I've been using BlackBerry devices since their first pagers. I got my Z10 when it first came out, and absolutely love it. I generally don't go with the latest leak, but I will adopt official releases before they hit Verizon. I'm on Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1791. So much for background...

After all this time I am still struggling with understanding the interaction that seems to exist between the volume settings. There is the "media" volume and the "notifications" volume. Then there is the "main" volume which seems to totally correspond to the media volume.

Sometimes I can't hear incoming notifications, even phone calls. I check the notification setting and it's ok, at least 50% like I usually have it. But my main volume has been lowered because I previously played a video or music and lowered the media volume. It seems like that lowers the main volume, which in turn affects the notification volume! This doesn't make sense to me. If every time I play music quietly it leaves my notifications so quiet I can't hear them, that's a problem. Can anyone clarify this? Is it something just on my particular OS version?

I would love to see volume settings uncoupled, and have more of them. I like phone calls to be fairly loud, while sms and other messaging apps audible but quiet. I want to be able to adjust Media volume without it affecting anything else! I like the keyboard click sound, but I'd like to set that volume independent of all other settings so it stays consistent.

Have any of these things changed on 10.2.1? I haven't read anything that indicates such... anyone else have these issues? it's one of the only annoying aspects of what I consider a great phone!

Posted via CB10
    01-15-14 01:58 PM
    I've been using BlackBerry devices since their first pagers. I got my Z10 when it first came out, and absolutely love it. I generally don't go with the latest leak, but I will adopt official releases before they hit Verizon. I'm on Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1791. So much for background...

After all this time I am still struggling with understanding the interaction that seems to exist between the volume settings. There is the "media" volume and the "notifications" volume. Then there is the "main" volume which seems to totally correspond to the media volume.

Sometimes I can't hear incoming notifications, even phone calls. I check the notification setting and it's ok, at least 50% like I usually have it. But my main volume has been lowered because I previously played a video or music and lowered the media volume. It seems like that lowers the main volume, which in turn affects the notification volume! This doesn't make sense to me. If every time I play music quietly it leaves my notifications so quiet I can't hear them, that's a problem. Can anyone clarify this? Is it something just on my particular OS version?

I would love to see volume settings uncoupled, and have more of them. I like phone calls to be fairly loud, while sms and other messaging apps audible but quiet. I want to be able to adjust Media volume without it affecting anything else! I like the keyboard click sound, but I'd like to set that volume independent of all other settings so it stays consistent.

Have any of these things changed on 10.2.1? I haven't read anything that indicates such... anyone else have these issues? it's one of the only annoying aspects of what I consider a great phone!

Posted via CB10
    Keyboard, media, and notifications volumes are independently adjustable. But that's where it ends - notifications are a blanket adjustment, there is no fine tuning per app. Referring to volume only.

Understanding BB10 volume-img_20140115_133639.png
    Understanding BB10 volume-img_20140115_133715.png
    Understanding BB10 volume-img_20140115_134126.png
    01-15-14 02:40 PM
    I just tested it and when I turn my media volume down to almost nothing and my notifications up, I get nice loud notifications and very soft music. Seems to work as designed.
    01-15-14 02:55 PM
    Sometimes it does work properly for me as well. And on older releases it seems it always did. But recently it's been weird. I was holding my phone earlier when a call came in and no ring tone was audible. Yet notification volume was at 50%. Just now tried and it seems ok. Very odd.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-14 03:03 PM
    As a workaround - you can find the various notification sounds for download in some places or create your own and you can tweak the volume of the files using something like Audacity (free). I did that for a few notices I wanted louded and added one notification to itself, doubling its length.
    01-15-14 08:31 PM
    It seems I have some other issue, which is probably why I was so confused. Right after setting everything the way I liked and verifying that it worked, all notification sounds and keyboard sounds stopped working! Music played ok, and phone worked. But no alerts, no phone ring tones. Tried various things. Even the volume setting sliders in setup made no noise. Rebooted phone and all was back to normal...

Posted via CB10
    01-15-14 09:29 PM
    There have been sound issues with the SayIt app. If the middle button on the side is pressed, it invokes SayIt but if there is no follow up, it stalls and kills sounds. That may not be your issue.
    01-15-14 11:21 PM