We are planning a UK motorhome holiday next June covering pretty well all of England and Scotland. I have an unlocked Z10 that currently is on a Telus plan but can I replace the existing sim with a UK one and use it for a small number of UK calls inexpensively? I would also like to be able to send and receive texts to Canada while traveling. It also would be used for mapping and gps, hence the need for data. Is this all doable at a reasonable cost? It would be nice to be able to call back to Canada but not essential..
    The other thing I have found is a mobile wifi wireless internet devices which you can rent at London airports for $130. per month. It gives you 150mb per day if needed. Or would a UK sim provide the same service at cheaper cost?

Although I was born in Britain this would be my first trip back in over 50 years so it will be all new to me. Pumped...
    09-30-14 09:16 PM
    I don't know cost-wise, but technologically it would be doable. Since your Z10 is already unlocked, all you have to do is put a local SIM card in it, and you will get up to 3G speeds in most of UK.

Instead of the mobile hotspot device, why can't you just get a decent data plan and hotspot off your phone? Maybe a UK local could help out here...
    09-30-14 09:24 PM
    Get something with maps on board for gps like Mireo Don't Panic or Freeman (I think it's called that) and that way u don't need a data signal and gps signal. Trust me you don't want to use a data signal for your satnav if your doing the tourist trail in Scotland as our coverage sucks. I personally paid for Mireo and it's done me proud in Scotland, England, Wales and Italy. Make sure you have a car charger as it does kill the battery. I found that my z10 got quite hot sometimes when charging and using as sat nav so bought a stand that clips into my air vent so the vent cools the phone on my 6hr journeys.
    As for cheap sits, they can all be picked up at local shops or supermarkets.
    Try www.giffgaff.com (runs on O2 network ) I believe �18 gets you unlimited data and UK calls. I'm sure someone would send you a sim from here so you have it to hand when you land. I would but tbh I'm unreliable
    Hope you have a great time and if I'm honest with you worry little about the phone and contacting people and enjoy the holiday more. Nearly all motorway stops have free wifi so u can blast an email, WhatsApp or Skype there but leave Canada behind and get immersed with your family in the holiday.

From Z10 to Z30 and loving it
    raino and FF22 like this.
    09-30-14 10:22 PM
    Navfree is the other sat nav app. I typed freenav and it auto corrected to freeman

From Z10 to Z30 and loving it
    09-30-14 10:26 PM
    A few suggestions here for a fellow visitor

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...you-go-960127/

Hope you have a good time
    10-01-14 07:28 AM
    I'm a Z10 (unlocked) Telus customer and former Brit who visits the UK at least twice a year. I have a UK T-Mobile sim card and it works flawlessly. For �5.00 per month I get unlimited calling, BBM and text to North America. Enjoy.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-14 08:19 AM
    Thanks very much for the feedback, can I get the UK T-Mobile card at Gatwick or Heathrow airports or do I need to find a T-Mobile store/kiosk?
    Or is there an advantage to pre-ordering, maybe having it mailed here to Canada?
    10-01-14 08:23 PM
    Thanks very much for the feedback, can I get the UK T-Mobile card at Gatwick or Heathrow airports or do I need to find a T-Mobile store/kiosk?
    Or is there an advantage to pre-ordering, maybe having it mailed here to Canada?
    There are various online stores where you can order UK sim cards. I can't remember offhand if there are mobile shops landside at the airports, but there are thousands of them in high streets. So it depends how urgently you want one after you land.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-14 04:16 AM