn off the phone.
    7) Very often the swiping freezes over or becomes sluggish. Sometimes within 30 minutes of a "Remove the battery" cold boot. I have no apps on the phone at this point, just what it came with. I removed the plastic protective screen cover at Verizon's suggestion
    8) Sometimes the phone get very hot. Much hotter than any other phone I have owned. Verizon store says this is normal on the Z10.
    Yikes....
    Is anyone else experiencing this? Workaround are welcome. I used to love RIM and would hate to abandon the company.
    More later. But I don't see how
    Alfredofid likes this.
    09-26-13 07:35 PM
    You became a crackhead and now you wonder why your phone doesn't work properly?

Posted via CB10
    DS1331 likes this.
    09-26-13 07:40 PM
    If someone calls you just long press on their phone number and a menu will show up allowing you to text.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 07:42 PM
    Wow, 30 minute phone call and your battery goes down to 50 percent? What OS are you on? Might want consider upgrading the OS if you haven't already.
    09-26-13 08:44 PM
    Someone's smokin' crack!

I just finished a 35-minute call and my battery dropped less than 5%.
    09-26-13 08:49 PM
    Or the phone is a dud.
    09-26-13 08:51 PM
    Have you checked if you have wifi, blue tooth, nfc, brightness level and anything else that shouldn't be on left on?

Did you purchase your device new, or used (maybe a bunk battery) .

Do you pass through "cold spots" alot?

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 10:17 PM
    Friends
    1) I got a Z10 sometime ago and updated the OS two weeks ago. I became a crackhead in early 2000 so this is hard to say. The *only* thing I like about this phone is the keyboard. Either I am dumb or the phone is dumber, help me as follows
    2) I get a call from someone but I can't take it so I want to text them. (or email them); In the last 5 blackberries I have had. I could click/rollerball/right click whatever and intuitely send an email or text to this person saying, " I will call you back"or " email me" or "running late". In the Z10, I can't find such a function. I have to search for this person in contacts or in text messages. How silly. Last week I looked at the $20 Motorola phone I got 8 years ago while travelling once. Even that phone supported this function.
    3) The plane lands on the runway. Three of us in the row whip out different phones to check messages/call cabs/etc. The Samsung and the iPhone guys go from cold boot to making calls, mutltiple calls. Me, I am waiting. Waiting. Waiting. Looking at Verizon and blackberry logos. Finally there is life. But then it has to setup the blackberry hub. More waiting. This is sill
    4) I get out and my phone is fully charged. Get into the rental car. I have gotten rid of LinkedIn FaceBook, don't use maps etc. Trying to devote my battery only to calls and emails. after a 30 minute call I see that my battery is down to 50%. This driving in the heart of Silicon Valley, with strong signal all the way. Three or four short calls after my first appt. The battery is gone before lunch time. Sucks
    5) My family can install a google search app and talk to it. Google did not make an app for the Z10. I had a great google search app 2 blackberries ago.
    6) The voice recognition on this phone is a joke. It can't recognize anything I say. My family has great fun at my expense . Also it takes over a minute to figure out that it does not understand what to do. Once you get into voice mode. it seems that the only way to get out is to turn off the phone.
    7) Very often the swiping freezes over or becomes sluggish. Sometimes within 30 minutes of a "Remove the battery" cold boot. I have no apps on the phone at this point, just what it came with. I removed the plastic protective screen cover at Verizon's suggestion
    8) Sometimes the phone get very hot. Much hotter than any other phone I have owned. Verizon store says this is normal on the Z10.
    Yikes....
    Is anyone else experiencing this? Workaround are welcome. I used to love RIM and would hate to abandon the company.
    More later. But I don't see how
    5) you can launch voice control and say "search the Internet for..." and it will launch the browser and search in your selected search engine.
    6) I've actually found the voice recognition does a pretty good job understanding what I say as long as I'm clear.

As for your battery issue, I've always got around 12 hours and I've talked for at least 30 minutes at least some of the time, and the only time it has been warm is after playing a game for a long time. Maybe 10.2 will solve some of your issues although i never had those problems even when on 10.0
    09-26-13 10:34 PM
    2) In The Hub, Long press on the contact and in the right side menu you can click on send text messages.

3) You shouldn't have to reboot your phone. Just put your phone in "Airplane Mode". If it is a really long flight. Sure.
    In general it takes much longer due to the security checking. Android is much faster because there is no security checking. Kinda like going to an airport and expecting to get on the plane without going through customs and security check.

4) If the phone is new, give it a few days to settle in. It might be downloading and indexing your emails. If you had the phone for over a week, it is unusual. With 10.2 (should be out at the end of the next month) you should be able to check Memory and CPU usage. It will able to tell you what is draining your battery.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 10:44 PM
    If you don't like your BlackBerry go back to your eight year old Motorola. Bam problem solved.
    Are you running 10.2 because that might solve a lot of your problems.

Canadian cities BBM Channel C001234A4
    09-26-13 11:23 PM
    If you don't like your BlackBerry go back to your eight year old Motorola. Bam problem solved.
    Are you running 10.2 because that might solve a lot of your problems.

Canadian cities BBM Channel C001234A4
    EPIC!
    SteveBB10 likes this.
    09-27-13 04:43 AM
    2) In The Hub, Long press on the contact and in the right side menu you can click on send text messages.

3) You shouldn't have to reboot your phone. Just put your phone in "Airplane Mode". If it is a really long flight. Sure.
    In general it takes much longer due to the security checking. Android is much faster because there is no security checking. Kinda like going to an airport and expecting to get on the plane without going through customs and security check.

4) If the phone is new, give it a few days to settle in. It might be downloading and indexing your emails. If you had the phone for over a week, it is unusual. With 10.2 (should be out at the end of the next month) you should be able to check Memory and CPU usage. It will able to tell you what is draining your battery.

Posted via CB10
    Andrew4life has nailed it on the dot. OP, you say you've just got the phone and already having issues using it. It's a new OS with no coding from OS5-OS7. So it won't act like your previous BB's,bit better. The HUB is your best friend on this phone!

Using Z10 as a dumb phone first-img_00001846.png

Posted via CB10 / Z10 SR.4181 OS.4633 / Playbook 16GB
    09-29-13 12:09 PM
    Sometimes is not the Software, it's the people-ware

Posted via BB10 10.1.0.4181 running CB10
    awindsr likes this.
    09-29-13 12:21 PM
    Can't exit voice control?

Have you tried swiping up?
    RD9700 likes this.
    09-29-13 12:41 PM
    Don't need to turn the phone off. Airplane mode should keep the battery going long. If you do need to turn it off the hub does need to check everything. It is an all in one message center. Stop pulling your battery you're just going to make it worse. Instead of ******** about the new BlackBerry why don't you come here and ask questions to help you understand the new way of doing things. Just because it says BlackBerry on it does not mean it is the same machine as your OS7 device. There are many things different. Can answer a call push the bar up to ignore and you will then be shown the contact that called you. You long press the name and select view call details and there is an option to call back or text back. Long press is your friend. Find your options.
    09-29-13 01:10 PM
    Thanks. Wifi/Bluetooh/NFC are not on. I do keep the screen bright. The device was bought new directly from the Verizon store. The drive I desribe above was from San Francisco Airport to San Jose on Highway 101. I don't think that Verizon 4G would have a cold spot on that segment. My older phones never had trouble in that area.. I have has similar rapid discharge experiences on other occasions.
    If I do have a bad battery or phone, does anyone know if Verizon will readily return/replace it. The store has almost zero knowledge of the Z10.
    10-06-13 07:09 PM
    Thanks for the tip about the long press. It is not documented readily anywhere and I kept trying to double tap;
    Airlines and the US FAA require passenger to shut off all electronic devices. I could leave it on in airplane mode but I would be violating airline rules and US law. Not sure what security checking is needed for a self-test on cold boot that should take so much longer than other phones and in fact longer than desktop computers. These are big drawbacks for true crackheads like me. Surprised that reviews in media did not highlight these issues.
    BTW the phone is a few months old already, so it is quite settled in.
    10-06-13 07:15 PM
    Thanks. Swiping u works now, did not work prior to the OS update to 10.1. However anytime I launch Voice Control, the message on screen says "Indexing your contact names" please wait. After about 30-60 second it always asks Who do you want to text? I say "No One" If finds all the Novaks in my list. I saw Go Back. Does not help. I say "Call "Jane Doe" <my daughter's name>, It looks for Chica Bag and countless other terms. This is while sitting in a quiet room in my home office. Trying the exact same command on my daughter's Apple works flawlessly for her. And for me on her phone. Depressing.
    10-06-13 07:24 PM
    You need a few more weeks to really learn all the features. If you are on 10.1, search help and watch video demos. (could be on 10.0, just can't remember?) You can also go on youtube and search "z10 how to videos" by BlackBerry. Also, 10.2 will really bring tons of improvements shortly.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 07:26 PM
    Thanks. Swiping u works now, did not work prior to the OS update to 10.1. However anytime I launch Voice Control, the message on screen says "Indexing your contact names" please wait. After about 30-60 second it always asks Who do you want to text? I say "No One" If finds all the Novaks in my list. I saw Go Back. Does not help. I say "Call "Jane Doe" <my daughter's name>, It looks for Chica Bag and countless other terms. This is while sitting in a quiet room in my home office. Trying the exact same command on my daughter's Apple works flawlessly for her. And for me on her phone. Depressing.
    I can't quite tell if you are the cause of your own problems or its actually the phone. That being said, you can either take sometime and look online or on CB to find some tutorial.

Or and I don't recommend this option all that often but if the learning curve is to much for you, downgrade to a BB7 device.

From my Z10 to YOU, BOO-YAH!
    10-06-13 07:53 PM
    Thanks for the tip about the long press. It is not documented readily anywhere and I kept trying to double tap;
    Airlines and the US FAA require passenger to shut off all electronic devices. I could leave it on in airplane mode but I would be violating airline rules and US law. Not sure what security checking is needed for a self-test on cold boot that should take so much longer than other phones and in fact longer than desktop computers. These are big drawbacks for true crackheads like me. Surprised that reviews in media did not highlight these issues.
    BTW the phone is a few months old already, so it is quite settled in.
    Haha. Violating US FAA rules eh?. Is that what they tell you guys now? Do they check everyone to make sure their phone is off? Do they arrest anyone they see with an electronic device on. Don't think so. Put it on airplane mode, lock it and put it away. That's all. Nobody will know. It will allow you to quickly start up your phone while, and this is the kicker, landing on the runway. Which, by the way, means you guys were violating those "rules" anyway. Those rules are there for a reason, I can't agree more, but a good understanding beats blind fear of the rules any day. I hope that helps you out when you are on those business trips my friend. No need to turn off your phone. Airplane mode will keep your phone from interfering with communication systems on the aircraft. That's why it is called Airplane Mode. Happy flying sir.

P.S. - Don't pull your battery. Restart is Volume Up + Lock keys together for 30sec if you have a freeze issue. Also if you have an SD card. back it up and fully format it on your computer, then stick it into your phone (you can remove and install an SD without turning off the phone) then go to Settings>Storage and Access and look at the bottom for Media Storage Details and click Format Media Card. I have seen good results with this method of setting up an SD. Not doing this the first time has been known to cause increased battery drain and heating issues. I don't know why.
    croman and f1mx like this.
    10-06-13 08:12 PM
    Is it not easier to just pull up your daughters name and call then doing the voice control? You are sitting in your home office i dont see the need for the voice control.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 10:43 PM
    Couple things.

SayIt is an alternative voice control app that I feel like works better than the built in system.

As for turning your phone off. The reason why some other phones can sometimes not take that long is that some have a suspend mode where it really only partially shuts off. This was how the BBOS phones worked. Hence the battery pulls would be longer. Your choices are, shut the phone off or use airplane mode. Unfortunately that's just the way it is. I personally just use airplane mode. Even for my laptop is just sleep it.

As for the freezing, lagging and battery drain I think it is very unusual. What version of the OS do you have? Did the issues start after the OS update or was it always ****ty? I've had certain occasions where I felt battery drain was particularly high but it wouldnt be consistent. Also, freezing, rarely happens for me. Glitches of that nature should be relatively rare.

Couple things you should check, if you havent already tried out the latest leak, you should. Your alternative is to attempt a security wipe and see what it feels like clean as a whistle. Fair warning, the wipe takes a while. Do it and leave it on a charger and just walk off. You might even need to use a backup phone if you want to keep connected. It takes mine about 15-20mins on average but I've heard some take hours.

Goodluck. Hope this helps.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 11:36 PM