So, I will be upgrading to BlackBerry 10 on day 1. Currently, I am a US-based Verizon customer on my BlackBerry Storm2, and I am no longer on a contract. I will consider switching to AT&T.

I am wondering what tethering options there will be with the Z-10. I had used Tetherbridge on the Storm2, until I lost my original handset this past summer and had to replace it. I didn't get a new phone at that time because I didn't want to be locked into a 2-year deal with BB10 on the way, so I just bought a replacement Storm2 on ebay. In order to activate the Tetherbridge software, I would have had to re-purchase it for my new device, and knowing I would be switching to a brand new BB10 phone in six months, I decided to forego it. I was happy with Tetherbridge, although it required I be connected to my laptop via USB.

So, my question is, what options will I have on BB10? Will it come with native tethering ability, or will I need to do a work-around again because it's a service Verizon or AT&T will want to overcharge me for? If so, will TetherBridge be available on BB10? How about just plain Tether (that one works wirelessly, I believe, but is more expensive)?
    dcburke789 likes this.
    01-24-13 02:41 PM
    I'm pretty sure somewhere down the line we were told that BB10 will support native tethering on the devices. Since the 9900's have native tethering, I'd be pretty shocked if BB10 didnt have native mobile hotspot. After all, we are in 2013...
    01-24-13 04:38 PM
    I'm pretty sure somewhere down the line we were told that BB10 will support native tethering on the devices. Since the 9900's have native tethering, I'd be pretty shocked if BB10 didnt have native mobile hotspot. After all, we are in 2013...
    I couldn't say if big red or AT&T would charge you for it, because that's the carriers choice not RIMs deal. Technically in terms of tethering... USB Tethering to a desktop/laptop has always been a thing that BBs have had through desktop manager, and I don't see that stopping anytime soon. Wifi Hotspot also should be an option. I couldn't really comment on the tethering apps available, but it would seem likely that they will continue to exist and be supported.
    01-25-13 12:17 AM
    OP, I wonder why you had to purchase Tetherbridge. As far as I know, BB's allow tethering without any extra charge through the BB desktop software aside from the mobile hotspot which is being charged extra by carriers. But tethering through desktop software has always been free. This BB feature should carry over to the Z10.
    01-25-13 08:01 AM
    OP, I wonder why you had to purchase Tetherbridge. As far as I know, BB's allow tethering without any extra charge through the BB desktop software aside from the mobile hotspot which is being charged extra by carriers. But tethering through desktop software has always been free. This BB feature should carry over to the Z10.
    I think if you use the BB Desktop software, you have to pay the carrier charge for using your phone as a modem to connect to the internet - in my case (Verizon), they charged $10/month for this service.

Tetherbridge allowed me to do this without paying Verizon. It was a one-time fee for the app ($20), and then I could use my phone to get online with my PC whenever I wanted without paying for a separate service.
    01-25-13 12:11 PM
    Mobile Hotspot needs to be paid for on ATT
    01-25-13 12:17 PM
    It is still up to the carriers, no matter which method of tethering, to charge or not. Mobile Hotspot, BT, and USB tethering will be supported.
    01-25-13 12:17 PM
    Mobile hotspot is not free with any carrier. But tethering through BB desktop software and USB has always been free, at least with TMO. Is there anyone from another carrier who can confirm this?
    01-26-13 12:34 AM
    Thus is not the case with att , they will charge irrespective of thetering or hot spit
    01-26-13 01:23 AM
    Its a fairly complicated question, and the carriers tell us things that may or may not be true about their abilities to tell if you are tethering or not. Obviously, the carriers want us to think they can ALWAYS tell and you will always be billed some vast amount if you don't have the tethering package. But then they leave the functionality there for you to do it if you want to which is perplexing since they have much more ability to control the firmware on blackberries than other platforms.

Now, sharing your data does not seem to be something that they can easily tell if you are doing. If you are directly using your phone as a modem (like in USB tethering) where the device it's tether to obtains its own IP, then that's probably something they can see happening. But things like wifi sharing and similar, it doesn't seem to me that they would be able to tell without being very invasive, the same way things on the other side of my router can't see my devices at home. Particularly if you look at the playbook, and how it was built from the ground up to not need a data line of its own if you had a blackberry; it would seem that there must be ways around tethering charges. The key is in finding out what exactly each carrier is doing to monitor your usage.
    01-26-13 05:45 AM
    So, I will be upgrading to BlackBerry 10 on day 1. Currently, I am a US-based Verizon customer on my BlackBerry Storm2, and I am no longer on a contract. I will consider switching to AT&T.

I am wondering what tethering options there will be with the Z-10. I had used Tetherbridge on the Storm2, until I lost my original handset this past summer and had to replace it. I didn't get a new phone at that time because I didn't want to be locked into a 2-year deal with BB10 on the way, so I just bought a replacement Storm2 on ebay. In order to activate the Tetherbridge software, I would have had to re-purchase it for my new device, and knowing I would be switching to a brand new BB10 phone in six months, I decided to forego it. I was happy with Tetherbridge, although it required I be connected to my laptop via USB.

So, my question is, what options will I have on BB10? Will it come with native tethering ability, or will I need to do a work-around again because it's a service Verizon or AT&T will want to overcharge me for? If so, will TetherBridge be available on BB10? How about just plain Tether (that one works wirelessly, I believe, but is more expensive)?
    I have been wondering this same thing. I had purchased the Tether app a couple of years ago and while I very rarely use it I am still hopefull it will work on the new phones. I usually tether using bluetooth, but the cord is an option also.I am going to contact the app manufacturer and see if the will be offering support for BB10.
    01-26-13 06:10 PM
    In Dev Alpha, there is native support for Hotspot Tethering, just like in Android and iPhone
    Tethering Options on Z-10?-img_00000042.png
    01-27-13 12:32 AM
    Well I can't answer your question directly. But I can say that Sprint charges a $30 tethering fee. I have my Playbook synced to my BB phone. After countlessly trying to sync them I finally contacted RIM and they said I had to contact my carrier about the problem. So I did and found out that Sprint has to unblock the tethering function on my phone internally.
    01-28-13 08:07 AM
    Tether.com will save the day. Had a tether license for years, I'm sure they will update it for BB10
    kbz1960 and eninrebmun like this.
    01-28-13 01:34 PM
    This is actually a concern I had not considered until I read that Blackberry is allowing carriers to restrict it. My android phone couldn't care less what T-Mobile thinks and let's me use the data I pay for however I please.
    03-08-13 08:23 PM
    Upon reading the BlackBerry 10 ndk documentation for wifi I am discouraged. Developers have no control over the wifi module when it is in tethering mode. I think BlackBerry screwed us for mobile hotspot over wifi at least. Other things like bluetooth seem to be possible. This kinda sucks...
    03-08-13 08:39 PM
    Tether.com will save the day. Had a tether license for years, I'm sure they will update it for BB10
    If they don't someone else will.
    03-08-13 08:46 PM
    All new phones support USB tethering and portable hotspot in the OS. The carrier can choose to disable it, either by hiding the functions in the OS or just making them useless. The carrier can also choose to charge for it. Tethering and hotspot automatically change to a specific APN so the carriers can easily detect if it's going on.

I don't know what Verizon's policy is with tethering/hotspot, but whatever it does to Androids/iPhones, is going to apply to the Z10.
    03-08-13 08:47 PM
    All new phones support USB tethering and portable hotspot in the OS. The carrier can choose to disable it, either by hiding the functions in the OS or just making them useless. The carrier can also choose to charge for it. Tethering and hotspot automatically change to a specific APN so the carriers can easily detect if it's going on.

I don't know what Verizon's policy is with tethering/hotspot, but whatever it does to Androids/iPhones, is going to apply to the Z10.
    And it appears wifi hotspot is impossible to recreate because of the ndk limitations BlackBerry has imposed. Unhappy about this :/
    03-08-13 08:59 PM
    bump. Any news on this? Curious.
    03-10-13 01:14 AM
    So, as of right now, in the US, does anyone know of a way to use the Z10 as a modem, or tether to it? Like the iOS Jail break app MyWi or the old BBOS TetherBerry (now known as just Tether)? I am grandfathered in with Verizon to have unlimited, so I pay for phones at full retail, however if I can not use the phone as intended... kind of makes my unlimited pointless. :-(
    03-12-13 07:23 AM
    I would also liked to know this. Anyone tried sideloading one of the Android utilities like FoxiFi?
    03-15-13 06:30 PM
    Anyone tried sideloading one of the Android utilities like FoxiFi?
    Bump
    03-18-13 05:56 AM
    I don't get it why must u have an app for this. I tethered without any apps and even do it via blue tooth on a mac.

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Z10
    03-18-13 06:14 AM
    I'm with O2 in the UK and I can use the WiFi Hotspot fine without any charges. I've had my phone since the first day its first available day for purchase and I've certainly not been charged any extra.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-13 06:40 AM
79 123 ...