Hope the community can come to the rescue.

So here's the story --I bought a used Z10 from a sales guy from Telus. The phone is locked and I need to use it with Wind I have gone to numerous unlocking companies and none of them can unlock the bloody phone because Telus does not have the MEP code in their database. I called Telus and they confirm it's not in their database, therefore I decided to called BlackBerry and they told me there is nothing they can do as the carrier is the one that locks the phone and I have to resolve it with them. Telus won't escalate it because I don't have an account.

I am now at the end of my rope. This shouldn't be so complicated and it has me reconsidering why I should continue to be loyal to BlackBerry. I know that the conventional thought would be it's Telus' fault and no liability is on BB. I don't see it that way. BB is perhaps just as much at fault for not being able to help facilitate a viable solution when they have a relationship with the carrier and I don't.

This is the business and loyalty I have shown and brought to BB through the years:

Me: 8700 > 8100 > 9000 > 9700 > 9780 > 9900 > Z10 and PlayBook
    Wife: 8630 > 9700 > 9810 > 9900 and Playbook
    Brother: 8130 > 8520 and Playbook
    Father in law: PlayBook
    Mother: Playbook

Honest, BB should take care of situations like this because (not trying to toot my horn) they should be working and also be very concerned about loosing people like me who have been loyal plus in many ways I have been an ambassador to their brand.

Hopefully the CB community can save the day!

Thanks for responses in advance.
    Last edited by gwanstarr; 04-16-13 at 02:56 PM. Reason: noticed a typo
    04-16-13 11:54 AM
    No. It's all on telus.

U bought a Used phone from a telus store and they are responsible.

It's similar to buying a used car from an independent car lot and then blaming gm for not fixing the door locks.

Either way a ****ty situation that can only be resolved by telus.. perhaps return the phone if they are unable to fix it for u. Or activate as a pay as u go and use telus?

Posted via CB10
    irweezyy likes this.
    04-16-13 11:58 AM
    have you tried the crackberry side for unlock code they were advertising that last month or so
    04-16-13 12:02 PM
    Call Telus CS and ask for unlocking and say you're willing to pay the $50 fee...you'll get xfered to an technician who does unlocking, once they can't find the code get them to contact BB to get it...this is how I unlocked my Rogers Z10 that I bought from Costco...no unlocking services or Rogers had the unlock code, they had to contact BBRY directly to get the code. Hope that helps.
    04-16-13 12:09 PM
    No. It's all on telus.

U bought a Used phone from a telus store and they are responsible.
    Question: if this was Apple, would they promptly resolve my issue, or give me the run around like BB did?
    04-16-13 12:10 PM
    Call Telus CS and ask for unlocking and say you're willing to pay the $50 fee...you'll get xfered to an technician who does unlocking, once they can't find the code get them to contact BB to get it...this is how I unlocked my Rogers Z10 that I bought from Costco...no unlocking services or Rogers had the unlock code, they had to contact BBRY directly to get the code. Hope that helps.
    Telus does not have the code in their database so even if I wanted to pay for it does not solve the problem. Also, BBRY was not at ALL helpful and washed their hands of it saying there is absolutely nothing they can do either.
    04-16-13 12:13 PM
    Question: if this was Apple, would they promptly resolve my issue, or give me the run around like BB did?
    Apple could not help you. It's the carrier that locks the phone.
    04-16-13 12:14 PM
    Apple is a bad example, seeing how they wouldn't allow any unlocking of their devices at all for the longest time. But to answer your question, yes they would point you right back to the carrier.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 12:16 PM
    Apple would tell you to call the carrier

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 12:17 PM
    Why don't you use a third party site like the Crackberry.com site for the unlock?

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 12:18 PM
    if it's mep locked, you're sol but network lock any online place can do it.

I got mine done for 30 tax in (Bell/Virgin) z10 on line retailer, got unlock code in less then 24hrs.

shoot me a pm if you want the link
    gwanstarr likes this.
    04-16-13 12:19 PM
    Apple could not help you. It's the carrier that locks the phone.
    The OP seems to be asking about Apple's customer service reputation. As far as that goes, I once took a brief foray into iPhone territory and was immediately chased back to RIM. They'd force you to make an appointment with one of the Geniuses before even considering a resolution. Only after you wasted far too much time with that nonsense, then they'd let you know that they couldn't help.

Or at least that's how it worked for me.
    04-16-13 12:20 PM
    Doesn't Telus by law have to unlock the phone according to Bill C-343?

DUTY OF PROVIDER

3. It is prohibited for a provider to sell a
    cellular telephone to a consumer unless the
    provider first informs the consumer whether the
    network access of the telephone is restricted by
    a network lock to the wireless service network
    of the provider

4. If a consumer purchases a cellular telephone from a provider at a discounted price as a
    condition of entering into a service contract for
    the telephone with the provider, the provider
    must, on the request of the consumer at any time
    after the service contract has expired, remove
    free of charge any network lock that has been
    applied to the telephone.

5. If a consumer purchases a cellular telephone from a provider without entering into a
    service contract of at least six months in
    duration with the provider or if the consumer
    pays the total cost of the telephone handset
    before taking possession of it, the provider
    after the purchase, remove free of charge any
    network lock that has been applied to the telephone.
    John Pawling likes this.
    04-16-13 12:22 PM
    Have you tried: CrackBerry Unlock \ CrackBerryUnlocking.com ? BlackBerry Unlock codes, BlackBerry Unlocking, Unlock BlackBerry 10

A friend of mine won a Telus device, and it took about 4 weeks for him to get it unlocked via Telus. So, that means it CAN be done...
    04-16-13 12:32 PM
    I would go back to the Telus store and sales associate who sold you the phone and have them unlock it. BlackBerry has nothing to do with unlocking phones.

Posted via CB10
    John Pawling likes this.
    04-16-13 12:33 PM
    OP those terms and conditions do not apply to you. That only applies to original purchaser.
    04-16-13 12:34 PM
    This is a "carrier" issue...so in this case, Telus. Why did you buy a locked Telus z10, if you want to use it on Wind's network, when Wind has the z10 as well? Or did you buy this when the z10 first came out?

Blackberry (or Apple, in your other scenario), would not be able to do anything.
    04-16-13 12:35 PM
    Doesn't Telus by law have to unlock the phone according to Bill C-343?

DUTY OF PROVIDER

3. It is prohibited for a provider to sell a
    cellular telephone to a consumer unless the
    provider first informs the consumer whether the
    network access of the telephone is restricted by
    a network lock to the wireless service network
    of the provider

4. If a consumer purchases a cellular telephone from a provider at a discounted price as a
    condition of entering into a service contract for
    the telephone with the provider, the provider
    after the service contract has expired, remove
    free of charge any network lock that has been
    applied to the telephone.

5. If a consumer purchases a cellular telephone from a provider without entering into a
    service contract of at least six months in
    duration with the provider or if the consumer
    pays the total cost of the telephone handset
    before taking possession of it, the provider
    after the purchase, remove free of charge any
    network lock that has been applied to the telephone.
    Thanks! This is very helpful!

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 12:37 PM
    The story is getting juicy as I dig. Finally I got a Telus guy to get me more details on the phone. Apparently, this is a "pre-release" phone and should have never been sold. According to the techs at Telus, this phone isn't even compatible with their network. The guy that sold me the phone is potentially in a big pile of doggie doo.
    04-16-13 12:38 PM
    Yea terrible Apple example see as they constantly void warranties for any changes to their phones.... Also, if you live a city without a Apple store, and there are many, you are SOL... Anyways, use the 3rd party unlocking sites like crackberryunlocking. I had to do the blackberry code as Rogers did not have my code either... Honestly tho, I have to ask, why didnt you just buy an unlocked device to begin with.. woulda saved a lot of trouble .
    04-16-13 12:40 PM
    Thanks! This is very helpful!

Posted via CB10
    Indeed! Gonna be fun fighting carriers tho. That's why they don't want to sell phones anymore without a contract.

Wouldn't it be illegal for them to charge for unlocking when they must do it for free by-law?

They're all crooks!
    04-16-13 12:41 PM
    OP those terms and conditions do not apply to you. That only applies to original purchaser.
    I bought the phone from a Telus Account Manager. He even gave me his card!
    04-16-13 12:43 PM
    Apple would tell you to buy a $799 factory unlocked iPhone!

04-16-13 12:45 PM
    This is a "carrier" issue...so in this case, Telus. Why did you buy a locked Telus z10, if you want to use it on Wind's network, when Wind has the z10 as well? Or did you buy this when the z10 first came out?

Blackberry (or Apple, in your other scenario), would not be able to do anything.
    Regardless of why I bought this phone, unlocking it and using it as I please should not be so FN complicated. It's maddening!

Would it make a difference if I said I want to unlock it so I can use it when I travel?
    04-16-13 12:45 PM
    ^^^get your money back from that sales guy.
    04-16-13 12:46 PM
41 12