I have been an iPhone user on and off pretty much since the 3gs and I am also an unashamed apple fan and own an iPad air a couple of macs oh and my iPhone 5 which is sitting in my draw while I procastinate over whether to cash in on it or not.

I have however also been a Blackberry user over the years from the original curve to the leather-backed Bold, various work blackberrys and finally a spell on BB7 with the 9900. So whilst I am an apple fan I do have a soft spot for Blackberry and have missed many of the features, I have been happy with my iPhone(s) and the 5 is a terrific device recently though I have become more and more tempted to try something else. iTunes is no longer the tie to the apple ecosystem that it once was and I have waited...and waited for apple or some clever jailbreak developer to come up with an equivalent of the unified message box that all of my BBs have offered....I'm still waiting and am not hopeful so when I saw Z10s at 149 at Carphonewarehouse I thought I'd give BB10 a go, I have installed the latest leak and am using snap. 3 weeks in and here are my thoughts for those who are interested.

- The hardware is nice. I have the white one, it feels nice in the hand, gives the illusion of an edge to edge screen (when the screen is off lol) and I like the size.

- IMO though the iPhone 5 is a nicer phone in the hand and the Z10 lacks that premium feel BUT, the Z10 feels more robust. I have already dropped it twice, not from a screen shattering height but enough to put a dent or chip in the iPhone's surround. No sign of anything with the Z10

- I really like BB10 (mostly) I love how everything feels so integrated e.g. dropbox is right there in the file explorer. Battery life is ok, not great but comparable to what I was getting on the apple device so all ok.
    - It plays nicely with my icloud email, contacts and calendar which is something my previous BBs did not.

- I love the HUB. Sorry but I do not see this as anything new as all my BBs have had it but I love it. Being honest it is the one reason I decided to give the Z10 a go and I have not been disappointed as a messaging device it beats the iPhone all ends up.
    - Ah! LED notifications I missed you! With hub+ installed I can see if that new message is an email, whatsapp, sms etc... without touching the phone. Small things but this is a feature I missed without realising it.
    - Many of the apps that I need are there, work well and appear native

However..

The overall lack of apps is an annoyance, I have installed snap which helps but thanks to the play services requirement compatibility is hit and miss and there are a number of apps that I used regularly on my iPhone that I cannot get working. There are alternatives to some but I am still unsure how big an issue this will be for me as time goes on. It is more the sense that when a new app comes out there is a good chance there will not be a BB10 version. I was hoping that the official 10.2.1 was going to bring proper android support but BB seem to have poo poo'd that idea so who knows how long this will continue? I am of the opinion that BB10 is never going to get the widespread support we'd all like so I think android apps is the only hope really long-term. Let's see what happens on the 28th I guess.

I all for backing the under dog (the reason I went apple all those years back) but I do have an overwhelming sense of backing a losing horse, so I am still using the Z10 and am really enjoying using it I am though probably not convinced enough yet to cash in on my iPhone.
    niss63 likes this.
    01-22-14 07:13 AM
    I have been an iPhone user on and off pretty much since the 3gs and I am also an unashamed apple fan and own an iPad air a couple of macs oh and my iPhone 5 which is sitting in my draw while I procastinate over whether to cash in on it or not.

I have however also been a Blackberry user over the years from the original curve to the leather-backed Bold, various work blackberrys and finally a spell on BB7 with the 9900. So whilst I am an apple fan I do have a soft spot for Blackberry and have missed many of the features, I have been happy with my iPhone(s) and the 5 is a terrific device recently though I have become more and more tempted to try something else. iTunes is no longer the tie to the apple ecosystem that it once was and I have waited...and waited for apple or some clever jailbreak developer to come up with an equivalent of the unified message box that all of my BBs have offered....I'm still waiting and am not hopeful so when I saw Z10s at 149 at Carphonewarehouse I thought I'd give BB10 a go, I have installed the latest leak and am using snap. 3 weeks in and here are my thoughts for those who are interested.

- The hardware is nice. I have the white one, it feels nice in the hand, gives the illusion of an edge to edge screen (when the screen is off lol) and I like the size.

- IMO though the iPhone 5 is a nicer phone in the hand and the Z10 lacks that premium feel BUT, the Z10 feels more robust. I have already dropped it twice, not from a screen shattering height but enough to put a dent or chip in the iPhone's surround. No sign of anything with the Z10

- I really like BB10 (mostly) I love how everything feels so integrated e.g. dropbox is right there in the file explorer. Battery life is ok, not great but comparable to what I was getting on the apple device so all ok.
    - It plays nicely with my icloud email, contacts and calendar which is something my previous BBs did not.

- I love the HUB. Sorry but I do not see this as anything new as all my BBs have had it but I love it. Being honest it is the one reason I decided to give the Z10 a go and I have not been disappointed as a messaging device it beats the iPhone all ends up.
    - Ah! LED notifications I missed you! With hub+ installed I can see if that new message is an email, whatsapp, sms etc... without touching the phone. Small things but this is a feature I missed without realising it.
    - Many of the apps that I need are there, work well and appear native

However..

The overall lack of apps is an annoyance, I have installed snap which helps but thanks to the play services requirement compatibility is hit and miss and there are a number of apps that I used regularly on my iPhone that I cannot get working. There are alternatives to some but I am still unsure how big an issue this will be for me as time goes on. It is more the sense that when a new app comes out there is a good chance there will not be a BB10 version. I was hoping that the official 10.2.1 was going to bring proper android support but BB seem to have poo poo'd that idea so who knows how long this will continue? I am of the opinion that BB10 is never going to get the widespread support we'd all like so I think android apps is the only hope really long-term. Let's see what happens on the 28th I guess.

I all for backing the under dog (the reason I went apple all those years back) but I do have an overwhelming sense of backing a losing horse, so I am still using the Z10 and am really enjoying using it I am though probably not convinced enough yet to cash in on my iPhone.
    Thank you for your post. Although I love my Q10, I can't argue with anything you said.
    01-22-14 07:23 AM
    I agre 100% with you on your observations.

BlackBerry has a big issue with apps and 10.2.1 does not resolve it.
    Snap is a workaround that makes it so-so OK.

My impression is, that BlackBerry still bets on their own app store and the latest addition is to allow Android developers upload .apk files directly. This makes their work almost painless ... well ... after they have checked if the app uses any unsupported Android api or services.

I don't blame BlackBerry for this approach. If they gave up BB World and make a full Android implementation the HW business would *never* make money. Margins on devices are very low and the additional revenue of selling apps (and possible music and movies) is nescessary.

Just look at Android: Only Samsung is able to make a decent profit and they more or less own the Android market.

Google don't care as long as they make their 30% profit on app sales and can continue to harvest user data to target ads to specific users (or as they try to make you think "To give the best app experience").

IMHO BlackBerry miscalculated the way they should handle application development. They made tools for Flash, HTML5, Native and Android. The idea was to have "any developer on board" but it really made things messy and now they are forced to maintain a lot of development tools. Looking ahead I assume only a few developers cares for writing native BB10 apps. The marketshare does not justify it and even if BB10 made a 10% market share - why bother when you can easily port/modify an existing Android app?

The fight for #3 seems to be in the favor of Microsoft/WP8. Microsoft simply has a LOT of money to throw at the platform, where as BlackBerry really has to be carefull how to spend their money. BlackBerry seems to continue to make decent products, running a great and stable OS and providing good features for being productive. This is probably the niche market they will stay in for the time being.
    01-22-14 07:38 AM
    I'm glad to hear
    I have the same feeling.
    Z10 have somethin that don't have ios and android

Posted via CB10
    01-22-14 07:50 AM
    Maybe the white Z10 is not as nice as the black Z10, which I have but I have never liked the design and look of the iPhones, because it was similar to the iPod Touches that I had bought for my kids.

I look beyond apps in the consideration of my daily communication device. The ease of swapping out batteries, expandable memory, hdmi port, universal charging ports, tough build quality, blue tooth that truly pairs with other devices, NFC which I use with the tag in my car are some of the actual useful features that I need in my daily life as a busy individual with an active family.

I would not sell your iPhone if I were you, because apps since to be your main focus and the Z10 may not fit your actual needs if you overlook the other aspects of the phone. We can only hope that the app situation improves since BB10 is a viable device for a lot of individuals who would love a well rounded device.

BB Uniq BB Bold -Z10 with 1925
    01-22-14 07:59 AM
    Maybe the white Z10 is not as nice as the black Z10, which I have but I have never liked the design and look of the iPhones, because it was similar to the iPod Touches that I had bought for my kids.

I look beyond apps in the consideration of my daily communication device. The ease of swapping out batteries, expandable memory, hdmi port, universal charging ports, tough build quality, blue tooth that truly pairs with other devices, NFC which I use with the tag in my car are some of the actual useful features that I need in my daily life as a busy individual with an active family.

I would not sell your iPhone if I were you, because apps since to be your main focus and the Z10 may not fit your actual needs if you overlook the other aspects of the phone. We can only hope that the app situation improves since BB10 is a viable device for a lot of individuals who would love a well rounded device.

BB Uniq BB Bold -Z10 with 1925
    I actually think it is because apps are not my main priority that I am still using the Z10 as a messaging device it is top notch. We all though have apps that we use to make out lives easier and not having them is a pain.

There is also the concern that is side loaded apps stop working for example one app I use is the tesco grocery one and I had a sideloaded copy working just fine, yesterday though when I started it I got a 'this version is unsupported please upgrade' message and the new upgraded version from snap just hangs. So it forced me to upgrade and now it does not work at all!

This app is not important to me but is just an example, It seems that sticking with an older working side-loaded app which I assumed I would be able to do may not be always be possible.
    01-22-14 09:04 AM
    M

Posted via CB10
    01-22-14 09:11 AM