Hmm the comment about turning off diagnostic reporting made me realize I had turned BlackBerry Protect on. My better judgement makes me believe it's worth it, but I wonder what power savings might come with turning that off? That's got to be polling location and shooting it up over the network every few minutes, right?

Also I wonder about the device encryption and if anyone is using that yet. I'm hesitant to try it, but I have to wonder if that would consume more power, having to decrypt things as it went?
    04-09-13 03:57 PM
    Data from yesterday:

Gestures on: 4.4mA (average over ten two-minute samples, battery around 4.1V)
    Gestures off: 3.7mA (average over 13 samples, battery around 4.1V)
    25% savings on standby, not bad.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    04-09-13 04:06 PM
    Well, i thought the battery was ok to begin with considering it's a touchscreen.... Normally for me i charge it before going to work around 1pm and end up at 50% by 6pm... I'll report back later tonight to see what kind of difference this tip made.
    04-09-13 04:10 PM
    25% savings on standby, not bad.
    I think it's more like 16%, but either way it's somewhat significant if you plan to leave the device in airplane mode and with the screen off for a very long time. Should be around 17 days standby with it on, and 20 days standby with it off, if those numbers are accurate over a longer period.

Personally, I'd just turn the whole device off...
    04-09-13 05:47 PM
    Just a quick tip if you put the phone in your pocket, make sure is the back of the device touching the skin and not the screen so it will avoid accidentally turning the screen on

Posted Via CB10 app on the Z10LE
    disagreed with that. leaving the screen facing away from your skin, what will happen to that when a great impact coming towards your pocket??
    SassyD likes this.
    04-09-13 06:52 PM
    Thank you for that I have a similar issue with awful battery life - my "Allow gestures when locked" is turned off. Will update with the results.

Cheers
    04-10-13 03:35 AM
    Well, i thought the battery was ok to begin with considering it's a touchscreen.... Normally for me i charge it before going to work around 1pm and end up at 50% by 6pm... I'll report back later tonight to see what kind of difference this tip made.
    Well after my 1st charge at 1pm and by the time 11:30pm rolled around , my battery was at 33% even after watching a handful of 2 min. videos...so i'd say it did make a difference.
    04-10-13 04:12 AM
    Anybody tried this out for a while? I remember it being suggested a few weeks ago. I'll try it out. Are people finding this makes a significant difference?

CB10- BlackBerry Z10
    abdalla889 likes this.
    04-10-13 05:04 AM
    I tried it out for a few days and while it did help the battery a bit, it also got on my nerves having to to press the hardware button at the top and then unlocking it with the slide from bottom to top. Feels really unnatural and is quite hard to do with one hand.
    04-10-13 05:34 AM
    If I don't have a password set, why do I need a lock screen at all?

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 05:50 AM
    I sorta like having the gestures option though, hate pressing the button because I have to apply more pressure since I'm using this case hmm

Posted via CB10
    exactly the reason im not going to do it
    04-10-13 06:14 AM
    Yes. it's true. pressing top button to unlock be very inconvenient most of the time. I prefer to open screen by swapping rather pressing on top but would like to know whether magnet holster or flip case be helpful in avoiding pressing top button everytime.
    04-10-13 06:37 AM
    Yes. it's true. pressing top button to unlock be very inconvenient most of the time. I prefer to open screen by swapping rather pressing on top but would like to know whether magnet holster or flip case be helpful in avoiding pressing top button everytime.
    I have a case with a magnet that puts the Z10 to sleep and also wakes it up when I open the case. Turned of my gestures whilst locked as this feature is not needed really when using this kind of case.

Posted via CB10 using my awesome BB Z10
    04-10-13 07:29 AM
    I'm sorry, but this actually works. I'm a heavy user, and although my battery was in good standing, deactivating gesture improved my battery life.

I still use my 9810, and compile hybrids with the intent of targeting usability and battery performance. Since I don't have access to bb10's OS, I still have my best tool - observation.

Yeah, it may be annoying to have to press a button, to wake the phone, but as long as it's locked, and not Phantom dialing, I'm happy. On long trips, away from any charge stations, this tip is useful.

Posted via CB10
    BB12MX likes this.
    04-10-13 08:33 AM
    Anybody tried this out for a while? I remember it being suggested a few weeks ago. I'll try it out. Are people finding this makes a significant difference?

CB10- BlackBerry Z10
    Works for me, I had a 100% at 2:30 pm yesterday, then I use it as always and at this moment (9:10 am) I have about 75% battery to spend ... Before this change, after 6 hrs my battery was gone.
    Last edited by BB12MX; 04-10-13 at 08:32 PM.
    04-10-13 09:14 AM
    Another battery saving tip.

My Z10 lasted 4-6 hours and was quite hot even immediately after coming out of holster. After 6 days I asked and got a warranty replacement battery. It too went only 6 hours...with almost no actual usage. I also turned of LTE to see if that would help. It didn't. I also had the auto off when holstered toggled to on.

Two days ago I went into settings, accounts ( I have five accounts monitored by the Z10- two company and three shaw cable). I noted that all accounts were set to synch all categories and push was enabled in all.

I opened the advanced settings icon at the bottom of the email account setting page. I turned push mail setting on the default account to the off position and set check mail every 30 minutes.

On all accounts I toggled sync email and contacts only. All other sync settings off.

I also turned off the - gesture when off toggle. I now turn on the phone with the top button which is absolutely fine for me.

My phone now gets I think well over 12 hours- I have a quarter battery left at night after a days medium to heavy use from 0700 till 2200 hrs. The phone is now cold to the touch all day. And this is with LTE back on.

I think the original problem was that the phone radio was on literally every minute searching for mail and trying to sync all categories of all the email accounts.

I own shares of BB. I am now very very happy with my Z10 and am going to keep my shares. I was considering returning my phone and selling my shares.

Blackberry - send out a service notice to all sales techs and all z10 users on how to manage email settings for best usability and battery life. My retail supplier had no clue what to do so cost you a good battery to be warranted.
    BB12MX likes this.
    04-10-13 10:03 AM
    Hmm the comment about turning off diagnostic reporting made me realize I had turned BlackBerry Protect on. My better judgement makes me believe it's worth it, but I wonder what power savings might come with turning that off? That's got to be polling location and shooting it up over the network every few minutes, right?

Also I wonder about the device encryption and if anyone is using that yet. I'm hesitant to try it, but I have to wonder if that would consume more power, having to decrypt things as it went?
    I don't think BlackBerry Protect is continuously giving position reports. In fact, I don't think it's doing much of anything until you access it on the web to locate your device. At that point, a code is pushed to your Z10 and the BB Protect app turns on the GPS to get a location and send it back to the server. That's why it needs location permission.

I've tried deactivating it and saw no difference at all. If it were continuously tracking me, the difference would be huge.

As for device encryption, yes, that uses more power, for the simple reason that all read/write operations involve more computations.

Concerning sync intervals, I think it makes sense to give these some thought, with an eye to battery conservation. Even if you keep your email set to push, ask yourself whether you really need your folders synced every 15 or even 30 minutes. Your situation might require this, but then again hourly sync may be good enough. On BIS, folder sync (deletions, etc.) was on a four hour schedule, and most people were fine with that.

Personally, I don't make all that many changes to my contacts in the course of a typical day, so I really don't need to sync contacts that often.
    peter9477 likes this.
    04-10-13 10:54 AM
    I don't think BlackBerry Protect is continuously giving position reports. In fact, I don't think it's doing much of anything until you access it on the web to locate your device. At that point, a code is pushed to your Z10 and the BB Protect app turns on the GPS to get a location and send it back to the server. That's why it needs location permission.
    You're right, I'm sure, and you can even just watch the screen as you activate "View Location" in the BlackBerry Protect web site. A few seconds after you do that, you should see the little "geolocation" icon show up in the upper left portion of the status bar, showing that it's actively trying to pinpoint the location only at that point.
    04-10-13 11:26 AM
    I'm on my third day with the gestures turned off I said I'd try it for a week. I have been having amazing battery with it off. Last night at 11pm mu battery was at 70%.

Glad to hear others are having the same results.

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    04-10-13 11:31 AM
    I have a case with a magnet that puts the Z10 to sleep and also wakes it up when I open the case. Turned of my gestures whilst locked as this feature is not needed really when using this kind of case.

The case does nothing really, you can test this by watching YouTube on your phone and putting the phone in the case. It will still play sound and use data and processing and ram power. I think you are confused as to what exactly that case does.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 11:35 AM
    Duplicate post.. don't know how to delete because I am nub.
    04-10-13 11:36 AM

I've tried deactivating it and saw no difference at all. If it were continuously tracking me, the difference would be huge.

As for device encryption, yes, that uses more power, for the simple reason that all read/write operations involve more computations.

Concerning sync intervals, I think it makes sense to give these some thought, with an eye to battery conservation. Even if you keep your email set to push, ask yourself whether you really need your folders synced every 15 or even 30 minutes. Your situation might require this, but then again hourly sync may be good enough. On BIS, folder sync (deletions, etc.) was on a four hour schedule, and most people were fine with that.

Personally, I don't make all that many changes to my contacts in the course of a typical day, so I really don't need to sync contacts that often.
    My device was encrypted and i noticed no battery difference. I'm a moderate user as i use it for my business.
    04-10-13 12:04 PM
    The case does nothing really, you can test this by watching YouTube on your phone and putting the phone in the case. It will still play sound and use data and processing and ram power. I think you are confused as to what exactly that case does.

Posted via CB10
    Just tried playing a movie I downloaded and when I close the case lid the movie stops, sound and all and will only start again if I open the case and press play again. YouTube does the same except when I lift the cover it starts playing a second later, so I don't have to press play again it plays again by itself when the lid is open. It does it seem indeed put the phone to sleep.

BTW : meant to say also that the display turns off too.

Last edited by knighty2112; 04-10-13 at 01:59 PM.
    04-10-13 01:29 PM
    I've used this trick for two days now, and I notice a HUGE difference. I'm still deciding whether it's worth giving up the convenience of just having to swipe from the bottom of my screen though...
    04-10-13 01:48 PM
    I've used this trick for two days now, and I notice a HUGE difference. I'm still deciding whether it's worth giving up the convenience of just having to swipe from the bottom of my screen though...
    There definitely is a huge noticeable difference!

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 02:33 PM
217 ... 34567 ...