Hi everyone,

I've been browsing this site for the last 2-3 weeks hoping to learn more about the Z10 as my contract will soon be up, and I want to support a Canadian company. I am an extreme novice in the cell phone arena...I've never had data before, although I've used a BB Torch in the past strictly for texting and calls. My current phone is a Samsung Impact. Doesn't do much, but it's indestructible. Anyway, I'm hoping to get a little help from more tech savvy individuals like yourselves.

My priorities for my new phone:
    1. easy texting - reviews on this site say the Z10 has the best touchscreen keyboard. is this true? does it compare to a physical keyboard? I miss how easy it was to text on the torch.
    2. occasional web browsing, facebook, email, weather - basics
    3. maps - i get lost a lot. I heard there isn't a google maps app in BB10? is it coming/is there an alternative that is good?
    4. nothing overly complicated please! the operating system needs to be simple. i tried android for a day, and it hurt my brain. The integrated BB HUB is spectacular in that sense. Seems to organize everything very simply.
    5. BB having less apps than android/iphone doesn't concern me. I will probably use less than 10 apps in my lifetime.
    6. Battery life would be nice too. I'm used to going days without charging my current phone. I know that's no longer realistic, but still

Questions:
    1. Given the above, is the z10 a good choice? or will it overwhelm a relatively simple user like me? (if not, are there any suggestions you might have? you don't have to show bias towards blackberry ; i kind of like the xperia go because it's nice and small, and indestructible)
    2. Does it use data to keep your phone "ready to receive" facebook notifications/emails? Or does it only use data to access/read/send emails? (i'm not sure how data really works) Essentially, does it take a lot of data to have access to email/facebook/googlemaps throughout the entire day? I just don't want to waste a 3GB data plan I won't need (although it's offered quite cheap through my association)

Sorry, I know that was a lot. Any bit of help would be lovely. thanks!
    02-09-13 02:39 AM
    Hi, thanks for considering the BlackBerry Z10.

Responses to your priorities:
    1. Yes, the touchscreen keyboard is the best bar none. Getting into the text application is extremely easy and you can leave it running at all times, giving you 3 different ways to get to your texts if you want to (BlackBerry Hub, active tile and, lastly, by tapping the icon).
    2. For web browsing, there is no better regular, mobile Browser right now than the one on BlackBerry 10. There are some add-on browsers for other device that have more bells and whistles but for straight-forward browsing experience, there is nothing better.
    3. The built-in Maps app is not really great but updates are planned. You can use the web apps for either Google Maps or Nokia Here. Both work well and can be added to your homescreen.
    4. The system is *significantly* easier than Android and, arguably, even iOS. You can get things done without thinking much about it.
    5. Selection is still growing and not quite as good as on iOS or Android but if you're not already using many apps on other systems, you'll be able to find enough here. Most imporant things are available through the browser even if an app never comes.
    6. Battery life is good but not as good as on a flip-phone. If you keep the display brightness reasonably low and don't go crazy with Bluetooth, Wifi, NFC, etc, you should be able to make it from morning until charging at night just fine.

Answering your questions:
    1. Z10 should be a great choice and BlackBerry definitely thought of people like you when designing both the device and the system. Having a physical keyboard is really great though and if browsing the web is a secondary priority to texting, the BlackBerry Q10 may make more sense for you. Also, the build on the Q10 appears to be tougher. The battery in the Q10 will also be larger, so it should give you longer battery life.
    2. All the things you mention *use* data on BlackBerry as well as iOS, Android and any other device. Sometimes, a carrier will throw some of that in but almost all the time you are using your data allotment. No, you will not run through 3GB if all your doing is email, Facebook and Google Maps reasonably often, even if it's daily. You can also use Wifi where it's available. Also, BlackBerry 10 makes it easy to switch off services and syncing if something is using too much data.

Again, thanks for thinking about getting a BlackBerry 10 device. Let us know if you have more questions.
    02-09-13 04:19 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry! If you end up getting a BB10 phone, make sure you come here often. Smart phones are like learning about any type of technology. You start where you are and learn about one function at a time as you need to. Anything you want to learn or have a problem with you can find the answer here. The CrackBerry Nation are generally a friendly lot. Although the expectation is that a person do their homework by searching to see if the answer already exists in the forums, they are always willing to help out when a person is stuck and can't seem to find what they need. This way you "grow" into your device one step at a time. You won't get overwhelmed and will get way more functionality out of your device.

Good luck with your quest.
    02-09-13 04:52 AM
    Thanks to both of you for your responses, it was really helpful!
    02-09-13 10:42 PM
    Z10 is the best choice because it means you can hang out here with us. And CrackBerry is awesome!!

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    b320 likes this.
    02-09-13 10:54 PM
    Thanks to both of you for your responses, it was really helpful!
    You're absolutely welcome and welcome to CrackBerry. Please don't hesitate to ask more questions here when you get your BlackBerry 10 device.
    02-09-13 10:56 PM
    Welcome. the forums are a lot of fun. to answer a couple of your questions..

data is basically everything you do except voice calls and SMS (texting).

if you do lots of messaging and not much browsing/apps/media then I would suggest something other than the z10. perhaps the Q10 later so that you have a real keyboard. truly even a current bold 9900 is great for that and can run google maps.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    02-09-13 11:53 PM