This has come up before. There are a limited number of swipe commands. They are given to you when you turn the phone on, in tutorial form.

This is a case of bad support from the carriers.

This is like me sitting down at a Mac Air and not understanding where the start button is, or how to get to my task manager. I don't use Mac. If I wanted to, I could learn, and it would be worth it.

Same with BlackBerry. It's not complicated, it just requires you to be ready to learn something new - and that's not a bad thing.
    -RG

Posted via CB10
    meltbox360 likes this.
    03-23-13 12:20 PM
    First to the OP..... thanks for sharing your experience with the z10.... never take heat for being honest..... as for the countless number of threads... it is getting rather tedious... are there outlets like AT&T who drop the ball on many phone launches... but not all.... as we gravitate to negativity...it is easy to judge the launch as such... If AT&T were the only outlet selling the BB phone then I would express the concern others have voiced...but they are not.... the truth will be told when all the carriers enter the game and in the end it will be sales that determine it.... Reading all the antidotal stories.... you would think this only happens to BB... It does not... Many smartphones have faced the same issues... What will sell BB10 is the user experience and the sharing it with others...
    RowdyGinger likes this.
    03-23-13 12:25 PM
    all you have to do is swipe up the word Bowater from the space bar button. if you will be using this word a lot then i suggest adding it to your dictionary. its not that hard.

"If Blackberry intends to do well in the USA, they need to be much more aggressive about getting the sales team properly trained for the device and willing to show customers the basics..."
    It is not Blackberry it is the carriers who need to send their CEO on "Undercover Boss" so that they can actually see what is going on in their stores.
    I am disappointed with the Z10 keyboard. Try typing "Bowater" and then add a space and go on to the next word. Blocking out the space key and trying to make you type a word that you do not want is a useless and time consuming feature. I hope in an OS update they fix it or let the user turn it off.
    03-23-13 01:42 PM
    Went to try your suggestion but now it has automatically allowed Bowater as a word. So now I will have to wait for the next word that it won't let me use to try it. Thank!
    03-23-13 03:27 PM
    Understood. You did add the caveat 'for me, anyway' in your comments about they virtual keyboard, but it sounds to me like your belief is slightly stronger than that.

I would strongly disagree about the the first sentence quoted above. I think that it is the touchscreen. I think that if they had a World Championship of smartphone typing, the winner would be a 15 year-old girl on a virtual keyboard. I think this because of my experience on it. Way more physical work is required to depress a key than to tap a screen.

Anyhow, this is taking away from the more important point of your post, with which I fully agree. A lot of people are reporting no BBRY presence in-store. I'm waiting to see if they at least got some people in big visible stores in the big cities.
    So, you need big thumb muscles to push a little button on a phone? LOL. Think about it this way, on a touchscreen you need to lift your finger completely off the screen before moving to the next button. You can't "drag" your thumb or it'll read things you don't intend. On a physical keyboard, on the other hand, you don't need any lift at all, you simply press and move to the next letter and press. Much less actual movement needed to type on a physical keyboard than on a touchscreen. The amount of super Arnold muscle power needed to push a button on the keyboard is so inconsequential it's hardly worth even thinking about...
    03-24-13 08:23 PM
    "If Blackberry intends to do well in the USA, they need to be much more aggressive about getting the sales team properly trained for the device and willing to show customers the basics..."
    It is not Blackberry it is the carriers who need to send their CEO on "Undercover Boss" so that they can actually see what is going on in their stores.
    I am disappointed with the Z10 keyboard. Try typing "Bowater" and then add a space and go on to the next word. Blocking out the space key and trying to make you type a word that you do not want is a useless and time consuming feature. I hope in an OS update they fix it or let the user turn it off.
    Ok, as addressed many times already, I don't mean they are directly involved in teaching the sales teams, I'm saying they need to make sure the people selling their phones are properly training their sales team.. Ok, seriously, I'm going to edit the original post because I'm getting sick of explaining this so many times over...
    03-24-13 08:26 PM
    thats not true. before i moved to touch screen phones, i had the BB curve and BB Bold 9000. the speed I could type on this thing was ridiculous. not only that but it got to the point that i could type on the phones keyboard without even looking at the keys.
    Agree. I typed on my 9930 without looking. Getting used to this touch screen will take me some time. Love the swiping though.

Posted via CB10
    wasabiGT and Umedon like this.
    03-24-13 09:30 PM
    The people working at the At&t stores don't work for Blackberry.
    And maybe they need to use the device more, to know more about it.
    I went to 3 vzw corporate stores today, best answer I got was "will be available sometime next month". One girl admitted that don't have a clue about the new bb.
    03-24-13 09:45 PM
    Those saying that some don't know how to use the phone. True. But I also know people who need help buying or even looking for apps on idevices. There is a group of people who simply do not and will not get technology. And then therebis the fact that windows 7 is quite a complex beast and when they tried to simplifybit with 8 peoole raged over it. You cannot please everyone, BlackBerry is not targeting the demographic you described. I would also say the majority of the market doesn't fit in that category anymore either. Now most people can figure out any device if they take five minutes. I mean a whole 300 seconds and not the five minutes people believe they take which is closer to two minutes, sometimes less.
    03-25-13 01:16 AM
    BlackBerry can have the best phone in the Galaxy but right now its success (in the US) is in the hands of the carriers, or should I say the sales reps...
    I went to pick up my Z10 from Bestbuy Mobile on launch day and I felt like I'm the underground, now this is Los Angeles I'm talking about, no sign, no stand and the one demo is in the pocket of one of the sales guys. While I was completing my purchase, 3 middle age to older couples got android phones shoved in their face by the sales reps who were demonstrating with their own personal androids... so right now, at least in the US we are a niche and not more then that, we know what we want, but most people buy the phones that the reps recommend, and most of the time it is not a BlackBerry. I've been a BlackBerry man for a long time and I love my Z, it's a great phone that will get better, but for it to succeed (in the US) there is much to be done in the actual battle ground.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-13 01:32 AM
    i watched vids but yeah there is some stuff im not to familiar with. but ive got the basics so thats not going to stop me, infact Im looking forward discovering all the cool features.

Anyway, this old chap said he wanted to get in to the smartphone market, sounds to me he has no experience with anything and tbh he would have trouble with android or ios. I dont use any of those much but we have iphones and ipads for work. I struggle to work some features. I actually had a phone on silent by the switch on the side, had no idea about it. was going through the settings trying to figure out wtf was going on. after a couple of days i eventually asked someone who flicked the switch

Anyway my point is, not knowing stuff about a platform if youve never used it before is not exclusive to bb10

Android i never had used except only briefly, i would have nfi. but isnt working stuff out half the fun?
    03-25-13 01:44 AM
    Apparently Citi analyst Jim Suva wrote that

...checks revealed "shockingly low support by AT&T with extremely limited signage & more signage for Samsung & Apple products," as well as poor product placement, a lack of knowledge on the device, and a surprising low amount of inventory. "In summary, the initial Z10 in the US is a disappointment and a stark contrast to the successful Europe & Canada launches"
    03-25-13 09:14 AM
    type "Bowater" a second time and the phone has already started to learn....then tap on it and add it to your dictionary. Next time you type it it will work fine......now keep using that word and soon if you accidentally type "Nowater" it will correct it to "Bowater"!!!

Ahhhhh.....the learning BlackBerry. Smarter than the average phone (said in Yogi Bear voice)
    03-25-13 11:13 AM
    what apps are those?

Here is what BB needs to do ASAP! They need to get apps on the device now! Get android playtime updated ASAP with jelly bean! And finally get BBM out on apple devices so that the device can reach out to the masses on theses devices. We all know time is of the essence. 3 action items now!!
    03-25-13 11:20 AM
    Don't like virtual keyboard? Get the Q10. That is why they're releasing one afterall.. for those who just can't live without it. The z10 is for users coming from other platforms as well as current BlackBerry users who prefer the larger screen while having an equally desirable typing experience, even though it is slightly not as good as physical, but still way better than other virtuals.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-13 12:00 PM
40 12