I've been using the Z10 since the day of release in the U.S, 22nd March 2013.

I'm a gadget guy, and I simply get on with it when it comes to devices. But, I've noticed with the Z10 my typing skills are terrible. Typically in the past I could virtually type without looking, but...

I've used many iOS and Android devices, hence typing on 'glass' is not new to me. The Z10 surely can't be this difficult to type on, right?

I know, you're probably thinking I'm just rubbish at it. But, seriously, is there a trick to better typing on the Z10 or a better method? On the iPhone one had to sort of learn to click almost slightly to the right of a letter to get dead on it. And even then the device simply 'learned' your typing skills, and quickly, too.

Another thing, with Auto Complete, which do you, You and YOU use: Off \ Modest \ aggressive?

Thanks in advance

Ivan
    05-01-13 09:55 AM
    i hate the modest setting, it really screws up my messaging if im typing fast, but my errors are numerous
    05-01-13 09:57 AM
    Typing on the z10 works fine for me.

Posted via my BlackBerry Z10.
    05-01-13 09:58 AM
    I have had 6 phones in two years (Android, Windows Phone, MeGoo) and I find the Z10 gives me the best typing experience I have ever had on a phone. Including all the keyboard apps you can buy for Android. I have turned off auto-correct though. I always do.
    05-01-13 10:00 AM
    Im pretty good with typing on the Z10 and i dont tend to make many typos or spelling mistakes as it is. I use aggressive in my auto complete settings.

But for the life of me, i cant seem to find the setting for auto complete and clearing my learned words . I havent rebooted but it seems like those settings have disappeared from my keyboard settings.

EDIT: Seems like a reboot fixed the issue of me not being able to clear my learned words.
    05-01-13 10:03 AM
    I've been using the Z10 since the day of release in the U.S, 22nd March 2013.

I'm a gadget guy, and I simply get on with it when it comes to devices. But, I've noticed with the Z10 my typing skills are terrible. Typically in the past I could virtually type without looking, but...

I've used many iOS and Android devices, hence typing on 'glass' is not new to me. The Z10 surely can't be this difficult to type on, right?

I know, you're probably thinking I'm just rubbish at it. But, seriously, is there a trick to better typing on the Z10 or a better method? On the iPhone one had to sort of learn to click almost slightly to the right of a letter to get dead on it. And even then the device simply 'learned' your typing skills, and quickly, too.

Another thing, with Auto Complete, which do you, You and YOU use: Off \ Modest \ aggressive?

Thanks in advance

Ivan
    I'm also considered by my friends as a gadget guy, and I found this keyboard as brilliant with no problem at all. I set the auto complete at modest, and for some slang words that I typed a lot, I just let the keyboard recognized by itself, or save it manually on the 'Settings > Language and Input > Automated Assistance > Word Substitution'.

Posted via my Awesome Zed10
    05-01-13 10:07 AM
    The virtual keyboard and the typing experience on the z10 is amazing, and far superior to me experiences on Android platforms.

Posted via CB10
    shaleem likes this.
    05-01-13 10:09 AM
    Go to System Settings ->Language and Input ->Spell Check. Tap on "Edit Personal Dictionary "

Typing on the Z10-img_00000357.png

Posted via CB10
    grumpyaeroguy likes this.
    05-01-13 10:10 AM
    How do you type - Two thumbs? Thumb and forefinger? Some other way?
    05-01-13 10:13 AM
    It's locatd here...

Settings - Language and INput - Under "Text Input" Automated Assistance -

Auto-Complete is number on the next page.

If you turn off "Auto-Correction" it will disable "Word Substitution" (which I love).

"Use Learned Words" is at the bottom of this page - right above "Clear Learned Words".

I hope this is helpful.

Peace.....
    05-01-13 10:27 AM
    I'd like an "Edit Learned Words" option. I like the help Learned Words provides, but I've started seeing some of my common typing errors show up as suggestions. I can always start from scratch by clearing it, but why not just let me edit out the bad seeds?

Seems there are likely more things in there that could be cleaned up than in the Personal Dictionary, which only gets entries I designate.
    Mazokun and Mr_F like this.
    05-01-13 10:36 AM
    I used to use space inference a lot on Swiftkey on Android.
    Type a lot, fast, without spaces, and the keyboard corrects the words.
    It really seemed to be reading my mind.
    On the Z10 this feature is awful. It doesn't seem to remember the previous words so you get the wrong tense for verbs, you get the wrong type of words example plurals or singular, it just doesn't seem good.
    Modest gives a lot of problems, aggressive just pushes these problems on you harder.

I'm finding rapid typing on this device to be more of a pain with time, it's very time consuming to correct all the errors it makes, and the text selection is awful.

Having said that, when I type portions of words and swipe up the rest, I find the predictions are way better, and I can use the phone one handed, and it's just overall much much less frustrating.

So now, despite taking a massive hit in speed, I do one handed swipe ups almost exclusively, it just gets the job done faster and with less headaches.
    The predictive engine for space inference and non swipes is just glitched after some time, and more pain than it's worth.
    05-01-13 11:09 AM
    I love typing on this. The trick is to not look at the message body, but directly at the keyboard so you can visually see the word suggestions. Pretty much you only really need to type a few letters then flick the rest up.

Mind you, I was used to typing on a physical qwerty keyboard, so I didn't have to look at the keyboard and could just punch away at full speed. It took a while for me to adjust, but now I've accustomed to the keyboard.

Try not tapping the keys too fast and actually take the time to read the word suggestions. It may seem slow at first but you see the trend after.

When I type, from all the flicking up and down, makes it kinda feel like I'm strumming my guitar.

Posted via CB10
    anon(153966) likes this.
    05-01-13 11:23 AM
    The virtual keyboard and the typing experience on the z10 is amazing, and far superior to me experiences on Android platforms.

Posted via CB10
    Ditto for me too.......
    05-01-13 11:33 AM
    I use agressive - and its grown on me.

i also add words i use like sh*t and F*ck ect to the dictionairy so i dont screw up and send duck and shut all the time...

05-01-13 11:37 AM
    Two thumbs...

How do you type - Two thumbs? Thumb and forefinger? Some other way?
    Dzyen likes this.
    05-01-13 12:16 PM
    My spell checking should be on moderate.

Overall I can type very well with that setting - I used to hate touchscreens but on the Z10 I can use it just fine. I even type at the same speed on a real life document as on the Bold 9900, so overall it is fine.

It might just be a matter of getting used to it - especially when you have had previous experience with different keyboards.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-13 12:20 PM
    Two thumbs FTW any ways in 10.1 they've gotten rid of Off/Moderate/Agressive to go with Off/Fix Misspelled Words/Insert Top Prediction for space bar
    05-01-13 12:21 PM
    And a screen since won't let me edit
    Typing on the Z10-img_00000292.png

Posted via CB10
    05-01-13 12:22 PM
    Turn off auto complete, use thumbs and flick like mad.......it really works well.
    05-01-13 12:51 PM
    Something weird happens to me with the Z10 keyboard. When I want to type the letter "I" it will auto correct it with a lower case "U". I type with correct grammar and use full words, I wouldn't say something like "Where r u?". Does this happen with anyone else?

Posted via CB10
    05-01-13 12:56 PM
    Something weird happens to me with the Z10 keyboard. When I want to type the letter "I" it will auto correct it with a lower case "U". I type with correct grammar and use full words, I wouldn't say something like "Where r u?". Does this happen with anyone else?

Posted via CB10
    Yup, seems fairly common, I've seen a few people mentioned this.
    The other one is at being corrected to St, all the time.
    05-01-13 01:26 PM