You're correct zten regarding doubtful BB upgrading batteries. Thanks for original advice more than a week past on turning off gestures. It must be the WIFI and side loaded whatsapp that's also persisting as a battery killer...

BTW, I really don't think that any of my usage should be considered heavy ... I just left some wiggle room to allow for definitional differences in type of usage.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-13 02:31 PM
    You're correct zten regarding doubtful BB upgrading batteries. Thanks for original advice more than a week past on turning off gestures. It must be the WIFI and side loaded whatsapp that's also persisting as a battery killer...

BTW, I really don't think that any of my usage should be considered heavy ... I just left some wiggle room to allow for definitional differences in type of usage.

Posted via CB10
    Excellent write up about your systems specs and tests you did with your device. Really provides a good analysis of your usage and the impact it has on the battery life.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-13 02:37 PM
    So after a full week of trying this with the gestures to unlock turned off I have experienced a major difference in battery savings. While it is clearly difficult to prove without taking some real measurements in a lab setting over time. I can still say that I notice and observe less battery drain with this feature turned off.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-13 09:57 PM
    I am a heavy user and this tip really does make a difference. However, I do also believe it depends on what you do with your Z10 when it is in standby. If the gesture is enabled, when the Z10 goes into my pocket, the likelihood of the screen rubbing on my fabric would likely decrease battery life much faster than if it sat on a table.

For me, if I know if the Z10 is going into my pocket frequently and I need the extra juice, I will disable the wake on gesture. If it will sit on a table most of the day or it's a light use day, I will keep it enabled. It's just too fun to keep off all the time.

I get about 20% battery increase under my heavy days.

Posted via CB10
    peter9477 likes this.
    04-15-13 06:40 AM
    I agree that this has made a slight difference. Though . . . . my battery is still hot all the time and the battery is drained wickedly fast.

Not sure if it was from the update but my phone is suddenly for 2 days now, COLD to the touch and battery is lasting!!!! Gosh that all feels real good ;-P
    04-15-13 10:08 PM
    A few days ago, I did a fairly simplistic and non-scientific test of the actual difference with having this on and off when carrying the phone around in my pocket.

I tried four times, once with gestures disabled, then with them enabled, then disabled again, then enabled again.

Each time I put the Z10 in my rear jeans pocket, with the screen facing towards my body. I was either walking around or sitting down during the periods involved. The screen was off the entire time ... at least, I assume it was. It's conceivable there were some "bum swipes" that managed to turn it on, but I doubt it.

The average power consumption shown by Battery Guru during the two "gestures off" tests were 0.067W and 0.061W. These aren't unusual values given other conditions, such as my cellular situation, incoming message traffic, etc.

The average power consumption shown during the two "gestures on" tests were 0.113W and 0.114W.

Extrapolating these values, it would suggest that over the course of a full day of use (let's say 14 hours over which most of the battery was drained, with a good 4 hours of screen-on time during that) the "Allow Gestures when Locked" feature might account for as much as 7% of the total power consumption, provided you had the device near your body like this.

If you had it in a case, or at least never in a pocket like that, the effect appears to be far less, probably still below 1% extra loss.

A caution again: this wasn't a rigorous test yet.. just another step in gathering useful data on this stuff. It is clear that having your body near enough to the screen can result in some extra power consumption over merely having the feature enabled, so the nature of your use (or non-use) of the device definitely plays a role.
    Last edited by peter9477; 04-18-13 at 08:04 AM.
    04-17-13 08:46 PM
    Go to:
    Settings,
    Display and
    Allow gestures when locked

Turn this OFF

My battery lasted at 80% after 6 hours compared to yesterday only 15%.

Can't hurt to try, if you don't agree then don't do it.

I'd be interested in seeing if there is a difference for anyone who had bad battery life.

P.s this is the best device ever!

Don't forget to thank or like if it helps you

UPDATE:

Three days in and I am noticing a massive battery improvement. Others have also posted improvements with this setting off.
    Will try for four more days.

Plus with my phone on the holster I don't need to swipe to unlock anyways!
    Ever since I followed your tip plus getting a pocket pouch with magnet I have gotten a HUGE difference. from 4-6 hours of heavy use to 12-13 hours of heavy use. If I use the phone moderate to heavy i can get 16-20 hours and still have 20% left. Plus my phone runs cooler which I have been checking on battery guru. great tip and a must try. I don't understand how that makes a difference but It does. good job man.
    jrdba likes this.
    04-17-13 11:41 PM
    Ever since I followed your tip plus getting a pocket pouch with magnet I have gotten a HUGE difference. from 4-6 hours of heavy use to 12-13 hours of heavy use. If I use the phone moderate to heavy i can get 16-20 hours and still have 20% left. Plus my phone runs cooler which I have been checking on battery guru. great tip and a must try. I don't understand how that makes a difference but It does. good job man.
    There is something going on that is draining the battery when the gestures are on. Not sure if it's a bug but turning it if makes a massive difference for some devices. Glad it worked for you.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-13 09:11 AM
    There is something going on that is draining the battery when the gestures are on. Not sure if it's a bug but turning it if makes a massive difference for some devices. Glad it worked for you.

Posted via CB10
    I tried this tip turning off gestures but I didn't see anything different. My battery was pretty much the same. I couldn't even notice the difference. Maybe for some it helps and makes a difference, but if it does then keep it off. I personally love the swipe gestures on. Makes the z10 so much more of a pleasure to use.

Posted via CB10 from my Awesome Z10
    04-18-13 09:33 AM
    The battery on my T-Mobile z10 was struggling to make the twelve hour mark. I tried this tip, and it didn't really seem to change all that much. I started out with my Gmail, Hotmail, twitter, and Facebook accounts linked. I figured that might be too much, so I decided to remove Gmail from the mix, and the phone appears to be making the twelve hour mark a lot easier now. Should it have been obvious that this many accounts linked would kill my battery quicker or can the z10 just not handle much strain? I still love the phone though, in case anyone's thinking of declaring me a hater for saying this.

Posted from my T-Mobile Z10, no longer on the Sprint Meh network.
    optimo likes this.
    04-20-13 09:22 PM
    Damn, this method saves a lot of battery, one of the most effective way available right now, still i miss the gesture for screen on though
    jrdba likes this.
    05-17-13 05:37 AM
    I have had it off since I got my device, major difference in battery for me.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-13 05:56 AM
    I have tried this method last night, my z10 was fully charged at 2100 followed by a mild usage of bbm and occasional twitter and facebook. also when i went to bed i turned on the no notification feature as I always receive a lot of emails in night time. At 0900 next day, my battery reads 69% which is a major difference from before.

However, there are still minor issues that bothers me;

1. everytime the battery is fully charged, it takes quite a shorter time for it to drain, up to a point that it is visible. Around 5 to 10 minutes even after I have turned off the gesture to unlock, I can see that the battery bar has slightly reduced, it usually reads 80%. So all I did after fully charged was bbm and checking posts on twitter and facebook and 20% has gone?

2. During heavy usage, when I multitask between emails, bbm, twitter, browser and so on, the back of the phone starts to heat up. Also when I play some games like angry birds and what not.

So thats it, when I bought it I put too much hope that the battery life will never be the same as my 9800 Torch I have used previously during which I had to carry the charger all the time.
    05-21-13 08:58 PM
    This definitely makes a difference! Unplugged at 8:22am and now almost 4pm in the afternoon and I'm at 70%. Normally I'd be at around 40% by now with gesture unlock active. It didn't take too long for me to get used to clicking the power button then swiping, but wish such an issue didn't exist. Thanks again for this great tip OP! :-) Hopefully BlackBerry is seeing this issue.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-13 03:00 PM
    My device no longer over heats and reboots. I'm 8 hours through the day and have 80% battery left. I keep WiFi, NFC and blue tooth on at all times. This has definitely solved problems. Before I was only getting 4 hours out of the device.
    jrdba likes this.
    05-22-13 03:11 PM
    I have never had issues with gestures on.

From my experiment with Battery Guru, for my use the phone uses 0,5% more juice per hour with it enabled. So in a 16 hour day it will consume 8% extra of my battery. I can live with that. That was tested on older software though. My battery has gotten better on the last few updates. Now I believe it consumes ~1% per hour in standby which is alright.
    05-22-13 03:27 PM
    I think no one, or almost no one, is indicating whether they carry the phone around with the screen near their body all the time. If you do that, even in a case that doesn't include a magnet, this could make a difference. I believe if you don't do that, you'll see only a negligible difference. Without better reports, however, we'll never know...
    05-22-13 03:32 PM
    It's a shame people have to disable key features of the Z10 to get decent battery life from it.
    05-22-13 03:37 PM
    I think no one, or almost no one, is indicating whether they carry the phone around with the screen near their body all the time. If you do that, even in a case that doesn't include a magnet, this could make a difference. I believe if you don't do that, you'll see only a negligible difference. Without better reports, however, we'll never know...
    On the older software I noticed some peaks in power usage when it was in my pocket that I did not get when it was laying alone. Now I don't have it in my pocket very much because I can't at work anymore. So it's possible it will drain more if it's in my pocket.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-13 03:48 PM
    Yep i had the same conclusion as the OP after testing that some time ago, started a thread about it, but then it got hijacked by some people.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...saving-804445/

But never mind, what i wanted to add now is that for me personally this tip worked great before when i was using 10.0.10.90. after 10-12 hours of moderate use i still had 70% left, compared to 30-40% with gestures ON.

But after i updated to 10.1.0.273 it doesn't seem to make ANY difference whatsoever. This is my experience, not claiming it's the same for everybody. And now my battery life is back to the point where after 10-12 hours off the charger i have 30% left.

Anybody else experiencing the same after the update to 10.1?
    05-22-13 04:18 PM
    It should always be beneficial to turn it off. It seems logical that in order to register events intended to unlock the phone, the screen needs to be monitored in some way to recognize a finger swiping up and the os needs to determine if an event on the touch screen is to be ruled as significant enough to count as an intentional user interaction. If rather than the whole screen being monitored it is just a button the os needs to pay attention to, that should always be good for ressources.
    05-22-13 04:26 PM
    I have decided even though this tip definitely makes a huge difference, i'll be going back to gesture based unlocking. Reasoning is because I just saw a thread that a few people said their power button was not working. Since i bought this online and will hit my 30 day return policy soon i fear that if i keep using the power button incessantly it'll malfunction. Also miss swiping it to unlock. I have a battery charger bundle arriving tomorrow so i'll rely on that. Thanks again OP
    05-22-13 05:54 PM
    The magnets don't turn off the processor that waits for your input to unlock the screen when it's sitting in your pocket doing nothing. The unlock gesture is still active and waiting for your feed back as it drains battery.

Posted via CB10
    I have a dumb question to ask. I understand how turning off Allow Gestures when Locked can save battery but what would happen if you also turn off Allow power button to unlock device. Would this make removing your Z10 from a magnetic case the only way to unlock the device? I'm too scared to try....
    05-23-13 11:08 AM
    I have a dumb question to ask. I understand how turning off Allow Gestures when Locked can save battery but what would happen if you also turn off Allow power button to unlock device. Would this make removing your Z10 from a magnetic case the only way to unlock the device? I'm too scared to try....
    Doing that just means that the power button turns the screen on, but leaves you on the so-called "lock screen". You then do a swipe-up from the bottom bezel to go to the home screen.

By the way, the post you quoted is incorrect. The magnet definitely is used to disable the touch input, and it does save power. It's quite straightforward to measure the (slight) power saving using Battery Guru. Even the part about "unlock gesture is still active" is clearly wrong, since you can easily use a regular magnet (not in a case) to demonstrate that the touch input is in fact disabled when the magnet is sensed.
    05-23-13 11:19 AM
    Doing that just means that the power button turns the screen on, but leaves you on the so-called "lock screen". You then do a swipe-up from the bottom bezel to go to the home screen.

By the way, the post you quoted is incorrect. The magnet definitely is used to disable the touch input, and it does save power. It's quite straightforward to measure the (slight) power saving using Battery Guru. Even the part about "unlock gesture is still active" is clearly wrong, since you can easily use a regular magnet (not in a case) to demonstrate that the touch input is in fact disabled when the magnet is sensed.
    Thanks for the clarification on the magnet disabling touch input. I tried it and you're right. The only thing I don't understand is how the swipe-up from the bottom bezel will take you to the home screen if in fact the phone is still locked (on the "lock screen") and Allow Gestures when Locked is turned off. Does my question make any sense or am I just clueless?
    05-23-13 11:34 AM
217 ... 6789