I even use it on my office desk with the Z10 out and on top of the BlackBerry logo /magnet, just pick it up and it activates.
    Awesome idea! I'm going to start doing that too.

Also very interesting to note: when you do that, even if gestures are still enabled, you can't use a gesture to wake it up! Proof that the holster disables gestures. Also, as far as I can see, evidence that my measurements above are valid.
    brian4591 likes this.
    04-08-13 08:16 PM
    I'm glad someone decided to actually take the time do an accurate observation! Looks like my estimate of gestures on contributing on the order of micro amps were not as accurate as I thought...though still technically correct. :P
    You were probably right for the portion of the system you were thinking of, but I think you missed a few components. There's the touch surface itself, where the capacitive sensing goes on. Then there's the touch controller, which is effectively a tiny microcontroller that drives the sensor, and which monitors changes in capacitance from it, and then there's the possibility that when gestures are still enabled the main processor periodically communicates (typically through an I2C bus or similar interface) with the touch controller. There may be other indirect effects on power. While some of those things take very little, the combined total may be in the ballpark of the numbers I showed.
    04-08-13 08:20 PM
    ^ yes, I just tried that and confirmed it too, the magnet auto turns the gestures off!

It is very convenient on a desk, the phone screen turns off and on instantly.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 08:26 PM
    So you know for a fact its a millimeter? And nothing else? Interesting.

Posted via CB10
    Why so contentious? You need to relax, you're acting like a child. People aren't attacking you here
    vincenzio likes this.
    04-08-13 09:02 PM
    This trick seems to work. It prevents the phone from detecting false touches. Nice.

Posted via CB10
    vincenzio likes this.
    04-08-13 09:38 PM
    I'll say this as gently as I can but turning off features to save battery life is disappointing. These are Android type problems that I thought would have been taken care of before release.
    KoukiFC3S and CeeXTwo like this.
    04-08-13 09:59 PM
    Would love to see the outcome of battery life from other Z10 owners. I feel that my battery is good where it's at but thanks for sharing OP!
    04-08-13 10:10 PM
    I just received my blackberry leather pocket. I'm anxious to see how much battery it saves since it turns everything off
    nice but hard pocket.
    I have strong indication that it might have created a slight problem to my screen.
    maybe it is not the pocket's problem, but the screens.
    Anyway I am one of the guys with the smudges so I suggest you use the pocket with a screen protector.

Regarding the battery saving, I use both the pocket and the gesture lock and I end up my day with fair usage with almost 35-40%.
    mybucah_CB likes this.
    04-08-13 10:43 PM
    Rate of battery usage is actually fairly complex. With less features, and or software active, the less current demand from the device. In areas where reception if poorer the battery drain will increase a little. Turning off WiFi, and Bluetooth when not in use adds to saving a bit of power.

When using the phone for email, browsing, reading notes, and etc, the screen illumination will increase current pull from the battery. The screen illumination draws a fair amount of power. Data transfer such as streaming web content, playing videos or music, will also increase current pull from the battery.

It is difficult to determine an exact amount of current pull for each type of usage. This is because there are many combinations of variables involved.
    04-08-13 10:52 PM
    Well. I use my z10 18/7.

My battery lasts about 2, 3/4hr.

Today took some advice from peeps. Will see if it's better.

When building/testing 3d apps the phone drains faster than charging.

But this might extend it when I'm not using it.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 11:00 PM
    A processor is never "off". When there's nothing to do, it goes into an idle state. In this state, the processor is given less voltage and lowers its frequency and just executes an operation that equates to nothing until the processor receives an actual instruction. The only time a processor is off is when the system is off. The only extra battery drain you'd have by enabling gestures when the screen is off is from the display actively ready to accept user input, which is negligble.
    I think not...not in this case. I get 2 times more battery / charge with "allow gestures when locked" set to OFF...as do most users who have set it that way...so, theoretically, you maybe right, but not practically in this case.
    04-08-13 11:13 PM
    Awesome idea! I'm going to start doing that too.

Also very interesting to note: when you do that, even if gestures are still enabled, you can't use a gesture to wake it up! Proof that the holster disables gestures. Also, as far as I can see, evidence that my measurements above are valid.
    OK, this is going to be my test...
    How big or a magnet do I need for the "holster magent feature"? Will a fridge magnet work?
    I am going to sew/glue a magent into my jeans posket. The pocket for my Z10. This will create a HOLSTER POCKET (patent pending, lol). My phone is in my pocket a lot when not in use and will go into "super battery save mode!" (patent pending...) while in there.
    Oh I am a genius! Muhahahahahaa!
    Seriously.... I am going to try it. Peter what size magnet do I need? and are you any good at sewing? Do you like pizza?

Brian
    partizan666 likes this.
    04-08-13 11:21 PM
    Today I deleted all my recurring calendar appointments. When I first bought Zed, link backtracked appts to 2010. My battery only lasted from 8am -5pm. I type this now and it's midnight. Seems to have helped a lot. Also turned off blue tooth during the day.
    04-08-13 11:49 PM
    I'll say this as gently as I can but turning off features to save battery life is disappointing. These are Android type problems that I thought would have been taken care of before release.
    Correction. It is smartphones type of problem. Zaps battery life whichever brand / model it is.

Peak Battery: Why Smartphone Battery Life Still Stinks, and Will for Years | TIME.com
    04-08-13 11:58 PM
    Agree, why get the phone if you are going to turn the main features off. The only things that I have done for some battery savings haven't taken away from the features at all. My screen brightness is at ~45% , changed cell setting down one to LTE /HSPA+/UMTS bands, and adjusted the sync times on my email accounts (main every 2hrs, Gmail every 24hrs). My battery's at 40% right now , and has been off the charger since 6 am, Slacker radio bluetooth to an external speaker while I read some of these CB threads.

I also don't have any android apps installed, so don't know what effect they may be having, if any.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-13 12:05 AM
    Swipe to unlock is a main feature? That's an accident waiting to happen in my pocket. Off it went.

And you "changed cell setting down one to LTE /HSPA+/UMTS"...from what exactly, 5G?? There's something higher than LTE on the Z10??? Did you mean you turned off LTE? Because that's not what you wrote.

I would rather have my screen @ 100% so I can see it more easily...why buy the phone to keep it at 45% and strain? See the point here?

All of these things are a personal choice, so before you the question them and ask why someone would buy this phone if they're going to turn off it's "main features" (swipe to unlock in this case), maybe you should ask yourself why you would buy the phone if you're turning off LTE, or dimming the screen...(main features).
    KermEd likes this.
    04-09-13 12:18 AM
    I'm on Bell and have two network settings available with LTE, the first being the same as above with GSM band added. So my phone is on LTE most of the time, HSPA if there is no LTE.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-13 01:16 AM
    My case covers my screen when not in use so this is unnecessary.

Posted via CB10 (BB Z10 : BLK)
    Nothing to do with whether your case covers your screen or not. I think (and im not techie) that the reason battery decreases is because the phone keeps sending bits of electricity waiting for something to unlock the screen. This applies whether or not you have the case and so is "wasting" battery life. Give it a try and may be it will help.
    04-09-13 01:17 AM
    As for the screen brightness, your right , personal preference and some of what has been suggested here. I think the default was 50% from out of the box, I haven't needed to increase it. But did increase the font size a couple of points!

Posted via CB10
    04-09-13 01:30 AM
    Tried it, let's see how it goes. I've been getting about 12 hours a day with pretty heavy use, since I'm still figuring out the phone and learning the phone's in and outs.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-13 02:19 AM
    Lasted about 16 hrs yesterday which was pretty good with average use. No gaming or turn by turn navigation. Some blue tooth audio streaming and listening to podcasts on the speaker though. Switched this option on in the afternoon. Should be interesting to see how today goes.

Posted from my Z10.
    04-09-13 05:17 AM
    The magnets don't turn off the processor that waits for your input to unlock the screen when it's sitting in your pocket doing nothing. The unlock gesture is still active and waiting for your feed back as it drains battery.

Posted via CB10
    Well, the processor is always waiting for something, that's its nature and it consumes negligible power while it's waiting. However,the magnet likely suspends the touch screen, which isn't then generating interrupts which means the processor is doing less, over a given amount of time.
    peter9477 likes this.
    04-09-13 05:41 AM
    Thats a great tip. I will give it a try for sure!! Thanks again
    04-09-13 05:51 AM
    Settings
    Display
    Allow gestures when locked

Turn that off

My battery lasted at 80% after 6 hours compared to yesterday only 15%.

Can't hurt to try, if you don't agree then don't do it.

I'd be interested in seeing if there is a difference for anyone who had bad battery life.

I can offer a very rational explanation for this and why I think it works but I'd rather see if anyone else sees improvements first.

P.s this is the best device ever!
    holy crap. That works like a charm. im up from 11-12 hours of active use to close to 20
    04-09-13 05:53 AM
    I'm not asking you to report current in your app, I want you to give me the current that your app is using to calculate wattage just between you and me that's all im asking you. I find it impossible for some no the Wattage ratings to be generated with this size of battery. This is why I want to see your current.

Posted via CB10
    First, you understand that Battery Guru, as Peter has repeatedly said, simply reports the values measured by the OS...to provide what you want would require dissecting the device.

But here's a formula for you....W=V x A, or A = W/V
    W=Watts
    V=Volts
    A=Amperes

So a device that Battery Guru reports as consuming 1 watt, with a battery voltage of 4 volts, is using 250mA (.25A x 4V = 1W)
    niss63 and peter9477 like this.
    04-09-13 06:00 AM
217 12345 ...