Can someone explain 1) why unlocking a Z10 is so much more expensive than unlocking the earlierBBs, 2) why it cannot be done by AT&T (that's what they told me--they would unlock it if they could, and have unlocked all my other BBS without any resistance), and 3) what is it that the paid unlockers, usually charging around $39, have special access to that no one else has, and how did they get it?

IOW, what would I have to do if I wanted to charge for unlocking others' Z10s? (I don't).

I just don't understand the process.
    12-05-13 12:08 PM
    I was able to get my Z10 unlocked via AT&T. Called them up, and asked for the code, and since I had bought it out right, they gave it to me. This was in the summer.

As for how people get unlock codes, have no clue. Wondering myself.
    12-05-13 12:11 PM
    I was able to get my Z10 unlocked via AT&T. Called them up, and asked for the code, and since I had bought it out right, they gave it to me. This was in the summer.

As for how people get unlock codes, have no clue. Wondering myself.
    Very interesting about AT&T. I've even tried their free website unlock and it says that mine can't be done. I'll have to call them again.

But the question remains as to what is so difficult with the Z10 and maybe other os10 devices as compared with the earlier models.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-13 12:23 PM
    If you're with O2 it's free to have it unlocked
    12-05-13 12:45 PM
    I don't think it is difficult. T-mo gave me my code though the phone was not paid off. But have been with them for 9 years, I think the problem is carrier policy. FWIW,
    12-05-13 01:01 PM
    I got my unlocking code from T-Mobile (the carrier) immediately on request for my Z-10. No problem at all.

AT&T is screwing with you, which is usual for them.
    12-05-13 01:22 PM
    Was ask to pay �20 from T-Mobile UK

There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
    12-05-13 01:30 PM
    I just called AT&T a few minutes ago and asked for the ways (or code) to unlock my Q10. No matter that I explained that I have been with this company for more than 30 years and that all my other services are with them, that I have always paid on time, that i have had several BlackBerries with them, etc... the answer from the person (very helpful, very honest, very friendly) was that up to a few months ago, they would have been able to help me with my request, but lately the "policy" of AT&T had changed and they will NOT unlock any phone unless my two-year contract had expired. And that was not only with my BlackBerry Q10, but for any other phone bought through them under contract.
    This person personally suggested that I went to another third company and had my cell phone unlocked, that it could be easily done, but not with AT&T. That in the past they had had access to the codes, but that at the present they (the employees) did not have it (or what is the same, they could not supply it!)
    I believe that this stupid, abusive and rigid policy will mark my end with these people and that next year, the moment my contract expires I will send them straight back to the same hell they inhabit! I will search for any other company that has more respect with their clients.
    12-05-13 01:33 PM
    I just called AT&T a few minutes ago and asked for the ways (or code) to unlock my Q10. No matter that I explained that I have been with this company for more than 30 years and that all my other services are with them, that I have always paid on time, that i have had several BlackBerries with them, etc... the answer from the person (very helpful, very honest, very friendly) was that up to a few months ago, they would have been able to help me with my request, but lately the "policy" of AT&T had changed and they will NOT unlock any phone unless my two-year contract had expired. And that was not only with my BlackBerry Q10, but for any other phone bought through them under contract.
    This person personally suggested that I went to another third company and had my cell phone unlocked, that i could be done, but not with AT&T.
    I believe that this stupid, abusive and rigid policy will mark my end with these people and that next year, the moment my contract expires I will send them straight back to the same hell they habit! I will search for any other company that has more respect with their clients.
    My experience with AT&T has been that their agents often don't know the answer, or give conflicting answers. I recall that with my 9810 one agent said he couldn't unlock it and the same day another one unlocked it for me, no charge, no problem.

As I said in the OP, AT&T even has a functioning website for unlocking their phones, and the site stated that this phone could not be unlocked. Maybe it determined from the IMIE number that I had time remaining on the contract, I don't know.

I still would like to know the unlock process, how the professional unlockers get their codes, and why it costs $39 for an OS 10 phone and only $6 or so for other phones? Is it just a major what the market will bear? If so, you'd think that competition would drive down the price.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-13 01:46 PM
    Yup...once your 2 year contract is up, AT&T will assist with unlocking your BlackBerry...they unlocked my BB 9900 when I upgraded to my Q10. The codes are available from vendors for a fee if you need to have your current device unlocked...yes it sucks to have to pay, but I'm not aware of any other provider assisting with unlocking your device while you are under contract...I could be wrong, but that's my understanding. When ShopBlackBerry offered the unlocked Z10 last weekend for $199.00 I jumped all over that deal.

Bob
    12-05-13 01:50 PM
    Here's an update:

I called AT&T and they directed me to the website, https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=gx7PPeyl. When I put my Z10 IMEI number in, before I identify myself in any other way, it says, "Currently, this phone cannot be unlocked." (I bought it from BestBuy in April, so it isn't listed as stolen.)

After about 20 minuted of back and forth from the very courteous AT&T rep with her tech support people, she established a case with an ID, said it would be escalated, and that I should hear something by Dec 13th.

This did not sound like any sort of runaround on AT&T's part, and had nothing to do with my contract. I suppose it's possible that the IMEI number tells them that the phone is less than 2 years old--any OS10 phone would be less than a year old by definition--but I have the feeling that this is a technical issue. Not that I would make any apologies for AT&T, of course, but in this case I don't think it has anything to do with policy, per se.

Since the fee-for-service unlockers out there seem to be able to unlock the Z10s, it's still a mystery to me how they get the unlock codes and why AT&T doesn't have them.
    12-05-13 06:03 PM
    Here's an update:

I called AT&T and they directed me to the website, https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=ru22dHmx. When I put my Z10 IMEI number in, before I identify myself in any other way, it says, "Currently, this phone cannot be unlocked." (I bought it from BestBuy in April, so it isn't listed as stolen.)

After about 20 minuted of back and forth from the very courteous AT&T rep with her tech support people, she established a case with an ID, said it would be escalated, and that I should hear something by Dec 13th.

This did not sound like any sort of runaround on AT&T's part, and had nothing to do with my contract. I suppose it's possible that the IMEI number tells them that the phone is less than 2 years old--any OS10 phone would be less than a year old by definition--but I have the feeling that this is a technical issue. Not that I would make any apologies for AT&T, of course, but in this case I don't think it has anything to do with policy, per se.

Since the fee-for-service unlockers out there seem to be able to unlock the Z10s, it's still a mystery to me how they get the unlock codes and why AT&T doesn't have them.

Unless you paid outright for the device at best buy they won't unlock the phone. If an imei is ineligible for unlocking due to the contract not yet being fullfiled or contractual agreements they might have with a manufacturer, the system they use to render an unlock code will not release it.

AT&T Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1791
    12-06-13 01:49 AM
    Unless you paid outright for the device at best buy they won't unlock the phone. If an imei is ineligible for unlocking due to the contract not yet being fullfiled or contractual agreements they might have with a manufacturer, the system they use to render an unlock code will not release it.

OK--makes sense, and we'll see if AT&T ends up unlocking my Z10. I'll let everyone know.

But if the unlock codes aren't released by the manufacturer, then how do the independent unlockers, the ones who charge $39, get the codes? Is it from insiders at the companies, in other words, leaked proprietary information, or do they hack or figure out the codes somehow? And if the latter, what kind of program do they have to figure them out, or do they write it themselves? What are they privy to, in other words?

Posted via CB10
    12-06-13 09:43 AM

OK, all you cynics and AT&T bashers (of which I have been one, on occasion), here's the response from AT&T, sanitized as to the unlock codes and IMEI number:

--------------------

Thank you for contacting AT&T Customer Care about unlocking your AT&T Mobile device.

CASE: CM20131205_xxxxxxxx
    MOBILE: 312xxxxxxx
    IMEI: 352922xxxxxxxxx
    UNLOCK CODE: 823913xxxxxxxxx

We have reviewed your request and confirmed that the device may be unlocked.
    Please allow 24 hours upon receipt of this notification to complete the unlock process.

To unlock your device, simply:

Unlock Instruction for Blackberry Z10:
    1) Insert a non accepted simcard into the phone (any simcard that is not from the original phone carrier). Power on phone.
    [And the usual instructions about entering code]

-----------------------

I am a contracted AT&T customer with 17 months to go on my contract based on when I bought the Z10 from BestBuy.

I guess they're not so evil, after all. :-)
    12-07-13 12:14 PM
    U got lucky in the call center u reached as well as agent. Trust me I used to be one

12-07-13 01:14 PM
    [QUOTE=Zmain
    Was ask to pay �20 from T-Mobile UK.

There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.[/QUOTE]

There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
    12-07-13 01:34 PM
    U got lucky in the call center u reached as well as agent. Trust me I used to be one

Yes, I would say 80% luck and 20% persistence on my part--I generally don't take "no" for an answer if there's any possibility of getting what I want. I kept saying that there had to be a way, and finally the agent escalated the problem, I think to get rid of me.

Posted via CB10
    12-07-13 02:01 PM
    I paid �20 to Vodafone to unlock my Z10.

Posted via CB10
    12-07-13 02:34 PM
    Can anyone explain what has just happened with the text in my 1st post. Made from my Z10?

Posted via CB10
    12-07-13 02:37 PM
    Can anyone explain what has just happened with the text in my 1st post. Made from my Z10?

Posted via CB10
    U used a special character of sorts like the trademark sign or copyright symbol. Idk why cb10 renders it like this.

12-07-13 02:41 PM
    BlackBerry� has the r symbol and it will jumble it up.
    Unlocking Z10-img_20132193.png

12-07-13 02:42 PM
    Thanks curvezz, I used the pound symbol, so that's what caused it. I have learned something new today.

Posted via CB10
    12-07-13 04:12 PM
    Thanks curvezz, I used the pound symbol, so that's what caused it. I have learned something new today.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah apparently you can't hash tag anything either :shrugs:

12-07-13 05:13 PM
    I just unlocked my Z10 for $11.90!! I tried filling out the AT&T form and it said "NOT at this time" I will assume that it was because I have only had my Z10 for 9 months. I went to this website that said "FREE" unlocking. It actually isn't FREE, I had to choose an offer; I was going to Join "Angies' List" consumer reviews anyway, so it was a win win for me!!!

The website estimated time of code delivery was 6-12 hours. I received it within 17 hours...NOT bad at all My phone is unlocked now!! I also ordered a Rogers sim card from Ebay for $6.00, so I can receive timely updates when they are released and NOT have to wait for ATT, which is STILL on 10.1

P.s. There are other offers to choose from.

https://www.freeunlocks.com/
    12-07-13 05:26 PM
    I just unlocked my Z10 for $11.90!! I tried filling out the AT&T form and it said "NOT at this time" I will assume that it was because I have only had my Z10 for 9 months. I went to this website that said "FREE" unlocking. It actually isn't FREE, I had to choose an offer; I was going to Join "Angies' List" consumer reviews anyway, so it was a win win for me!!!

The website estimated time of code delivery was 6-12 hours. I received it within 17 hours...NOT bad at all My phone is unlocked now!! I also ordered a Rogers sim card from Ebay for $6.00, so I can receive timely updates when they are released and NOT have to wait for ATT, which is STILL on 10.1

P.s. There are other offers to choose from.

https://www.freeunlocks.com/
    My unlock code from AT&T was free, but the instructions say it will only work when I insert some other non-AT&T SIM card, presumably when I go to another country, as I told them I was going to be doing.

It sounds as though your unlock worked without inserting another SIM card, or maybe just taking the AT&T SIM card out. Is that correct?

I may buy a Rogers card, too, to get the updates, although you can get and install the official updates (not leaks) using Sachesi once any carrier in the world releases them.
    12-07-13 05:35 PM
36 12