Hi all,

I've been a huge Blackberry fan for quite some time. But I'm trying to run a business and the Z10 just isn't cutting it for me. Verizon is giving me the option of switching to an Android S4 and I think I want to take it. I love my Blackberry, but porting apps is taking too much of my time. My only saving grace might be 10.2... if I side load 10.2, might Android apps work better? Or is there still the issue of missing google maps APIs, etc.?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

-Matt
    harlemsfinest27 likes this.
    11-06-13 09:57 AM
    I'm currently running the official 10.2.0.1791 OS with the unlocked android runtime from 10.2.1.575.
    For me, this is fantastic with all my apps running smoothly and as they should. However, if you feel as though the sideloading is a pain and having potential missing features is a dealbreaker (no settings on Gmaps, Instagram still has typing issues, constant Google Play message with Snapchat), then I'd say go ahead for an android phone. But why get the S4 when you can get the N5, G2, Z1, or Moto X?
    Last edited by theblob; 11-06-13 at 10:04 AM. Reason: messed up a sentence
    Mel25 likes this.
    11-06-13 10:03 AM
    You need to download the leaked 10.2.0.1767 to your phone or use Sachesi to download one of the released 10.2's from another carrier. Once that is done, download the unlocked android runtime that is available on the forums or the updated runtime that is available at BlackBerry World. You will find that the android apps run very well.
    11-06-13 10:04 AM
    I would certainly give 10.2 a try if you have not sideloaded it already. I have VZW as well and I refuse to wait for them. I have had 10.2 for months and you'd be surprised how much better it is. Also, there are tons of sideloaded apps that work too!
    Give it a try before you abandon it. VZW is our worst enemy.
    11-06-13 10:04 AM
    Hi all,

I've been a huge Blackberry fan for quite some time. But I'm trying to run a business and the Z10 just isn't cutting it for me. Verizon is giving me the option of switching to an Android S4 and I think I want to take it. I love my Blackberry, but porting apps is taking too much of my time. My only saving grace might be 10.2... if I side load 10.2, might Android apps work better? Or is there still the issue of missing google maps APIs, etc.?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

-Matt
    I have no issues with the andriod apps i'm running on 10.2.0.1767 (i'm on a q10 though)...that being said, what andriod apps do you use for (for buisness and personal) other posters might have them running, or tried running them and can chime in with their comments.
    11-06-13 10:05 AM
    If you do make the switch, go in with a open mind. If you switch to Android with the mindset that BlackBerry is better, all you'll see is the S4's faults.

If it was me, I'd try to my best to get the LG G2 instead of the S4. Even if it meant paying a little extra money. It is the best smartphone currently available on Verizon in my opinion.
    11-06-13 10:05 AM
    Andorid apps do works nicer in BB OS10.2.
    What apps are you needing to 'port over' for your business? Are you suggesting Google Maps is important for business? FWIW, GM runs great on my Z10.

If it's particular apps that you need, for the business you are trying to run, and BB doesn't have them then its logical to switch to one that offers what you need.
    11-06-13 10:08 AM
    While this is CrackBerry you're asking, don't lock yourself in to one, the moment you do the other looks more appealing.

Anyway, I recommend installing the latest 10.2.0.1791, as everyone in the world except the American carriers has pushed it out.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-13 10:08 AM
    It seems that most people wanting to switch over are using 10.1. I have yet to see this from 10.2 users. I'd assume that it's your saving grace.

Posted with my Q10!
    11-06-13 10:11 AM
    10.2 is better, but 10.2.1 has much more improvements compared to 10.2.
    11-06-13 10:15 AM
    10.2 is better, but 10.2.1 has much more improvements compared to 10.2.
    Although it's still a work in progress.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-13 10:19 AM
    I am on 10.2.0.424 and have installed the unlocked 641 runtime for Android. All my Android apps work perfectly fine. If an app requires you connecting to the Google Play store (ie. purchases for games etc), it ain't happening. At least for me it doesn't, it tries to take me to BlackBerry World and goes nowhere.
    11-06-13 10:38 AM
    What do you need to run your business? Find a phone that does those things and buy it. This is not rocket surgery. If you are running a business I would recommend you purchase a laptop computer.
    Loc22 and Omahahaha like this.
    11-06-13 10:38 AM
    Just a thought, I was very displeased with my android after failing to open (save) a zip attachment via the gmail app and the email app (windows live mail). If I was pondering a move to another OS for work, I'd be very interested by Windows Phone.
    11-06-13 10:39 AM
    I previously used a Torch 9810, great phone. Then I switched to a Galaxy Note 2, not a bad device. None the less the Android device never seemed to get the job done in the straight forward, simplistic and effective fashion that my torch did. I came back to BlackBerry. I currently use a Z10 and have no intentions of making said mistake again. If you can look past all the gimmickry you�ll realize how solid a product BlackBerry delivers. I am a section lead who communicates all day via my mobile device and use it almost like I would any laptop. If you want to be adjusting, downloading, personalizing, rooting, etc., in order to get decent functionality, get an Android device. If you want a no-nonsense get the job done �NOW� device, well enough said ......speaking from experience.
    11-06-13 11:47 AM
    Well Matt, I have both a Z10 and an SIII (at&t). I decided a few days ago to go with the Z10 exclusively. I just got tired of Google doing what it wanted to do with my phone such as forced updates (even rooting does not escape their forced update tentacles and if you use play store it resets your update settings at will), enrollment in programs such as google + without any user choice, farming out mailing list info once gmail gets its claws on them, and other annoyances (some minor) that just ended up with Google being more trouble, and invasive, then it was worth. It is a shame because call quality on the SIII was the best of any cell I ever had. Even better then Z10 and I got more bars in places I frequent on the SIII. I am not a big app person and would never do banking on a mobile phone anyway. I also use a phone mainly for calls and internet/email. I don't use txt. So I opted for privacy and security over yada yada with Google. The apps thing is way overblown for folks like me, and if I was really into apps as a top priority, I would likely own an Iphone.
    Good luck with your decision.
    Omahahaha likes this.
    11-06-13 12:09 PM
    Thank you for all of the replies! It looks like Verizon has the following Android devices within my price range:

LG G2
    Galaxy S4
    Note
    HTC One
    Moto X
    Droid Maxx
    Droid Ultra

Looks like from this thread the G2 is th best of the bunch? I admit I liked that once. The all-metal HTC one looked cool too but not sure how good that one is.
    11-06-13 12:16 PM
    Build quality wise, the One is quite a nice phone and I enjoy the front facing stereo speakers.
    But I messed around with the G2 and it's overall a better phone to use, better camera as well as the battery life is pretty fantastic on the phone too.
    11-06-13 12:26 PM
    Z10 can do everything better than iPhools and Lagdroids. But if you need app ya then you can keep one of them as your 2nd device.
    Hub is not worth losing for them.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-13 12:28 PM
    Thank you for all of the replies! It looks like Verizon has the following Android devices within my price range:

LG G2
    Galaxy S4
    Note
    HTC One
    Moto X
    Droid Maxx
    Droid Ultra

Looks like from this thread the G2 is th best of the bunch? I admit I liked that once. The all-metal HTC one looked cool too but not sure how good that one is.
    I would get LG g2 as a a toy. Screen is feast for your eyes. I wish z30 had that screen only.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-13 12:31 PM

LG G2
    Galaxy S4
    Note
    HTC One
    Moto X
    Droid Maxx
    Droid Ultra

Consider the Droid Maxx. I have the older Razr Maxx HD, and even the battery in my older version lasts forever. You'd be surprised at the benefits of a big battery: it's not just that it lasts longer, it also means you don't have to compromise using the features of your phone (bright screen, bluetooth, NFC, GPS, etc.) to make it last all day. Just turn everything on, adjust your screen brightness for comfort (rather than battery life), and enjoy your device all day.
    ubizmo likes this.
    11-06-13 12:40 PM
    Wow, thanks for all of the quality replies. I did not realize that Android had that many privacy/security issues. That is a big deal to me. And I didn't realize Android didn't have the Hub either.... eek.

I think sideloading 10.2 with the updated runtime is my best bet. What's the best way to do that with the Z10 from Verizon? Are the leaks safe from a virus standpoint?
    11-06-13 12:46 PM
    Can I ask what Android apps you need for your business that you have been having trouble sideloading? It will give you a better indicator if upgrading to 10.2 is better or to just get an Andoird.
    app_Developer likes this.
    11-06-13 12:50 PM
    Wow, thanks for all of the quality replies. I did not realize that Android had that many privacy/security issues. That is a big deal to me. And I didn't realize Android didn't have the Hub either.... eek.

I think sideloading 10.2 with the updated runtime is my best bet. What's the best way to do that with the Z10 from Verizon? Are the leaks safe from a virus standpoint?
    If it loads on a phone, then it's been created, packaged and signed by BlackBerry, and nobody else.

When it comes to loading an OS, you have two options.

One, use Sachesi to download the 10.2 OS from a carrier that's released it (your Verizon Z10 can load OSs from European and North American LTE Z10s, so it's no real problem) and load the files on your phone. No wiping necessary. http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-le...taller-825409/

Or, download an autoloader file, plug in your phone and run it. It wipes your user data and the old OS, and backups may or may not restore properly (depending on how different the old and new OSs are), but it removes any possible problems that would come from the old OS and the new OS not cooperating.
    11-06-13 12:52 PM
    Can I ask what Android apps you need for your business that you have been having trouble sideloading? It will give you a better indicator if upgrading to 10.2 is better or to just get an Andoird.
    I should have better clarified. Because I'm trying to run my business, I wanted to spend less time working to get apps working on my phone. The one main app I really wish I had was Bank Simple. I have it side loaded on my 10.1, but the mobile check deposit doesn't work... the app just gives me an "unknown error" when I hit submit after taking the check picture. I edited AndroidManifest.xml and removed google maps references, so that isn't the issue. Is it possible that upgrading to 10.2 might give me an API that 10.1 doesn't have that would cause that to work better? Having the Bank of America app would help, too.
    11-06-13 12:56 PM
153 123 ...