I had never had a need to use NFC on my Z10. In the US NFC is one of those forgotten technologies. (Basically of it is not on Apple hardware it doesn't exist.)

But that changed yesterday. I had a colleague who throughout the day kept asking me to send her stuff from my phone so I kept having to email or text it.

Then while sitting at the at the airport waiting for our much delayed flight I asked, do you have NFC on your phone? "No. What's that?" She said. I tried to explain it but she gave me a *cricketts* expression and just handed her phone to me to check. .

It was some android device, looked pretty nice. I think it was a Nexus 4. (I didn't really look). I just brought up the settings and checked if NFC was in there somewhere and sure enough it was.

So I figured what the hell let's see if I can transfer some stuff to her phone this way. I went to my Z10 and chose a contact she requested. Share it via NFC, put the phones together and whoala! Her Android loaded it and asked where to put it.

It was quick and speedy and then we tried it with a couple of other items and that worked too. It was very neat to see it working cross platform like that.

Love my Z10.

Posted via CB10
    KDB84, zackoff96, lift and 2 others like this.
    08-01-14 08:23 AM
    It was very neat to see it working cross platform like that.
    It's because it is universal that it isn't popular. Apple will only ever promote their proprietary features, and the Android manufacturers that do promote NFC will often rename it and make it work between their own devices. S-Beam for example is NFC.

In my opinion...

Posted via CB10
    LoneStarRed likes this.
    08-01-14 08:42 AM
    It is great! I just recently shared a bunch of files with someone. Just tap away!
    08-01-14 08:42 AM
    whoala! Her Android loaded it and asked where to put it.

Love my Z10.

Posted via CB10[/QUOTE]

Where would you'd like to put it instead?

Posted via CB10
    texn884 likes this.
    08-01-14 08:57 AM
    I use nfc to transfer between my daughters samsung. It's awesome technology, especially nfc tap payments.

It's too bad in Canada only CIBC gas it with their visa, TD and RBC have it, but not for blackberry....

CB10/Z10
    08-01-14 09:09 AM
    I really should look into this. My wife has a Q10 I have a Z10 and we've never used it. We BBM photos of our son back and forth like crazy.
    08-01-14 02:01 PM
    It's because it is universal that it isn't popular. Apple will only ever promote their proprietary features, and the Android manufacturers that do promote NFC will often rename it and make it work between their own devices. S-Beam for example is NFC.

In my opinion...

Posted via CB10
    That can't be true. You might as well accuse Apple of slowing down speeds of their older devices so users are forced to upgrade to the new devices to drive sales....

Oh wait...I think that was in the news yesterday. Never mind.
    CerveloJohn and black.rhino like this.
    08-01-14 02:10 PM
    We use NFC all the time. You should try the smart tag too. We use it to connect to my car stereo and Wifi at home. Taught my husband about NFC and smart tag on his Samsung. He uses it with his car stereo and loves it. Along with the Music Gateway :-).

My Z10 - an extension of me
    Blomsternisse likes this.
    08-01-14 03:12 PM
    We use NFC all the time. You should try the smart tag too. We use it to connect to my car stereo and Wifi at home. Taught my husband about NFC and smart tag on his Samsung. He uses it with his car stereo and loves it. Along with the Music Gateway :-).

Ditto.. love smart tags.. also use nfc for mobile payments, good especially if u forget ur wallet and need to buy something

Posted via CB10
    08-01-14 03:43 PM
    Where do you get smart tags?

Posted via CB10
    08-01-14 09:08 PM
    That's how I pay at Tim's, works like a charm!

Posted via CB10
    RyanGermann likes this.
    08-01-14 09:24 PM
    I was at an Arts Fair last weekend and they had posters at some of the booths. There were QR codes but some of them suggested "NFC" for more info. I tapped myh phone against the poster and the artist's web site opened in the Browser. He and I were both impressed.
    08-01-14 09:40 PM
    Use it to pay for my Tim's all the time, as well as share stuff. Love NFC, all the iOS people are missing out.

CB10'n it via da Z...30
    Blomsternisse likes this.
    08-01-14 10:21 PM
    Where do you get smart tags?

Posted via CB10
    I bought mine from Amazon. Five for $10. Think u can get them cheaper off EBay.

08-01-14 11:34 PM
    I bought mine from Amazon. Five for $10. Think u can get them cheaper off EBay.

Ditto on that, I use a tag stuck to my desk at work to turn on/off wifi. Beats burning battery juice with location profiles.
    08-02-14 05:41 AM
    My sister has a Samsung, think I will see if works, could be cool!!!

Sent using my brilliant Z10
    08-02-14 12:36 PM
    My sister has a Samsung, think I will see if works, could be cool!!!

Sent using my brilliant Z10
    The app my husband used for his Samsung is Trigger, to write to the smart tag . We had to go thru quite a bit of trial and error with his phone vs my Z10. So, have some patience if you decide to try the tags with the Samsung. But it works great now and he is happy

08-02-14 04:03 PM
    Ditto on that, I use a tag stuck to my desk at work to turn on/off wifi. Beats burning battery juice with location profiles.
    Turning on NFC also consumes battery life even if not in use right? But does consumes much much lower than GPS.

I havnt use smart tag, so you mean 1 tag yo turn on wifi and another tag to turn off?

Z10 10.2.1.2977
    08-02-14 04:48 PM
    Ditto.. love smart tags.. also use nfc for mobile payments, good especially if u forget ur wallet and need to buy something

Posted via CB10
    I would like to use nfc for this since it's about the only thing i would use it for since most of the people i know have iphones. How can you tell which stores accept this payment? And how do you get funds into your phone to make such payments?

Posted via CB10
    08-02-14 08:01 PM

In my opinion...

Posted via CB10
    S-Beam uses NFC on Samsung phones, but Samsung phones can still do standard file transfers via NFC with non-Samsung phones. S-Beam allows for transfers of larger files (such as video files) between Samsung phones.
    08-02-14 08:53 PM
    I had never had a need to use NFC on my Z10. In the US NFC is one of those forgotten technologies. (Basically of it is not on Apple hardware it doesn't exist.)

But that changed yesterday. I had a colleague who throughout the day kept asking me to send her stuff from my phone so I kept having to email or text it.

Then while sitting at the at the airport waiting for our much delayed flight I asked, do you have NFC on your phone? "No. What's that?" She said. I tried to explain it but she gave me a *cricketts* expression and just handed her phone to me to check. .

It was some android device, looked pretty nice. I think it was a Nexus 4. (I didn't really look). I just brought up the settings and checked if NFC was in there somewhere and sure enough it was.

So I figured what the hell let's see if I can transfer some stuff to her phone this way. I went to my Z10 and chose a contact she requested. Share it via NFC, put the phones together and whoala! Her Android loaded it and asked where to put it.

It was quick and speedy and then we tried it with a couple of other items and that worked too. It was very neat to see it working cross platform like that.

Love my Z10.

Posted via CB10
    Did you slip her your phone number via NFC?

Posted Pantlessly via My Kick @ss Z30!!!
    Ragbert likes this.
    08-02-14 08:55 PM
    Turning on NFC also consumes battery life even if not in use right? But does consumes much much lower than GPS.

I havnt use smart tag, so you mean 1 tag yo turn on wifi and another tag to turn off?

Z10 10.2.1.2977
    I have not found the NFC being on to be a battery drainer. It's like standby on my phone. And when I walk away from my car, it turns my bluetooth off which is nice.

You can program a couple of actions on one tag.

08-02-14 11:50 PM

Z10 10.2.1.2977
    From my observation, leaving the NFC function activated all day has little effect on the battery as compared to most other functions. One single tag will toggle on/toggle off the wifi - sit at desk, bump tag, wifi on; bump tag, wifi off, leave desk. I use the built-in app for programming the tags/phone.
    08-03-14 06:15 AM
    I recently won a BlackBerry Music Gateway in a slogan contest and was more than happy to use NFC in pairing my Z30 with Blackberry Music Gateway all the way streaming music to my Onkyo AV receiver.. NFC tap to stay connected.. exciting indeed

Posted via CB10 on my Z30
    FF22 likes this.
    08-03-14 06:37 AM
    I use one for inside the car which I made, just tap it Bluetooth comes on and connects to my handsfree in the car
    08-03-14 11:37 AM
103 123 ...