Hey crackberry members,

so today i really regret having bought the Z10. Why? I CAN'T use the internet....

First i thought it is my virtual provider, because he uses a foreign network. BUT today i received my "3 - Austria" sim card, and i still cannot connect to the internet (and yes, the phone is unlocked + i did a security wipe!) + the APN settings can not be changed!

seriously Blackberry, WT* are you thinking? I bought a phone for 600� and i cannot use the internet...

manniiii
    02-20-13 07:48 AM
    Do you have the little BB dots beside your network? If you don't, your phone is not connected to the blackberry network and you cannot get online, you need to contact your "virtual" provider... which I have no clue what a virtual provider is...
    austriker, Ben1232 and LewLew23 like this.
    02-20-13 07:54 AM
    doesnt really seem like a BB z10 issue. more like virtual issue

R.S.B
    02-20-13 07:56 AM
    Hey crackberry members,

so today i really regret having bought the Z10. Why? I CAN'T use the internet....

First i thought it is my virtual provider, because he uses a foreign network. BUT today i received my "3 - Austria" sim card, and i still cannot connect to the internet (and yes, the phone is unlocked + i did a security wipe!) + the APN settings can not be changed!

seriously Blackberry, WT* are you thinking? I bought a phone for 600€ and i cannot use the internet...

manniiii
    LMAO! How is this BlackBerry's fault? The Z10 can connect to the internet. The fact you are having problems isn't a fault with the design of the phone, it's either a fault with your phone or with your provider.

Si.
    02-20-13 07:58 AM
    no, no, no...i think you misunderstood me, the first sim card i tried was from a provider who uses the network from someone else, but now i use a different provider - called "3" (operates in UK, Ireland, Austria, Japan..) and it still does not work. Didn't RIM say that a BB option isn't necessary?!
    02-20-13 07:59 AM
    no, no, no...i think you misunderstood me, the first sim card i tried was from a provider who uses the network from someone else, but now i use a different provider - called "3" (operates in UK, Ireland, Austria, Japan..) and it still does not work. Didn't RIM say that a BB option isn't necessary?!
    The Blackberry plan being not necessary is something that is controlled by the carriers. You will need to call your carrier and see what they suggest.
    02-20-13 08:02 AM
    Here in Canada, 2 of the 3 major carriers, Rogers and Telus use the Z10 without having a BlackBerry data plan, BUT Bell Canada, YOU MUST HAVE a blackberry data plan.

So contact your carrier and see what they say...
    02-20-13 08:06 AM
    The Blackberry plan being not necessary is something that is controlled by the carriers. You will need to call your carrier and see what they suggest.
    I agree, don't jump to conclusions until you speak to your provider.
    02-20-13 08:06 AM
    BlackBerry z10 has no BIS anymore. Its Internet connectivity works just like Iphone and android or any smartphone out there ie plug in sim card and play. But you still will get the bb dot visual, which indicates you are connected to the Internet. Yes, BIS is no longer relevant, but you should see that unique bb dot. My z10 even works great in China with a China prepaid card I bought from street.

Posted via CB10
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-20-13 08:07 AM
    Contact 3 network support, they will be able to send the APN settings down to your device.

There does appear to be a re-occurring theme of unlocked devices with certain carrier SIMs greying out the APN dialogs. Does appear to be some remnant of the previous locked state - another possibility could be a full factory reset.
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-20-13 08:08 AM
    Here in Canada, 2 of the 3 major carriers, Rogers and Telus use the Z10 without having a BlackBerry data plan, BUT Bell Canada, YOU MUST HAVE a blackberry data plan.

So contact your carrier and see what they say...
    You don't need a special Blackberry infrastructure plan any more (RIMs official word on the matter) - so if a carrier is trying to charge you for a Blackberry addon call their bluff and escalate it. What they might have done is just provide a standard data plan with a new name.
    02-20-13 08:11 AM
    You don't need a special Blackberry infrastructure plan any more (RIMs official word on the matter) - so if a carrier is trying to charge you for a Blackberry addon call their bluff and escalate it. What they might have done is just provide a standard data plan with a new name.
    Check out this thread... here in Canada, Bell is making users pay for BIS to allow the Z10 to connect.... http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...orking-767922/
    02-20-13 08:15 AM
    i just contacted the 3 service line and this is what they said:
    you have to book the BB option which costs 9€ (my normal contract 10€), then you have to register the phone on a website and after this the phone gets the service books.....
    02-20-13 08:29 AM
    What confuses the issue is that in some countries, there is no difference in the price of a plan whether it has BIS on it or not, such as in Canada. Here the carriers are not using it to charge more, but actually to charge less, as they can provision unlimited services over BIS. For example, I think Bell may be doing this to separate the BBM, BBM video, BBM voice, from just regular smartphone data. What they are going to do with this in the future is unknown.

The complaint is that some people have legacy unlimited or very high limit data plans and the carriers are now using the upgrade to the Z10 as a way to get them off these plans and onto more limited plans. Bell using BIS as the excuse, others using LTE.
    02-20-13 08:31 AM
    you have to book the BB option which costs 9€ (my normal contract 10€), then you have to register the phone on a website and after this the phone gets the service books.....
    So they don't know what they are talking about. Sounds to me, like something is ****ed up with your phone.
    02-20-13 08:38 AM
    Try slotting that sim card in another phone to see if it is really working.Try using another Blackberry phone before you can conclude it is the phone's fault.The phone is new to a lot of service providers and i doubt all their support agents have been trained on how to help with Z10.You should take your phone to the nearest outlet so it can be checked manually.
    02-20-13 08:44 AM
    That is Blackberry 7 and earlier, not Blackberry 10. BB10 don't have BB service books.
    02-20-13 08:47 AM
    yes i know, i told him. but he responded that there is no other way...
    02-20-13 08:48 AM
    Having kind of the same problem. I have a factory unlocked device and the I also can't change the APN settings which are totally incorrect on the phone at the moment, so no mobile data.

And when I change the APN settings and press save and go back and when I return to the APN settings again, the wrong settings are back so the device doesn't save the settings.

I hope this will be fixed with a software update.
    02-20-13 08:50 AM
    FYI for everyone a king ignorant comments above, the op is right it is blackberry fault. They are the ones that decided this bizzare apn locking is a good idea and they need to fix this bs. Yeah, bottom line is this will hurt sales.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-13 08:55 AM
    When a BB10 phone detects the SIM that is given, it will configure it to however the carrier config is set - in this case they have it set to need a BlackBerry plan, currently like how Bell does.

The APN is set by the carrier, and is a carrier requirement.
    raino likes this.
    02-20-13 09:03 AM
    That's really not so. A standard data plan that works with other 4g/3G devices, assuming correct bands are available, should work. Are you still on a BIS / BES plan, perhaps? That would probably cause what you are seeing.
    02-20-13 09:06 AM
    People, what he is seeing is caused by the fact that he cannot change the apn. If we were able to change the apn on demand any data plan should work for the z10. Please do your research before you keep telling the guy to go "talk to his carrier". Z10 should be usable anywhere, but it is not because the apn cannot be manually changed.

Posted via CB10
    jrb-uk likes this.
    02-20-13 09:10 AM
    Strange issue...
    02-20-13 09:17 AM
    Either way, seems to be an issue with your provider. Not the phone. Accepting that will go a long way towards you figuring out how to fix the problem. Good luck!
    02-20-13 11:05 AM
63 123