Go to:
    Settings,
    Display and
    Allow gestures when locked

Turn this OFF

My battery lasted at 80% after 6 hours compared to yesterday only 15%.

Can't hurt to try, if you don't agree then don't do it.

I'd be interested in seeing if there is a difference for anyone who had bad battery life.

P.s this is the best device ever!

Don't forget to thank or like if it helps you

UPDATE:

Three days in and I am noticing a massive battery improvement. Others have also posted improvements with this setting off.
    Will try for four more days.

Plus with my phone on the holster I don't need to swipe to unlock anyways!
    Last edited by zten; 04-10-13 at 11:58 AM.
    Sator, BBMak, Mecca EL and 20 others like this.
    04-08-13 03:47 PM
    Will get back to you

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 03:53 PM
    I just received my blackberry leather pocket. I'm anxious to see how much battery it saves since it turns everything off
    deezy87 likes this.
    04-08-13 03:56 PM
    My experience is that use of the leather pouch saves a lot of juice.
    With the Z10 in the pouch when I am not using it, in my pocket, car and at night, I can easily get over 24 hours on a charge.
    I am usually off the charger after work, then surfing, emails, downloads, etc. for a couple of hours at home. A short phone call or two.
    In the morning, 12 hours off the charger, I will be in the 60 to 80% range depending on use.
    I assume that the pouch turns off the gestures like the OP suggested.
    BB12MX and jdhooghe like this.
    04-08-13 04:12 PM
    Hmm I had thought about this but never actually flipped it to try.

What blows me away is when I am using the phone and have like, Browser, Battery Guru, and Weather open and I go to active tiles and see I'm burning up 3 W of power? That seems awfully high! It is nice to unlock the phone and see it at like 0.0 W usage and 102h of time left lol.
    stevepar and R Field like this.
    04-08-13 04:19 PM
    Will try this, my battery life lately has been very bad.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 04:21 PM
    My case covers my screen when not in use so this is unnecessary.

Posted via CB10 (BB Z10 : BLK)
    04-08-13 04:24 PM
    Yup, good tip. Reason is that when this feature is enabled, the screen maintains a small electrical charge so it can react to the swipe. Turning it off eliminates this small drain, and it makes a big difference if your screen is off for long periods of time.
    04-08-13 04:27 PM
    Yup, good tip. Reason is that when this feature is enabled, the screen maintains a small electrical charge so it can react to the swipe. Turning it off eliminates this small drain, and it makes a big difference if your screen is off for long periods of time.
    Not only that but I don't think battery guru is providing accurate infornation.

Also the processor has to be Constantly active when this option is enabled because it is waiting for you to make an input even when the screen is off and the phone is in your pocket. The swipe to unlock is a clever feature but I think it I'd always draining battery because it has to since it doesn't k ow when you will come back to unlock the device.

Anyways try it

So far I'm amazed at the battery difference.

Posted via CB10
    fbloise and Jonesy1966 like this.
    04-08-13 04:30 PM
    Not only that but I don't think battery guru is providing accurate infornation.
    It reports the information provided by the operating system, as I've now told you repeatedly. I doubt that the BlackBerry engineers have deliberately provided inaccurate information, or are incompetent, so it seems reasonable to believe the information is accurate. Thousands of people using it, over two years, reporting their results and learning useful things about their devices with it, appears to back up that idea.
    04-08-13 05:18 PM
    It reports the information provided by the operating system, as I've now told you repeatedly. I doubt that the BlackBerry engineers have deliberately provided inaccurate information, or are incompetent, so it seems reasonable to believe the information is accurate. Thousands of people using it, over two years, reporting their results and learning useful things about their devices with it, appears to back up that idea.
    Because no one has questioned your data in over two years doesn't mean it is correct. I've found various inconsistencies in just the numbers that you gave me. Also remember I didn't even know what battery guru was or that you created it. I just found your data to not abide by basic ohms law. I also find it entertaining how you think you can use your app as a credible source of information for discrediting and crediting things. What is the accuracy of the app? Even you are unsure if the device provides it correct data. And this is simply what I'm picking up on. Some guy posted a battery guru screen shot of -0.0W usage with the screen on and the antennas running? Honestly?

I honestly don't even care about your app, I'm more annoyed that you think you can use its primitive data to make measurements and calculations of other system usage.

Posted via CB10
    illwill718 likes this.
    04-08-13 05:25 PM
    Because no one has questioned your data in over two years doesn't mean it is correct. I've found various inconsistencies in just the numbers that you gave me. Also remember I didn't even know what battery guru was or that you created it. I just found your data to not abide by basic ohms law. I also find it entertaining how you think you can use your app as a credible source of information for discrediting and crediting things. What is the accuracy of the app? Even you are unsure if the device provides it correct data. And this is simply what I'm picking up on. Some guy posted a battery guru screen shot of -0.0W usage with the screen on and the antennas running? Honestly?

I honestly don't even care about your app, I'm more annoyed that you think you can use its primitive data to make measurements and calculations of other system usage. Congratulations you made an app that relays system information with questionable accuracy to the end user. At the same time you can't use this information to make other calculations. Why is this so hard for you to understand?

Give me current readings and then we can talk.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 05:28 PM

I honestly don't even care about your app, I'm more annoyed that you think you can use its primitive data to make measurements and calculations of other system usage.
    You seem to care very much about it, or you wouldn't be using every other post to claim that it's inaccurate.

And as others have noted, the OS updates the readings only every two minutes, so it's quite natural to see readings that don't correspond with what an instantaneous power measurement would be. This is why the app provides a graph, and records the readings, so you can monitor them over time. These details are noted in the app's description and help.

Oh, and the app does provide current as well as voltage, so you can pick whichever combinations of those that suit your fancy. I just report power as it's the most meaningful measurement we have.

zten already knows this since he says he's an electrical engineer, but in case others do not: since the battery voltage drops as you drain it, from about 4.3V to 3.4V, the current consumption will actually climb steadily. The product of the two is power, and that typically stays fairly steady for a given set of conditions. Reporting only the current for something would be misleading, since it would change depending on the voltage at that moment. I therefore report power, which is more or less consistent even as the battery drains.
    04-08-13 05:29 PM
    I find battery guru to be quite accurate and very useful. Definitely the best battery app available for z10.

@zten, maybe you can tone it down a bit. Peter has been very helpful to a lot of people on these forums.
    04-08-13 05:31 PM
    You seem to care very much about it, or you wouldn't be using every other post to claim that it's inaccurate.

And as others have noted, the OS updates the readings only every two minutes, so it's quite natural to see readings that don't correspond with what an instantaneous power measurement would be. This is why the app provides a graph, and records the readings, so you can monitor them over time. These details are noted in the app's description and help.

Oh, and the app does provide current as well as voltage, so you can pick whichever combinations of those that suit your fancy. I just report power as it's the most meaningful measurement we have.

zten already knows this since he says he's an electrical engineer, but in case others do not: since the battery voltage drops as you drain it, from about 4.3V to 3.4V, the current consumption will actually climb steadily. The product of the two is power, and that typically stays fairly steady for a given set of conditions. Reporting only the current for something would be misleading, since it would change depending on the voltage at that moment. I therefore report power, which is more or less consistent even as the battery drains.
    I'm not asking you to report current in your app, I want you to give me the current that your app is using to calculate wattage just between you and me that's all im asking you. I find it impossible for some no the Wattage ratings to be generated with this size of battery. This is why I want to see your current.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 05:36 PM
    Hope this works!

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 05:38 PM
    Hope this works!

Posted via CB10
    You should see a major difference, I did only after a day.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 05:40 PM
    I'm going to give this tip a try. Running 6-7 hours on a charge before I have to reach for a charger is totally unacceptable in my personal opinion.

I as well have tried many other tips as well. With not too much success and I'mon H+ speed only.

Cheers
    AshDeezy likes this.
    04-08-13 05:42 PM
    I have the official BlackBerry leather pouch, I don't think this is necessary because of the magnets in the pouch, we'll this isn't necessary for users with the flip cover or pouches

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 05:42 PM
    I'm going to give this tip a try. Running 6-7 hours on a charge before I have to reach for a charger is totally unacceptable in my personal opinion.

I as well have tried many other tips as well. With not too much success and I'mon H+ speed only.

Cheers
    Let me know how it works out!

Posted via CB10
    007Storm and zyad like this.
    04-08-13 05:44 PM
    I have the official BlackBerry leather pouch, I don't think this is necessary because of the magnets in the pouch, we'll this isn't necessary for users with the flip cover or pouches

Posted via CB10
    The magnets don't turn off the processor that waits for your input to unlock the screen when it's sitting in your pocket doing nothing. The unlock gesture is still active and waiting for your feed back as it drains battery.

Posted via CB10
    stevepar likes this.
    04-08-13 05:45 PM

Good info, glad I bought this app. I too find it very accurate
    04-08-13 05:57 PM
    Definitely going to try turning off gestures when phone is locked. Will report back.

Battery Guru is a lifesaver for people who care about their battery and what's going on with it.
    04-08-13 06:07 PM
    Battery Guru is accurate, you can verify its data by correlating it to the info provided in EScreen > OS Engineering Screen > Battery > Battery Monitoring Screen.

Updates are provide every 2 minutes when a charger is not connected. The update frequency is decreased to 30 seconds when a charger is connected. This is done to save power.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 06:08 PM
    I've allowed gestures when phone locked since day one and haven't once experienced battery drain overnight. I use Bedside Mode.

To the battery experts on the forum, I've a bugging question - it's everywhere on the Internet that lithium batteries should not be fully drained in the normal course of usage as it shortens battery life. It also says that the battery doesn't need conditioning. Please explain how is or that my battery seems to be able to retain power better than the first week I had it? Peter, you posted in another thread that you think it's a mirage, a fragment of our imagination. But as a user, and I know the regularity of my usage being a constant everyday, the battery has become better.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 06:18 PM
217 123 ...