it's unbelievable! the anti iphone without LTE?!?!
    is it wrong or true?
    In an Italian forum I read that the Z10 will be without LTE.

what the ****!
    01-19-13 10:07 AM
    It will depend on where you are and if LTE is even a network option.... There are many regions in the world where LTE is still years away.
    01-19-13 10:15 AM
    there are 3 variants and some will not have LTE since the market they are being sold in doesnt have lte either. All variants do have 4G option though
    01-19-13 10:30 AM
    there are 3 variants and some will not have LTE since the market they are being sold in doesnt have lte either. All variants do have 4G option though
    With EE confirming they will have a 4g model, the odds are that we will be seeing four rather than three variants as a RoW GSM/LTE device would need to support fairly different LTE bands than the NA variant unless you go for the same crappy approach as apple that results in some carriers with LTE networks being ignored.
    01-19-13 11:12 AM
    will a non 4g version of l-series have less features and specs or literally only the lack of 4g..

also, if so, does this make it cheaper?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-19-13 11:16 AM
    Uh, yes, it is true. That "variant" of devices will be for markets where there is no 4G LTE... which will help bring the cost down and make it more affordable in those markets.
    01-19-13 11:22 AM
    It will depend on where you are and if LTE is even a network option.... There are many regions in the world where LTE is still years away.
    I Live in Italy and my carrier has LTE....
    I don't think that LTE is so important,i think it will work well also in 3G, but if this device will be the anti-iphone, I believed that it had LTE.
    01-19-13 11:40 AM
    Right well.. All rumors just in forums at the moment... Why do you take unofficial data so seriously? BB10 will have LTE, this is confirmed by RIM. If your carrier is LTE, chances are it will get an LTE version. End of discussion Jan 30 is less than 2 weeks away....
    Also, BB10 is not an "anti-iphone." Where did you coin that term from? Probably from forums, where a lot of words are just thrown around freely? BB10 is its own device of its kind. It's taking BlackBerry's strengths and building upon them quite substantially.

Italians... Gosh! (I'm Italian, too, lol . Though I live in Canada).

Bottom line, let's just wait till January 30th!
    01-19-13 11:59 AM
    If your carrier has lte it will sell the lte model.

Sent from my BlackBerry Laguna using Tapatalk 2
    moder81 likes this.
    01-19-13 12:42 PM
    If anyone thinks there will be no 4g L-series you must be loony lol. Lte is standard for any new Flagship device. Speaking of LTE I am praying Rim releases the 4g PlayBook in the U.S with BlackBerry10. Id buy that before Id buy a Z-10
    01-19-13 01:56 PM
    If anyone thinks there will be no 4g L-series you must be loony lol. Lte is standard for any new Flagship device. Speaking of LTE I am praying Rim releases the 4g PlayBook in the U.S with BlackBerry10. Id buy that before Id buy a Z-10
    just curious,,, why buy a 4g/lte playbook (especially @ that price) when you can run a wifi one bridged & not pay for it as an extra device/line???
    01-19-13 05:25 PM
    Verizon's leaked flyer notes LTE. I will say that I did not really think LTE was that important until I had it. It is awesome, especially when using the phone as a hotspot to do work.
    01-19-13 07:07 PM
    will a non 4g version of l-series have less features and specs or literally only the lack of 4g..

also, if so, does this make it cheaper?
    It seems like it will be a different dual-core of similar power in the non-lte models.

You probably won't be able to tell if it is cheaper or not since it is very unlikely that carriers will carry both.
    01-19-13 08:25 PM
    just curious,,, why buy a 4g/lte playbook (especially @ that price) when you can run a wifi one bridged & not pay for it as an extra device/line???
    Well number one of course is BlackBerry10 on a Playbook would be like having a Z-10 only better imo because of all the real estate.
    RIM went with 2 gig for a reason so I worry how the wifi PlayBook is going to handle it. I think the LTE will do better being a little closer to the 2 gigs RIM allocated for BlackBerry10. I just really love the PlayBook and think it will be so much better with BlackBerry10.

Who knows maybe RIM will shock us all with new tablet hardware running os10 or even tablet os10 license to another OEM.

One can dream.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    01-20-13 12:32 AM
    L-Series:
    London (HSPA+)
    Lisbon (HSPA+ + LTE)
    Laguna (CDMA + LTE)

Correct me if I'm wrong. And it's possible that a carrier like T-Mobile (USA) will opt for a London instead of a Libson. AT&T will most likely get the Lisbon and Verizon & Sprint will get the Laguna.
    01-20-13 12:57 AM
    Forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference between LTE and 4G?

Sent from my BlackBerry 8900 using Tapatalk
    01-20-13 04:19 AM

Same thing. Not all designations of 4G are equal. LTE is the top. T'Mobile calls their HSPA+ 4G, and it is fast, just not as fast as LTE.

I pull 35 down and 19 up at my house on Verizon LTE, which is awesome.
    01-20-13 04:32 AM
    Well here in the UK we have one 4G network (EE) and its not even fully setup, only 4G in some major cities, and the nearest city to me (Doncaster) won't get 4G till this year/2014 and my town itself hasn't even got a date.. So I'm not even sure what's going to happen!
    convenor likes this.
    01-20-13 04:35 AM

4G is a designation for a set of technologies and has been applied to wimax, hspa+ and LTE. It isn't really official, the ITU defined a set of specifications called IMT-Advanced and at some point the media and various blogs started using the term 4G to refer to IMT-Advanced.

IMT advanced was subsequently officially attached to WiMax 2 and LTE-Advanced (NOT the original LTE).

Sprint started referring to wimax as 4G and then later tmobile did the same with category 10 hspa+ devices. When tmobile did the blogosphere cried foul, and collectively confused the terms 4G with IMT-Advanced. Later the ITU issued some clarifying remarks basically saying that people were indeed calling IMT-Advanced 4G and that there were several technologies that were sufficiently faster than 3G to be called 4G (though the ITU really never attached generations to technology levels) and those included hspa, WiMax and LTE.

HSPA is deployed on 5+5 MHz, and SISO and with modulation as complex as 64QAM. Later versions allow for the bonding of two downstream carriers into a wider channel, basically making it 10+5 MHz and also allowing for 2x2 MIMO. Tmobile is currently deploying dual carrier (10+10 mhz) on SISO which has a theoretical maximum of 42 mbps. A MIMO version of this would be good to 84 mbps.

LTE is deployed on 1.4, 3, 5, 10, 15 or 20 MHz and can be either frequency or time duplexes (most current deployments are frequency duplexed) and up to 4x4 MIMO. Verizon deploys on 10+10 MHz, 2x2 MIMO which produces a theoretical maximum speed of about 72 mbps. At least one Canadian carrier deploys on 20+20 MHz and there are some US carriers that in some markets deploy 1.4 MHz carriers on SISO, which is good for less than 10 mbps, quite a bit slower than HSPA.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    01-20-13 05:34 AM
    Well number one of course is BlackBerry10 on a Playbook would be like having a Z-10 only better imo because of all the real estate.
    RIM went with 2 gig for a reason so I worry how the wifi PlayBook is going to handle it. I think the LTE will do better being a little closer to the 2 gigs RIM allocated for BlackBerry10. I just really love the PlayBook and think it will be so much better with BlackBerry10.

Who knows maybe RIM will shock us all with new tablet hardware running os10 or even tablet os10 license to another OEM.
    It was a faster processor in the LTE model, the amount of memory was unchanged.

I suspect that bb10 will be fine on the playbooks when it eventually comes out, they will just need more time to optimise it to fit more comfortably into 1gig while still showing off a similar level of multitasking ability.

As far as them shocking us with a new tablet, that seems shockingly unlikely as they will be expecting to sell far more phones than tablets and thus would have used any spare resources to get the qwerty device done in time for this launch if there was anyone to spare.
    jonno_atamaniuk likes this.
    01-20-13 07:42 AM
    Pardon my thinking this, but... I'm not certain that there will be a non-4G (as in non-LTE) model for the Z10. Some would ask why, and my reasoning is as follows:

Currently, every device that comes out with support for LTE also comes with support for either CDMA or WCDMA/GSM for voice protocol. In supporting CDMA, 1x and EV-Do Rev. A are automatically supported as a fall-back for when LTE is not present. In WCDMA/GSM devices, HSPA(+), EDGE, and GPRS are supported (though I know in Canada Bell and Telus only have the HSPA network for their WCDMA devices) as fall-back options for the networks. This means that anywhere you go, if LTE isn't an option for you, one of the fall-back technologies will be. It might be that the devices could ship with the LTE radios turned off, then perhaps activated and tuned with a software update for that particular carrier as they deploy their LTE network... if that is possible, perhaps I'm not understanding certain things quite right.
    pdxmatts likes this.
    01-20-13 02:20 PM
    4G simply means 4th generation.
    01-20-13 02:48 PM
    This might sound provocative. But to **** with 4G et al. 3G was so fast when 5,000 handsets used it in the beginning. Look at it now. Glasgow on a Saturday night and my phone reverts to very slow speeds or even EDGE. This is going to happen with 4G as well. Plus, some of my mates wish they had 3G!

So 4G is something that sounds cool and might work in some areas now because the amount of handsets drawing on the same lines is low. But history repeats itself. If it comes without 4G. Dealbreaker for me? No, I can't even use 3G to its fullest. Why believe that 4G would be any better?
    01-20-13 03:04 PM
    The Z10 I played with last week was HSPA+ and LTE enabled.
    01-20-13 03:48 PM
    Pardon my thinking this, but... I'm not certain that there will be a non-4G (as in non-LTE) model for the Z10. Some would ask why, and my reasoning is as follows:
    The biggest thing that indicates that there will be a hspa-only model is the dev alpha b using the omap4 chipset, if they had no plans to use that commercially then those devices would have been based on the qc s4 as all the omap chips would have found their way into dev alpha a devices.

It will be interesting to see what the split ends up being, but there will definitely be some non-lte models out there.
    01-20-13 05:39 PM
38 12