I went to the help page..I do not have twitter and no one at Blackberyr I can actually call...what has the world come to!
    03-01-13 02:36 PM
    I have control of our mail server that we use and our clients use (We're a local ISP). The mail log I was referring to was /var/log/maillog which is the log file for most mail activity on our server. To be clear, the issue is not affecting smtp.telus.net on port 25 (as long as your using the Cell network and not WIFI), the issue seems to be affecting SMTP service on other mail servers. I'm trying to narrow it down a bit and see if its non-port 25 traffic that is broken.

So...

Is there anyone having the problems sending that is using port 25 for their SMTP server and it's NOT the smtp.telus.net server? If not, it's a port-specific issue with non port 25 traffic and the mail app. Should be an easy fix if that's the case, just need to alert BB to it.

Matt
    03-01-13 02:37 PM
    I had it set up on my own smtp server (hosted by Network solutions) sending out on port 587 before the update. Once updated that stopped working. Telus had me turn off wifi and use smtp.telus.net on port 25 which did work but of course a wifi did not work did not really solve my problem. That was say at 11:00 AM

Since then it worked for two hours and then stopped working around 1:30 - 2:00 -

Now no smtp.telus.net emails with wifi on or off will go out. I am on the phone once again with Telus.
    03-01-13 02:56 PM
    Yes smtp.telus.net with WIFI on will definitely not work as it has to be on their IP space. If its now not working on the Cell network, have a look in your Outbox and make sure there isn't a bunch of messages clogged up in there. Delete or move them out and try again. Maybe do a battery pull after you've cleaned out the Outbox just to be safe or at least a reboot of the phone. I know of desktop email clients, if you sent a message with bad settings, they often continue to try using those settings even after you've updated and fixed them.

Matt
    03-01-13 03:05 PM
    I set up my daughters email on my phone (same hosting / mail server) and it would not send via my smtp server but did send via smtp.telus.net while mine will not. Now I need to wait and see if it times out or not and will not send. Telus has issued me a ticket # and is taking it up with Blackberry.....I just pulled the battery (after shutting it down) and have deleted all the old failed emails and now the smtp.telus.net worked. Hopefully it keeps working....not sure though why my email does not work.
    03-01-13 03:28 PM
    I set up my daughters email on my phone (same hosting / mail server) and it would not send via my smtp server but did send via smtp.telus.net while mine will not. Now I need to wait and see if it times out or not and will not send. Telus has issued me a ticket # and is taking it up with Blackberry.....I just pulled the battery (after shutting it down) and have deleted all the old failed emails and now the smtp.telus.net worked. Hopefully it keeps working....not sure though why my email does not work.
    1REDRUM - Are your email problems just outbound sending or are you also having incoming mail problems as well? My understanding is this is just an outbound problem, but if your having incoming issues that may be something else.

Matt
    03-01-13 03:34 PM
    The tech guy I spoke to at Telus said it happens to all phones even Apple etc. sometimes and the only thing to do is to turn off wifi as the wifi is the issue. Well...sounds strange to me as while I did get it to work the smtp.telus.net is no longer sending the emails.

I am with Network Solutions as well for my pop / smtp email so not sure if this has anything to do with it?
    The crazy thing about this issue is that my settings work ALL THE TIME on my playbook's native email app and that is over wifi. So telus' thing about wifi being the issue is wrong.

Bottom line is that the settings worked last night as I was sending off work emails like a banshee then once I did the upgrade my emails would no longer send. Settings that have worked for a month on the Z10 do not work anymore. Settings that are the SAME on my PB still work. I can send emails just like always from my PB so I know the settings work.
    03-01-13 03:42 PM
    1REDRUM - Are your email problems just outbound sending or are you also having incoming mail problems as well? My understanding is this is just an outbound problem, but if your having incoming issues that may be something else.

Matt
    yes just outgoing. I just sent this link to the Telus tech who is following up with RIM so he can see it is not just me.
    03-01-13 04:03 PM
    I have two friends with Telus having the same issue.

Posted via CB10
    03-01-13 04:13 PM
    Earlier today I switched to port 25 all worked and I was a happy camper. Now nothing. Tried switching to port 587, phone says setting not recognized or some such statement. Switched back to 25, only can send OUT emails if WiFi is off. yet like many have already posted my PB with same settings as Z10, same port #, same everything still chugs along sending OUT emails whether I'm on WiFi or Telus. And like some I too am using a company email server. are we going to have issues like this everytime there's an OS update on the Z10?
    03-01-13 05:14 PM
    I'm on AT&T...My POP email worked fine for the first 2 weeks..Then all of a sudden it keeps saying , 'not connected'..i tried basicallly everything..I think its a blackberry issue.
    03-01-13 08:43 PM
    1REDRUM - Can you provide the TELUS ticket #? We'd like to followup with them and quote the ticket for reference.
    03-02-13 08:21 AM
    1REDRUM - Can you provide the TELUS ticket #? We'd like to followup with them and quote the ticket for reference.
    My ticket is #2128166

I am about to speak to a tech guy in a few minutes on the phone from Telus / RIM to further test things out.
    03-02-13 11:07 AM
    Richard from Telus is working on it.......will let you know
    03-02-13 11:16 AM
    Escalated to Blalckberry.....can get it working with wifi off on smtp.telus.net port 587 but not sure for how long...still will not work with my own email server or on wifi. Supposedly they are having problems with sympatico accounts as well.
    03-02-13 12:30 PM
    1REDRUM - Thanks for the update. We weren't having any issues with smtp.telus.net on either port 25 or 587 . Like you, it was our own server on port 587 that is no longer functioning. We can see the successful authentication in the log files but the message submission never occurs.
    03-02-13 01:27 PM
    1REDRUM - Thanks for the update. We weren't having any issues with smtp.telus.net on either port 25 or 587 . Like you, it was our own server on port 587 that is no longer functioning. We can see the successful authentication in the log files but the message submission never occurs.
    I am not sure why I have had issues with the smtp.telus.net but I have been playing around with it alot and it seemed that once an email failed to go out the rest would fail. Deleteing any pending emails that are stuck and restarting the device solved the problem for now. My mail server is with Network Solutions so not sure if this is only affecting them? Is your mail hosted elsewhere? If so then it is not just Network Solutions etc. I am waiting to see if smtp.telus.net fails again and if so I will send the logs to Blackberry again for analysis.
    03-02-13 01:48 PM
    I am not sure why I have had issues with the smtp.telus.net but I have been playing around with it alot and it seemed that once an email failed to go out the rest would fail. Deleteing any pending emails that are stuck and restarting the device solved the problem for now. My mail server is with Network Solutions so not sure if this is only affecting them? Is your mail hosted elsewhere? If so then it is not just Network Solutions etc. I am waiting to see if smtp.telus.net fails again and if so I will send the logs to Blackberry again for analysis.
    We host our own mail server (we're an ISP). The only time I've had issues with smtp.telus.net is if I forget to turn off WiFi before sending. In those instances I have to go back into the message and choose Resend after turning WiFi off.
    03-02-13 01:58 PM
    like you it's my work email account that won't send on WiFi from my Z10. Actually I've had this problem since day #1 but after a week I did something (don't know exactly except changed the port to 25), and all was good. Then the latest OS update and back to square 1. no matter what port I use. very, very frustrating to have to turn off WiFi to send an email. Yet sending an email using my Gmail account is no problem. And I am on Telus, the local dealer is clueless.
    03-02-13 05:59 PM
    Can I get some details on how your outgoing servers are setup?

Encryption (SSL/TLS) enabled?
    Authentication enabled?

What incoming method are you using - IMAP? POP?

Some SMTP servers use the previous POP authentication to pass through and authenticate an outgoing SMTP message. In such a case, if POP hadn't been recently checked, the outgoing traffic might not work. (This method is often called "POP before SMTP")
    03-02-13 11:30 PM
    I am having issues replying only. If I create a new email it seems to work every time. I am using 1and1 imap port 587. My replies only seem to bounce from specific people and at this point I only notice it happening on @bellaliant.net and @accesswave.com and @ns.sympatico.ca accounts. I am not sure what is happening.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-13 06:20 AM
    I forgot to mention, it doesn't matter whether wifi is on or off. ( and it shouldn't matter because I am using TLS with authentication on 1and1 )

Posted via CB10
    03-03-13 06:23 AM
    My replies only seem to bounce from specific people and at this point I only notice it happening on @bellaliant.net and @accesswave.com and @ns.sympatico.ca accounts.
    That's interesting. I wonder if Telus is sharing email infrastructure with those companies and has some sort of mail routing issue.

But from what tceagle wrote:

We can see the successful authentication in the log files but the message submission never occurs.

...it seems that it has something to do with the sending process on the client side. If mail routing were the problem, it would presumably not have made the initial connection to the correct forwarding email server. And since the transaction there never completed, it doesn't seem like it could be a routing issue. Something's going on with the SMTP transaction itself, or the client is pausing or dying at the point between the initial handshake and the part where it's supposed to start sending data.
    03-03-13 06:39 AM
    Strange. I just replied to someone else on ns.sympatico.ca and it went through ok.... i went back to another email on ns.sympatico.ca and it won't go through.. Seems to be tied to certain accounts

Posted via CB10
    03-03-13 07:12 AM
    In more testing I have noticed that it seems to be email specific. I can reply to some people and not others. I just did tests on bellaliant accounts and 2 of 3 didn?t work. Maybe these emails are on different servers within bell?

Posted via CB10
    03-03-13 07:27 AM
333 1234 ...