I wrote Flying Thumbs (free app) specifically to help folks like all of you figure out which method is actually better for you: BlackBerry World - Flying Thumbs

It's not a typical "typing test" where you're forced to duplicate correctly a canned set of text. Just wail away on the keyboard the way you normally would, typing anything typical of your style, and get an immediate and clear picture of just how fast or slow you are.

Enjoy!

(The ugly banner at the top is supposed to be an ad, but with BB ads basically not even appearing in most cases right now, it's pretty useless. I'll likely remove it in an update at some point if they don't improve things.)
    sgt_snacks-64 likes this.
    03-18-13 09:08 AM
    Mixture of both. Mostly use two thumbs, but also one fingered at times too.

Posted via CB10 via my awesome Z10
    Same

Posted via CB10
    03-18-13 09:36 AM
    Definitely a 2 thumb typer, but also use the 1 thumb typing when walking or multi-tasking. You definitely need to trust the auto-correct. It REALLY works well. I just type as fast as possible, and the auto-correct is usually 99% right. I hardly ever have to go back and correct what I wrote. It really works great. I'll look at what words I'm typing and I can see that I'm making a ton of mistakes, but auto-correct just seems to always pick the word I'm trying to type. I use to have a 9900, and I typed fast with it....I type much faster now on my Z10.
    03-18-13 10:52 AM
    Definitely a 2 thumb typer, but also use the 1 thumb typing when walking or multi-tasking. You definitely need to trust the auto-correct. It REALLY works well. I just type as fast as possible, and the auto-correct is usually 99% right. I hardly ever have to go back and correct what I wrote. It really works great. I'll look at what words I'm typing and I can see that I'm making a ton of mistakes, but auto-correct just seems to always pick the word I'm trying to type. I use to have a 9900, and I typed fast with it....I type much faster now on my Z10.
    This 10000%

Posted via CB10
    03-18-13 11:21 AM
    use pinky to hold the bottom of the phone and type away
    Trying again to master this right now! Typing is more accurate - probably as I'm looking at what i'm typing rather than the keyboard - but still a way to go before I'd consider it mastered. Feels v clumsy still.

My hands are too small to use the right hand, right thumb technique.

Glad to know that so many are successfully typing away with two thumbs. I have around another week to decide whether or not to keep the Z10 or send it back, switch back to the 9900 and wait for the Q10. Not keen on idea of going back to OS7 even if only for a short while so really want to get this right.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-13 11:41 AM
    I started off by just using my index finger. Had trouble trusting the new KB with my thumbs cause I would miss most letters! More recently, I just dived in and started typing quickly with my (small) thumbs - and realized that no matter how much I missed, what was coming up on the screen was what I intended to type anyway! I'm much more confident now with this truly remarkable KB!
    BigFelter likes this.
    03-18-13 11:55 AM
    2 thumbs. I've tried the iphone4, 4s, 5, the S3, the Nexus. I've even downloaded swiftkey and some other keyboard on the android devices. I think the z10 is by far the best touch keyboard I've ever used. Before that iphone was definitely number 1 but the z10's auto correct is phenomenal!
    BigFelter likes this.
    03-18-13 12:36 PM
    Two thumbs most of the time (like now, for example). If I'm working one handed for some reason then I tend to type and flick with one thumb.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-13 12:41 PM
    I used two thumbs on my BB9700, but now use my right index finger on my iPhone 4S.
    03-18-13 12:57 PM
    I find two thumbs best in landscape and one finger in portrait....
    03-18-13 01:00 PM
    I find two thumbs best in landscape and one finger in portrait....
    Ah, portrait or landscape. A whole new question. Hadn't really considered anything other than portrait (rotation lock went on on day one and has stayed that way)

Def doing better with the two thumbs method now having been spurred on by knowing how many are using it successfully. Thank you!

Posted via CB10
    03-18-13 01:13 PM
    cool app! i just downloaded it and if i really buckle down with two thumbs i'm up around 74 wpm on the z10. i haven't done one on the computer in ages but as far as I can remember that's a fairly decent speed for typing on a real computer let alone a phone, isn't it?

I wrote Flying Thumbs (free app) specifically to help folks like all of you figure out which method is actually better for you: BlackBerry World - Flying Thumbs

It's not a typical "typing test" where you're forced to duplicate correctly a canned set of text. Just wail away on the keyboard the way you normally would, typing anything typical of your style, and get an immediate and clear picture of just how fast or slow you are.

Enjoy!

(The ugly banner at the top is supposed to be an ad, but with BB ads basically not even appearing in most cases right now, it's pretty useless. I'll likely remove it in an update at some point if they don't improve things.)
    03-19-13 12:02 AM
    I use two thumbs or one hand one thumb or two hand one thumb. Either way with my pinky on the bottom it goes numb

Posted via CB10
    03-19-13 12:13 AM
    2 thumbs. I've tried the iphone4, 4s, 5, the S3, the Nexus. I've even downloaded swiftkey and some other keyboard on the android devices. I think the z10 is by far the best touch keyboard I've ever used. Before that iphone was definitely number 1 but the z10's auto correct is phenomenal!
    Thanks for this post! +1

Posted via CB10
    03-20-13 09:50 AM
    Just tried the Flying thumbs app. App's great but my two thumbs speed only 40 words per min. It's more than double that on a regular keyboard.

Perhaps this lovely Z10 isn't right for me after all.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-13 10:06 AM
    Both, but mostly 2 thumbs.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-13 10:09 AM
    Just tried the Flying thumbs app. App's great but my two thumbs speed only 40 words per min. It's more than double that on a regular keyboard.

Perhaps this lovely Z10 isn't right for me after all.

Posted via CB10
    You type more than eighty words per minute on a phone with a physical keyboard? Really?

Posted via CB10
    03-20-13 11:14 AM
    I don't have my Z10 yet, but I've always been a thumb and fingers typer. Left Thumb, two fingers form right hand. I hold the phone in my left hand and then support it with my Right thumb. I imagine this will only work better for me on the Z10. as my two fingers will hover over the words and be able to flick them up easier
    03-20-13 12:28 PM
    You type more than eighty words per minute on a phone with a physical keyboard? Really?

Posted via CB10
    Actually by regular keyboard I meant the one that sits infront of my computer. Not tested on BlackBerry with proper (!) keyboard but def way faster than this.

Curious now. Going to see if I can find a way to test my speed on my 9900.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-13 07:11 AM
    I use two thumbs most of the time but have used my right thumb only at times when required.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-13 07:41 AM
95 ... 234