I have not found the NFC being on to be a battery drainer. It's like standby on my phone. And when I walk away from my car, it turns my bluetooth off which is nice.

You can program a couple of actions on one tag.

My Z10 - an extension of me
    I would love to do this in my family car. However since the car is driven either by me (Z10) or my wife (Note3), can one tag be programmed for different phone? Or should i ask the ff questions:

Can a tag programmed to turn on/off bluetooth work on 2 or more similar phone brand/model?

Can a tag programmed to turn on/off bluetooth work on 2 or more different phone brand/model?

Can a tag programmed to function differently under different phone? (ie one phone do bluetooth on/off, while the other do hotspot on/off)

Can a tag programmed to do multiple function at a single tap/bump? (ie turn off wifi and turn on bluetooth and GPS)

Z10 10.2.1.2977
    08-06-14 05:52 PM
    I would love to do this in my family car. However since the car is driven either by me (Z10) or my wife (Note3), can one tag be programmed for different phone? Or should i ask the ff questions:

Can a tag programmed to turn on/off bluetooth work on 2 or more similar phone brand/model?

Can a tag programmed to turn on/off bluetooth work on 2 or more different phone brand/model?

Can a tag programmed to function differently under different phone? (ie one phone do bluetooth on/off, while the other do hotspot on/off)

Can a tag programmed to do multiple function at a single tap/bump? (ie turn off wifi and turn on bluetooth and GPS)

Z10 10.2.1.2977
    We have multiple devices programmed on the smart tag in my car. It's like an SD card and has some memory space. Two Z10s and an S2.

My Z10 - an extension of me
    08-07-14 09:59 AM
    I want someone to NFC with..
    08-08-14 01:39 AM
    By the title, it's clear the OP is a virgin.....NFC user

Sadly where I am not that many uses for it, I mainly use it for checking the balance on my public transport card.
    08-08-14 04:49 AM
    NFC is kinda like spooning for phones...

On a serious note, how exactly do you create an nfc tag to turn the bluetooth on in the car, ever since the last update my porcshe doesn't connect automatically, I have to tell it to find the phone, then I have to connect...pain in the buttocks

PS the other cars connect fine

CB10/Z10
    08-09-14 09:18 PM
    I do too! Two, no, make that three, of my closest friends still use flip phones! Another has a Palm Pilot he refuses to give up. And in the US there are virtually no stores (near me anyway) who use NFC for payments. But I'm dying to try it out on something!

I want someone to NFC with..
    08-17-14 04:09 PM
    I've just ordered some tags to experiment with. I plan to use them initially to toggle WiFi and Bluetooth but what I don't know yet is whether the tags will work while the phone is locked. I use picture password so if the phone has to be unlocked first it rather defeats the exercise. Can just as easily use the quick settings menu!

Anyway, we will see once my tags arrive...

Posted via CB10
    08-17-14 05:09 PM
    I use Picture Password too. I'll be curious to see what you discover.

I've just ordered some tags to experiment with. I plan to use them initially to toggle WiFi and Bluetooth but what I don't know yet is whether the tags will work while the phone is locked. I use picture password so if the phone has to be unlocked first it rather defeats the exercise. Can just as easily use the quick settings menu!

Anyway, we will see once my tags arrive...
    08-17-14 06:10 PM
    Shared a location that way, v cool

HTC TOUCH, Nokia-N97, BlackBerry Torch 9800, Z10
    08-17-14 07:16 PM
    I just ordered some NFC tags, can't wait to try them out later this week

Posted via my ZED10
    08-17-14 07:23 PM
    All this talk of tags makes me want some too. Do they make them with the the BlackBerry splat (or whatever the red * is called)?

Posted via CB10
    08-17-14 10:12 PM
    I use it everyday as I use Symple ID... awesome use of the NFC to remember your online passwords!
    And I rub salt on all iPhone users as it lacks NFC

Posted via CB10... and my awesome Z10
    08-17-14 10:51 PM
    All this talk of tags makes me want some too. Do they make them with the the BlackBerry splat (or whatever the red * is called)?

Posted via CB10
    I've got this with Symple ID!

Used NFC for first time, it was beautiful-img_20140818_092315.jpg

Posted via CB10... and my awesome Z10
    mrimperfect likes this.
    08-17-14 10:53 PM
    Just did some research on smart tags. Had no idea this existed and my Z10 has it. My mind is blown! Thanks for waking me from my NFC slumber.

Fat kid grown up to be a fat man.
    08-17-14 11:25 PM
    I do too! Two, no, make that three, of my closest friends still use flip phones! Another has a Palm Pilot he refuses to give up. And in the US there are virtually no stores (near me anyway) who use NFC for payments. But I'm dying to try it out on something!
    I'm not sure if the readers are compatible with BlackBerry devices but Macy's, CVS, Foot Locker/Champs and New York and Company have NFC readers. I heard that McDonald's does, too, but I haven't been in one to verify it.
    08-18-14 01:51 PM
    I always tell NFC newbies that it's a BlackBerry feature not available on iOS or android and to go out and get one.

"Hip to be Square" - Huey Lewis and the News
    08-18-14 03:43 PM
    I always tell NFC newbies that it's a BlackBerry feature not available on iOS or android and to go out and get one.

"Hip to be Square" - Huey Lewis and the News
    Why would you tell people that NFC is not available on Android when that is not true?
    08-19-14 09:03 AM
    I'm not sure if the readers are compatible with BlackBerry devices but Macy's, CVS, Foot Locker/Champs and New York and Company have NFC readers. I heard that McDonald's does, too, but I haven't been in one to verify it.
    Same down south. would really like to use the NFC to pay. Any info on how to make this work in the U.S.
    08-19-14 12:04 PM
    I will definitely have to ask about this the next time I go to cvs! They certainly aren't advertising it if it's available.

Posted with my Q10, SQN100-2, 10.2.1.3253/3182 Radio
    08-19-14 01:18 PM
    Why would you tell people that NFC is not available on Android when that is not true?
    He already told you; so they can go out and get a BLACKBERRY. Believe it or not a lot of people with android phones don't know about it either. It's not something that is advertised.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-14 02:03 PM
    it is here in the states, and for payment you need an isis compatible phone. And Samsung ( one of the bigger android makers) sells Tectiles that are NFC based ( but not on the open standard as I understand it they absolutely do not work with BB phones). The samsungs can do a lot that blackberry cant ( like I would love to have a tag on my bike and when I leave the office it sends I can touch it and have it automatically and completely hands free) send a text to my wife with a specific message like " on the way home now will pass the grocery, text me if we need anything"

Saying that because its not " advertised" that its okay to misrepresent the functionality ( like say miracast) seems a little sketchy to me, but that could just be me. I'd also be a little leery of telling them that android phones don't have NFC and they buy a blackeberry only to find out they do which kind of jams me up.

and my understanding is that WP8 has fixed some of the problems they had with NFC with the upper level nokia phones.
    08-19-14 02:35 PM
    Tags arrived today and I can report that the phone has to be fully unlocked in order that the tag to be recognised. :-(

Bit of a pity but not entirely unexpected!

Posted via CB10
    Ragbert likes this.
    08-19-14 03:42 PM
    Thanks for the follow-up, EagleStephen. I'm not surprised either, since allowing NFC to override password protection would be a huge security loophole. So minor inconvenience aside, I'm actually relieved.

Tags arrived today and I can report that the phone has to be fully unlocked in order that the tag to be recognised. :-(

Bit of a pity but not entirely unexpected!

Posted with my Q10, SQN100-2, 10.2.1.3253/3182 Radio
    08-19-14 03:57 PM
    Same reason phone stores say blackberry is dead??? False information?
    08-19-14 04:00 PM
    How exactly does that password remembrance thingy work. And what is the "tap" move exactly, that all in here talk about? ( yes, I can Google/bing it, but now that I am in here anyways...)
    08-19-14 04:00 PM
103 1234 ...