If its the carrier stack, most likely the leaks are using the old carrier stacks, so they wouldnt necessarily fix the problem (that is a guess not fact) and that would make sense. It could also be how the carrier stack is updating or not updating properly. Back in the day on Verizon I would dial *228 to update roaming info on ye-old dumb phone, how do they push that same type of update to a smart phone? Sooo many possibilities if its the carrier piece. I feel bad for the team(s) trying to chase down this nightmare.
    05-14-13 12:22 PM
    Maybe the Z10 owners in other parts of the world can monitor their phone and see if the rebooting still persists with the new 10.1 update?
    05-14-13 12:37 PM
    Kevin is TIGHTLY integrated with BB and seems he could offer some insight to all the rebooting.
    05-14-13 01:09 PM
    Kevin is TIGHTLY integrated with BB and seems he could offer some insight to all the rebooting.
    A reliable statement in this issue would be highly appreciated. I would like to base my decision on how to procede with the z10.
    Yes, BB10 is most refreshing mobile OS I have experienced so far. In my opinion it is by far superior to the rest on the market. But the best is not good enough if it is not reliable. I do not care about apps, social media integration and so on. I just want this device to sync via active sync, provide some mobile browsing and last but not least what it is really meant to, to place phone calls and to be reached while on the move. This device does this with style, things I missed on android pp.. I am also a long term BB User and was always pleased with devices, but then the torch arrived which finally let me (and btw the rest of our company) drop on BB. Every cheap android phone sadly is more reliable than my (already second) Z10.

Dont get me wrong, I like BB, I know other people here do not have these troubles, but still the rebooting issue will be the only criterion to hold or drop it. Believe me, I do not want to drop it but if this gets not adressed properly in time there will be no other choice for me
    05-14-13 01:39 PM
    This is not against the op, or calling them out.

We have heard posts like this many times. If we had $1 for every post about what a rep said or I head this, we'd be rich.

And the reboots are not isolated to tmo
    And there are many more people not having problems. I find it difficult to believe it's a software issue, as we would all be having it.
    Not neccessarily at all. Different devices have different hardware (such as different antennas etc...). There are 4 Z-10 models, each with slightly or vastly different hardware: 2 of the Z10 models use the Texas Instruments OMAP 4470 platform which uses a dual-core ARM Cortex-A9 CPU, while the other two use the Qualcomm Snapdragron S4 Plus platform (which uses a dual core Krait CPU). So they don't even use the same CPU. Also, the Qualcomm and TI platforms use totally different graphics processors. A piece of OS or other software may be an issue for one model, and not another.

Personally I think that by a huge margin the problem is almost undoubtedly software. I would be sincerely blown away with surprise if it was not software.

Also, if two phones have 2 random reboots a day, then a heavy user may notice, while a light user may not (since the Z10 just reboots quietly after it crashes, so unless you're looking at your phone when it happens you may never notice it).
    Last edited by mnc76; 05-14-13 at 06:33 PM.
    05-14-13 06:19 PM
    The explanation is simple - the implementation of cellular protocols is different between the different networks, and in some cases the underlying software version and glitches can vary even between adjacent towers on the same carrier. You are one of the lucky users who live on the Canadian carriers which should have seen the most testing by proximity and easy access for a Canadian manufacturer. In contrast the US networks couldn't care less, and from many reports would be happy to see BlackBerry fail so testing access was probably very limited.
    Really? The US carriers want to see bb fail? I'd love to see some proof of that. Same with the argument that the US carriers are slow to push updates just to hurt bbry. Makes perfect sense they would rather deal with upset customers, countless tech support calls, and returns rather than just releasing a new os provided by bbry.

Rogers has less than 10 million subscribers, vzw is pushing 100 million. Wonder which one has more to gain or lose?
    05-14-13 06:52 PM
    To those with rebooting phones, take the sim card out and use it on wi-fi. Does it still reboot?
    05-14-13 07:27 PM
    To those with rebooting phones, take the sim card out and use it on wi-fi. Does it still reboot?
    That's been asked and answered numerous times. Yes.
    05-14-13 07:37 PM
    That's been asked and answered numerous times. Yes.
    Didn't know you were answering on behalf of everyone
    05-14-13 08:06 PM
    Didn't know you were answering on behalf of everyone
    I wasn't, but thanks for thinking I was.
    05-14-13 08:14 PM
    If it is a random occurance, how am I going to yank out the sim of my business phone and wait 36 hours to see if it reboots during that time?

Z10 via T-Mobile (10.1.0.1762)
    05-14-13 10:49 PM
    Not that I doubt anybody but it boggles my mind that some people's phones randomly reboot and some people's (like mine) don't have any problems. Same hardware, same software, why would there be such a big difference?

Mine has rebooted maybe 4-5 times in about 6 weeks but most of the time when I'm trying to use Maps, not randomly or repeatedly at am. I can tell because it says uptime is like 7 days and that was the last time I rebooted it myself.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-13 11:03 PM
    What does the uptime say now on 10.1? Lol
    05-14-13 11:05 PM
    I have a T-Mobile Z10 running on .85 os. I've had the contacts issue and I think I've had an NFC issue, but that's it, to be honest.

What I'm about to say here is 100% true and I have a post card in my possession sent by T-Mobile themselves that proves it. T-Mobile was forced to come to a compromise in regards to some confusion that came about from the new way they sell phones, and they decided to let people return their phones, no questions asked, for a full refund which includes the down payment for the new phone.

I bought my phone a week or two after the Z10 release, and I apparently qualify for this refund even though I am way out of the return window. If you think you are within the same window I'm in and you have not received this letter from T-Mobile, I suggest you contact T-Mobile and get rid of the piece of crap device you're complaining about, and go be happily ever after with a different phone.

Posted from my T-Mobile Z10, no longer on the Sprint Meh network.
    05-14-13 11:23 PM
    I think the RR'S are caused by apps. I have noticed the reboots after downloading certain apps. The ported ebay app being the worst. Once I deleted that, the reboots diminished after that. I went for a couple of weeks with no reboots until I recently downloaded the game 6 guns. After downloading that game the reboots immediately returned. Once it settled in, I catch 1-2 reboots per day

Posted via CB10
    05-14-13 11:39 PM
    Why do I feel like this is more of a (mainly) US carrier supplied/provided packet routing issue that also coincides with how the OS handles it that may be causing the random reboot issue?
    05-17-13 08:24 AM
    Why do I feel like this is more of a (mainly) US carrier supplied/provided packet routing issue that also coincides with how the OS handles it that may be causing the random reboot issue?
    A Canadian here on Rogers.

I never had any random reboots (at least any that I noticed) for the first month or so. Now almost every night I wake up to a notification and notice my phone is no longer in bedside mode. (I hook up to the charger that shipped with the phone and use it as my alarm clock.)

I am going to go back to an old school alarm clock and charge the damn phone in another room. Shame this, cause it is a wonderful device in every other way.

Rogers has told me to do a complete wipe and reload through BB link. I'll try that on the weekend.
    05-17-13 08:50 AM
    Not that I doubt anybody but it boggles my mind that some people's phones randomly reboot and some people's (like mine) don't have any problems. Same hardware, same software, why would there be such a big difference?

Mine has rebooted maybe 4-5 times in about 6 weeks but most of the time when I'm trying to use Maps, not randomly or repeatedly at am. I can tell because it says uptime is like 7 days and that was the last time I rebooted it myself.

Posted via CB10
    Thus the random reboots are most likely being cause by many factors, defective hardware, corrupt os, corrupt apps etc. So everyone's reboot issue doesn't necessarily need the same solution.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-13 02:48 PM
    Thus the random reboots are most likely being cause by many factors, defective hardware, corrupt os, corrupt apps etc. So everyone's reboot issue doesn't necessarily need the same solution.

Posted via CB10
    Highly unlikely.

After much testing on my own I am essentially convinced that the reboots are caused by a deadlock in the network stack. I am becoming increasingly convinced that the deadlock is being caused by a locking problem in the radio code -- but I am not yet completely sold on that.

1720/1721 (OS/radio) for GSM/HSPA+ users appears to be much more stable than the later leaks. More-importantly I can now update radios and firmware separately and non-destructively -- downgrading the OS to 1720 did not change behavior at all. Downgrading the radio to 1721, however, has resulted in a device that thus far has been stable for me for 24 hours even with the VPN auto-connect turned on -- a usage pattern that on the later leaks would result in 3-4 resets a day and going in and out of WiFi range could provoke one within a few minutes, along with myriad other bad behavior (e.g. WiFi APs disappearing, VPN connections refusing to come up even though the server has passed authentication and actually has the link marked up with routes installed, etc.)
    05-17-13 04:09 PM
    If your device isn't random rebooting you are lucky, you have a good one. Looks like there is something wrong with the hardware and same defect causes similar problems whatever your carrier. Unfortunately, this is a problem worldwide, not just with Verizon or only in US. I remember when I replaced my Storm 4 times in 2011 due to screen problem. Finally exchanged with a Bold.
    05-17-13 04:30 PM
    I am with Tmobile after a couple of weeks I too experienced reboot issues. I immediately searched the threads here and learned certain apps were causing this to occur. I uninstalled those apps and paid attention. I haven't had another reboot since. Also I have lots of apps loaded no problems so far. Mostly all of the apps have been updated since launch so I'm experiencing better battery life and performance overall on my device. I'm not running 10.1 at all. Guys give the phone a chance. I knew what I was buying when I went to the store to make my purchase. This phone is amazing. Read the threads there are some solutions that will fix your problems back track and watch how the device responds with new apps and updates. Uninstall if there are problems. Good luck

Posted via CB10
    05-17-13 10:40 PM
    Lol....
    What it is and actually the leaked 1880 seems to not reboot remember all leaks have no carrier bloat ware.

Carrier issue usa only in the USA lmao

Posted via CB10
    05-17-13 10:44 PM
    I can fix your reboot issues

Just move to Canada and use rogers network.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-13 10:46 PM
    Somebody in another thread made a good argument that it might be the US radios, which makes since considering that no Canadians have this problem
    There are a whole lot of Canadians with this problem. Try a search here.
    05-17-13 11:26 PM
    Leaks are fixed for many as of OS 2342.

I'd suggest looking over here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=811099

Posted via QNX 8.0.0 MSM8960_V3.2.1_F_R070_Rev:19 armle
    06-07-13 10:09 AM
100 ... 234