I too can no longer send email through Port 25 on POP3 email. It was working fine until I updated the Firmware. I am on Vodafone in the UK Firmware version 10.0.10.90. If I set the outgoing smtp server to google this is fine. But not a lot of good as it sets the reply email address to my google account which I dont want. If I turn wifi off then try to edit the email account I get: Unable to log in: "SMTP server xxxxx port 25 does not support authentication". Try setting SSL to StarTLS or removing SMTP username from configuration. I am no expert here but surely if you have SSL to off and the error message is "Unable to log in: SMTP server xxxxx port 25 does not support authentication" then something is wrong with the phone software. Any help appreciated here too.
    03-03-13 07:31 AM
    I am having issues replying only. If I create a new email it seems to work every time. I am using 1and1 imap port 587. My replies only seem to bounce from specific people and at this point I only notice it happening on @bellaliant.net and @accesswave.com and @ns.sympatico.ca accounts. I am not sure what is happening.
    Bell Aliant uses OpenWave Messaging, AccessWave is part of Eastlink (a Canadian cableco) and do their own MX, Sympatico uses Hotmail. No real pattern there... unfortunately.
    03-03-13 07:39 AM
    Unable to log in: "SMTP server xxxxx port 25 does not support authentication". Try setting SSL to StarTLS or removing SMTP username from configuration. I am no expert here but surely if you have SSL to off and the error message is "Unable to log in: SMTP server xxxxx port 25 does not support authentication" then something is wrong with the phone software. Any help appreciated here too.
    The message is quite literal. Port 25 is non-authenticated. You probably still have your email address in the SMTP Username field in the account setup. Remove that and ensure encryption is turned off. You should then be able to send through your carrier's SMTP server ***IF*** you have WiFi tuned off and are on cellular data.
    03-03-13 07:43 AM
    Progress! It seems to be html emails that aren't going through! Text emails are fine!

Posted via CB10
    03-03-13 07:44 AM
    Progress! It seems to be html emails that aren't going through! Text emails are fine!
    That makes no sense! Are you sending to the same address is both cases? This just keeps getting weirder and weirder.
    03-03-13 07:55 AM
    Its not that. It is exactly the same settings that have been working on my Z10 for three weeks. If you take out the username then return to the inbox and try to send an email you get a "red no entry road sign" next to the failed email as opposed to the clock face you normally get.
    03-03-13 07:56 AM
    Its not that. It is exactly the same settings that have been working on my Z10 for three weeks. If you take out the username then return to the inbox and try to send an email you get a "red no entry road sign" next to the failed email as opposed to the clock face you normally get.
    Yeah, based on your previous report and some of the previous datapoints here, I'd say something in the email client is definitely fubar'd.

Supposedly the OP has an open case with Telus who escalated it to BBRY, I hope that goes somewhere.
    03-03-13 08:25 AM
    Its not that. It is exactly the same settings that have been working on my Z10 for three weeks.
    That's the thrust of this thread... the OS update broke the email (the thread is mis-named as POP still works).
    If you take out the username then return to the inbox and try to send an email you get a "red no entry road sign" next to the failed email as opposed to the clock face you normally get.
    The red icon simply means it failed. If you open the message, go into the submenu and choose resend, it should send... **IF** you are using your carrier's smtp server on port 25 on cellular data.
    03-03-13 08:27 AM
    Take a look at the following knowledgebase article for Playbook - I'm seeing some common threads here, including error-msgs and problem domains:

KB31030-The error "StartTLS is configured with server <domain> with IMAP, but the connection attempt failed" is displayed when attempting a simple setup of an IMAP email account
    03-03-13 08:30 AM
    03-03-13 08:31 AM
    Take a look at the following knowledgebase article for Playbook - I'm seeing some common threads here, including error-msgs and problem domains:

KB31030-The error "StartTLS is configured with server <domain> with IMAP, but the connection attempt failed" is displayed when attempting a simple setup of an IMAP email account
    Yes and no... the article seems to presume that one is using the carrier's SMTP on cellular data and not a third-party server with AUTH SMTP.
    03-03-13 08:34 AM
    Hi,
    jsut a proposal (question to tech experts here as well basically):

to be clear: I am not an advanced user in this aspect, so my comment might be totally silly and out of place, sorry if so and please do enlighten me if you have the knowledge and time.

From what I read the carrier ppl there tell you to switch wifi off and have the data handle your email out.... I can only imaging why... My proposal/ Question: Is it possible that carriers might in some cases include overrides in the updates so as for mail to go through data instead... ?

I know it is silly, but if you have data on and wifi on the phone goes for wifi first right? So what if there is a conflict and if you actually turn wifi on and data off, maybe that would somehow resolve such conflict (default wifi first vs data for mail by update somehow?).

I know it is silly at best but if anyone would like to give it a try or tell me if such wild goose chase question would have any legit basis technically speaking?

Thanks AND thanks (one goes for bleeding your eyes out looking at such technically uneducated question) :-P
    PS: I have not updated (I am on a 2 model) and still use pop as before, so I cannot check out my case yet.
    Akure4Life likes this.
    03-03-13 08:43 AM
    The red icon simply means it failed. If you open the message, go into the submenu and choose resend, it should send... **IF** you are using your carrier's smtp server on port 25 on cellular data.
    Yes I know how to resend but it doesnt. If you try to resend without a username and password in SMTP as you suggest it fails hence the red symbol. If I add the username and password (as I had before update and it worked perfectly) you now get the clock symbol. The update has screwed it up. What I need to know is can I roll back? A blackberry with no email is like paying for gym membership and not going. Who hasnt been there... :-)
    03-03-13 08:48 AM
    Hmm, that looks nasty.

But it's interesting because people had been complaining elsewhere here of funky timestamps on outgoing messages, ie the Z10 was leaving out UTC offset parameters in emails.

Someone else reported on the "Rogers 10.0.10.85" thread that they had noticed some sort of "fix" for outgoing messages that had previously been "5 hours off".

Something strange in them thar headers....
    03-03-13 08:50 AM
    Hi,
    I know it is silly, but if you have data on and wifi on the phone goes for wifi first right? So what if there is a conflict and if you actually turn wifi on and data off, maybe that would somehow resolve such conflict (default wifi first vs data for mail by update somehow?).
    Good thought and it was the one combination I hadn't tried, but no luck. I believe the WiFi override is a function of the OS that the carrier can't mess with (I would hope).
    currentodysseys likes this.
    03-03-13 08:50 AM
    Yes I know how to resend but it doesnt. If you try to resend without a username and password in SMTP as you suggest it fails hence the red symbol. If I add the username and password (as I had before update and it worked perfectly) you now get the clock symbol. The update has screwed it up. What I need to know is can I roll back? A blackberry with no email is like paying for gym membership and not going. Who hasnt been there... :-)
    Ah yes... the gym membership. Least used investment I've ever made.

Not sure about rolling back the OS. I did mine OTA so I don't know if BB Link has the functionality to roll back.
    03-03-13 08:52 AM
    I hate to say it but over the last month I keep getting the impression that they laid-off all the old BBOS engineers and these QNX guys are re-inventing the wheel on some things without the benefit of RIM's built-up knowledge in those areas...
    03-03-13 08:52 AM
    Hmm, that looks nasty.

But it's interesting because people had been complaining elsewhere here of funky timestamps on outgoing messages, ie the Z10 was leaving out UTC offset parameters in emails.

Someone else reported on the "Rogers 10.0.10.85" thread that they had noticed some sort of "fix" for outgoing messages that had previously been "5 hours off".

Something strange in them thar headers....
    Yeah, the Canadian Webhosting article and BB Forum postings don't quite nail it but there are enough similarities to know that BB has something amiss. Hard to imagine company with email at its roots would ignore email RFCs but it's as good an explanation as anything.
    03-03-13 08:55 AM
    I'm also beginning to wonder if what is going on here is the MTA's are seeing malformed messages coming from the Z10 and refusing to process them.

Resulting in "strange" error messages like "not authenticated".

These are the kinds of times when I despise operating environments that "sanitize" everything with "friendly" error messages instead of letting you see the raw data (and errors) getting kicked-back by the system...
    tceagle likes this.
    03-03-13 08:56 AM
    ^Which would explain "authenticated but didn't see a message transferred".
    tceagle likes this.
    03-03-13 08:57 AM
    Well I shouldn't "begin to wonder" - that's pretty much what the Canadian web hosting post said straight-out.
    tceagle likes this.
    03-03-13 08:59 AM
    Here's the "weird email timestamps" thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...stamps-770665/
    03-03-13 09:02 AM
    I hate to say it but over the last month I keep getting the impression that they laid-off all the old BBOS engineers and these QNX guys are re-inventing the wheel on some things without the benefit of RIM's built-up knowledge in those areas...
    It is such a shame because the phone is just so great in so many other ways. Today I received a picture message through, I clicked "share" and sent the picture straight to my dropbox from the message. Its little things like that make it so cool in so many ways.
    03-03-13 09:03 AM
    Good thought and it was the one combination I hadn't tried, but no luck. I believe the WiFi override is a function of the OS that the carrier can't mess with (I would hope).
    Thanks for even trying that one out. I am sorry the wild guess did not come out to win the lottery lol (that almost never happens *sod*).

I do sincerely hope and do believe that your last statement be true : "I believe the WiFi override is a function of the OS that the carrier can't mess with (I would hope)."

all the best and if I get any update I ll post here.
    Hang on in there!
    03-03-13 09:06 AM
    Here's the post where someone reported a change in 10.0.10.85 with timestamps on outgoing messages:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post8049943
    03-03-13 09:08 AM
333 12345 ...