I have a bit of a concern using the PlayBook charger in the Z10. I feel like it would damage the phone in the long run. The battery

Posted via CB10
    06-13-14 10:32 AM
    Do you mean the standard ac/dc adaptor with micro-usb plug? Works perfectly fine with my z10

Greetings, Phil
    06-13-14 10:36 AM
    I hope not. I've using my playbook charger for everything haha

Beproud - BlackBerry 10
    06-13-14 10:36 AM
    This will do no harm to your phone no matter what. Because the playbook charger, even though can reach 2a, will never reach 2a when using with z10. It will run at 1-1.2a, so it not only do nothing to the phone but also help charging a little faster. Trust me I've been using my 2a samsung charger for my htc hd2 and q5, no popcorn battery whatsoever
    06-13-14 10:54 AM
    BB officially sells the Playbook standard micro-usb charger as a premium charger for their phones. So have no fear - it not only works, it works well and is officially sanctioned by BB.
    togardergrosse and Q10Bold like this.
    06-13-14 11:23 AM
    I've been using it for over a year now and battery and phone is still great. Both the z and the q are charged with it and function just fine.

It charges a lot faster in my experience.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-14 11:59 AM
    Ur z10 may blast someday

Posted via CB10
    06-13-14 12:02 PM
    Please need productive answers. Would it harm my battery in the long run

Posted via CB10
    06-13-14 12:35 PM
    Here is a copy of my post regarding this subject from a year ago:

"Okay, here is a very good answer because I wondered the same thing many years ago and did a ton of research. Bear in mind I have a Z10 but this lesson is for all devices.

Lithium ion or lithium polymer chemistry batteries last the longest when they are charged at 1C or less. "C" is the total capacity of the battery. For the Z10 battery, that number is 1800 mah or 1.8 amps. So, technically, the max amperage that should be pushed into the Z10 battery is 1.8 amps. However, there's a catch...

The battery and the phone have internal circuitry designed to regulate charging to extend the life of the battery and the runtime. Of course since lithium batteries can catch fire or explode really easily if improperly charged, this circuitry is also a safeguard which will not allow it to take in too much current.

Current = amps...btw.

The phone and battery will only pull as much current as its circuitry will allow. So, you could hook up a 100 amp charger to the phone and it would still only take in as much as it can. Generally speaking, most manufacturers limit the maximum draw to 0.8C. You'll also notice that through the charge, the draw will vary. At the beginning, the battery will pull the most current, then when the charge is near completion, it will pull a lot less. This is the final "saturation" phase of charging. So, in short, the phone and battery will not let you overcharge it no matter how many amps you provide it.

I've used Battery Guru to determine the amperage pull using various chargers. The calculation to use is volts x amps = watts. Battery Guru provides the wattage while charging. The maximum charge voltage for the Z10 battery is 4.35V. So to determine how much amperage the battery is taking in while charging, simply divide watt / volts.

When charging with the Playbook charger, I draw about 5 watts. So, that is equivalent to 1.15 amps. Since 1C would be 1.8 amps, this is still well below the maximum recommended charge rate. In fact, it's only 0.64C (64% of the maximum recommended for a lithium battery). I've also hooked the PlayBook international charger (2 amps) to the Z10 and it didn't charge at a higher rate (about 5 watts). The 750 mah (old BB charger) will charge at 0.4C while pushing the charger at 92% of its rated maximum. We could argue if this is an issue for the charger but I haven't had one break yet.

With all that said, it's probably marginally (I mean by a tiny margin) better for the battery to charge at the lowest practical rate. I've heard that you should never charge below 0.2C as this can lead to very inefficient charging and may not saturate the battery properly. At night (when I'm in no hurry), I use the old BB 750 mah charger and it works fine. If I need to charge quickly, I'll use the PlayBook charger or the BlackBerry premium car charger (1.8 amps). They all work great and none of them will hurt your battery.

So, I hope this puts the charger argument to rest. Trust me, I spend a lot of time trying to figure this out. I don't have a degree in EE or anything like that. So, if anyone can prove me wrong, please feel free to do so.

Thanks! "
    underway99, FF22 and jpvj like this.
    06-13-14 12:44 PM
    I've been using my old Nokia USB charger in the past 1 month. No problems do far and the charging is very fast I must say
    Using PlayBook charger to charge the Z10-img_20140614_031134.jpg

Encrypted on my Z10
    06-13-14 02:13 PM

Posted via CB10
    No it won't

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    06-13-14 02:53 PM
    2 conditions must be met, as long as the voltage rating is the same as OEM spec (5.0V) & a higher mah rating is safe to use.

For long term concerns, you should consider heat and at what percentage you do plug in the phone for a charge. I never use the PB charger overnight and I charge/battery swap when the percentage gets as low as 50%, when I do charge the phone directly I don't use it; there was a study that showed that charging often (@50% - 90%) will prolong the battery for the current technology.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-14 02:45 PM
    2 conditions must be met, as long as the voltage rating is the same as OEM spec (5.0V) & a higher mah rating is safe to use.

For long term concerns, you should consider heat and at what percentage you do plug in the phone for a charge. I never use the PB charger overnight and I charge/battery swap when the percentage gets as low as 50%, when I do charge the phone directly I don't use it; there was a study that showed that charging often (@50% - 90%) will prolong the battery for the current technology.

Posted via CB10
    This is exactly how I use it when on my break at work for about 45/50 minutes does the trick quick and I never use it for prolonged times

Posted via CB10
    06-14-14 03:27 PM
    I'm the opposite; I have to use my Z10 plug for my playbook.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-14 03:31 PM
    I've only use the PlayBook charger on my phone since I got my Z in April 2013.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-14 08:56 PM
    I have a bit of a concern using the PlayBook charger in the Z10. I feel like it would damage the phone in the long run. The battery

Posted via CB10
    I have been using the PlayBook charger every night since day 1. (Feb 2013).

Absolutely no issues for me.

STL100-3 | Rogers | 10.3.0.296/442
    06-15-14 12:26 AM
    Agree I've used the play book charger with no issues , even bought another just for the Z10, Mrs also uses it for her HTC again no issues

Posted via CB10
    06-15-14 04:35 AM
    The most important thing is that the phone is 100% fine with any USB charger.

Cheap chargers have very bad characteristics in many ways, so use any quality charger. Unfortunately you really can't tell if the output is "quality" or not, but the tests I have seen clearly showed that quality and price was related.

There is a LOT of theory about how to charge your batteries.

The charging circuit in the device will handle it so my advice: Charge it when you need to, no matter if it is down to 90% or 0%.

The battery will wear out over time and a new one is cheap. So enjoy life and your phone and don't worry :-)

Posted via CB10
    06-15-14 04:51 AM
    We have 2 Playbooks, a 9900, and a Z10. All get charged on whatever charger is handy, except my Playbook goes in the charging cradle at night because I use it as my clock and alarm. We also have two charging bundles, one for each phone. And occasionally the TomTom will get plugged into one of these, as will a small Bluetooth keyboard.
    I've yet to see any issues with any of these.
    06-15-14 06:12 AM
    I use the Playbook's Magnetic travel chargers on my PB's. So I use the pb's usb chargers on my phone - there are a few scattered about the house and one reserved for travel.
    06-15-14 10:05 AM
    PB chargers can be had for cheap off Amazon

Posted via CB10
    06-15-14 02:00 PM
    I use PB chargers almost exclusively. I leave it connected all night. Did the same with my 9900, Z10, PB. No battery problems ever. The kids use them with their phones frequently. The chargers and the phones are smart enough to handle things. I don't need to worry about them.
    06-15-14 02:33 PM

Posted via CB10
    Regulating actions such as amp draw and on/off charging are done in the phone hardware, every phone's hardware. The transformer, aka the "Charger" only supplies X voltage with max amperage as demanded by the phone hardware. So unless there is damaged hardware (or he firmware that runs it) on your phone, the PB charger will function without harm.
    I use it as well as a high amperage nokia BT speaker charger as well as anything handy with a micro usb plug. no damage has been done to phone or battery.
    FF22 likes this.
    06-15-14 05:27 PM
    I hope not. I've using my playbook charger for everything haha

Beproud - BlackBerry 10
    Me too, even non-BB. LOL

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums
    06-16-14 12:03 AM
    Avoid the cheap "china" chargers. The main issues are:

• Cheap components
    • Increased risk of failing or even catching fire
    • Voltage can fluctuate or peak. This is of course not optimal for your device.
    • May not be able to deliver as much current as the original (even though the sticker tells you otherwise).
    06-16-14 05:52 AM
30 12