I was wondering if there exists a method one can use to highlight text you want to send to someone, other than using an app? Could this be something we'll see coming in further OS releases? Let me know.

Posted Via Z10 or Q5, depending on my mood
    12-08-13 02:20 PM
    I'm not really getting your meaning, but I believe you highlight text by long pressing it.
    Give more details about your question ...

Posted via CB10 on my Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.1055
    12-08-13 02:28 PM
    As in highlighting it yellow......

12-08-13 02:30 PM
    Easy to do in Docs to Go. Select the text, hit the edit glyph, then hit the highlight icon, then choose your color.

If you want to share it, hit the share button and choose your weapon.
    12-08-13 02:42 PM
    I meant to say while texting or creating emails...to indicate important sections of text. One would think that BlackBerry would have thought of that, since these phone are made to work with.

I shouldn't have to type my text in docs to go, in order to highlight. I should be able to show importance of a sentence or select words by highlighting as I go....

12-08-13 02:52 PM
    I meant to say while texting or creating emails...to indicate important sections of text. One would think that BlackBerry would have thought of that, since these phone are made to work with.

I shouldn't have to type my text in docs to go, in order to highlight. I should be able to show importance of a sentence or select words by highlighting as I go....

In text people usually just CAPS LOCK, never seen a highlighted SMS before.
    12-08-13 02:54 PM
    That's not my point. You should have the option to do so, is what I'm getting at. It would be cool to be able to highlight on the fly, if someone wants to emphasize something RATHER than caps lock....

12-08-13 03:04 PM
    I know you can edit the text color of emails, but I'm not sure the same exists for texts.

Is there a way to highlight text in a Z10, without using an app?-img_00001325.png

Posted via CB10
    curvezzz likes this.
    12-08-13 03:10 PM
    It's not of any importance... there is an abundance of other things BlackBerry needs to implement... this will be at the very bottom

Kah
    curvezzz likes this.
    12-08-13 03:32 PM
    Well some of us like to concentrate on the smaller details I guess. It's called perfection....

12-08-13 03:43 PM
    Rarely ever seen any one use different colors in emails to highlight text but you can do it in BB10 using the Format options on selected text, as Thurask showed above.

SMS texts and BBM don't support that kind of formatting on any platform, just plain text.

Most people just use bold, underline and italics in emails . Not every one in work places can receive emails in HTML format so they may never see the formatting as they would be converted to plain text with no formatting.

Posted via CB10 on Z10 STL100-2 on EE, UK
    Last edited by johnnyuk; 12-08-13 at 05:44 PM.
    12-08-13 03:55 PM
    OP no, highlighted function does not exist when composing mails in the email client. You have to use docs to go or another app. I do understand where you are coming from and I also use this functionality daily in a corporate environment. I guess you are on BES receiving draft portions of documents by mail, where it is not sent as an attachment but pasted directly into the body of your mail, and you are editing directly from the email text body. I also miss that. Let's hope for 10.3 In the mean time use the work around to change the font color or go to another app tondo the editing.
    12-08-13 04:23 PM
    Thanks. I don't work in a corporate environment, though I wish I did. I an just very observant and like to experiment with what's offered at hand in this OS.

Posted via CB10
    12-08-13 04:38 PM
    Let's not act like highlighting texts on your phone is common in a corporate environment. As already stated, not every business allows html formatting with e-mails and docs sent via texts would most likely use some proprietary, secure corporate e-mail/text client such as mine does. The default in the corporate environment is to either bold or italicize, or just have proper business writing acumen where the need for that is minimized.

This is bottom of the barrel stuff here so the wait might be a long one. I believe there is a beta zone where they take these types of suggestions and anyone can join.
    mcguire_michael and awindsr like this.
    12-08-13 04:39 PM
    That's not my point. You should have the option to do so, is what I'm getting at. It would be cool to be able to highlight on the fly, if someone wants to emphasize something RATHER than caps lock....

It's a good idea and a useful one too but texting relies on simple characters going through not formatted text, it would need to pass formatting code and that would start increasing the msg size...I don't know if you understand the technicalities involved but I guess you don't cause you ask the question

I flick! Do you?
    12-08-13 04:56 PM
    It was just a question I had in the back of my mind. I thought it would be neat to highlight text yellow as you create a message.

Seems to me I remember doing this in Hotmail, when composing a message years ago ??

Posted via CB10
    12-08-13 05:25 PM
    Let's not act like highlighting texts on your phone is common in a corporate environment. As already stated, not every business allows html formatting with e-mails and docs sent via texts would most likely use some proprietary, secure corporate e-mail/text client such as mine does. The default in the corporate environment is to either bold or italicize, or just have proper business writing acumen where the need for that is minimized.

This is bottom of the barrel stuff here so the wait might be a long one. I believe there is a beta zone where they take these types of suggestions and anyone can join.
    Out of curiosity, are you perhaps running Mac and iPhone? Pure curiosity. I'm in a Windows environment and part of a multinational corporate on BES. We don't do plain text at all, anywhere.
    12-08-13 05:40 PM
    I will never use an iPhone. No thank you. I also run or have run just about ever version of Windows that was out, at one time or another.

Posted via CB10
    12-08-13 05:46 PM
    The problem here is even if BlackBerry implements this, if your recipient phone doesn't have the same feature, what sense will it make?

CLICK HERE To Join My Music & Poetry Channel. Please&Thanks.
    12-08-13 05:52 PM
    The problem here is even if BlackBerry implements this, if your recipient phone doesn't have the same feature, what sense will it make?

Jes, yes you're right. But is a BES environment all users are able to benefit and opening those mails on your desktop retain the formatting. I can send a formatted group message worldwide to thousands of people in my company, some on desktops and others on smart phones.
    12-08-13 06:05 PM
    Jes, yes you're right. But is a BES environment all users are able to benefit and opening those mails on your desktop retain the formatting. I can send a formatted group message worldwide to thousands of people in my company, some on desktops and others on smart phones.
    We are in a Windows environment, but my reply is in the same vein as Jes. I have received many quoted replies where even bolding does not hold for the recipient. We have also been advised not to use formatting (even for items like signatures) if possible to help save on space.

These are reasons why this is not common in the corporate environment. Not everyone has the same standards of communication.
    12-08-13 06:19 PM
    Don't get me wrong though, I do think a universal implementation of this will be great I think

12-08-13 06:31 PM
    Awesome! I did not know this - just went and played with my email and it types in colours etc. I guess I should have figured it out, - BlackBerry just continually surprises me. (grin)
    Thanks thurask!

I know you can edit the text color of emails, but I'm not sure the same exists for texts.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00001325.png 
Views:	484 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	228158

Posted via CB10
    12-08-13 07:00 PM
    Don't all current smartphones use/allow HTML in emails?

I was actually looking for this feature - would be really nice to have to forward unedited emails to others where you want to highlight just one point. I have felt the need to do this on many occasions.
    01-28-14 05:54 PM