My outlook.com, phone, BBM works.

My pop email receives mail but will not send. I did not change any settings and they are the same as on my Outlook. However...my password is blank...I update it...save it...and it does not save.

Any suggestions?

It was all working perfectly since the day I first picked up the Z10 until I did the update tonight.
    02-28-13 07:43 PM
    Sorry I don't have a solution all I am adding is that my POP account no longer sends after my update through Telus as well. I even deleted the account and created it again with the exact POP settings that are currently working on my Playbook.
    03-01-13 02:06 AM
    Sorry I don't have a solution all I am adding is that my POP account no longer sends after my update through Telus as well. I even deleted the account and created it again with the exact POP settings that are currently working on my Playbook.
    The POP settings are not going to be the problem there, it is the outgoing (SMTP) settings that you need to take a look at.

Were you people upgrading from a leaked version? Are you using an unlocked device or did you buy the device from the carrier it is activated on? What happens when you try to send email - do you get an error message, if so what does it say?

When the leak came out a few days ago several people reported they had to re-enter all their email passwords. You may want to try a full reboot (hold down power button for ~3-10 seconds and answer reboot prompt) and see if that helps.
    03-01-13 02:42 AM
    I thought going to sleep might help but no. Have tried a battery pull. I had the software that came out of the box from Telus and updated yesterday. There were two...one the 149 (or whatever it was) and the other 700+ MB. Everything works except for the SMTP outgoing mail. If I put in an incorrect password it knows it is incorrect. If I put in the correct one the error messsage basically sa "The servver for accont MY EMAIL ETC. port: 587) can't be reached. The settings might be incorrect or the server could be temporarilty offline. Check your settings and try again."

I have made no changes..it sounds like deleting will not help. What now? Call Blackberry? Telus? Brutal!
    03-01-13 07:00 AM
    On AT&T with a unlocked updated Telus phone and outgoing mail works fine (when not connected to Wifi). Could be a SMTP server issue at Telus or your connected to wifi and their servers will not relay the email.

Posted via CB10
    03-01-13 07:31 AM
    I tried with no wifi....I suppose I will call Telus but I doubt they will be any help
    03-01-13 09:13 AM
    So are both of you using a Telus server for outgoing SMTP? And just to clarify, you've tried connecting to WiFi/disabling cellular data just in case the issue is specific to either cell data or wifi?

Can you give me the hostname of the telus server? I could test on it from here to at least see if it's responding, although it might be locked down to customers on Telus' networks.
    LadyOfTheLAN and mset like this.
    03-01-13 09:34 AM
    So are both of you using a Telus server for outgoing SMTP? And just to clarify, you've tried connecting to WiFi/disabling cellular data just in case the issue is specific to either cell data or wifi?

Can you give me the hostname of the telus server? I could test on it from here to at least see if it's responding, although it might be locked down to customers on Telus' networks.
    I'm using AT&T mail server here in the US but when I'm on Telus I use smtp.telus.net, Port 25, No SSL, No Authentication.

http://www.telusmobility.com/en/ON/Email/index.shtml has their email settings for popular email providers.

Posted via CB10
    03-01-13 09:49 AM
    I'm using AT&T mail server here in the US but when I'm on Telus I use smtp.telus.net, Port 25, No SSL, No Authentication.

Mobile Phones*|* Email*|* Services*|* Support*|* TELUS Mobility has their email settings for popular email providers.
    Well at the moment smtp.telus.net is reachable from here and responds to SMTP session initiation on either port 25 or port 587.

Maybe Blackberry just introduced a regression bug in their SMTP code with the latest release. Then again, some people seem to not have that issue.

Another possibility is that Telus messed-up something in either their network, or in the radio code for their BB10 firmware release that screws up connectivity to their mail server(s) for some reason.
    03-01-13 10:01 AM
    yup mine too. Changed the port to 25 and so far (fingers crossed) success. This kind of nonsense just makes customers PO'ed. Why can't things work as they are supposed to. I'm loosing patience with BB if this is their fault and not Telus's.
    03-01-13 10:27 AM
    So here is my update...I mentioned above late last night that my POP settings were exactly the same as the one's on my Playbook and I should have been more clear. What I meant was that both my POP and SMTP setting were exactly the same and on both devices I was receiving the same emails but only able to send on the Playbook. This morning after a little sleep I have done some more tests. Once again all settings are the same on my Native email app on the PB as they are on my Z10. I turned off the cell network on my Z10 and both devices are connected to the same wifi network. I can send to my online gmail account from the PB but I get the clock icon on the Z10 indicating that it cannot send the email.

I am on Telus but my email that I use is not through Telus it is a work account that is hosted by a company called Network Solutions. The fact that the EXACT settings work on the Playbook and not on the Z10 after updating to the latest Z10 BB10 OS (not leaked, did it through the phone last night like everyone else) tells me that it is a BB10 issue and not a network error or a Telus issue. I am sure the reason why we are not hearing more about this issue is that most people probably receive their emails through Active Sync accounts or gmail.

I do have this same account going through outlook.com and syncing to my Z10 through active sync as this is how I sync my calendar and contacts so this is not a deal breaker for me as I have turned on email sync on this account now. I just liked using the POP / SMTP account for email as I found I actually got the messages faster and my email address that my customers saw when I sent them an email was not an odd "outlook.com on behalf of..." email address...but i digress...
    darb revluc likes this.
    03-01-13 11:02 AM
    I'm having the same issue with SMTP. Do you have a decent resource I can use to figure out how to use and outlook.com account to get my mail working somewhat properly? Would I have to log into my BellAliant Webmail to forward msgs to the Outlook address?
    03-01-13 11:33 AM
    Can I ask what SMTP servers wingman1970 and UncleMiltie are using? Is UncleMiltie also on Telus? (Sounds like he's on Bell?)

Because so far it looks like this problem is Telus-specific. If so, I think you people need to speak to Telus about it first. Did 1REDRUM call Telus yet? Are any of you experiencing the issue 1REDRUM noted where the POP3 password wasn't saving? Could that be the source of the problem?
    03-01-13 11:49 AM
    I'm having the same issue with SMTP. Do you have a decent resource I can use to figure out how to use and outlook.com account to get my mail working somewhat properly? Would I have to log into my BellAliant Webmail to forward msgs to the Outlook address?
    I don't have a decent resource I just sort of figured it out by reading different posts and logging into outlook.com. But here is the just of it...

You do not need to forward your email to outlook.com you create an account (really it is just a hotmail account with a fancy name) at outlook.com. This actually gives you a @live.com email address. Log into your new account and go to settings and then to more email settings and ADD AN Account. You will name the account and enter in the POP settings and your username and password.

You should now see your Bell email in the outlook.com account.

On your Z10 go to accounts and add an account. You should simply be able to add it by entering in the username and password for the outlook.com email account.

So doing it this way skips the SMTP outgoing issue because outlook.com sends your email "on behalf" of your Bell account.

In outlook.com make sure to set it up so all replys to your email go to your Bell account. I did this so that my customers were not confussed when they were responding to me and an email address came up that was not the one on my business card.

Hope this helps...there are many threads on here that cover this setup as well.
    Last edited by wingman1970; 03-01-13 at 12:01 PM. Reason: edited due to BAD spelling
    03-01-13 11:59 AM
    Can I ask what SMTP servers wingman1970 and UncleMiltie are using? Is UncleMiltie also on Telus? (Sounds like he's on Bell?)

Because so far it looks like this problem is Telus-specific. If so, I think you people need to speak to Telus about it first. Did 1REDRUM call Telus yet? Are any of you experiencing the issue 1REDRUM noted where the POP3 password wasn't saving? Could that be the source of the problem?
    SMPT server is smtp.nationalsalesinc.com . Like I said this all works on my PB.
    03-01-13 12:22 PM
    Hey guys,

We're dealing with this at our location as well. I'm wondering if its port specific. Is everyone that is having the problem sending using a port number that is not 25? We use 587, so I wonder if its some form of firewall issue with the phone after the update. I know the request makes it to the server (have access to the log files) but perhaps the response never gets back to the mail app on the phone? At first I thought it was due to the phone using CRAM-MD5 for the SMTP AUTH, but looks like it was doing that previous to the update as well.

Matt
    03-01-13 01:24 PM
    We use Bell Aliant for webhosting/email accounts and Telus Mobility for phones. Spoke to the local Telus rep and was advised to use smtp.telus.net. He then told me to enter multiple smtp addresses like he does on his iPhone. I figured out after that BB10 doesn't allow for this yet.
    03-01-13 01:40 PM
    SMPT server is smtp.nationalsalesinc.com . Like I said this all works on my PB.
    Verified that host is accessible and answering incoming SMTP session initiation connections from here too.

Is it possible that this build of BB10 is "forgetting" or not saving your SMTP password as 1REDRUM described in the first post here?

Has anyone discussed this with Telus yet?
    03-01-13 01:42 PM
    I don't think this is a Telus issue unless its a problem just with their build of the update. In our testing we aren't touching the Telus network at all. I don't think its a matter of forgetting the password as the mail logs show an initial successful login for the mail submission, and not a password fail.

Matt
    rimshot 1 likes this.
    03-01-13 01:55 PM
    I had to change my SMTP to smtp.telus.net and turn off wifi and they went out earlier today. The first problem with this was why should I have to keep switching off WIFI just to send emails? Since about 1:30 / 2:00 even the smtp.telus.net has now stopped working. This is a joke and I could care less who the issue is with but if it continues I will return the phone and go back to my 9800 until I either decide to switch to another hardware company...or the problem is fixed. I cannot live with emails that do not work.

I do have an Outlook.com account that I set up only to synch calendar etc. but should I really have to resort to this?
    03-01-13 02:07 PM
    I don't think this is a Telus issue unless its a problem just with their build of the update. In our testing we aren't touching the Telus network at all. I don't think its a matter of forgetting the password as the mail logs show an initial successful login for the mail submission, and not a password fail.

Matt
    Which log are you referring to - do you control the mail server?

So below is an almost identical transcript of a session I just initiated with the telus server. Where in this process is the transaction failing?

Code:
    Connected to smtp.svc.telus.net.
    Escape character is '^' .
    220 edtncm03 bizsmtp ESMTP server ready
    EHLO [client hostname]
    250-edtncm03 hello [client hostname], pleased to meet you
    250-HELP
    250-SIZE 30000000
    250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
    250-8BITMIME
    250 OK
    mail from:[testaccount@testdomain]
    250 2.1.0 <[testaccount@testdomain]> sender ok
    rcpt to:[email protected]
    250 2.1.5 <[email protected]> recipient ok
    data
    354 enter mail, end with "." on a line by iteself
    test test test test test
    250 2.0.0 6394dfdjfdlkjsdf034983sdlrkua mail accepted for delivery
    quit
    221 2.0.0 edtncm03 bizsmtp closing connection
    03-01-13 02:08 PM
    Verified that host is accessible and answering incoming SMTP session initiation connections from here too.

Is it possible that this build of BB10 is "forgetting" or not saving your SMTP password as 1REDRUM described in the first post here?

Has anyone discussed this with Telus yet?
    The tech guy I spoke to at Telus said it happens to all phones even Apple etc. sometimes and the only thing to do is to turn off wifi as the wifi is the issue. Well...sounds strange to me as while I did get it to work the smtp.telus.net is no longer sending the emails.

I am with Network Solutions as well for my pop / smtp email so not sure if this has anything to do with it?
    03-01-13 02:12 PM
    Well....I fired up my 9800 Torch.....actually liked the way it felt...email went out no problem.....do I really need to switch back? That was through wifi as I did not do a decice switch yet.
    03-01-13 02:22 PM
    I had this problem with my hosting email too. it wouldn't send out and everytime i edit the account it would say not connected.

to save the problem i had to use my shaw smtp mail server for outgoing email.
    03-01-13 02:27 PM
    The tech guy I spoke to at Telus said it happens to all phones even Apple etc. sometimes and the only thing to do is to turn off wifi as the wifi is the issue.
    The answer the Telus rep gave you was pretty much a non-answer the way I see it. I would have personally asked to be escalated to 2nd-tier and someone who could give an actual answer.

"It just fails sometimes". Ugh.

The thing is, some of you seem to be using the carrier's SMTP server, some external. If it were just one or the other it would be easier to lay blame somewhere.

I wonder where we get someone from Blackberry on the horn and submit this as a possible regression bug at this point..
    mtbdave likes this.
    03-01-13 02:33 PM
333 123 ...