Before I call Telus I was hoping to get some insight from anyone who may have done what I am proposing.

My contract still has lots of time left but my wife is ready for an upgrade. Can she order the phone and then we swap plans so that she takes on the remainder of my 9900 BIS plan and I take over the Z10 smartphone plan? I know we can't just switch hardware because of the plans (and is the Z10 micro sim anyway?)

Any thoughts are appreciated.
    02-17-13 08:21 PM
    It wouldn't work that way. You can have a BIS plan put onto her account though and then it's just a matter of swapping SIM cards.
    02-17-13 08:30 PM
    The Z10 needs a "smartphone" plan and wont work with my BIS plan so I don't think this would work
    02-17-13 08:46 PM
    I remember doing something similar to that a few years ago with Telus. As long as the numbers are on the same account it should be fine. It was a little tedious though... Didn't swap plans or anything, just renewed a contract on a different number.
    02-17-13 09:45 PM
    As long as you keep the plans kinda the same they will work it out. Just whine a lot.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-13 09:47 PM
    Before I call Telus I was hoping to get some insight from anyone who may have done what I am proposing.

My contract still has lots of time left but my wife is ready for an upgrade. Can she order the phone and then we swap plans so that she takes on the remainder of my 9900 BIS plan and I take over the Z10 smartphone plan? I know we can't just switch hardware because of the plans (and is the Z10 micro sim anyway?)

Any thoughts are appreciated.
    Simply upgrade your wife's smartphone to the BlackBerry Z10 with a generic data plan, your BlackBerry Bold 9900 with a BIS data plan remains in-place, and you swap devices privately which unfortunately means telephone numbers too unless you can convince Telus to swap the telephone number associated with each SIM.
    02-17-13 09:56 PM
    No what you want to do is no problem at all.
    It will be easier if you join the 2 lines together into 1 account first, but still no problem if not.

Telus allows you to change plans during your contract several times, more than most carriers it seems, as long as the new plan is still $xx/month. The xx there is usually $50.

Does your wife currently have a sim in her current phone?

Posted from my Z10 with my CB10 app
    05Mustang likes this.
    02-17-13 10:05 PM
    No what you want to do is no problem at all.
    It will be easier if you join the 2 lines together into 1 account first, but still no problem if not.

Telus allows you to change plans during your contract several times, more than most carriers it seems, as long as the new plan is still $xx/month. The xx there is usually $50.

Does your wife currently have a sim in her current phone?

Posted from my Z10 with my CB10 app
    She does have a sim but it is just a prepaid flip phone with Telus so we are effectively adding a new contract plan to our household. I do want to keep my number as I've had it since '92.

I imagine this is something like taking over some else's plan but at the same time they are taking over mine. I don't look forward to trying to work through this with Telus but maybe I will be pleasantly surprised and very little whining will be necessary .

Thanks for all the replies.
    02-18-13 11:07 AM
    She does have a sim but it is just a prepaid flip phone with Telus so we are effectively adding a new contract plan to our household. I do want to keep my number as I've had it since '92.

I imagine this is something like taking over some else's plan but at the same time they are taking over mine. I don't look forward to trying to work through this with Telus but maybe I will be pleasantly surprised and very little whining will be necessary .

Thanks for all the replies.
    How long have you each been with Telus?
    Do you know the number for the Loyalty Dept? I'd start the call there. If you need to combine the lines under 1 account, they can always transfer you afterwards to tech support or customer service if necessary.

I can't see on CB10 app, but just curious whereabouts you live?

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 12:44 PM
    Not quite a year and a half with Telus in NS. Don't have the number for Loyalty Dept.
    02-18-13 04:26 PM
    I can't remember which is the new number, and which is the old one that possibly no longer works, but try:
    A. 1-877-279-3110; or
    B. 1-800-463-3919

What you want to do is very basic. Essentially the only "tricky" part is letting your wife's line renew/start a contract and get a Z10, but assign a BIS plan since you'll actually use a legacy BB with that line.
    You would need a new SIM card for the 9900. Then for your line you'll need a new micro-SIM and to increase your data package to accommodate the more data-hungry BB10 platform.

Unless they've changed this, you can activate the SIM card(s) yourself from your PC save a few bucks' service charge.

For your data plan, that component starts at $25/month for 1GB/month, iirc. Telus had a special going that for $5 more you increased to $30/month for 6GB/month. Don't know if that's still a valid offer, but that's what I have.
    05Mustang likes this.
    02-18-13 05:10 PM
    Thanks so much for your help!
    02-18-13 05:24 PM
    Make sure you post back with how you make out. Good luck!
    02-18-13 06:01 PM
    Well looks like if I want it i need to be willing to swap my phone number with my wife. Was told that my number is tied to the contract and I would need to cancel it to pick up a new contract on that number.*
    At worst I will need to get used to the new number for the next year and a half until I get the new Z11 and pass over the Z10 when we switch back

*To be fair to Telus in this I was not able to deal with them directly on phone setup issues because the contract is set up through a discounted EPP and the agent seem much more restrictive on any changes like this. The Telus rep I spoke with did say that it could be done on a regular plan if I purchased a new sim for my 9900 to activate with my better half's number and after she had owed the Z10 for two weeks just in cast there are any others out there to whom this may apply.
    02-19-13 06:22 PM
    *To be fair to Telus in this I was not able to deal with them directly on phone setup issues because the contract is set up through a discounted EPP and the agent seem much more restrictive on any changes like this. The Telus rep I spoke with did say that it could be done on a regular plan if I purchased a new sim for my 9900 to activate with my better half's number and after she had owed the Z10 for two weeks just in cast there are any others out there to whom this may apply.
    Ah, that's issue right there. Instead of being renewed, can your wife's contract with that agent be cancelled, ended, terminated, etc? Is the number held by them right now?
    If you can free it, you can merge your accounts, or add her line to your account. (Same end result.)

But what the Telus rep told you was correct. I wondered if there was a holding period, but I didn't think it was worth mentioning that since I didn't know for sure. Aside from that, it would be a matter of SIM's being bought and swapped.
    02-19-13 06:39 PM
    After speaking with the agent I don't think merging would help out in my case. They were very clear cut that my number belonged to my contract. Not complaining though, the plan is much better than I could do on my own with a lot of freebies thrown in so I do not want to look a gift horse in the mouth. I politely said thank you for the explanation and now need to figure a way around minimizing the hassle of changing a number I've passed out for 20+ years.

Is there such a thing as selective call forwarding where I could set up for the existing numbers in my 9900's contact list and vice versa for my wife's phone? If I do decide to get the Z10 this way then I completely intend to get the next BB when the 9900 contract is eligible for upgrade so I can swap back to my beloved number. Any app developers out there??? I'd be happy to beta test

Odd how people get attached to the strangest things....
    02-19-13 07:32 PM
    You and me both are trying to get a z10 buddy.
    02-19-13 07:36 PM
    You and me both are trying to get a z10 buddy.
    Lol good luck. I know I'm going to cave soon so see ya on the other side.
    02-19-13 07:42 PM
    So how much time is left in your contract anyway? And what's your buy-out for your 9900, if you know?
    02-19-13 10:23 PM
    Based on how Telus calculates the early cancellation it would be about $350 - more than I am willing to pay.

Did find this on the Telus site though that allows for up to 25 specific number to be forwarded which should solve about 90% of my issue:

How to use Advanced Call Forwarding
    Create a Calling Features Assistant password
    Skip this step if you already have a Calling Features Assistant password.

Dial into the Calling Features Assistant (310-8682) on a touch-tone phone. Your first call must be from the line on which Advanced Call Forwarding has been activated. The first time you access this service, you will be prompted to create a password. Enter your password, then press #. Make note of your password.
    Press * to exit.
    Note: Once you have created your password, you will be able to dial the Calling Features Assistant from any touch-tone phone in any location. If you are calling from outside Alberta dial 1-403-263-6981 or 1-780-428-6824. From outside B.C. dial 1-604-520-3212. Long distance charges will apply.

To turn Advanced Call Forwarding on or off:
    Dial 310-8682.
    Enter your area code and phone number, then press # (only if away from home).
    Enter your password, then press #.
    From the Main Menu, press 1 for Advanced Call Forwarding.
    Press 1 to turn the service on. Press 2 to turn it off. Enter the number where you can be reached, exactly as you would dial it:
    For local numbers, enter the 7 or 10 digit number.
    For long distance numbers, enter 1 + area code + 7 digit number.
    For international numbers, enter 011 + country code + routing code + 7 digit number.

Creating a caller list
    A caller list allows you to specify up to 25 numbers to be forwarded, or you can forward all calls.

Dial 310-8682.
    Enter your area code and phone number, then press # (only if away from home).
    Enter your password, then press #.
    From the Main Menu, press 1 for Advanced Call Forwarding.
    Press 3 for your Caller List. Follow the prompts to add, play back, edit or make deletions to your Caller List.
    02-20-13 10:48 AM
    Since your phone is SIM based, just get a Telus LTE micro-sim for the Z10, call Telus and have them put that new SIM number on your legacy account. Put the new sim in the Z10. The micro sim that came with your wife's Z10 will fit in the 9900, you just need to center it in the SIM holder, which is easy to do on a 9900. Give her the 9900. You will need to do a device switch between the 9900 and Z10 before giving it to your wife, then security wipe the 9900 and get her to put her own BBID on the 9900.

If your wife's new account does not have BIS, just call Telus and ask that it be put on the account.

If you are in Nova Scotia, you may be able to just pick up a SIM at one of the SuperStores, not at the Kiosk, but just on a pegboard with their pre-paid phones. I did this a few months ago when I needed a Bell SIM for a 9800 I was giving to a friend that was coming from a CDMA dumb phone. The Bell Store wouldn't just give us a SIM, but required a fee even though we were just changing from an old CDMA phone to a SIM based phone.
    02-20-13 11:16 AM
    I've done this many times with mine and my wifes acccounts as we both have yearly hup's. I upgrade her phone and she gets the old one and I get the new one Can you not buy a micro sim from Telus? What your essentially doing is what a lot of people do is buy a used phone and adding it to an each of your accounts. Unless I'm reading your situation wrong
    Elite1 likes this.
    02-20-13 11:30 AM
    Since your phone is SIM based, just get a Telus LTE micro-sim for the Z10, call Telus and have them put that new SIM number on your legacy account.
    @OP: Try to buy a Telus LTE micro-SIM somewhere, but take it home to activate. Activate on their website. Not sure if it still does, but that used to save you a service charge. YOu probably don't even need to call afterwards. Well, you would need to call afterwards to change to a generic data plan. Again, I highly recommend the 6GB for $30 if still available.

Put the new sim in the Z10. The micro sim that came with your wife's Z10 will fit in the 9900, you just need to center it in the SIM holder, which is easy to do on a 9900.
    You can pick up a micro-SIM to SIM adapter online for like $5 off amazon.ca, eBay, etc. Can also find one around in stores for more like $15-20. I just saw one in a Wind store last week.

In an ideal situation, you can possibly get the new phone and not take a micro-SIM with it to avoid this hassle. Just tell them you have a spare one.
    Actually, even better is just to take it but remain adamant that you will activate it yourself as you're not ready to switch to the new device yet. Then you can just activate it yourself and use it for the Z10 on your number.

Give her the 9900. You will need to do a device switch between the 9900 and Z10 before giving it to your wife, then security wipe the 9900 and get her to put her own BBID on the 9900.
    If your wife's new account does not have BIS, just call Telus and ask that it be put on the account.
    Yep, device switch your 9900 to Z10 using BB Link. Next, wipe your 9900. Then switch your wife from current phone to 9900 using BB Desktop Software, aka DM on here.
    If your wife has a SIM currently, just put it in the 9900 and it will work. Otherwise, get a new SIM card and activate online.

If you need to call Telus, whether to activate SIM and/or change back to a BIS plan, if they question your wife would just say she had a 9900 and decided she wanted to use that for a while. Period.
    02-20-13 02:55 PM
    Based on how Telus calculates the early cancellation it would be about $350 - more than I am willing to pay.
    If you don't need to give your wife the 9900, you could probably sell it for close to that on craigslist, depending which area you're located. Here in Vancouver used recent-model BB's sell for relatively high prices if in good condition.

Not trying to deprive the wife! Can't remember if you said what device she has now. It's an idea, that's all! Just saying!

But I really think you should just do what robsteve, kccman, and I are saying. Carriers usually want to talk people out of such things, but they can't force you not to do it.
    Imagine if your wife did an upgrade for the Z10 and then broke it right away. She wouldn't be allowed to use her account? Of course she would! In practice, this is the same as what we're telling you to do.
    02-20-13 03:03 PM
    Thanks for the ideas. I will have another go at them
    02-20-13 08:15 PM