Hello!

I've had my Z10 for over a week and I love it.

It's my first experience with a smartphone so typing on a small keyboard is new to me.

At first I loved the way words appeared next to letters as it predicted words, but then I find myself constantly watching out for these words and losing a lot of time in the process... It almost seems to me I could save some time just by typing out individual letters without regards to autocompletion.

What do you think? Any tips?

Thanks!
    04-04-13 01:07 PM
    Its a learning process as with anything new. As you type you notice the next likely word you're spelling appears the above next letter in that word. I've found that you can still swipe it up even if you hit the letter. You don't necessarily need to swipe from the fret that the word appears on. Just give it some time. You and your phone are 1, and learning each other together. Enjoy your Z10 bro.
    04-04-13 01:31 PM
    I found that text prediction on my Note 2 to be much slower, mainly due to the words appearing above the keyboard. I ended up using swiping motions on it instead, and would still need to go back and correct words.

On my Z10, I love having the words appear above the letters. I don't have to flick them up all the time. So, if I'm tapping away on the keys and just want to type, I can do just that. If I see the correct word above the key, I'll flick it up. No need to look away from the keys, and I find that I am a lot faster at typing that way, as well as much more accurate.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-13 01:48 PM
    OK, thanks for your feedback!! I will keep on practicing then.
    04-05-13 05:45 AM
    It's actually very intuitive. Look at the screen and not the keyboard! Keep typing even when the words appear gibberish. The auto correct will sort you out. The last thing you should do is to disable the predictive text!

Posted via CB10
    jayeff likes this.
    04-05-13 05:49 AM
    after years of the physical keyboard my brain doesn't work fast enough to combine "all key" typing and swiping. When two thumbing I just type the full words and find that getting in the right zone of the keys without worrying about precision gets me the most accurate auto correct balanced with speed. I simply am not coordinated enough or quick brained enough to interrupt that flow with the odd word swipe.

I also find that sometimes the offered word is only a portion of the word I want....or singular vs plural and if you select it you get a space and can't complete the word as you want it without back spacing. So "all key" typing is the way I roll with two thumbs.

When "one thumb" typing I do take the advantage to save strokes with the swipes.
    04-05-13 06:13 AM
    I do similar to above. The flick words are not exactly the tense or not plural ect. It takes me longer to look at the flick words to see which is where( that make sense??) than to just type it. I have pretty fast thumbs, but my accuracy is not that great. Working on it

Posted via CB10
    04-05-13 07:11 AM
    Most of the time the word you are looking to type will appear on the space bar. Just press the space bar. No swiping needed. Also even if you make mistakes just keep going and typing and it will usually make the right corrections for you. I can type about 90 words per minute on mine.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-13 07:14 AM
    You could always turn it off too. I really like it, but the auto correct is amazing
    04-05-13 07:16 AM
    It's actually very intuitive. Look at the screen and not the keyboard! Keep typing even when the words appear gibberish. The auto correct will sort you out. The last thing you should do is to disable the predictive text!

Posted via CB10
    Where is this setting? Is it under settings, Language and Input, Automated Assistance, Enable Auto-Correction => OFF?
    04-05-13 07:20 AM
    As others have said, it's mostly faster to just pound away with your thumbs and let the software do its thing. I do flick words occasionally, especially with my right thumb. My left thumb isn't so good at it yet. I don't stare at the keyboard while typing, but I do glance at the space bar from time to time, and if the word I want is predicted there, I go for it.
    04-05-13 07:22 AM
    Probably a good idea to stick it out for a little while to see if you pick up speed, but there is always the option to disable these features in settings if you find that they're not for you.

Posted via BBCBZ10
    04-05-13 07:27 AM
    I only flick when typing with one hand, it's very useful in that scenario otherwise I just attack the keyboard with both thumbs as fast as I can and it just corrects everythingggggg

Posted via CB10
    04-05-13 07:48 AM
    I only flick when typing with one hand, it's very useful in that scenario otherwise I just attack the keyboard with both thumbs as fast as I can and it just corrects everythingggggg

Posted via CB10
    +1
    04-05-13 08:01 AM
    Same for me... type with two thumbs like there's no tomorrow and let auto correct sort me out. Also I will flick when there's punctuation in the word so I don't have to switch to the symbols keyboard.

Posted via Red Z10
    04-05-13 09:08 AM
    Also some tips in case you don't know about them:

Swipe from right to left on the keyboard to delete a word, you can also use this gesture if the auto correct changed what you were trying to type into something you don't want, kind of like an undo auto correct

Swipe down on keyboard to change to symbols

Two thumb swipe from bottom bezel to screen hides/shows the keyboard
    04-05-13 09:21 AM
    Yep. I only watch for words when I type one handed

Posted via CB10
    04-05-13 09:37 AM