Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    Bought a locked Z10 from a reputable vendor and came with a clean IMEI.

AT&T's online unlocking service will not recognize the IMEI though. Might be a website problem, might not.

Anyway, went through one unlocking service and the unlock code did not work. I made several mistakes. One, I did not video the phone's IMEI number and then me entering the unlock code into the phone. I also entered it twice. I checked both times and the second time, I checked the unlock code reading it backwards too. That is an old spell checking trick.

I ask about the problem and was told to try the first 8 numbers. Didn't work. Another try gone. I have since read that AT&T unlock codes are 16 digits and not 8. Keep that in mind.

The unlocking service I used was helpful but per their rules, they need a video of the code not working. I get that. I am eating the fee as I do not want to waste another try just to get a $35 refund. I found them on CB. Trying another one now but asking first if I can send them the old code and see what they say.

So, bottom line, video your IMEI number and entering the unlock code. Show it clearly in the video. If it doesn't work the first try, contact the vendor and ask for a refund.
    Last edited by hnspanama; 01-05-15 at 02:11 PM.
    gokulesh likes this.
    01-05-15 08:33 AM
    good advice. Hope you get it straightened out!
    01-05-15 10:36 AM
    I purchased my Z10 from Bell Mobility Canada in February of 2013.
    Last year I was going for a trip down the West Coast to San Diego and wanted to unlock my phone to use a US carrier. Called Bell to unlock my phone, long story short - they never unlocked my phone.
    I have 3 attempts left and received a refund from Bell.

But I heard www.cellunlocker.net can unlock stubborn BlackBerry phones. Several others have used them - they were in the same situation, and today they have unlocked phones!

Post via my BlackBerry  Z30!
    01-05-15 11:14 AM
    Thanks.

I would also advise you get the video proof instructions for your device before you attempt any unlocking. Some devices have certain aspects the provider will want to see, so ask first.
    01-05-15 04:05 PM
    I used cellunlocker.net. Worked well.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-15 05:11 PM
    I unlocked mine without a hitch!

Posted via CB10
    01-06-15 01:49 PM
    Okay John, please share where you unlocked it and if you have an AT&T Z10.
    01-06-15 04:04 PM
    By the way, it is very frustrating having the Z10 in hand and not being able to use it. My wife had one before it died and she received a Q10 from her employer. We both love the Hub! So needing this upgrade.
    01-06-15 04:11 PM
    Had used freemyblackberry.com in the past.

Before ordering , emailed them with questions about the process.
    Also asked them if they had any problems with unlocking to my carrier.
    Was assured that everything was ok , so I ordered.

Everything went well on my first try !

You should explain what problems you encountered.
    If you feel confident with their replies , then give them a try !

Good luck !
    01-06-15 08:08 PM
    Cellunlocker.net is the service I am using now. So far, they've bent over backwards in terms of answering my now more educated questions. A couple of items of note. Their video instructions say that you must turn all radios off and show it in the video. I am not certain I did that the first time around. Next, after ordering but before I received their code, I sent them the unlock code that did not work. They said if the same code is generated, do not try it without going through their troubleshooting process. I quite agree. The code was the same. With that, they said do a complete reinstall of the operating system using BB Link but do not enter the code yet.. Now awaiting their next steps.

So far, I am quite satisfied they are doing their best to assist with this more difficult unlocking. That is where the "Good Customer Service" is really earned. The tough ones.
    01-07-15 06:13 AM
    I used a guy of EBay, cost me 17gbp to unlock my z10,

Was given a 16 digit number if that never unlocked, use the first 8 numbers which unlocked it,

Posted via CB10
    01-07-15 08:17 AM
    Got this from an unlock company:

"Blackberry Unlocking Code

AT&T/Cingular = Unlocking Code Must be 16 digits.
    Bell Mobility = Unlocking Code can be 8 or 16 digits (Some Phone Model require both Unlocking Code & Service Provider Code).
    Fido = Unlocking Code Must be 8 digits.
    Mobilicity = Unlocking Code Must be 8 digits.
    Rogers = Unlocking Code Must be 8 digits.
    Telus Mobility = Unlocking Code can be 8 or 16 digits (Some Phone Model require both Unlocking Code & Service Provider Code).
    T-Mobile UK = Unlocking Code can be 8 or 16 digits.
    T-Mobile USA = Unlocking Code Must be 16 digits.
    Verizon 9530 = Unlocking Code MUST be 16 digits.
    Verizon 8830, 9550, 9630, 9650 = Unlocking Code MUST be 8 digits.
    Virgin Mobile Canada = Unlocking Code Must be 8 digits.
    Sprint = Unlocking Code Must be 16 digits."
    01-07-15 11:38 AM
    Okay John, please share where you unlocked it and if you have an AT&T Z10.
    I'm not John but I have an AT&T Z10 that freemyblackberry unlocked for $30 USD, worked like a champ. AT&T should have unlocked it but wouldn't; I made a thread about that not too long ago.

In all other respects I've been very happy with AT&T for many, many years, but I can not recommend buying BB devices from them as they seem to seriously drop the ball when it comes to allowing you to remove your purchased property from their stranglehold.

Richard
    01-07-15 11:51 AM
    Make sure you not only video the IMEI and your attempt to unlock, but also show your OS and software version from the about screen in the video. I got burned by that one and it cost me a try
    01-07-15 03:21 PM
    Good point amnesia.

Happy to report that the phone unlocked and am now enjoying my Z10. The Hub is my friend :-)

Here are some other notes:

Do a complete wipe using Live. Then, install the new chip and reboot the device. Make certain no radios are on. Enter unlock code. That is what worked for me.

Thanks to the Cellunlocker.net team for taking me through this. It was worth the wait.
    01-08-15 10:40 AM
    Good point amnesia.

Happy to report that the phone unlocked and am now enjoying my Z10. The Hub is my friend :-)

Here are some other notes:

Do a complete wipe using Live. Then, install the new chip and reboot the device. Make certain no radios are on. Enter unlock code. That is what worked for me.

Thanks to the Cellunlocker.net team for taking me through this. It was worth the wait.
    Glad it worked out for you !

Did they provide another code ?
    Was 16 digit or 8 ?
    01-08-15 12:56 PM
    They sent the same code that didn't work the first time. They took me through their trouble shooting process and it worked.

16 digits.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-15 02:29 PM
    They sent the same code that didn't work the first time. They took me through their trouble shooting process and it worked.

16 digits.

Posted via CB10
    So It was either the "wipe", or having your radio turned off that made the difference? Which software/OS do you have on your phone? Mine is 10.2.1.3014. Some say the software is the problem, but I doubt that a "wipe" would have changed your software
    01-08-15 02:53 PM
    I had an older version. When I wiped it and Live updated to the latest , 3014.

Do, the wipe and the update plus no radios were the variables.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-15 10:19 AM
    I have it on good authority that AT&T has "altered" the Blackberry MEP codes on some (but not all) Q10's. This is why the codes from the unlockers (which are the original codes from Blackberry's database) don't work. The leaves the only option to get the code from the Unlock dept at AT&T - which is never gonna happen!
    01-09-15 10:38 AM
    Interesting.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-15 05:30 PM
    Wow, you do realise this thread is 4 years old.
    03-26-19 02:03 PM