Either way, seems to be an issue with your provider. Not the phone. Accepting that will go a long way towards you figuring out how to fix the problem. Good luck!
    It's a basic function to allow the user to change the APN settings. It's stupid that Blackberry has decided to lock the APN.

For me I can change the APN settings but I'm not able to save them. For some reason my SIM card gives wrong settings for the Z10, in every other phone I have tried (iPhones, Androids etc) the settings are right.

The problem is that in my country (Finland) there is only one (so called virtual operator aka uses another operators network) provider who provides Blackberrys. And for some reason the Z10 picks up that carriers apn settings for my sim card.
    02-20-13 12:01 PM
    i just contacted the 3 service line and this is what they said:
    you have to book the BB option which costs 9� (my normal contract 10�), then you have to register the phone on a website and after this the phone gets the service books.....
    Well there is your answer. Not really a device problem, it is your carrier not allowing you to do the Internet. Do not blame this on Blackberry
    02-20-13 12:23 PM
    If it is a "carrier problem" then why is it possible that my old OS6 Bold can easily use the internet with a 3 (= Hutchison) SIM without a BB-option?

If the SIM works in another phone I can see only two possibilities:
    a) The unlock code does not work 100% -> ****
    b) The firmware does not allow changing/saving the APN -> more ****

A word about the 3 support - they have absolutely no plan regarding Blackberry!
    Forget the talk with the service books on Z10! The support do not even know what happens when you consume more than the 1GB data volume of the BB-option with an old BlackBerry device - speed reduction? Lock? Additional costs?
    02-20-13 12:57 PM
    too much misinformation on here...

the sim does not determine the Apn...
    the programming that is on the phone determines what apn it uses..

in simple terms, the sim tells the phone what carrier you are with, the phone has an apn list which then sets the apn to what it finds in the list for your carrier.
    the different carriers out there have told blackberry what apn they wanted to be used by default.. if the wrong apn is being used, then blackberry had not programmed the correct apn... this would normally not be a problem because every other phone out there allows you a way of changing the apn setting... the z10 does not...

I am sure that this was done I purpose.. the major carriers told blackberry to lock down the apn setting so that they could force people to change their plans. Blackberry may play stupid and say it's a bug, but I doubt that we will ever see this bug fixed... They are in no position to go against the carriers wishes
    02-20-13 02:26 PM
    smdh...what a joke...
    inffy likes this.
    02-20-13 02:33 PM
    Yeah, this APN business is real bs. BlackBerry should get on fixing this ASAP.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-13 02:38 PM
    This is where the issue of buying unlocked Z10's are going to come into play, especially when the OP is with a carrier that supposedly doesn't offer BlackBerry's to begin with...
    02-20-13 02:41 PM
    Yeah, this APN business is real bs. BlackBerry should get on fixing this ASAP.

Posted via CB10
    Dude, calm down... if the OP is using a carrier that doesn't support BlackBerry, and has a thing like Bell does here in Canada, there is nothing that the OP can do except for change carriers... BB is not at fault if the the APN is locked... maybe it was the carriers that asked for that....
    02-20-13 02:45 PM
    Dude, calm down... if the OP is using a carrier that doesn't support BlackBerry, and has a thing like Bell does here in Canada, there is nothing that the OP can do except for change carriers... BB is not at fault if the the APN is locked... maybe it was the carriers that asked for that....
    For me the problem is in blackberry and in the code of bb10.

The sim card DOESN'T include any apn settings. The operating system reads the settings from a list and checks the sim codes.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-13 02:53 PM
    For me the problem is in blackberry and in the code of bb10.

The sim card DOESN'T include any apn settings. The operating system reads the settings from a list and checks the sim codes.

Posted via CB10
    And the same sim works in your old blackberry with no account changes?

Posted via CB10
    02-20-13 03:23 PM
    And the same sim works in your old blackberry with no account changes?

Posted via CB10
    This is my first blackberry ever. The sim works on my other phones like the iphone.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/...2163691/page/2

Hard to explain but there is the situation I'm facing at the moment

Posted via CB10
    Keith Atkinson likes this.
    02-20-13 03:26 PM
    i just contacted the 3 service line and this is what they said:
    you have to book the BB option which costs 9� (my normal contract 10�), then you have to register the phone on a website and after this the phone gets the service books.....
    Lol... service books don't even exist any more on BlackBerry 10
    02-20-13 04:31 PM
    Check out this thread... here in Canada, Bell is making users pay for BIS to allow the Z10 to connect.... http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...orking-767922/
    People just need to complain to the CRTC about them false charging for something that really is NOT needed. They are scamming their customers! Push back and stand up for a change!
    02-20-13 04:38 PM
    can you connect over W-Lan ?
    02-20-13 04:43 PM
    Hey crackberry members,

so today i really regret having bought the Z10. Why? I CAN'T use the internet....

First i thought it is my virtual provider, because he uses a foreign network. BUT today i received my "3 - Austria" sim card, and i still cannot connect to the internet (and yes, the phone is unlocked + i did a security wipe!) + the APN settings can not be changed!

seriously Blackberry, WT* are you thinking? I bought a phone for 600� and i cannot use the internet...

manniiii
    Its not BIS anymore. Phone behaves like any other with regards to data. Blame the carrier and/or your SIM
    02-20-13 04:54 PM
    Now what is the current apn setting?
    02-20-13 04:57 PM
    Its not BIS anymore. Phone behaves like any other with regards to data. Blame the carrier and/or your SIM
    The blame goes to whomever made the decision not to allow setting manual apn changes... if the carriers forced blackberry to lock down apn changes then blame the carriers.. however I would still put a little blame on blackberry for not having the balls to say no...

this issue is not about BIS vs smartphone plans.... There are hundreds of carriers out there... There is the possibility that the carrier may not be part of the phone's internal apn list.. that is where having the ability to change apn manually Comes in handy...

what if a new carrier comes along and you want to switch.. you would need blackberry to update its os in order to put the new apn on the list so you can use it on that carrier....

this issue of locked down apns is not sim issue and will effect many more people than you think
    02-20-13 05:09 PM
    The blame goes to whomever made the decision not to allow setting manual apn changes... if the carriers forced blackberry to lock down apn changes then blame the carriers.. however I would still put a little blame on blackberry for not having the balls to say no...

this issue is not about BIS vs smartphone plans.... There are hundreds of carriers out there... There is the possibility that the carrier may not be part of the phone's internal apn list.. that is where having the ability to change apn manually Comes in handy...

what if a new carrier comes along and you want to switch.. you would need blackberry to update its os in order to put the new apn on the list so you can use it on that carrier....

this issue of locked down apns is not sim issue and will effect many more people than you think
    This will definitely affect me. I have straight talk here in the US, and if I can't change the apn I will have to choose another phone. It sucks because I dislike android and ios.
    02-20-13 09:00 PM
    I have had and still have similar problem. In Brunei where I am using the Z10. All data (over mobile data and while connected to WiFi) works on the device except BBM text, BlackBerry protect. Also, I don?t get the 4 BB dots. If I take my DSTcom carrier SIM card out and connect via WiFi, it works without any issue. If I plug in a SIM card that doesn?t even have a data plan but is from UK, I get the 4 BB dots as well. Funny thing is, DSTcom have a BIS plan, but somehow it is blocked for Z10 / BB10. I think the issue is the APN block of some sort. I am not sure if this is as per the list BlackBerry has baked into the OS, or if it a block at the carrier. Speaking with the carrier, they are saying that they have not done anything to block the BB10 service.

The mobe BlackBerry made in BB10 to discriminate between different carrier APN?s (if that is correct) is a un-cool move. This was supposed to be a device that could be used with any data plan. Now I am stuck with a shiny new Z10 in Brunei and I can?t get connected to the BlackBerry network.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-13 09:46 PM
    today i walked to the biggest provider A1 Austria and asked the shop assistant to borrow me a SIM-Card. i put it in the z10 and it worked out of the box....Why? In every A1 mobile phone contract a BB data plan is included. If you use 3, Orange or T-Mobile it is necessary to book the BB plan additionally.
    Conclusion: the new BB devices don't need a special plan, but certain provider force you to buy one to use a Blackberry device.. (<- also known as profit maximization)....
    02-21-13 02:54 AM
    And then there is the bug that won't allow you to save apn settings that you have edited.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-13 03:01 AM

Do not understand why you people change APN settings, and other things to use an unlocked phone on another network. I used my unlocked bold among other phones with many SIMs around the world. You buy a local sim card and put it in. Blackberry Internet and calling/text works/everything. What else????
    02-21-13 03:12 AM
    Do not understand why you people change APN settings, and other things to use an unlocked phone on another network. I used my unlocked bold among other phones with many SIMs around the world. You buy a local sim card and put it in. Blackberry Internet and calling/text works/everything. What else????
    Well the reason is that currently my apn settings are totally wrong and I can't change them. That means the phone won't connect to mobile data.

Clear enough?

Posted via CB10
    02-21-13 03:53 AM
    Conclusion: the new BB devices don't need a special plan, but certain provider force you to buy one to use a Blackberry device.. (<- also known as profit maximization)....
    If the Z10 in Austria only works with the operator A1 sales to retail customers will remain very manageable. I'd rather shoot myself in the foot than go back to A1
    (only unimportant Viennese slang - �rgere Wappler ois A1 wiad ma schwea findn�)

@Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes
    My Bold works fine with any SIM card too but unfortunately we are now talking about the new Z10...
    manniiiii likes this.
    02-21-13 05:48 AM
    Try the new OS Update (leaked), fixed my APN problems

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...device-774407/
    02-21-13 06:00 AM
63 123