In the context of the present discussion, the issue is whether lock screen gestures for waking up the phone use significant current. If they do, having sleep mode activated by a case magnet rather than a button isn't going to make a difference, unless the case also turns off lock screen gestures.
    Extremely well said. I don't known guys I feel like I have a total different phone with the unlock gesture turned off. It's a major difference in battery consumption over time. I can't explain it yet but I'm working on it and appreciate the feed back.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 12:25 PM
    In the context of the present discussion, the issue is whether lock screen gestures for waking up the phone use significant current. If they do, having sleep mode activated by a case magnet rather than a button isn't going to make a difference, unless the case also turns off lock screen gestures.
    Place a magnet over your screen to turn off the phone and with it there try to swipe up to wake it up. It doesn't, so the magnets also turn off the swipe with gestures feature too whilst it senses a magnet.

Posted via CB10 using my awesome BB Z10
    04-11-13 02:20 PM
    Place a magnet over your screen to turn off the phone and with it there try to swipe up to wake it up. It doesn't, so the magnets also turn off the swipe with gestures feature too whilst it senses a magnet.

Where is the magnet sensor? Front of screen I know but at the top bottom middle and how big of a magnet is required to create the sleep mode? Will a fridge magnet work?

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 02:41 PM
    Where is the magnet sensor? Front of screen I know but at the top bottom middle and how big of a magnet is required to create the sleep mode? Will a fridge magnet work?

Posted via CB10
    Left of centre. It has to be quite strong, but any decent size magnet should do it if it sticks strongly to metal. Just tried it with a fridge magnet I have and it wasn't strong enough to put it to sleep.

brian4591 likes this.
    04-11-13 02:52 PM
    Left of centre. It has to be quite strong, but any decent size magnet should do it if it sticks strongly to metal. Just tried it with a fridge magnet I have and it wasn't strong enough to put it to sleep.

The magnet might not let you swipe to unlock but the feature is still some how active and draining power maybe it is a bug?

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 05:49 PM
    I've tried this. And it's not applicable if you have the flip case which turns the phone on and off when you open and close the lid

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 06:02 PM
    The magnet might not let you swipe to unlock but the feature is still some how active and draining power maybe it is a bug?

Posted via CB10
    As my battery life since I have had the phone with a case with a magnet in I get 14 to 18 hours a day quite easily. Would be daft for BlackBerry to still have this active with the magnetic sleep mode from the case. There is no point to also have that running in the background if the phone senses and turns off via a magnet, so for people with cases with magnets I think most if not all will already enjoy longer battery life than those who's cases don't have a magnet, or they use their phone naked.

04-11-13 07:26 PM
    I've noticed that the notifications on the lock screen about calendar events have disappeared since I turned gestures off. Anyone else have this problem?

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 08:32 PM
    Just passed the 14 hour mark off the charger today and looking at 32% battery remaining. Nice!

Posted from my Z10.
    SunnyFL likes this.
    04-11-13 08:42 PM
    The clip case magnets are in the case body. The flip latch has only a slab of ferrous metal inside that was design to coincide with the front top magnet. There are magnets placed so as to allow you to insert the BlackBerry in any orientation and still always get the power saving feature (screen digitizer off).

You can easily test this with a tiny rare earth magnet yourself. Place the magnet on the BlackBerry and it will instantly turn the screen off. Swipe all you want. It won't work as the digitizer is dead.

I belive they tried implementing this with the Otter defender. The magnet is (visibly) in the belt clip holster. Look at it. It doesn't work.

As with chargers it pays to buy the original BlackBerry brand cases. BTW, as for chargers try the PlayBook original (slightly larger than the Z10). Works as a fast charger splendidly.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 08:47 PM
    I've noticed that the notifications on the lock screen about calendar events have disappeared since I turned gestures off. Anyone else have this problem?

Posted via CB10
    No. My calendar notifications are on the lock screen while gestures are off.
    04-11-13 09:00 PM
    No. My calendar notifications are on the lock screen while gestures are off.
    Yeah, I restarted and it's fine now.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 09:36 PM
    I can confirm this definitely helps. Take a while to get used to going back to 9850 mentality on the button part but I easily got additional 5 hrs with options off. Inititialy didn't think I actually used swipe to wake much and can easily revert to lock button but it was way harder than I thought. Just goes to show you how powerful these guestures are once you are used to it.
    04-11-13 09:51 PM
    Tried turning off the gestures option when screen is off....difference so far is amazing. unplugged at 11pm and reached 20% around 6pm the next day....

Posted via CB10
    jrdba likes this.
    04-12-13 06:58 AM
    Tested this tip and indeed does make a difference, thanks to the OP for the advise.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-13 07:18 AM
    NP guys I have been enjoying the everlasting battery over the last four days.
    There is definitely a difference.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-13 04:28 PM
    Go to:
    Settings,
    Display and
    Allow gestures when locked

Turn this OFF

My battery lasted at 80% after 6 hours compared to yesterday only 15%.

Can't hurt to try, if you don't agree then don't do it.

P.s this is the best device ever!

Don't forget to thank or like if it helps you

UPDATE:

Three days in and I am noticing a massive battery improvement. Others have also posted improvements with this setting off.
    Will try for four more days.

UPDATE 2: there is a definite difference in battery savings with this off. Myself and others have experienced an improved battery life. Others have stated they did not notice a difference. But so far there are enough people claiming to notice a improvement.

Plus with my phone on the holster I don't need to swipe to unlock anyways!

Posted via CB10
    04-12-13 04:31 PM
    If using the pouch should I be turning this off or is it still necessary for the pouch to work?
    04-12-13 05:29 PM
    If using the pouch should I be turning this off or is it still necessary for the pouch to work?
    You can turn it off since when you take your phone out of the pouch it turns on your screens which is like you swiping up.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-13 07:14 PM
    I agree that this has made a slight difference. Though . . . . my battery is still hot all the time and the battery is drained wickedly fast.
    04-12-13 09:21 PM
    I agree that this has made a slight difference. Though . . . . my battery is still hot all the time and the battery is drained wickedly fast.
    Not sure about the heat but heat is caused by excessive resistance .

Posted via CB10
    04-13-13 01:24 AM
    This has made a great improvement to my battery life!!!
    Tried this yesterday after reading this post and the battery life has greatly improved, weird at first having to get used to not using the gesture to unlock the screen but I've got the hang of it now, I greatly suggest this!

Posted via CB10
    04-13-13 02:36 AM
    I haven't noticed a difference with turning off gestures while locked. Still same battery life for me. 16 hrs - 18 hrs use for me
    04-13-13 06:07 AM
    My 3 day Report Back on indisputable Battery issue for moderate to heavy users.

BEFORE: Battery = Horrible for 2012-13 technology even with no radio calls and no carrier SMS/MMS but with Gestures ON, Screen OFF set to 1min, Update email set to 15min, Brightness just past mid-setting, BB protect engaged and obviously much WIFI usage. The battery life did seem to improve 10-15% over the first two weeks after my purchase over a month ago. Whether due to so called conditioning of a Lithium battery or more efficient usage, I can't say. Still, the nearly drained battery had to be plugged (and I did to full charges) every 4 hours of moderate to heavy and less for real heavy usage. And, I did carry phone with screen facing chest in shirt pocket, facing leg in pants pocket, or breast pocket of coat. [Note: I realize mod or heavy usage is subjective. But traditional texting and calls are out of equation. I have 5 email acts linked that receive ave 125/day in and 25 mostly professional discourses--versus short blurbs--out. ALSO, altho no traditional texts during this test, about 200 in/out WhatsApp texts. No other outside Apps that are running in background. Finally 40-50 photos per day and running T-Mo battery enhancing update.]

NOW: Battery = Almost acceptable but I remind using with no calls, no SMS/MMS texts, with Gestures OFF, Screen OFF at 30secs, Brightness set to about 25% on scale, BB protect disengaged but still use WIFI. All other usage as described above about the same. My Z will go a solid 5 and 7-8hrs with light to moderate use but I'm sorry still impossible to make a solid 8hrs with moderate/heavy use as of yet. (Maybe WIFI usage is drawing more than when making calls, texting, and moderate WIFI or WIFI off....but I think that's reaching too far.)

For those claiming 12, let alone 30hrs, well that should be impossible for moderate/heavy user given the load on this processor drawing from the stock Z battery...but there is room for disagreement simply on definition of heavy use. (As perhaps a key, I got nearly 3 days from a charge on some of my older BBs when hardly used but easily drew down the battery in 9--but got my 8hrs--with heavy usage.)

Therefore, I am encouraged and thanks for reminding to close down some energy drainers, but the gas tank is still a bit small for the engine--really expecting a solid 8hrs. And for people that buy, use off the shelf, and don't read, it is inarguable that there might be some frustration leading to returns (or bad reviews that restrict sales). Probably not a huge problem for the tools oriented but rather for the "make or break" BB required masses that need, in part, to be reclaimed by BB to stay afloat. Nothing worse than to have a battery die before end of day. I shall continue to monitor my Z battery and features that might be draining unnecessarily.

[Note: If Q does indeed have a better battery, as reported elsewhere in CB and press, well I would say that BlackBerry is aware of the under performance of the Z issued battery and should rectify now.]

Posted via CB10
    04-13-13 08:20 AM
    That's a tough thing for a company to do, I doubt they will offer replacement batteries or anything it the sort.

I have really good battery life now with the gestures to unlock turned off. I don't even look at my status anymore lol.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-13 09:35 AM
217 ... 56789