will Viber sideloaded work well on 10.2? i have locked official runtime. Thanks.
    11-06-13 08:24 PM
    What are the productivity apps on android? I am not arguing that there's none, just wondering.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-13 08:26 PM
    What are the productivity apps on android? I am not arguing that there's none, just wondering.

Posted via CB10
    I'll be here all day. Pick any productivity/business app category and compare blackberry's best to Android's.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
    11-06-13 08:35 PM
    As adults, we can speak without shielded language, no?LOL.
    1. There are users on CrackBerry who are not adults.
    2. The fact that you're an adult doesn't mean you should swear.
    3. The shielding is done automatically by CrackBerry.

Q10 and Canadian all the way! Q10SQN100-3/10.2.0.1791
    11-06-13 08:42 PM
    I have a few things to say.

1. Don't listen to all the nay sayers about "viruses" and "privacy" concerns. Viruses are really only a problem if you decide to start downloading and sideloading apps or installing suspicious apps in the AppStore. If you download the most popular apps. you won't have virus issues at all. As for privacy, yes privacy is worse on Android than BB but that's because Google is a company that relies on advertising. They use your info to serve you better ads. They're not spying on you because they want to keep tabs on you. They're trying to just serve you better ads. You also can control that stuff through their dashboard.
    2. Android doesn't have hub exactly, but the have the window shade notification system. It's not as good, but it works just fine.
    3. The pluses of BB10 vs Android: Better multitasking, and the Hub.
    4. The cons: Not many apps. Less functionality (Android has more features and many of them simply work better. Android voice recognition is far superior).
    5. The choices of Android phones: There's millions of different phones, but I'll go over them more in the next section.

Phones:

HTC One: The nicest build quality hands down (this is what made all the critics adore it and having played with many Android phones, it's true). Loud front facing stereo speakers. Also the camera takes good low light pictures. Disadvantage: No removable storage or battery. Camera is only 4mpx.

LG G2: Screen has ridiculously small bezels. Battery is huge but phone has a slim profile. Good camera. Disadvantage: very plasticky, no removable storage or battery.

SGS4: Has millions of features, many are useless but there are so many you'll probably find some useful. Swappable battery, storage. Good camera. Disadvantage: plasticky and the OS is a bit more bloated feeling.

Note: Stylus integration, huge screen. Swappable battery/storage. Disadvantage: It's seriously huge and it's also plasticky.

Moto X: Customizable in color. Has some of the newest Android features including voice command that learns your voice. No swappable battery/storage. Disadvantage: High end but not top of the line hardware.

Droids: Meh. That's what I've been reading about them. "Not terrible but... meh".
    harlemsfinest27 likes this.
    11-06-13 08:45 PM
    1. There are users on CrackBerry who are not adults.
    2. The fact that you're an adult doesn't mean you should swear.
    3. The shielding is done automatically by CrackBerry.
    1) My point exactly
    2) COMPLETELY agree. I'm able to communicate adequately without.
    3) Not in that case.
    11-06-13 08:48 PM
    Hi all,

I've been a huge Blackberry fan for quite some time. But I'm trying to run a business and the Z10 just isn't cutting it for me. Verizon is giving me the option of switching to an Android S4 and I think I want to take it. I love my Blackberry, but porting apps is taking too much of my time. My only saving grace might be 10.2... if I side load 10.2, might Android apps work better? Or is there still the issue of missing google maps APIs, etc.?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

-Matt
    Matt, grab that S4 with both hands. It's a beast. Oh, ask them if they have the Active version. Dust and water resistant too. Classy build quality, and all the apps in the world.
    11-06-13 08:58 PM
    1) My point exactly
    2) COMPLETELY agree. I'm able to communicate adequately without.
    3) Not in that case.
    Test: ****

3. The above happened automatically with F-you-know-what.

11-06-13 08:58 PM
    Test: ****

3. The above happened automatically with F-you-know-what.

Look at the post that I originally quoted. I added the asterisks when I quoted it.
    11-06-13 09:02 PM
    Look at the post that I originally quoted. I added the asterisks when I quoted it.
    Oh.

11-06-13 09:04 PM
    Go for it. I use both. They both are amazing and far better than IOS7.
    11-06-13 09:17 PM
    I'll be here all day. Pick any productivity/business app category and compare blackberry's best to Android's.
    Well, I kind of hoped that you would mention a couple apps that are superior on android or missing on blackberry based on such detailed description you provided
    I use email, plus maybe a couple of document viewers (pdf, doc, etc) - and my Z10 completely satisfies the need.
    Replying to an email is quite convenient as on-screen keyboard gives suggestions from my dictionary (looks like coming from email messages).

I typed "best android productivity apps" and it brought me to this page. Looking at that list, I see that many apps exist on BB10 platform (cloud services, evernote) or presented in a different form such as LastPass Password Mgr (paid) -> Password Keeper in BB (free).
    Loc22 likes this.
    11-06-13 09:22 PM
    For business, if you need apps, go iPhone, honestly, the best quality apps are built for iPhone. If you don't need apps but you're in search of true multitasking, good organization and speed, stick to BlackBerry and get a 10.2.

Posted via CB10
    Desconocido likes this.
    11-06-13 09:28 PM
    Hi Matt you have to find the phone that works best for you. Make a list of all the important need & list in order. I run 2 business and my Z10 is the best for me. E-mails, security, call clarity, I was recently in Europe and in the south of France. I was the only one that had signal and was receiving calls & e-mails. Good luck in the choice that is best for you.
    Rocking with my Z10 & 64GB Playbook.
    Zidentia likes this.
    11-06-13 09:36 PM
    Well, I kind of hoped that you would mention a couple apps that are superior on android or missing on blackberry based on such detailed description you provided
    I use email, plus maybe a couple of document viewers (pdf, doc, etc) - and my Z10 completely satisfies the need.
    Replying to an email is quite convenient as on-screen keyboard gives suggestions from my dictionary (looks like coming from email messages).

I typed "best android productivity apps" and it brought me to this page. Looking at that list, I see that many apps exist on BB10 platform (cloud services, evernote) or presented in a different form such as LastPass Password Mgr (paid) -> Password Keeper in BB (free).
    A big issue is cross-platform functionality. I need to be able to work on my data from any number of web-connected peripherals (like this week when my device screen went on the fritz). No matter what, I should be able to complete my workflow even when my device is not available). I think the BB ecosystem needs a bit of work in this area.

And then, when the apps are present, they are not as full-functioned (like Evernote).
    11-06-13 09:40 PM

It appears that the z10 fits your needs, however a lot if people expect more from a smartphone in 2013. For example, I'm a huge fan of square (payment), splash top mobile, omnifocus, as well as stocktouch. I appreciate those apps because they make my life easier/productive. Os10 has it share of useful apps, but in all honesty the quality of most the apps are a level or two beneath the other major platforms.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
    vrud likes this.
    11-06-13 09:40 PM
    That's a lot of drama though isn't it? I have always had android phones until I was presented the opportunity to use the Z10 and I love the phone but the fact that we have to wait months and months for the 10.2 update is killing me. It's sad that other countries get the update before here in the states and we have to resort to leaked software and side loading apps. May as well just go back to android. I'm really not used to all of this and to be honest, I've tried to download the leaked versions to my phone but I must be missing something because I can never get it from the computer to the phone.
    11-06-13 09:41 PM
    If you need Android apps to run perfectly, why aren't you on an Android phone?

Simple really. You lose nothng and gain the one thing you seem to need. (bades on the OP)
    11-06-13 11:21 PM
    I would definitely find a new profession

Q10 running10.2.1.641 leak and loving it!
    app_Developer likes this.
    11-06-13 11:28 PM
    Personally I would avoid banking apps over a carrier and certainly not over wifi. It turns out a number of apps, albeit on the iphone, communicate with the server in clear text. Because this is behind the scenes, that is, built into the app, you have no idea if the app is secure. While this problem has been found on iphone apps, there is no reason to assume any platform is immune to this problem.

All my online banking is done on a linux PC with RSA time dependent two factor authentication on a wired connection.

Even if you are depositing checks via a photo, they really don't clear instantaneously. I don't see the value in this. I don't do finances in a hurry on the fly, let alone in public.

Now for Android phones, while people dis those DROID phones, they are cheap and rugged. They have decent radios in them. The iphone radio is terrible, and I think you still can't do voice and data at the same time on Verizon.

My problem with Android most manufacturers don't provide an upgrade. I have an old HTC on Android 2.3. I will give Apple credit for allowing upgrades on older phones. Not back to the first iphone, but at least 2 generations back. But the iphone has plenty of other flaws. (Expensive, no swapable battery, no SDHC slot, funny charger and worse of all, iTunes. )

Posted via CB10
    freedomx20a likes this.
    11-06-13 11:49 PM
    Even if you are depositing checks via a photo, they really don't clear instantaneously. I don't see the value in this. I don't do finances in a hurry on the fly, let alone in public.
    Because you don't have to visit a bank or ATM to deposit a check. You can do it anywhere. That's the value. It saves you a trip to the bank/ATM. I don't think it's essential to have though so I haven't really missed the banking apps.

Now for Android phones, while people dis those DROID phones, they are cheap and rugged. They have decent radios in them. The iphone radio is terrible, and I think you still can't do voice and data at the same time on Verizon.
    Voice/Data at the same time is an issue with CDMA, not an issue with the iPhone. Blackberries could not do voice and data at the same time either on Verizon or Sprint before 4G came along. (Both can now do it). I really don't even think this is an important feature personally. Also no one I know have had that big of an issue with with the iPhone radios so I hardly think they're terrible. I haven't seen reviews complaining about the iPhone radios.

My problem with Android most manufacturers don't provide an upgrade. I have an old HTC on Android 2.3. I will give Apple credit for allowing upgrades on older phones. Not back to the first iphone, but at least 2 generations back. But the iphone has plenty of other flaws. (Expensive, no swapable battery, no SDHC slot, funny charger and worse of all, iTunes. )
    Actually Android manufacturers are getting better at it by reducing the number of phones available. HTC updated the One from 4.1 to 4.2 and just recently to 4.3. They have said they'll upgrade to 4.4 within 3 months. I believe Samsung and LG have said they're committed to releasing 4.4 on their flagships too.

Apple is definitely the king in this regard though. They do have two huge advantages: very few models to have to worry about and the ability to circumvent US carriers and push directly to the devices. As for your iPhone flaws... the only one I really consider an important flaw is iTunes. Can't stand that. Ugh.
    11-07-13 12:11 AM
    You will be back once u go black u will never go back

Posted via CB10
    11-07-13 01:06 AM
    [QUOTE=spacemanspork;9492718]Because you don't have to visit a bank or ATM to deposit a check. You can do it anywhere. That's the value. It saves you a trip to the bank/ATM. I don't think it's essential to have though so I haven't really missed the banking apps.

QUOTE]

OK, but you can just do the check deposits at home. For one thing, banks like to sniff your IP for security reasons. The last time I got hacked, the IP was from Morocco. When I called the credit card company, they asked if I was travelling. Seriously, how many people vacation in North Africa? Previously when I was hacked in the EU, they called me.

Some banks will not VPNs.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-13 01:22 AM
    I have a few things to say.

1. Don't listen to all the nay sayers about "viruses" and "privacy" concerns. Viruses are really only a problem if you decide to start downloading and sideloading apps or installing suspicious apps in the AppStore. If you download the most popular apps. you won't have virus issues at all. As for privacy, yes privacy is worse on Android than BB but that's because Google is a company that relies on advertising. They use your info to serve you better ads. They're not spying on you because they want to keep tabs on you. They're trying to just serve you better ads. You also can control that stuff through their dashboard.
    2. Android doesn't have hub exactly, but the have the window shade notification system. It's not as good, but it works just fine.
    3. The pluses of BB10 vs Android: Better multitasking, and the Hub.
    4. The cons: Not many apps. Less functionality (Android has more features and many of them simply work better. Android voice recognition is far superior).
    5. The choices of Android phones: There's millions of different phones, but I'll go over them more in the next section.

Phones:

HTC One: The nicest build quality hands down (this is what made all the critics adore it and having played with many Android phones, it's true). Loud front facing stereo speakers. Also the camera takes good low light pictures. Disadvantage: No removable storage or battery. Camera is only 4mpx.

LG G2: Screen has ridiculously small bezels. Battery is huge but phone has a slim profile. Good camera. Disadvantage: very plasticky, no removable storage or battery.

SGS4: Has millions of features, many are useless but there are so many you'll probably find some useful. Swappable battery, storage. Good camera. Disadvantage: plasticky and the OS is a bit more bloated feeling.

Note: Stylus integration, huge screen. Swappable battery/storage. Disadvantage: It's seriously huge and it's also plasticky.

Moto X: Customizable in color. Has some of the newest Android features including voice command that learns your voice. No swappable battery/storage. Disadvantage: High end but not top of the line hardware.

Droids: Meh. That's what I've been reading about them. "Not terrible but... meh".
    this is the problem that I have with android :so fragmented and not all the phones will be getting KitKat despite the fact that the phones have the RAM necessary to run the operating system.
    11-07-13 01:33 AM
    well since you are thinking of leaving BlackBerry anyways, why not install a leak with an unlocked android runtime and give it a try? you got nothing to lose anyway at this stage but much more to gain. its pretty much like blackberry running android now with 10.2 or vice versa
    11-07-13 02:27 AM
153 12345 ...