I never buy phones on contract because I don't like being tied to a carrier. However, I really want to support BB and purchase a BB10 device when released on Verizon. To keep it affordable I'll have to buy it on contract which means I'll be stuck with it for 2 years. That's an eternity for a phone geek like me. Does anyone know when the next BB10 devices are slated to release? If I'm going to be stuck with it for 2 years I'm wondering if I should just wait until the next version is released. Give them time to work out kinks, etc.
    03-12-13 11:24 AM
    BB has said there will be 6 new devices this year. Z10 and Q10 are the first two. there are articles/blogs about Sprint waiting for the next BB touchscreen this summer. This might be the rumored Aristo which is alleged to be a high spec device (compared to the Z10). if we assume that the Aristo will also sport a keyboard model that gets us to four. There have also been rumors of lower tier models for the emerging markets again assume two models and there are your six devices for the year.
    The Playbook was the testbed for the OS. the Z10 is the testbed for the mobile computing push. I'm expecting a lot of updates and tweaks. they have already updated the Z10 based on real world feedback and we haven't even seen a US release yet.
    my advice (worth what you are paying me for it) wait until the summer. prices will start to come down as the initial frenzy wears off (you might be able to buy one from some other phone geek who is moving on to the next thing).
    I'm not due for an upgrade on my contract until the end of 2013. at that point, BB will be proven one way or the other, the kinks will be worked out, and the next series of phones will be available. sometimes you have to have a little bit of patience to get what you really want.
    Utkarsh and eagletreo like this.
    03-12-13 12:05 PM
    Some good points, however with technology. . . . the next thing is always just around the corner. If you wait until Summer, then the next thing might be 'rumoured for spring'. You then wait until spring, and there will be something around the corner for winter. . . .

It's up to you, obviously, but if you get the Z10 or Q10 when you want it, you will always have the option of selling it to subsidize your purchase of the next big thing, whenever it gets released.

Just my 2 cents
    03-12-13 12:15 PM
    I'm hoping they don't bring the Aristo device out this year (never thought I'd say that). Not because I don't want it, but because I think it's not really fair to ask your loyal customers to pay for a "flagship" device twice in a single calendar year. If a flagship device can't last a single calendar year without still being relevant, well, that says something. And I actaully do think the z10 can last until early 2014 as a flagship device, especially if the OS improvements continue at the rate they're at now, and if BB10 continues to be embraced by more and more developers.

As for the next devices? I suspect we'll see two "curve" (mid market) devices coming in the next 4-6 months (one full touch and one qwerty), and then a new OS10 playbook (in both a 7" and 10" variety). I have absolutely zero information to corroborate any of this, I just see this roadmap as something that makes 'sense' to me.
    03-12-13 12:30 PM
    Aristo (if it ever come) is with bigger screen! So that would be the same as samsung's galaxy s3 or 4 and samsung's note 2 or 3. So everything is okay there, we want phone with bigger screen!!
    03-15-13 05:48 PM