My wife and myself, both previous Blackberry users and appreciators, have had our Z10's (STL100-2) for just a couple of days over two months and haven't smashed them to pieces yet!!! Though at times it's been close... here are some of the issues we are finding as we use them normally day to day I would be interested to hear if anyone else has such problems.

So the first issue for me was the lack of sync for PC based Outlook and has been well covered and it seems things are getting sorted on that issue so i wont go on about that, for the wife it was less of an issue as all she needed was a phone based list of contacts.
    In an effort to keep this short I will bullet point some issues
    * Some apps on the device whether there out of the box or installed afterwards seem to have massive lag or latency problems... showing the spinning wheel for long periods of time, the biggest problem seems to be with something called 'Foursquare' when you can wait up to 30 mins for it to localise and sometimes it never does either way it's impossible to use as intended. Usually requires battery out reboot to make better.
    *The phone appears to suffer periodic schisms when contacts disappear altogether and this usually requires battery out reboot to put right.
    *When texting a contact it will use the contacts name but halfway through a conversation of texts this reverts to a number and then back to a name, this is probably linked to the problem with loss of contacts.
    * On more than one occasion I have sent a text to a contact but the reply has come back with the sender name being different from the actual responder... this has potential for divorce in some cases !!
    * Occasionally (say once daily) when clicking on app Icons, the app then opens and closes immediately, this happens with any icon/app and the device is unusable and requires a battery out reboot to remedy.
    * Device Lock Ups... on one occasion when changing from portrait view to landscape and I got a diagonal screen... very novel alas it did not function and required a battery out reboot to put right... (I can see there's a trend developing here).
    * When using the device the wireless just switches off for no reason or the mobile signal just disappears and shows the Emergency Calls Only message, sometimes during a conversation or usage when I have not moved for quite some time.
    * Device requires as many as 5 - 8 battery out reboots daily.

These problems are not just down to a bad device out of the box, some of the above seem to have got worse since the platform update was installed and both mine and my wife's handsets suffer the same problems at differing times depending on what we do with them. we have reported the problems to our supplier who recommended the update of the software.

On a more positive note the device makes an excellent alarm clock.
    04-06-13 02:00 PM
    Sorry to hear of your issues but ive had my UK Z10 for over a mth and i have yet to see it reboot by itself or any of the issues you seem to be suffering from. Perhaps im lucky in that i got a solid device but as i said i havent suffered from any of the issues you have mentioned above. My Z10 has been rock solid and never skips a beat, no lag in any of the apps i have other than the settings menu and phone app but other than that its smooth and fluid.
    cman5 likes this.
    04-06-13 02:06 PM
    The Z10 without a doubt has several issues that need to be addressed. And like I have said before you know someone from blackberry is reading this post so why don't they respond that they know about the issues so we know they are working on them. I firmly believe there should be a lemon law for electronics to protect the consumer. Granted the launch of the Z10 was no where as bad as the Storm series!
    Ian E likes this.
    04-06-13 02:09 PM
    I've had to pull the battery once in more than two months. I've had nothing in the way of lag in native apps and only experienced minor lag in some Android ports. My contacts have never disappeared.

It's certainly an odd set of problems you and your spouse are both experiencing. If it's not your units, I'd be looking into the ways of usage you both have in common.

Posted via CB10
    cman5 likes this.
    04-06-13 02:55 PM
    Sorry to hear of your issues but ive had my UK Z10 for over a mth and i have yet to see it reboot by itself or any of the issues you seem to be suffering from. Perhaps im lucky in that i got a solid device but as i said i havent suffered from any of the issues you have mentioned above. My Z10 has been rock solid and never skips a beat, no lag in any of the apps i have other than the settings menu and phone app but other than that its smooth and fluid.
    Thanks for the response, good to know that some do work as expected... e have spoken to several others with issues the same as us, especially when we went back to the shop, a couple were returning theirs for another type of handset. We're sticking with it for now in the hope things improve.
    cman5 likes this.
    04-06-13 05:10 PM
    Sad to hear of your issues. I've had my Z10 since Feb. 5 in Canada. I had the issue where BB World wouldn't install apps and had to do a security wipe. Had charging issues (charger not detecting well) up until the first OS upgrade, but since then it has been flawless. Oh, except app downloads through my home wifi seem to be gated at 100kB/s -- seems to be my router and I'm working with support on that. My wife just picked up a Z10 and is having the same success - loves that she came over from her iPhone.

The reports that show up like yours scare me, but I think (hope) are just a minority. No one generally posts when things are going well. Since you have two devices with similar issues, that makes it more bizarre but may be easier to troubleshoot. I would definitely try a security wipe even though you're starting from scratch. It would be nice if BB could supply an integrity check of sorts to check the system (like an overall checksum on static system code at least). Probably tough. Simple fact: it's a mass-produced device running the same hardware and essentially the same software. I think it's safe to say the majority of people don't have issues. You don't live near a radio station or power lines, do you?

Have you gone through BB support directly? CB is great, but the true experts can likely help you better especially when you have repeatable issues like this. They seem quite responsive. Best of luck and it's wicked that you've stuck it out this long. I hope you can get to the Z10 bliss of no battery pulls and essentially flawless operation that the phone is capable of and that so many of us are enjoying!
    cman5 likes this.
    04-06-13 05:24 PM
    I've had to pull the battery once in more than two months. I've had nothing in the way of lag in native apps and only experienced minor lag in some Android ports. My contacts have never disappeared.

It's certainly an odd set of problems you and your spouse are both experiencing. If it's not your units, I'd be looking into the ways of usage you both have in common.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the response... to be fair the wife has the main problems with the contacts disappearing until we pull the battery, I've had that just the once in two months, she suffers the symptom at least twice a week but after the hard boot they come back as normal (they are local contacts and not something which syncs to a cloud based set of contacts).
    I have given up with the foursquare app as I have usually completed the journey before the app has opened even.
    As for our usage, the wife uses the handset for the usual calls, texts and listening to music via the headphones, she is rarely off the handset... and mine is now pretty basic use... I listen to audiobooks whilst on journeys and for some calls. I used to use my Torch 9800 for much more, it used to be the centre of my life both business and social but as I can't sync back to outlook 2003 on the Z10 with contacts, calendar and customer notes etc I have lost much of the business use as I can't and wouldn't want to put sensitive company and client data in the cloud... so for me the Z10 is just performing the functions of an mp3 player and basic phone. It have nicknamed it the Step-back-berry as I feel I have stepped back in time to where it's more useful as a paperweight that a smartphone, but I live in hope that the fix for the outlook problem will reinstate it all but I wont hold my breath.
    04-06-13 05:34 PM
    I have had none of the problems you describe. I'd bet it's a bad device.

Posted via CB10
    Ian E likes this.
    04-06-13 05:41 PM
    Hi. Very sorry about your experience with the Z10. Reading your post, and since you both are having similar problems, I wonder if it is because of additional software from your carrier. If you are both using the same carrier, then I would look at that. I have had no lags in apps. Foursquare works fine for me. I am not using Outlook, always had trouble with it even on my PC. The only time I have seen my battery is when I put the SD card in. You might ask your carrier about problems. ATT adds software to their phones. ATT adds their own version of Bridge to monitor use, and therefore can charge for its use. Just two examples. I have done a restart twice using the screen lock button but only because it was recommended in the forums to, I assume, clear the RAM. Like clearing the Event Log on previous phones. Good luck to you, and the forums is a great place to find answers.
    04-06-13 06:17 PM
    I too am sorry that you have/ are experiencing technical difficulties. I've had my Z10 STL100-3 phone since February 24, not once did I have to pull my battery.
    Foursquare was slow a couple of times at the beginning but improved after an update. The App works well today.

I'm not trying to be a fan boy for BlackBerry and I know others have issues, but I've never experienced any major issues.
    Hoping all works out for you and the wife.

Proudly posted via Z10 on CB10
    cman5 likes this.
    04-06-13 06:36 PM
    My wife and myself, both previous Blackberry users and appreciators, have had our Z10's (STL100-2) for just a couple of days over two months and haven't smashed them to pieces yet!!! Though at times it's been close... here are some of the issues we are finding as we use them normally day to day I would be interested to hear if anyone else has such problems.

So the first issue for me was the lack of sync for PC based Outlook and has been well covered and it seems things are getting sorted on that issue so i wont go on about that, for the wife it was less of an issue as all she needed was a phone based list of contacts.
    In an effort to keep this short I will bullet point some issues
    * Some apps on the device whether there out of the box or installed afterwards seem to have massive lag or latency problems... showing the spinning wheel for long periods of time, the biggest problem seems to be with something called 'Foursquare' when you can wait up to 30 mins for it to localise and sometimes it never does either way it's impossible to use as intended. Usually requires battery out reboot to make better.
    *The phone appears to suffer periodic schisms when contacts disappear altogether and this usually requires battery out reboot to put right.
    *When texting a contact it will use the contacts name but halfway through a conversation of texts this reverts to a number and then back to a name, this is probably linked to the problem with loss of contacts.
    * On more than one occasion I have sent a text to a contact but the reply has come back with the sender name being different from the actual responder... this has potential for divorce in some cases !!
    * Occasionally (say once daily) when clicking on app Icons, the app then opens and closes immediately, this happens with any icon/app and the device is unusable and requires a battery out reboot to remedy.
    * Device Lock Ups... on one occasion when changing from portrait view to landscape and I got a diagonal screen... very novel alas it did not function and required a battery out reboot to put right... (I can see there's a trend developing here).
    * When using the device the wireless just switches off for no reason or the mobile signal just disappears and shows the Emergency Calls Only message, sometimes during a conversation or usage when I have not moved for quite some time.
    * Device requires as many as 5 - 8 battery out reboots daily.

These problems are not just down to a bad device out of the box, some of the above seem to have got worse since the platform update was installed and both mine and my wife's handsets suffer the same problems at differing times depending on what we do with them. we have reported the problems to our supplier who recommended the update of the software.

On a more positive note the device makes an excellent alarm clock.
    Sounds like your device(s) need a backup through BB link, wipe and a clean restore with the latest 0.85 OS update; at least as a start. Have not experienced any of the issues you're having with my z10. Not even close. Before the OS update I did get Nova 3 stuck while installing in BBW and couldn't rid of it... so I wiped it once .. but only once.. it's been solid since the OS update. Had the z10 since Feb 5/13.
    Ian E likes this.
    04-06-13 06:41 PM
    I went through syncing my contacts and calendar using Outlook, HotMail, Live Gmail etc... a completely unstable experience on all those platforms. Then on advice in this forum I set up carddav and caldav support.

I understand you are a legacy BB user but I am lucky enough to be an icloud user, and setting up carddav and caldav straightened all my contact and calendar issues (even in whatsapp) out entirely. It's like a new phone. I urge anyone using icloud to do the same.

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/b...ListHelperImpl
    Ian E likes this.
    04-06-13 06:50 PM
    Maybe it's because you are both married hence the similar problems. Why not try dating someone else with the Z10 and see if similar issues pop up? If these issues come up again with your date then you know for sure that you indirectly have something to do with it.

Posted via CB10 (BB Z10 : BLK)
    cman5 likes this.
    04-06-13 06:52 PM
    Same here. I cannot fault my Z10 at all. No reboots, no freezes, batt min 12 hrs with intermediate to heavy use. Love this phone!!! )

Love My Z10, Posted via Excellent CB10
    04-06-13 07:56 PM
    Thanks to most for their posts and responses by way of update The Last week or so problems have been getting steadily worse and on Friday we both lost the ability to open up the twitter app despite everyone else around us being able to do so on iPhone's, Samsung s and even other model Blackberry's, when trying, all we got was the spinning wheel (which I find now is as welcome as the egg timer was in Windows in the days of Windows 95 / 98 et al) and it refused to do anything else. we tried uninstalling twitter and re-downloading to no avail... So the good lady got onto the carrier (EE) they too have recommended backing up the device and doing a master reset and then restore the backup as they believe we may have corrupted software on the device (with both suffering the same symptoms what are the odds of that I wonder?). They hope that it will solve the issues making the device more usable, they apparently ruled out network issues.

Interestingly we got notifications this morning of a twitter app update and after installing the update twitter is now with us again does make one wonder if there was an uninformed known app issue which this update has fixed?

So as we are now away for a week and have no time left to perform the backup - reset and restore, we'll see how the Z10's perform in another location, whats the worst that can happen, our devices can't get much more troublesome... I really want the Z10 to come good and will persevere for now but it has knocked my faith somewhat.
    cman5 likes this.
    04-14-13 06:38 AM
    The Twitter issue was well publicised, and was fixed last night with an app update from BBRY... http://crackberry.com/twitter-update...berry-10-users
    Ian E likes this.
    04-14-13 06:44 AM
    The Twitter issue was well publicised, and was fixed last night with an app update from BBRY... Twitter update coming today to fix issues for BlackBerry 10 users | CrackBerry.com
    Thanks for that Phill, hadn't seen it as we're away but it's comforting to know they were on it quickly.
    04-14-13 07:06 AM
    ive had my z10 for just over a month and have had very few issues with it although i did buy mine sim free so no third party software on it ie orange o2 tmobile 3 etc just wondering if this makes a difference? still best phone ive ever had and ive had most of em!!!!!
    Ian E likes this.
    04-14-13 07:09 AM
    ive had my z10 for just over a month and have had very few issues with it although i did buy mine sim free so no third party software on it ie orange o2 tmobile 3 etc just wondering if this makes a difference? still best phone ive ever had and ive had most of em!!!!!
    Cheers Chipmiester, I really do want this to work out as currently the Z10 is the worst I've ever suffered since I had a Nokia N something or other which ended up going back and being replaced by my first ever Blackberry. I feel it's possible that the third party software might well be the cause I just have no idea what the answer is yet.
    04-14-13 07:22 AM
    Just a thought, would it make a difference if the contacts are stored on hands or aim card?

I have not had similar issues with contacts disappearing on my 100-2 on Vodafone

Posted via CB10
    04-14-13 07:22 AM
    Wow. Yours is a 3 Sigma case. Look for something that is common between yours and your wife's phone. Same app perhaps - Android ports can be problems.

Also go to support.blackberry.com find the Z10 section and get the tip sheet along with the manual if you have not done this already. Use the restart and reset that is accessible with the button on the top instead of pulling the battery.

Be sure you have the latest OS software for your carrier installed.

It is possible, but less likely that you got units from a bad manufacturing run. If so, get replacement phones.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-13 09:03 AM
    Keep us posted IanE
    04-14-13 06:22 PM
    Wow. Yours is a 3 Sigma case. Look for something that is common between yours and your wife's phone. Same app perhaps - Android ports can be problems.

Also go to support.blackberry.com find the Z10 section and get the tip sheet along with the manual if you have not done this already. Use the restart and reset that is accessible with the button on the top instead of pulling the battery.

Be sure you have the latest OS software for your carrier installed.

It is possible, but less likely that you got units from a bad manufacturing run. If so, get replacement phones.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for your info, our two phones are pretty much identical apart from colour... due to the problems we have not set about too much customisation and downloading other apps etc until we have the ones it came with working...
    We did download the manual etc and updated the OS as soon as we were informed we could do so.

During our time away my wife noticed a big difference in how her device performed and it seemed much slicker and most things worked with minimal delay, mine certainly seemed better but still suffered long periods of the dreaded spinning wheel whilst waiting for apps to load and work as they should... but I did discover one thing in that when it does this for long periods if I check the network connections, often the Mobile network has dropped out to emergency calls only whilst the good lady's Z10 just inches away and on the same network had all bars blazing on the signal... If I disable the network and then re-enable it all goes as it should and the app starts working normally. It would seem that this is the crux of the problem as the whole device seems to function better for a time after performing this disabling and refreshing of the mobile network connection on the device. On checking on the mobile network and refreshing if necessary before using some apps like Maps and Foursquare etc the device is certainly much more usable with less lengthy waits for the apps to open up and start working, obviously it's not ideal to have to check the network each time I want to use the device but at least it prevents considerable frustration. This seems less prevalent on the wifes than mine and is obviously the reason mine seems a little more unreliable than hers at times.

I am still considering a backup - Wipe and Reinstall of the device to see if this will make any further difference.

Thanks again for all the help
    04-26-13 11:00 AM