Hi Folks,

A few months ago I won a Blackberry Z10 at a BES conference. The prize was directly from RIM and was an unlocked phone. I decided to use it for training purposes so I popped in a SIM for one of our corporate Rogers accounts and used the phone on the Rogers network for a few months. I have since purchased a Nexus 4 so I took the SIM from the Z10 and put it into my Nexus 4 without issue.

I found a buyer for the Z10 but when we tried putting in his SIM card from his MTS the phone it said that it was MEP locked. I tried this with two other cards from MTS I got the same message. I contacted Rogers to ask if their SIM card had locked my phone to their network and they said no, that it was impossible. So I thought the issue might have to do with the SIM cards I tried belonging to an iPhone account. I went with the buyer to MTS, his carrier, and when he put in his brand new SIM card we got the same thing, MEP locked.

What I'm trying to figure out is how is this phone MEP locked if it's an unlocked phone and Rogers has no record of the IEMI on their network. I can't even use an unlock service because I don't know what carrier I'm supposed to choose. So far the responses from MTS and Rogers are, "We can't help you."

Is there a service that can detect the MEP?
    05-28-13 09:57 AM
    Hi Folks,

A few months ago I won a Blackberry Z10 at a BES conference. The prize was directly from RIM and was an unlocked phone. I decided to use it for training purposes so I popped in a SIM for one of our corporate Rogers accounts and used the phone on the Rogers network for a few months. I have since purchased a Nexus 4 so I took the SIM from the Z10 and put it into my Nexus 4 without issue.

I found a buyer for the Z10 but when we tried putting in his SIM card from his MTS the phone it said that it was MEP locked. I tried this with two other cards from MTS I got the same message. I contacted Rogers to ask if their SIM card had locked my phone to their network and they said no, that it was impossible. So I thought the issue might have to do with the SIM cards I tried belonging to an iPhone account. I went with the buyer to MTS, his carrier, and when he put in his brand new SIM card we got the same thing, MEP locked.

What I'm trying to figure out is how is this phone MEP locked if it's an unlocked phone and Rogers has no record of the IEMI on their network. I can't even use an unlock service because I don't know what carrier I'm supposed to choose. So far the responses from MTS and Rogers are, "We can't help you."

Is there a service that can detect the MEP?
    Are you positive they gave you a unlocked phone? They usually hand out a device belonging to that network that you said you are on. So they gave you a unlocked/unactivated Rogers Z10, but as soon as you poped in your SIM and registered the device it more than likely locked the device.
    05-28-13 10:18 AM
    That's the thing, I asked Rogers about it and they said that my phone is registered on their network as an unlocked device. I might just call them back and ask for an unlock code just to see if it IS locked to their network. They charge $50 to unlock but if their SIM locked my phone to their network then one would assume that charge would be waived. I mean, what's the point of buying unlocked devices if a SIM card is going to lock that device to their network anyway?
    05-28-13 10:24 AM
    That's the thing, I asked Rogers about it and they said that my phone is registered on their network as an unlocked device. I might just call them back and ask for an unlock code just to see if it IS locked to their network. They charge $50 to unlock but if their SIM locked my phone to their network then one would assume that charge would be waived. I mean, what's the point of buying unlocked devices if a SIM card is going to lock that device to their network anyway?
    It could have been a glitch in their system these new BlackBerry devices are tricky ones when it comes to the whole MEP thing

Posted via CB10
    05-28-13 11:08 AM
    What does the phone say? Go into your settings and see if it's locked or not.
    01-09-14 06:27 AM