Coincidence? UGH!!

Last night I got three blue screens in a row... device had to be hard restarted... finally got it working.

This morning, my g/f's Z10 got a blue screen of death... and boom. DEAD! Nothing. It was under warranty. No problem. Brought it and they gave her a new one.

Mine continued to work fine for about 12 hours. Then blue screens again!! Then cycling restarting/blue screen... over and over again. An hour later IT died!

Back to the same store ... waited an hour... grrrr! Walked out with a new Z10. (BTW, how do I restore my Contacts?? Last back up I did to Link was early in July. Are the contacts there? I'm running a device restore now).

Then the question of the battery. This wasn't a retail or AT&T store we were at, but the Service store. The guy said NOT to charge the battery overnight (nor to overcharge it)... as it will cause it to "overflow" and cause issues with the battery and the phone. I was under the impression we should charge it ALL the time... especially in the beginning to "train"/maximize it.

What is the right way to handle the battery charging situation?

Also, anyone getting blue screens lately? We were both on the official AT&T 10.1 OS.

Thanks in advance for your insights.

Sincerely,
    Lonnie
    08-31-13 08:20 PM
    Battery charging should avoid constant short charges ( 15 minutes or less) . Don't be afraid to let it run down to 10% or lower at times to keep it healthy. PlayBook charger acts as a rapid charger. Stock charger works well.
    What have your battery habits been? What is the charger or chargers you have used?

Posted via CB10
    08-31-13 08:28 PM
    It has a smart charge feature it stops when full. Damn contracted service reps. Talking bs

Posted via CB10
    08-31-13 08:30 PM
    Battery charging should avoid constant short charges ( 15 minutes or less) . Don't be afraid to let it run down to 10% or lower at times to keep it healthy. PlayBook charger acts as a rapid charger. Stock charger works well.
    What have your battery habits been? What is the charger or chargers you have used?

Posted via CB10
    I'm mostly using the one that came with the Z10... I had misplaced it... but, re-found it. When I try to use any other (never tried my PlayBook one), it always warned me to use the original charger.
    08-31-13 08:33 PM
    I'm mostly using the one that came with the Z10... I had misplaced it... but, re-found it. When I try to use any other (never tried my PlayBook one), it always warned me to use the original charger.
    I only get that warning when the other device charger isn't up to snuff, or when I am wireless charging my Z off a Powermat external battery, or any external battery. The playbook charger rocks! Been using them for a few months
    I'm positive I saw a quote on Crackberry from a BlackBerry rep, stating two thumbs up for using the Playbook (rapid) charger .

Posted via CB10
    08-31-13 09:27 PM
    Well... I have noticed that there do seem to be -- mathematically -- a large number of people who have woken up to a dead Z10 after leaving it on the charger all night.
    italirican2003 likes this.
    08-31-13 11:09 PM
    Well... I have noticed that there do seem to be -- mathematically -- a large number of people who have woken up to a dead Z10 after leaving it on the charger all night.
    Seems that way. I have a pretty solid routine which seems to be working. I charge my phone fully before going to bed. Go to bed (phone is fully charged), wake up and by then the battery life has dropped some. So I charge what bit needs to be charged as I shower for my daily activities. And repeat. Haven't had any problems at all. And im on my second Z10 (dropped and broke my first one)

Posted via CB 10 on my naked Z10
    08-31-13 11:14 PM
    Seems that way. I have a pretty solid routine which seems to be working. I charge my phone fully before going to bed. Go to bed (phone is fully charged), wake up and by then the battery life has dropped some. So I charge what bit needs to be charged as I shower for my daily activities. And repeat. Haven't had any problems at all. And im on my second Z10 (dropped and broke my first one)

Strange, I charge mine all night every night in bedside mode and haven't had any problems. Maybe I'm lucky?

BlackBerry Z10 | Verizon | 10.2.0.1371
    italirican2003 likes this.
    09-01-13 01:08 AM
    Blue screen on the phone or on your computer... I'm not familiar with the term for a Z10...

In regards to the battery charge it as often and when ever you want. There is no need to train it or use a technique that will maximize it. Some times letting it drain down fully will allow the chip to recalibrate (especially if you see spastic battery percent read outs) but I suggest you read about lithium ion yourself. There are a lot of misconceptions about them and people's recommendations and best practice techniques aren't always helpful. Furthermore charging over night is completely safe since charge cycles are controlled by a computer chip that monitors everything. Heat is your only true enemy. An empty lithium ion battery also has a shorter shelf life than an almost full one (but it's pretty small scale and noticeable differences would be measured after a few years).

Best of luck with the blue screens but I wouldn't worry about your battery charging practices too much. A lot of what you hear comes from the limitations we had using old rechargeable battery technologies.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-13 01:24 AM
    Strange, I charge mine all night every night in bedside mode and haven't had any problems. Maybe I'm lucky?

BlackBerry Z10 | Verizon | 10.2.0.1371
    Or perhaps the OP was simply unlucky. Lol. All I know that with my routine everything has worked out fine. And most people I've read that have said they've experienced problem with their Z10 is with it either plugged in or just recently disconnected. Perhaps coincidence. Who knows lol

09-01-13 01:42 AM
    This phone is a funny bird. Back in the days of 10.0 I would get the odd reboot and, maybe with it, a blue screen. After getting 10.1 the reboots almost stopped. But once a week or so I'd get a reboot and, sometimes, a blue screen. (still on that OS, T-Mo USA BTW). So, I decided to get clever as it was more difficult on 10.1 to know if the phone had rebooted without me knowing. So I put in a SIM lock. That way when it rebooted I could tell. After doing that... it never pulled a rogue reboot again. Curious.
    09-01-13 03:43 AM
    Same happened to me twice. I refuse to use PB charger anymore.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-13 03:58 AM
    I charge my phone often, leave it charging whole night, then unplug go shower during drive to office i plug it in my car charger till reach office about 45 mins drive. Then I also charge it during when I'm working...
    So about 8-9hrs. Lucky didn't get the blue screen.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-13 05:19 AM
    Charing issue seems to have been answered, I'm more interested in regards to the blue screens. I have never heard of them before.

OP, what was happening or being done on devices prior to the blue screens?

Posted via CB10
    09-01-13 05:32 AM
    The nice thing about Having two Z10 in the house are the different approaches used on each phone.
    My wife plugs her in phone at around 9 pm until the morning. 90% of the time. Mine is plugged in to an external battery overnight approximately 90% of the time also. I don't have a power outlet near my side of the bed, and I need my phone as my daily alarm, therefore the external battery needed. My wife gets light use out of her phone, mine gets moderate to heavy daily, and practically continuous use from 8pm until 1am.
    I'm surely not suggesting that people haven't experienced problems, but no device in the last 5 years at least should have any sort of negative circumstances from charging overnight.
    If it had a warning on the box or display warning in the store, i wouldn't buy the phone. In fact I would laugh out loud and ask if they battery was a Nicad. I think Jesus was the first to use Nicad batteries.
    To even suggest to someone today that they shouldn't charge their devices overnight is asinine.

Two (blue screen ==>) Dead Z10's and a Battery Charging Question-img_00002788.png
    Two (blue screen ==>) Dead Z10's and a Battery Charging Question-img_00002789.png
    Two (blue screen ==>) Dead Z10's and a Battery Charging Question-img_00002790.png
    Two (blue screen ==>) Dead Z10's and a Battery Charging Question-img_00002791.png
    Two (blue screen ==>) Dead Z10's and a Battery Charging Question-img_00002792.png

There has to be a flaw somewhere in those phones. Or a reason a good phone goes bad.
    Wife - stock charger overnight and sometimes during the day.
    Me - stock PlayBook ( acts as a rapid) charger and external batteries. I charge numerous times a day, the wife, just once, normally.
    I wish I had a Samsung or LG or other brand charger and a spare Z to test with.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-13 07:27 AM
    The blue screen (and blue screen of death) is on the Z10. And it just happened randomly. I can't say I was running any particular application of anything. I always close most, if not all, of the applications (active frames) when I'm not using them). The battery was adequately charged.

Sometimes, on my phone, it would reboot autmoatically... sometimes I'd get two flashing red lights. Other times I had to do a hard restart (either by pressing down on the button at the top for 45 seconds or by removing the battery). That worked for a few hours... but, other times it would just go right back to the blue screen either immediately after the BlackBerry logo showed up or shortly (like seconds) after the icons first appeared). That was the first night... and as I mentioned it was good for about 12 hours until the next day when the pattern started over again, and the phone eventually completely died and was totally unresponsive. As confirmed at the AT&T store, "it was fried" and they gave me a new one.

With my g/f's phone she just got that blue screen once (right after sending a txt message), and the phone died right then and there.

I hope that explains what happened to our phones. So far our replacement phones are working just fine (though I had to upgrade mine from 10.0 to 10.1)... and the good news is that I was able to do a restore of my contacts (and apps) from Link... if only I backed it up more often (so I did lose anything I had added in the last seven weeks or so. Lesson learned to back up much more frequently!).

Thanks to all for there explanations about the battery as well.
    09-01-13 11:48 AM

Posted via CB10
    The first statement is true.

Please stop telling people to run lithium ion batteries down to " keep them healthy". These are NOT Nickle Cadmium or Nickle Metal Hydride! You will ruin them! You need to learn what you are talking about BEFORE you give bad advice.
    Try NOT to use the Playbook charger too often if the battery gets hot. Li-on batteries don't like heat.

Trusted Member
    09-01-13 12:56 PM
    The first statement is true.

Please stop telling people to run lithium ion batteries down to " keep them healthy". These are NOT Nickle Cadmium or Nickle Metal Hydride! You will ruin them! You need to learn what you are talking about BEFORE you give bad advice.
    Try NOT to use the Playbook charger too often if the battery gets hot. Li-on batteries don't like heat.

Trusted Member
    You need to learn to shut the blank up . I can read. Here you try.

Two (blue screen ==>) Dead Z10's and a Battery Charging Question-img_00002798.png

Posted via CB10
    09-01-13 02:31 PM
    Directly from a built for BB app

Posted via CB10
    09-01-13 02:32 PM
    Two (blue screen ==>) Dead Z10's and a Battery Charging Question-img_00002797.png
    Two (blue screen ==>) Dead Z10's and a Battery Charging Question-img_00002794.png

Posted via CB10
    09-01-13 02:34 PM
    I guess this blue screen hasn't happened to most people... just so bizarre that it not only happened to me, and to my g/f ... but both phones died within a matter of eight hours or so apart (I guess that's love! LOL)
    09-01-13 10:11 PM
    That really hums.
    And both phones too.
    Were they bought at the same time and place?
    Sure must be frustrating.
    Sorry I can't provide any useful assistance.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-13 05:58 AM
    No. They were purchased a few months apart. Mine from amazon. Hers from Costco.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-13 11:02 AM
    I got the blue screen last night. The phone was fully charged and I wasn't doing anything unusual. But it is dead ever since. I can't seem to wake it up.I don't want to deal with the carrier but I'll have to return it and wait for the replacement.
    09-12-13 11:30 AM
    I got the blue screen last night. The phone was fully charged and I wasn't doing anything unusual. But it is dead ever since. I can't seem to wake it up.I don't want to deal with the carrier but I'll have to return it and wait for the replacement.
    Ugh I was hoping you wouldn't have the issue. It's not a great feeling.

BB8130<BB8330<BB9530<Palm Pre<HTC Desire Z<Galaxy S i9000M<iPhone 4<Palm Pixi Plus<Lumia 720<BB 9900<SGS 3<BB Z10<iPhone 5
    grover5 likes this.
    09-12-13 11:38 AM
47 12