I've been a long time BlackBerry user, and never have come across a problem such as this. But since I've switched carriers (went from Bell to Telus - 9800 to a Z10) and I've wracked up crazy data usage cuz I can't see if I'm connected to wifi on this thing! I've read all the posts on how I have to keep checking my wifi connection but even when I do that and it says I'm connected I still don't have a symbol by the lte symbol to show I'm connected. Very frustrating! Any help would be great. Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    07-18-13 05:05 AM
    Try turning off your mobile network connection when you think you are connected to WiFi and see if you get the WiFi symbol. How fast is the WiFi you are connecting to? I think its possible that your Z10 will pick the best path for blackberry services and the LTE may be better than your WiFi, not sure about that though. But try turning it off and see what happens. Also what carrier and OS version are you on?
    07-18-13 05:38 AM
    I'm on Telus and my os is 10.1.0.2014 the latest one on this carrier. I've tired turning off the mobile network to see if the little wifi symbol magically appears but alas no. Very OCD about just making sure I have all my symbols being at the top of my home screen like it did on my torch ... I just got this phone and while I knew it was going to use a lot of data I'm sooooo close to switching back just so I can be sure I know when I'm using data or wifi.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-13 05:47 AM
    Well i can say that if you do not have the WIFI symbol on the home screen you are not using WIFI. This may seem stupid but have you tried other WIFI networks? Tried a restart, or full power off and back on?

You may already know but the WIFI symbol will appear where the G,E,3G etc appears. It will replace it when you are connected and using WIFI.

Posted via CB10 on my sweet a** Z10
    07-18-13 06:02 AM
    I'm on Telus and my os is 10.1.0.2014 the latest one on this carrier. I've tired turning off the mobile network to see if the little wifi symbol magically appears but alas no. Very OCD about just making sure I have all my symbols being at the top of my home screen like it did on my torch ... I just got this phone and while I knew it was going to use a lot of data I'm sooooo close to switching back just so I can be sure I know when I'm using data or wifi.

Posted via CB10
    Your misuse of the term OCD is shameful. To confirm WiFi us enabled check the settings menu. Your claim of high data usage on 4G is not supported by the facts. What are you doing to cause the alleged high data usage?

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    07-18-13 06:03 AM
    If wifi is turned on, and you are connected there should be a symbol for it.
    There's no wifi symbol on my Z10-img_00000071.jpg

There should also be a network name in the drop down settings...
    There's no wifi symbol on my Z10-img_00000072.jpg

And also in settings/network connections/ Wi-Fi
    There's no wifi symbol on my Z10-img_00000073.jpg
    If it shows you are connected in settings, try turning airplane mode on/off to reset the radios or doing a full reboot to see if it comes back
    07-18-13 06:04 AM
    kill_9 - no need to flame or get your knickers in a twist... although you are right I shouldn't use the term OCD in that context (my husband actually has moderate OCD ... mostly compulsions ... and managing fairly well with Zoloft). If I offended you then I apologize... but back to the subject at hand...

I've had the phone for 4 days and managed to use up almost a gig of data cuz I was lax at first about checking the connectivity of my wifi. I have used wifi at home and at a few cafes and other public places. Should be saying "used" since I was never really sure what type of connection I was using! I'll try putting the phone in airplane mode and a battery pull, as well as walking around my house waving my phone in the air . I'm not a complete noob with BlackBerry but this is a teeny bit embarrassing!

Posted via CB10
    07-18-13 06:43 AM
    Did the battery pull and that seems to have worked, thanks turbodmac! Just wondering if anyone has had this problem on this phone before?

Posted via CB10
    07-18-13 07:12 AM
    Glad u got it working. Haven't had this issue myself but def had the same concerns as you.
    I went thru major data usage initially and had to actually increase my plan with Rogers.
    Your device will search for wifi and use that as default first if it's able to connect. My first 17 days I went thru 1 gig so I understand the worry everyone goes thru.

On a side note, no need to battery pull anymore causes wear and tear you don't need on the device. Simply press and hold the top button for a full 10 seconds.

Enjoy the device!

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 Oreo
    07-18-13 07:19 AM
    kill_9 - no need to flame or get your knickers in a twist... although you are right I shouldn't use the term OCD in that context (my husband actually has moderate OCD ... mostly compulsions ... and managing fairly well with Zoloft). If I offended you then I apologize... but back to the subject at hand...

I've had the phone for 4 days and managed to use up almost a gig of data cuz I was lax at first about checking the connectivity of my wifi. I have used wifi at home and at a few cafes and other public places. Should be saying "used" since I was never really sure what type of connection I was using! I'll try putting the phone in airplane mode and a battery pull, as well as walking around my house waving my phone in the air . I'm not a complete noob with BlackBerry but this is a teeny bit embarrassing!

Posted via CB10
    I stream Internet radio on my BlackBerry Z10 and data usage remains relatively low. I listened to Coast to Coast radio overnight and usage was way below 1 GB... in the MB class.

If you have 4G or LTE data then switch to the next lower level of service. By default LTE, possibly 4G as well, are more data intensive even if just surfing the World Wide Web.

By the way, when WiFi is active you'll see the usual symbol for WiFi.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    07-18-13 08:57 AM
    Thanks for all the info guys!

It never occurred to me to switch down to 3G. I was excited to see what 4G/LTE was all about. I'm assuming the only change would be how fast the browser works?

I'm really enjoying the Z10. It's such a step up from my torch and I loved that phone. I'm hoping with everything I gathered from this thread that I will be able to use my Z10 as much as I did my torch (never used the computer cuz I could do everything on my BlackBerry.)

Posted via CB10
    bintheredundat likes this.
    07-18-13 10:28 AM
    Ok... so it all looks good. Being my neurotic self, I took some screen caps so I can get the "all clear" from you guys.

Scanned and found this by changing the option under "network technology" -

There's no wifi symbol on my Z10-img_00000056.png

So I switched it to 3G and is showing up on my home screen so I'm good ... right!?

Posted via CB10
    07-18-13 10:42 AM
    Also when connected to WiFi and receiving a good data signal, you should not see LTE/3G/4g/etc icon in the top bar, just the WiFi logo as pictured in the screen cap above.
    07-18-13 12:29 PM