I had an unbranded/unlocked q5 (without ATT sim card). It got 10.2 update right out of the box. Now I have a new ATT branded z10, but its only at 10.1 and says its up to date. I was wondering if my z10 were to be unlocked would it receive updates from BB instead of ATT? Not sure where my q5 was getting it's updates from since it was not connected to ATT and only had the wifi on at the time of update. Thanks in advance.
    01-23-14 10:27 AM
    I had an unbranded/unlocked q5 (without ATT sim card). It got 10.2 update right out of the box. Now I have a new ATT branded z10, but its only at 10.1 and says its up to date. I was wondering if my z10 were to be unlocked would it receive updates from BB instead of ATT? Not sure where my q5 was getting it's updates from since it was not connected to ATT and only had the wifi on at the time of update. Thanks in advance.
    You will receive whatever updates that are pushed out by the carrier of the sim card you have in.
    Unless the updates start bypassing carriers as some rumours have been suggesting.
    01-23-14 10:52 AM
    thanks. i always wondered where my q5's update came from. i bought it online from best buy. it was a european version, no cellular branding. out of the box, brand new, connected to wifi (NO SIM CARD EVER INSTALLED), it said an upgrade was available 10.2xxxx it upgraded. I inserted my ATT SIM after this and polled for upgrades again and it said it was up to date...since ATT version is lower than the update i got. where did that update come from? straight from blackberry?
    01-23-14 12:52 PM
    thanks. i always wondered where my q5's update came from. i bought it online from best buy. it was a european version, no cellular branding. out of the box, brand new, connected to wifi (NO SIM CARD EVER INSTALLED), it said an upgrade was available 10.2xxxx it upgraded. I inserted my ATT SIM after this and polled for upgrades again and it said it was up to date...since ATT version is lower than the update i got. where did that update come from? straight from blackberry?
    It may have been an update from a different carrier.
    For example, before you bought it, it may have had a sim from a carrier inserted, pulled the update, then was sold.
    The update may have been waiting there from before you bought it. like sent to the phone but never actually updated so when you got it, there it was.
    Who knows....
    01-23-14 01:02 PM
    maybe. but the phone was brand new, no hints of being used. straight from best buy, so i doubt they repackage the phones. plus withoiut a sim card, the phone is no longer registered with any phone company, only phones with SIM's get updated pushed to them. if you are on airplane mode and an update is pushed, you wont get it until the phone is back on the cellular connection. i am wondering if BB was pushing these updates to unlocked phones that were connected to the internet (wifi). anyhow, i am going to call ATT and have them unlock the phone and then ill see if i get any updaes and report back.

It may have been an update from a different carrier.
    For example, before you bought it, it may have had a sim from a carrier inserted, pulled the update, then was sold.
    The update may have been waiting there from before you bought it. like sent to the phone but never actually updated so when you got it, there it was.
    Who knows....
    01-23-14 01:14 PM